Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Dash probably doesn't matter for that build, but I think Athena's defensive cast would work great with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Since I've beaten the game once and I have already picked a lot of the Fated Prophecy Boon choices already, now my goal is to experiment with specific builds and play styles in mind for fun and profit.

Right now, I'm focusing on a sniper crits style with the Chiron Bow. Even before getting to Asphodel, I've been doing obscene damage with a charged shot + special follow-up with Artemis Boons that give extra seeking arrows and bigger chances for crits plus Demeter Slow on Attack buff for good measure.

Are there any recommended Gods that have good synergy with this play style? I'm considering seeking out the Athena Deflect dash as a safety measure since it's pretty OP on any build, but maybe I should consider Ares too? I don't think I really want Poseidon knocking enemies around, even though it's normally super fun on a dash-and-smash melee build, especially in the Styx sewers levels.

Also, just want to add that my experience using the Rail has helped me feel more comfortable when going to the Bow and embracing a long-range play style. I really have to give the game credit for helping you to avoid staying fixated on a specific initial play style or set of Boons and gently incentivizes you to experiment around with unfamiliar weapons and Boons. As other posters have mentioned before, you might be surprised and find a new Boon or play style you end up really liking! :D

In case you haven't already tried this combo, try using Aphrodite on the attack with the Heart Rend Duo Boon

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

el dingo posted:

Tried it once with dio cast and it was ok. Tried again with aphro cast and that was pretty savage but at the end of the day it's a shield, safe and slow.

The game clock world record speedrun used Beowulf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYZx2t_B_S0

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

christmas boots posted:

In case you haven't already tried this combo, try using Aphrodite on the attack with the Heart Rend Duo Boon

Yeah for those who don’t know, Aphrodite gives the biggest % damage bonus. Artemis is the lowest(aside from Zeus, Dionysus, and Ares which don’t give an attack bonus at all) but comes with 15% crit which more than makes up for it. Most highest damage builds use one of those two. Poseidon, Demeter, and Athena give a lower damage bonus but come with some upside(Knockback, Chill, and Deflect) which can be the basis for some specific builds.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

christmas boots posted:

Okay, I'll consider it if Aphrodite shows up, thanks.

I've been watching some Mattsimus videos (really chill, seems to the know Hades' mechanics inside and out and explains them succinctly) and apparently the Artemis Attack Boon isn't ideal for crit fishing on the build I want to make for Chiron Bow.

Still, the Chiron Special attack + Artemis Support Fire Boon combo is really delicious and I've been enjoying that so far.

Here's a link: https://youtu.be/kujCmq7odw8

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Whooo..attempt 42 got my first escape. Spear skewer build but lotta other stuff goin on, cast was those laser gems powered up to I think lvl 7 by the end, lot of Zeus stuff, got his call early and was able to upgrade it, plus both lightning and doom powered up revenge damage. Felt good to meet Mom!.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Why does it list only a few of the Boons on-screen? Are they organized by how powerful they are or something else or is it just totally random?

I think it tries to pick the boons that it thinks did the most work for you for that top 5 list, but it's quite derpy.

If you want to see different boons on that list you can click on the panel of diamond boon icons, click the ones that're already there to remove them and click others to make them stick

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Hot drat the last aspect for the Sword hits like a truck.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
If I ever felt like Exit Wounds was nearly useless against Hades, I loving know it is now

(Not a bad boon per say, just Hades is invisible/invulnerable most of the fight)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Hot drat the last aspect for the Sword hits like a truck.

