Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

xZAOx posted:

Check out the Dressing Room addon, here's the current version: https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2138-DressingRoomforStonethorn.html. It'll let you easily swap gear and action bars.

(it's kind of confusing if you just search for Dressing Room on Minion to know what to install, but it's that one)

Regarding quest cap - man that was killing me too, but I learned to just let it go. Decide on what you're going to do (say like main quest + a certain zone). Abandon all the rest. Esp all those prologue ones. You can always pick them back up again. Install the "Quest Map" addon (and it's dependencies!), and you can always find whatever you're missing.

As for prologues, I highly recommend starting the Orsinium quest one until you get your first completion. That is unless you actually enjoy hearing ‘DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I’VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU?’ every 20 feet when you are in a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Trip update: 2h is a fun skill line and all other builds are now dead to me.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ort posted:

Trip update: 2h is a fun skill line and all other builds are now dead to me.

:black101: :yeshaha:

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

Doctor Zero posted:

As for prologues, I highly recommend starting the Orsinium quest one until you get your first completion. That is unless you actually enjoy hearing ‘DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I’VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU?’ every 20 feet when you are in a city.

I need to do that orc quest ASAP

Ok maybe I just hate warden. Ive been having a lot more fun on my stamblade and also started a necro and this class has totally rad animations. Wish I could pair 2h skills with the magicka skills because I like their animations better than the stam morphs but it is still very rad.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Also there's food that helps you level, besides all the XP scrolls:

If you check https://alcasthq.com/ the builds will show the foods you want to buy.
But if you're only leveling, ignore the best there and just get anything, just definitely make sure you've eaten food.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ort posted:

Ok maybe I just hate warden. Ive been having a lot more fun on my stamblade and also started a necro and this class has totally rad animations. Wish I could pair 2h skills with the magicka skills because I like their animations better than the stam morphs but it is still very rad.

Necro probably has the best impact attacks, since that seems like what you're into.

Do the Mage Guild so you get Shooting Star and you can slam a giant star into the whole area, it's an ultimate tho.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've just done some basic dungeons while leveling, but I don't really feel like I have a good grasp of tanking- partly because I don't know how much of it is just blocking vs trying to attack and also everything feels like its so easy that it doesn't really matter. Does it get more interesting later on?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

StashAugustine posted:

I've just done some basic dungeons while leveling, but I don't really feel like I have a good grasp of tanking- partly because I don't know how much of it is just blocking vs trying to attack and also everything feels like its so easy that it doesn't really matter. Does it get more interesting later on?

In normal dungeons and overworld content? Definitely no, as everything has been nerfed to the ground difficulty-wise. Other than that tank is imo the "busiest" of archetypes when grouping. Taunting correct mobs in a heap of them, piling trash, lots of debuffs, buffs and healing to upkeep, not loving up and dying, not loving up and wiping everyone else with your positioning. Yeah, busy enough for me at least.

e: Well, there are a few wb's and certain harrowstorms where people appreciate a tank even overworld. Generally they're not exactly challenging though.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I casually tank vet dungeons on my necro and thanks to the current state of CPs and gear enchants, I can still blitz through solo content and arenas as magicka DPS.

I got 64 points in magicka and all I need to do to switch between roles is eat food, hit two buttons to change gear and ability load out. If I feel like it I can also quickly change CPs.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ort posted:

Just curious - what is it about Warden you aren't liking?

Doctor Zero posted:

Just curious - what is it about Warden you aren't liking?

I think mostly trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I wanted to try an ice mage type build which worked ok, but I’m not typically a fan of “animal handler” archetypes or animal companions in games, so I was really limited to using maybe 2 skills I liked and a lot that I wasn’t a big fan of.

I also like to try to form my characters around an achetype in my head but it’s always limited by animations. I like illusionist, spellsword, and things focused on night kind of like dark magic. Balance druid skills in WoW like moonfire and starfire are my jam, as examples. So I sometimes try to shoehorn my character into one of these and it doesn’t always work out.

The color and animations of magcro kind of remind me of what moonfire might look like or the old star fire animation in classic wow so I can get down with that whole moon priest idea as I’m playing it. Gonna grab shooting star and necrotic orb too, they fit the theme well. Pretty pumped about it.

Nightblade is also very fun and fits that dark magic/illusionist thing I like. Sorc has some animations and skills I like but I don’t love pets or lightning really. Stamsorc I enjoy but I don’t love how hurricane changes your appearance all of the time.

