Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Got my photon mono last week but didn't get around to turning it on til Fri night. The first print was underexposed, but the next 5 worked nicely. The vehicles have scarring from being oversupported and photon workshop is kinda rough, but I didn't have to give battlefront $200 and can cover up blemishes with stowage/battle damage for character.

Thanks for peer pressuring me into it! I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

Got my photon mono last week but didn't get around to turning it on til Fri night. The first print was underexposed, but the next 5 worked nicely. The vehicles have scarring from being oversupported and photon workshop is kinda rough, but I didn't have to give battlefront $200 and can cover up blemishes with stowage/battle damage for character.

Thanks for peer pressuring me into it! I think.

Give Lychee Slicer a try, it exports files in the Anycubic file format (I forget the file extension). I have a Photon Mono also, and have had no problems printing files sliced in Lychee Slicer with it. I think the only thing that doesn't work 100% is auto aliasing, from what I've read, but it hasn't been a major issue with the miniatures I've printed on it so far.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Give Lychee Slicer a try, it exports files in the Anycubic file format (I forget the file extension). I have a Photon Mono also, and have had no problems printing files sliced in Lychee Slicer with it. I think the only thing that doesn't work 100% is auto aliasing, from what I've read, but it hasn't been a major issue with the miniatures I've printed on it so far.

Unless you get a pro license the big issue is not being able to hollow 1 model at a time on the plate which sucks.

That said there's a TON of extra functionality in a pro license and I recommend it fully

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

Unless you get a pro license the big issue is not being able to hollow 1 model at a time on the plate which sucks.

That said there's a TON of extra functionality in a pro license and I recommend it fully

Yes indeed, plus it's still pretty cheap, IIRC.

Also I meant "anti-aliasing" in my previous post, I have no idea what "auto aliasing" is :v:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lol, I knew what you were getting at.

Are there any recommended resins for making something like this? If I start now it'll be a bitching christmas present for my spouse, but it looks like it's made with filament.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Pretty much any resin should do, maybe something with a bit of toughness/flex as you might end up throwing them around a bit. Given they're designed for FDM they're pretty chunky, unless you overcure them and make it brittle they should be pretty resilient.

You can print those files on a resin printer, you will probably need to add supports to some, hollow out the mountains to save resin. I loaded the files in chitubox and the hexes are slightly too big to print flat on my mars2 build plate. I could print them at an angle, or scale them down slightly, or get a bigger printer.

Speaking of bigger, elegoo announced the Jupiter. It looks like it's a significant size bump on a Saturn but smaller than Phrozen's mega 8k printer/detached bedroom.

Just gimme a Saturn pro already!!!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone have a recommended scrape...thing for cleaning the fep / getting failed prints off? I think the stock one that came with my Photon S is at the end of it's life and all chipped to hell.

Also anyone got a favorite reusable resin filter? I tried a cheap metal coffee strainer but that took hours to drain.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

anyone know of some good knight helmets that I could print to swap for the age of sigmar stormcast heads?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Springfield Fatts posted:

Anyone have a recommended scrape...thing for cleaning the fep / getting failed prints off? I think the stock one that came with my Photon S is at the end of it's life and all chipped to hell.

Also anyone got a favorite reusable resin filter? I tried a cheap metal coffee strainer but that took hours to drain.

From what I gather using a scraper of any kind on a FEP is a bad idea, they scratch easily. A small silicone spatula or squeegee is good for moving resin around.

Getting prints stuck to a FEP off, you can gently rub and push with your gloved finger from the other side. When an edge lifts off, try to get a fingernail or carefully grab the edge with your scraper or whatever. Some printers have a tank clean function. After failed prints but before you remove the resin, put in a support from a previous print near the edge, use tank clean. It'll cure a thin layer over most of the vat including around the failed print. Then use the support to peel the whole thing off. Try to avoid getting resin on the underside of the FEP, or clean it if you do.

I've just been using these things for draining. If the resin is cold, it will take forever to drain. If the resin is warm it's not too bad, it can't keep up with a full flow but it's decent.

Booyah- posted:

anyone know of some good knight helmets that I could print to swap for the age of sigmar stormcast heads?

What kind of helmets are you looking for? There was a grimdark stormcast on GWs community site that used a sallet, sadly there are gently caress all sallets around as far as I can see. Highland Minis & Monstrous Encounters both have a lot of modular knights units with Bretonnia style knight/crusader helms.

e: highland minis grail knights

monstrous encounters foot knights

2nd e:
some enterprising jerk saw me coming and made a sallet in the exact style that was on the GW site. It's a few bucks though https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/medieval-armor-sallet-suitable-for-gw-stormcast-pompom2

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 24, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

I'm really digging digital kitbashing.

I created these guys out of a couple of Anvil Industries sets, and some equipment I found on thingiverse.

I've also put together some special characters, heavy weapon teams and a command squad from various files I've found all over the place.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wow, those look wild.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Bucnasti posted:

I created these guys out of a couple of Anvil Industries sets, and some equipment I found on thingiverse.

I've also put together some special characters, heavy weapon teams and a command squad from various files I've found all over the place.

