Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lower decks ep was really great

Laughed more than I have at any show in a long time

Lost it at the perfect comic timing of he works in a thieves' den in that pirate base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Really good episode, and I’m glad they’re changing up the pairing dynamics now!

Rutherford’s plot was my favourite. The Black Mountain. :stare:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

roomtone posted:

The lighting in the top image is austere and a bit unsettling. The bottom one is unimaginative because everything is blue nowadays, but that doesn't automatically make the top one good for what the bridge of the Enterprise should look like. The top one would be good lighting of either a corporate monolith or some creepy science ship.

I don't watch Discovery so I'm just going by the image.

The lighting at the top looks like a loving supermarket lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So do you think the Lower Decks white piping is just white material? I think it's a reflector material, like high vis fabric but maybe future-y.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

MikeJF posted:

Tiny image, but I gotta say, the initial previs that they used to set up the lighting on the Enterprise bridge for Disco looks way nicer than what they ended up going with

NES Bridge would have been infinitely better.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

T'Ana has a tail!

Cross-Section posted:

Though some of those shots of the Engineering section kinda threw me for a loop since they made it look like it’s not even attached to the ship lol

This shot makes me wonder if Cerritos can just pop off the nacelles and engineering and leave the pylons with the saucer and have a tiny super-fast warp ship.

WHEEEE

The_Doctor posted:

Rutherford’s plot was my favourite. The Black Mountain. :stare:

The subtitles keep going for a bit after it gets too muffled to hear, apparently the surviving father makes you eat your own heart

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well, that was a pretty solid episode.

:laffo: at Paris screaming “A KAZON!” and immediately beating the poo poo out of Boimler

Was that reaction with Boimler in the red bandanna a ref to the Kazon being unfortunately described as 'bloods and crips' behind the scenes

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 27, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

This shot makes me wonder if Cerritos can just pop off the nacelles and engineering and leave the pylons with the saucer and have a tiny super-fast warp ship.

WHEEEE

aka the captain's sick rear end yacht

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Aces High posted:

so Shax's deal is just Bajoran stuff, right?

i dunno, that's where my mind went but feels like it was kept deliberately ambiguous also

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aces High posted:

so Shax's deal is just Bajoran stuff, right?

No mention of pah, prophets, etc

but... maybe

I agree it was deliberately ambiguous but I'm sure memory gamma is filling up with explanations

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

lol, i had forgotten about this one

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Noble has been cast as the villain in Prodigy.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Timby posted:

John Noble has been cast as the villain in Prodigy.

He should really be in all sci-fi franchises

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nichael posted:

He should really be in all sci-fi franchises

He really should.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo that was a top 3 LDS episode. I was actually in tears.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I keep forgetting to come in here and gush about the show. LDS is still kicking it. That was such a great episode. I hope this show gets its seven year Star Trek run and then some if they can keep churning this out.

I am all about the Klingon Acid Punk.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have heard Mike McMahan was included in the five year Kurtzman deal so I'd say chances are good we're getting seven seasons. Maybe LDS will break the mold and get eight. :eyepop:

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
I am really enjoying this season. I really want to know how getting fired works, since it’s come up at least twice. Do you get flat out kicked out of Starfleet, or are you sent off to Starbase 80, or something else?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if Will Boimler assigned the Boimler user profile to himself in the Starfleet system and left our guy without any profile.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if Will Boimler assigned the Boimler user profile to himself in the Starfleet system and left our guy without any profile.

Either that or he doesn't match the biometrics on file. But it seems unlikely he wouldn't have had a thorough medical after that incident.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

William Boimler somehow ends up in the same Cardassian prison as Tom Riker and for whatever reason Brad Boimler ends up rescuing them both.

Anyway, another great episode, glad we finally got the Mariner/Tendi pairing and more bits of Orion background on the side. It was neat seeing odd locations I'd totally forgotten about turn up again. One of them even redid an old TNG matte painting in the new art style I think. Plus more DS9 content than I expected: another Quark's franchise on Qualor II, Vic Fontaine is also playing there, Mariner was even stationed on DS9 at the same time as Worf.

That does again make me wonder a couple things about Mariner. Is she lying about her age, or was she a really young field commission/academy fast-track graduate, or maybe a wartime promotion like Nog?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Delsaber posted:

... , or maybe a wartime promotion like Nog?

I'd bet on this one if they ever have to establish it at all. There was a bit in DS9 where they someone mentioned that a lot of cadets got seriously fast tracked during the war.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The thing is Mariner is super-competent - she's one of those "Starfleet engineers that can turn rocks into replicators." But she hates - completely hates - authority and any of the auspices that go with it. Boimler, on the other hand, loves rank and authority and that dimension of Starfleet.

What makes them friends is that they are both huge, and I mean, absolutely huge, Star Trek nerds. Like participants in the thread huge. No matter how different they are, or how different they express that nerddom, it's also what bonds them.

I think it's weird that they needed to have separate stories for me to get that.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

ashpanash posted:

The thing is Mariner is super-competent - she's one of those "Starfleet engineers that can turn rocks into replicators." But she hates - completely hates - authority and any of the auspices that go with it.

I kinda just realized that Mariner pretty easily could've ended up with the Maquis if they hadn't got smoked by the Dominion. She's a bit of a Torres type, just with less of a temper and more of a trickster streak. Plus going Maquis definitely would've pissed off her mom.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Delsaber posted:

That does again make me wonder a couple things about Mariner. Is she lying about her age, or was she a really young field commission/academy fast-track graduate, or maybe a wartime promotion like Nog?