Open to suggestions! This type of stuff is rarely a dealbreaker for me in games and I usually end up playing what is mechanically fun when I get to endgame, but I like to get some themes going when I can.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wish dungeon finder wouldn't keep giving me White Gold Tower. What a boring-rear end dungeon

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:
The new Multithreading option in the latest update is a miraculous performance boost, I went from 30 FPS in cities on medium settings to 60 FPS with everything maxed out. I can't imagine it'd help with the burnout a lot of people get, but for active players it seems like a fantastic change.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Whisperer solo is a SLOG wow that took forever. She wasn't really a threat thanks to my healing spell but I swear to god spam the same attacks over and over and watch her health sloooowly go down.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

How do you get to Craglorn? I'm in Wayrest and I cannot find this Star-Gazer Herald guy, and I want to participate in the event!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StrixNebulosa posted:

How do you get to Craglorn? I'm in Wayrest and I cannot find this Star-Gazer Herald guy, and I want to participate in the event!
It was meant to be an endgame zone so you have to walk to it from bangkorai to do it naturally. If you post your @name you can join the guild I can give you a port there, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It was meant to be an endgame zone so you have to walk to it from bangkorai to do it naturally. If you post your @name you can join the guild I can give you a port there, though.

Oh! Walking there from another zone feels more natural to me, I want to do that!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

made the walk from the capital out to craglorn myself just last night, it's nice

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's me, I'm the person who tries not to use fast travel if I can help it. I want to explore these places, not just run around doing dots on a map.

As a related question, how often does ESO do events? Are any as bad as the mog tome events in ffxiv, where if you don't sit down and do the worst dungeon in the game repeatedly, you can't really afford to get the event stuff?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fair enough. The zone is level scaled like the rest of the game so most of it you should be fine with, some parts have little + symbols, those are meant to be group areas and are a bit harder. There should be plenty of people around for the event, though.

If you want to do the Imperial City part of the event be aware that's a PVP zone. If you die you lose half your Telvar which is an IC only currency, you can bank it at any bank, including the bank at the base, though. You don't lose anything else when you die, though so don't worry about losing gold or anything from your inventory or anything like that.

You have to be a subscriber or have the dlcs to do this event right?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's me, I'm the person who tries not to use fast travel if I can help it. I want to explore these places, not just run around doing dots on a map.

As a related question, how often does ESO do events? Are any as bad as the mog tome events in ffxiv, where if you don't sit down and do the worst dungeon in the game repeatedly, you can't really afford to get the event stuff?
Events are about one per month. The events are "do thing once a day, get ticket" the things are generally short, sometimes you have to do two of them like this event where they split the tickets. The event exclusive stuff is not grindy. You can grind for the bonus loot but that's not event exclusive, just event bonus of regularly available loot. The tickets are spent at the impressario, you want to spend them on the things that are fragments, the style pages can be bought for gold, and are generally really cheap a bit later in the event. Some events, like the next one, are exclusive to owning DLC content, but most of them are open to everyone. You can only have 12 tickets at a time, so spend them when you get to 10.

Ort posted:

You have to be a subscriber or have the dlcs to do this event right?
No, Craglorn is base game. Imperial City is technically DLC, but it's free. You just go to the crown store and "buy" it for 0 crowns. Wrothgar is DLC and part of the event, but you can get your two daily tickets without going there.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 26, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Events are about one per month. The events are "do thing once a day, get ticket" the things are generally short, sometimes you have to do two of them like this event where they split the tickets. The event exclusive stuff is not grindy. You can grind for the bonus loot but that's not event exclusive, just event bonus of regularly available loot. The tickets are spent at the impressario, you want to spend them on the things that are fragments, the style pages can be bought for gold, and are generally really cheap a bit later in the event. Some events, like the next one, are exclusive to owning DLC content, but most of them are open to everyone. You can only have 12 tickets at a time, so spend them when you get to 10.

No, Craglorn is base game. Imperial City is technically DLC, but it's free. You just go to the crown store and "buy" it for 0 crowns. Wrothgar is DLC and part of the event, but you can get your two daily tickets without going there.

Thanks!

I walked to Craglorn, and.... now to find a skull n' crossbones thing that ISN'T group-play only. C'mon game, have mercy on the solo gamers.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thanks!