Hidden aspect sword is the most orthodox change but at the same time very radical since it goes from being a kinda bad low damage sword combo to a kinda bad stupid high damage sword combo with a giant anime sword. And then you find out about dodge offset and the attack string stops being bad. :getin:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Hidden aspect sword is the most orthodox change but at the same time very radical since it goes from being a kinda bad low damage sword combo to a kinda bad stupid high damage sword combo with a giant anime sword. And then you find out about dodge offset and the attack string stops being bad. :getin:

You mean dashing in the middle of a combo? That doesn't work for me at all

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Something I find amusing is when you first reach Styx as a newbie you're like "oh poo poo, it's really claustrophobic in here, I can't put distance between myself and the enemies oh poo poo oh gently caress" then later with enough experience and a powerful build you're like "it's a ballroom blitz wheeeee pew pew ker-pow!" as you tear it up.

In all, I feel like Styx is a test to gauge how good your build feels putting on the final touches and serves a last warm-up before the final boss.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AcidCat posted:

Whooo..attempt 42 got my first escape. Spear skewer build but lotta other stuff goin on, cast was those laser gems powered up to I think lvl 7 by the end, lot of Zeus stuff, got his call early and was able to upgrade it, plus both lightning and doom powered up revenge damage. Felt good to meet Mom!.

For me, it was getting to the usual overlook spot, but seeing a glorious sunrise accompanied by the swelling orchestral fanfare instead of the usual upcoming hurdles and bullshit waiting for me. drat, that felt like such a magnificent moment and crowning achievement for all my previous effort and the set-backs it took to finally get there.

Plus, I refused to give in and turn on God Mode; I wanted it to earn it the right way, so it felt extra meaningful for me. :D

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 27, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also, just want to add that my experience using the Rail has helped me feel more comfortable when going to the Bow and embracing a long-range play style. I really have to give the game credit for helping you to avoid staying fixated on a specific initial play style or set of Boons and gently incentivizes you to experiment around with unfamiliar weapons and Boons. As other posters have mentioned before, you might be surprised and find a new Boon or play style you end up really liking! :D

Try a short/medium ranged playstyle with the Bow at least once. You don't have to charge so long to fire your shots, so you can just charge > fire > dodge > repeat. Hammers really help here since Point-Blank Shot, Twin Shots and Explosive Shot all really make your shots sting harder and the rapid rate of firing makes up for the lower base damage from less charged shots.

Sanctum posted:

If I ever felt like Exit Wounds was nearly useless against Hades, I loving know it is now

I feel like Exit Wounds is really only worth it with Posiedon Sword since you can force it to happen. Regardless, Artemis feels like one of the least impactful Legendaries unless your build/Aspect specifically gears for it. It's brutal in like a Demeter Cast build or Exit Wounds or Hera build, but on an average no-planning run it doesn't impact your runs too much.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Something I find amusing is when you first reach Styx as a newbie you're like "oh poo poo, it's really claustrophobic in here, I can't put distance between myself and the enemies oh poo poo oh gently caress" then later with enough experience and a powerful build you're like "it's a ballroom blitz wheeeee pew pew ker-pow!" as you tear it up.

In all, I feel like Styx is a test to gauge how good your build feels putting on the final touches and serves a last warm-up before the final boss.
i don't think i ever had the first part of this experience

when i got to styx for the first time i thought "wow this is so much easier than elysium" and got through it no problem

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

RatHat posted:

Yeah for those who don’t know, Aphrodite gives the biggest % damage bonus. Artemis is the lowest(aside from Zeus, Dionysus, and Ares which don’t give an attack bonus at all) but comes with 15% crit which more than makes up for it. Most highest damage builds use one of those two. Poseidon, Demeter, and Athena give a lower damage bonus but come with some upside(Knockback, Chill, and Deflect) which can be the basis for some specific builds.

And then Heart Rend causes your critical hits to do more damage to weak enemies, so for Chiron you’re tagging them with an Aphrodite attack and then letting loose a rain of boosted crits and you rack up damage pretty quickly.

Chiron has a lot of fun builds (I like Demeter on special too, with arctic blast)

Rama took some time to get used to but I had some success doing the Aphrodite/Artemis build again but in reverse (Artemis on attack)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, the hardest parts of Styx are actually the big open rooms where it's harder for you to dodge things like Satyr spit and Snakestone beams and not only do the rats have more room to drop puddles, but the curing pools are further apart.