Are they the same age, though? One of her academy classmates has reached captaincy.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I assume 20 is basically the same as 50 in the Federation

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I mean, Paul Rudd has that technology today.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I punched "Beckett Mariner" into Google so I could get at the Memory Alpha page and was mildly blindsided by the autocomplete.

(i tried this again in a private browser on a different computer and it came up the same thing i'm not into cartoons i swear)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I figure she's 30 or so. It's 2381, she's been on the Cerritos for two years, since 2379, then the Quito before that, DS9 before that while Worf was there (so sometime during 2372-2375), three other ships. I figure she's probably a few years younger than Wesley, was a teenager on the D while Freeman served under Riker. So say she was born in 2350, was 14 when she went with her mother to live on the D when it launched in 2364, went to the academy in 2368 or so, (season 5 of TNG), graduated 2372, bounced around, plenty of time to serve on all those ships and have all these vast experiences and do those few black ops missions.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
If human life spans have popped up to the 125-130 range 30 might as well be the new 20 anyway

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

After hearing about the black mountain the space koala makes a lot more sense

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

They almost never get specific about people's ages in Star Trek, right? The only character I even remember who had their age stated was Julian in DS9 when he was anxious about turning 30. That itself feels like a 90's thing because people don't care as much about that anymore, I think - but generally I think they leave it vague on purpose so you can suggest that these people are all much older than you think they are without having to say 'picard's 60 in season 1' or be tied to it.

It's clear humans live a bit longer than they do now, I at least remember McCoy in the pilot of TNG being about 120 or something, but do they ever say that people age more slowly or is it just that you get 20 more years of being old now?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

found a bigger shot of NES bridge

Still prefer the concept version. That said, even without changing the general scheme, actual set would be vastly improved with some matte spray, it gives me a headache just looking at the picture.

Stylistic opinions aside, I'm kinda surprised they blew up the size quite that much after all the issues the scale of the Discovery bridge has given them in framing shots. I guess they figure with the helm right there close up and Spock and Uhura close behind the captain it won't matter.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 27, 2021

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
^I like white one way better.

ashpanash posted:

What makes them friends is that they are both huge, and I mean, absolutely huge, Star Trek nerds.

Ahem, History and Celebrity Gossip nerds.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MikeJF posted:

I figure she's 30 or so. It's 2381, she's been on the Cerritos for two years, since 2379, then the Quito before that, DS9 before that while Worf was there (so sometime during 2372-2375), three other ships. I figure she's probably a few years younger than Wesley, was a teenager on the D while Freeman served under Riker. So say she was born in 2350, was 14 when she went with her mother to live on the D when it launched in 2364, went to the academy in 2368 or so, (season 5 of TNG), graduated 2372, bounced around, plenty of time to serve on all those ships and have all these vast experiences and do those few black ops missions.
I'm kind of head-canoning that Mariner was actually in Nog's class (so 2371-74 at the academy), since that gives her time to serve on DS9 (maybe as part of the same field studies program that saw Nog return to DS9) and then 5 years to serve on other ships. Maybe she served nonconsecutively on the Quito, because apparently she served on DS9 right before and was also previously on the Quito before she got assigned to the Cerritos.

So DS9>Quito>4 other ships>Quito>Cerritos.

And then I get sad because we can't have an episode where Nog shows up and they get into misadventures.

Maybe we could have some flashbacks with some of the DS9 cast down the road, at least.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe when she says she's served on five ships one of them was Defiant at DS9.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

roomtone posted:

They almost never get specific about people's ages in Star Trek, right? The only character I even remember who had their age stated was Julian in DS9 when he was anxious about turning 30. That itself feels like a 90's thing because people don't care as much about that anymore, I think - but generally I think they leave it vague on purpose so you can suggest that these people are all much older than you think they are without having to say 'picard's 60 in season 1' or be tied to it.

It's clear humans live a bit longer than they do now, I at least remember McCoy in the pilot of TNG being about 120 or something, but do they ever say that people age more slowly or is it just that you get 20 more years of being old now?

Scotty is said to be 147 in Relics, I think.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Delsaber posted:

William Boimler somehow ends up in the same Cardassian prison as Tom Riker and for whatever reason Brad Boimler ends up rescuing them both.

Anyway, another great episode, glad we finally got the Mariner/Tendi pairing and more bits of Orion background on the side. It was neat seeing odd locations I'd totally forgotten about turn up again. One of them even redid an old TNG matte painting in the new art style I think. Plus more DS9 content than I expected: another Quark's franchise on Qualor II, Vic Fontaine is also playing there, Mariner was even stationed on DS9 at the same time as Worf.

How can she be lying about her age if she's never said her age? Unless you mean lie by omission when she didn't correct Boimler when he said "You're the same age as me".

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Timby posted:

Scotty is said to be 147 in Relics, I think.

That's pretty good then because he looks half that.

edit: actually wait, wasn't he in stasis for half that

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Actually, going on a bit about the bridge lighting, I looked up some more and saw photos of filming, and

photo

screenshot

Are they bluifying the whole thing in post for some reason?

God, yeah, this is them shooting the one I posted above:

Why? Good grief it looks so much better pre-processed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah even the lighting during filming without the blue filter looks great.