I walked to Craglorn, and.... now to find a skull n' crossbones thing that ISN'T group-play only. C'mon game, have mercy on the solo gamers.
The skull n' crossbones (they're swords, actually) world bosses are all group play everywhere, the ones in Craglorn are extra group play, but still soloable. You soloed a group dungeon above (Spindleclutch 1) so you may well be able to beat them solo.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah the group play/group area warnings are mostly a warning for "this is harder than regular crap." There isn't any actual barrier to you attempting whatever.

Also craglorn was the 'max level endgame' zone waay back when, so most of the stuff there was designed with that in mind.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The skull n' crossbones (they're swords, actually) world bosses are all group play everywhere, the ones in Craglorn are extra group play, but still soloable. You soloed a group dungeon above (Spindleclutch 1) so you may well be able to beat them solo.

Huh! Either I am blind or ESO sucks at communicating if something should be group or not.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Huh! Either I am blind or ESO sucks at communicating if something should be group or not.
The information is there, but ESO does suck at communicating, so I wouldn't blame yourself.

In the map screen, if you hover over an icon it gives you a little tool tip of info.

I don't know where the tooltip is for the Dungeons like Spindleclutch, but they do have the + sign.

I had some level 5 in zone chat ask for help with a trial quest they picked up, which unlike the above is actually not soloable. In general though, besides trials and DLC dungeons, most group content is soloable, just harder. ESO does have a help menu F1, that no one ever uses but is actually not bad. There's still a lot of stuff that's not there, though, especially if you want to know how numbers work rather than just concepts.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 26, 2021

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

StrixNebulosa posted:

ESO sucks at communicating

Yes. 10000% this. It is known, about every angle and aspect of the game. ESO is purestrain dogshit at teaching players how anything works, everything I've learned about it came from other players.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Lotta new players, are any of you guys in an active guild together? I got 2/5 spots left

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

There is a goon guild on PCNA. It's active in that dozens of people log in frequently (50 or so people in the last day), it's not active in that we don't coordinate to do things together. But if you and others want to make it more active we certainly could. Post your username and I'll invite.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Also I noticed using the new multithreading option definitely makes it run at like double the speed, but my CPU usage is up from 20ish% to 41%

I have an i9 9900k, so not too old but it's definitely running it hard. I think I'm going to turn it off, I don't need my PC dying right now when you can't get anything.

user: @bluedust1

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Actively using your CPU is not going to strain it in any remotely measurable fashion unless your çhassis airflow is completely terrible beyond words and your thermal paste is non existent.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

There is a goon guild on PCNA. It's active in that dozens of people log in frequently (50 or so people in the last day), it's not active in that we don't coordinate to do things together. But if you and others want to make it more active we certainly could. Post your username and I'll invite.

@Strixel

Alright, let me in the guild!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Actively using your CPU is not going to strain it in any remotely measurable fashion unless your çhassis airflow is completely terrible beyond words and your thermal paste is non existent.

Agreed if it was just ESO. But I have 2 monitors and I play videos and poo poo on the second. Big problem was buying a main 3440x1440x120 monitor, but too late now.

Unless using over 70% of my CPU all day while I play ESO and other stuff at the same time is okay.

I turned it off and still get 90ish FPS with only 20% CPU so I'm cool.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Barreft posted:

Agreed if it was just ESO. But I have 2 monitors and I play videos and poo poo on the second. Big problem was buying a main 3440x1440x120 monitor, but too late now.

Unless using over 70% of my CPU all day while I play ESO and other stuff at the same time is okay.

I turned it off and still get 90ish FPS with only 20% CPU so I'm cool.
Your CPU should be able to run at 100%, they're designed for that. If it's really not coping it'll throttle back down to something that doesn't produce as much heat on its own, you don't need to babysit it.

Unless you're actively getting bad interference with the other stuff you're doing I'd leave all options that give you the best performance on and not worry about it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Ran normal Maelstrom again today. Dropped FOUR weapons. So if you still need yours, this is the event to grind it.

I just wish it didn't take me like 50 loving minutes. I had a couple of goofs, but I can't really see it under 35-40, maybe 30 when I compete the rest of my gear.

Not even gonna try vet, heh.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

drat yeah I need a maelstrom staff. Too late now but I'll be on tmw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barreft posted:

Of course it is, it's only a problem if it interferes with stuff running or you hit thermal shutdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I would beat the fhcuking poo poo out of all of you noobs.