I think the only weapon that might have trouble in the small rooms of Styx might be the Spear if you're used to kinda just keeping enemies in tipping range.

christmas boots posted:

And then Heart Rend causes your critical hits to do more damage to weak enemies, so for Chiron you’re tagging them with an Aphrodite attack and then letting loose a rain of boosted crits and you rack up damage pretty quickly.

Don't forget to tack on Sweet Surrender (bonus damage against Weak). Aphrodite is a vicious God when set up right. No wonder Achilles calls her possibly the most dangerous God.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Weird. It's good and I won with it on my first try, but I don't do well with cast-dependent weaponry and that's one of them. This is mainly because I tend to forget about casts until I get a broken Duo using them
Beowulf shield is ideal for that style tho since your 'cast' is transformed into a big damage buff rather than being a little poke you throw on bosses for the damage buff. Also if you normally use the "automatically regenerate casts" mirror over 3x cast, switch for Beowulf for big, satisfying hits.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Right now, I'm focusing on a sniper crits style with the Chiron Bow. Even before getting to Asphodel, I've been doing obscene damage with a charged shot + special follow-up with Artemis Boons that give extra seeking arrows and bigger chances for crits plus Demeter Slow on Attack buff for good measure.

Are there any recommended Gods that have good synergy with this play style? I'm considering seeking out the Athena Deflect dash as a safety measure since it's pretty OP on any build, but maybe I should consider Ares too? I don't think I really want Poseidon knocking enemies around, even though it's normally super fun on a dash-and-smash melee build, especially in the Styx sewers levels.

Ares or Dio (especially Dio) special are great if you're playing very safe with chiron since they do a lot of damage with each occasional hit. Ares special on chiron is brutal if you're able to get the upgrade which gives +10 doom damage per additional application.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Nothing like turning on EM4 yesterday, starting a run, putting the game down in the fifth chamber, resuming today, playing sloppily and entering the last fight with only one DD, and not remember about EM4 until midway through the first phase.

Whoopsie!

What’s everyone’s preferred companion? I’ve been running with Mort lately. Seems to be a pretty good nuke against some bosses. I still have one more to unlock (Sisyphus ).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

Beowulf shield is ideal for that style tho since your 'cast' is transformed into a big damage buff rather than being a little poke you throw on bosses for the damage buff. Also if you normally use the "automatically regenerate casts" mirror over 3x cast, switch for Beowulf for big, satisfying hits.

I'm back to the x3 bloodstones over the regenerating one. The other one is probably better, if you remember it, and you can use it more freely, but the x3 can result in such significant burst damage, and it's easier to just spam the button and forget about the crystals.

Wildtortilla posted:

Nothing like turning on EM4 yesterday, starting a run, putting the game down in the fifth chamber, resuming today, playing sloppily and entering the last fight with only one DD, and not remember about EM4 until midway through the first phase.

Whoopsie!

What’s everyone’s preferred companion? I’ve been running with Mort lately. Seems to be a pretty good nuke against some bosses. I still have one more to unlock (Sisyphus ).

Than's is great. Meg isn't bad, and Sisyphus's was fun but not all that impressive. I used Skelly's for a while and I was pretty impressed, but since you can also damage it, it doesn't last quite as long as you'd like, but it can buy some crucial seconds. Really though I just forget to use those things in almost every run.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Really though I just forget to use those things in almost every run.

Extremely same

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Plus the game reminds you to use them. Theres no helping some people

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sisyphus companion can be useful for a quick health top up, if the RNG for the drops smiles on you.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

el dingo posted:

Plus the game reminds you to use them. Theres no helping some people

I'm trying to get into the habit using one per boss (I don't take them unless they're fully upgraded). I think I've panic buttoned Meg, once or twice now, and she was useful-ish.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I routinely forget about companions too. Though I’m getting better at remembering - Than’s wrecks Lernie’s second round of extra heads.

Than + Aphrodite or Artemis call puts Theseus down quickly, too. He starts his god calling bullshit and you nuke him into oblivion. It’s satisfying every single time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I haven’t even unlocked companions yet, is that just keep giving them nectar until you can give them ambrosia?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

priznat posted:

I haven’t even unlocked companions yet, is that just keep giving them nectar until you can give them ambrosia?

Exactly, but there's 6, so there's only a few people who'll give you one.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The RNG is being a huge duck to me today. First it made me choose between hammer and Hermes. Now it’s hammer or Ares + Aphrodite room on a boon starved run.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wildtortilla posted:

The high-level players universally use Meg's, because it's both high damage against single bosses, and can hit multiple enemies (theseus & bull, witches' circle). But it's also a skillshot.

Personally I like achilles. Less damage, guaranteed hits, no risk from positioning, zero skill required. OTOH I can't use anything but skelly against dad yet.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don’t even really know how to use the companions. I just rock with Skelly for the penultimate Lernie stage and Hades first EM4 stage if I remember. I’m not certain what the other ones do (besides Dusa who is cute but not very effective)

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

indigi posted:

I don’t even really know how to use the companions. I just rock with Skelly for the penultimate Lernie stage and Hades first EM4 stage if I remember. I’m not certain what the other ones do (besides Dusa who is cute but not very effective)

Different ways/areas of effect to do damage except for Bouldy, who drops money/health/shadow too.
They can be very useful for knocking a phase of a boss or miniboss (early minibosses almost die).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I roll with Sisyphus now mostly actually. The coin is always helpful, and it's funny to see characters like Theseus react to 'a rock?!'.

I think I go Sisyphus > Thanatos > Meg > Skelly > Achilles = Dusa. Achilles feels resoundingly meh.

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif
newb question: does titan blood always - or just sometimes - drop on death? if I die in Asphodel or Elysium, I find it's not longer among my collections when I'm reborn.

sorry if this has been asked and answered already - I couldn't find a straight answer elsewhere...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sean_bateman posted:

newb question: does titan blood always - or just sometimes - drop on death? if I die in Asphodel or Elysium, I find it's not longer among my collections when I'm reborn.

sorry if this has been asked and answered already - I couldn't find a straight answer elsewhere...

The boss loot always drops the first time you kill the boss with each weapon. After that killing them again gives you a big chunk of darkness. When you beat the final boss you get a new mechanic that allows you to collect more blood, diamonds, etc.

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif
THANK you

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The big thing here is that you need to use your first six blood carefully, because you will not get access to more of it until you kill the final boss.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Khizan posted:

The big thing here is that you need to use your first six blood carefully, because you will not get access to more of it until you kill the final boss.

Do you really not get more blood prior to that first win? I feel like I was getting blood both from prophecies and the vendor.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Khizan posted:

You could always trade Ambrosia too if you really need to. You'll need a fair amount of it eventually, but that's not for a good long while and by then you'll have access to more of it and Titan Blood anyhow.

^Yeah, some of the prophecies give it out too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

christmas boots posted:

You could always trade Ambrosia too if you really need to. You'll need a fair amount of it eventually, but that's not for a good long while and by then you'll have access to more of it and Titan Blood anyhow.

^Yeah, some of the prophecies give it out too.

I was worried about Ambrosia and never traded any of it for blood, except those I could get in Special Deals, and you end up with a huge surplus if you keep everything you get out of the prophecies. I'm pretty sure it's enough for maxing all the buddies and maybe 15 blood left over. I can't be certain as I continue to beat the game, but Ambrosia is the resource you get the least of in a run (I guess diamonds but those aren't all that difficult to grind).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Id say it took longer to max all the aspects than to complete all the relationships.