That's awesome. Death Korps of Arkansas.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

Really great work there! :hfive:

And I also dig digital kitbashing, too. I got some not-GSC off of MMF, and while there were a ton of options, it was missing a few things like autorifles and flamers. A quick perusal of Cults3D found me some suitable proxies for those weapons; and after some tinkering around in 3D Builder, I've got a few Neophytes kitted out. I'll be using them in OnePageRules' Grimdark Future Firefight skirmish game, as the "Soul-Snatcher Cultists" faction for that game. All legally distinct. :v:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Really great work there! :hfive:

And I also dig digital kitbashing, too. I got some not-GSC off of MMF, and while there were a ton of options, it was missing a few things like autorifles and flamers. A quick perusal of Cults3D found me some suitable proxies for those weapons; and after some tinkering around in 3D Builder, I've got a few Neophytes kitted out. I'll be using them in OnePageRules' Grimdark Future Firefight skirmish game, as the "Soul-Snatcher Cultists" faction for that game. All legally distinct. :v:

I have to experiment with digital kit bashing to make some ratachan jungle biters.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Hey is anyone a Last Sword patron? I see they're releasing their old Lizardmen as STL's and I want those Caimans, but I don't see a post detailing what's in the August release.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

I have to experiment with digital kit bashing to make some ratachan jungle biters.

One thing I've been considering recently is finding some "truescale" legs to print out that would fit the older Space Marine kits. I have like a zillion bits from kits of the past, and I think I could do some pretty decent SM teams for GFF that aren't Primaris marines.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

MCPeePants posted:

Hey is anyone a Last Sword patron? I see they're releasing their old Lizardmen as STL's and I want those Caimans, but I don't see a post detailing what's in the August release.

Just FYI if haven’t taken a look at Lost Kingdoms lizardmen yet you should check them out.

I think I have like, four complete lizardmen armies from four different creators by this point, but lost kingdom are my favorite.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Lost Kingdoms the god drat poo poo.

My fingers are really crossed for a bunch of the GW oriented patreons. Its going to be a tough year for a bunch of people until GW investiably lose another lawsuit and a bunch more of their IP.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Class Warcraft posted:

Just FYI if haven’t taken a look at Lost Kingdoms lizardmen yet you should check them out.

I think I have like, four complete lizardmen armies from four different creators by this point, but lost kingdom are my favorite.

Their mercia knights look great but yikes that late pledge price. Also I have enough bretonnians :(

Sydney Bottocks posted:

One thing I've been considering recently is finding some "truescale" legs to print out that would fit the older Space Marine kits. I have like a zillion bits from kits of the past, and I think I could do some pretty decent SM teams for GFF that aren't Primaris marines.

What's GFF? You can find marines on thingiverse/cults etc and cut their models with mesh mixer/blender. I figure though if I do that I'll probably want to scale their arms and add details to save kitbashing.....

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Eediot Jedi posted:

What's GFF?

OnePageRules' Grimdark Future: Firefight skirmish game.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Eediot Jedi posted:

Their mercia knights look great but yikes that late pledge price. Also I have enough bretonnians :(

They're bretonnian stuff is cool and all, but this is where it's at:

a dinosaur using the severed leg of a bigger dinosaur as a club is my fuckin' jam

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Class Warcraft posted:

They're bretonnian stuff is cool and all, but this is where it's at:

a dinosaur using the severed leg of a bigger dinosaur as a club is my fuckin' jam

Senior angry mutant turtles. Those are cool. At least their tied up slave models are all men. :shepface:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

2nd e:
some enterprising jerk saw me coming and made a sallet in the exact style that was on the GW site. It's a few bucks though https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/medieval-armor-sallet-suitable-for-gw-stormcast-pompom2

thanks!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

no worries.

BlackIronHeart posted:

OnePageRules' Grimdark Future: Firefight skirmish game.

Thanks by the way.

Questions:

I'm starting to print at 0.03mm layer heights. My previous exposure was 1.7~1.8s at 0.05mm heights. I tried one print at 0.03 with 1.2 exposure, then a second with 1.4 exposure. Are there any other settings I should change? Lift speed, etc, etc?

Things went not the greatest. https://imgur.com/a/HtC57Wx

First print was at 0.03mm with 1.2 exposure. This was presupported. Has a lot of supports failing to form, whatever they should attach to failing to appear, and in picture #2 you can see where the raft has a layer that's separated from the others.

Second print was at 0.03mm with 1.4 exposure. I did my own supports, with settings I've used successfully at 0.05 layers with 1.7 exposure. I don't think I saw any failures to form, but in pictures #3-5 the raft has split again, one of the corners is missing. It's supported about the same as the other pads.

Any ideas? I'm still using a cheaper resin, Nova 3d. I have some nicer stuff to try if that would help, I just haven't run any calibration for it yet.

edit:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

hey check this out - https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/fashion/sample-truescale-legs.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 25, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Do 3D printers smell like cigarette smoke a bit?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'll say that they shouldn't.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I wouldn't describe the smell that way, no.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
What

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Do 3D printers smell like cigarette smoke a bit?

Is this a brand-new printer, fresh out of the box? Are you talking about a smell when it's running or just in general? That's really too vague to even begin speculating on how far along the brain tumor making you smell cigarette smoke is (No a 3D printer should not smell like cigarette smoke, if it's a brand new printer you MAY get an odd smell when it's turned on at the start from any leftover chemicals on it from when the pieces were made or if you forgot to remove protective film somewhere).

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

So there was a big printedwarhammer reddit, with a big discord, with a big "secret" stash of GW objects on mega.nz. A few days ago a youtube released a video with step by step instruction on how to find, join and get started printing faux-hams. A day or two later the mega gets a C&D.

Today the discord & reddit have shut up shop. I wish the discord was still around so I could watch the "GW HOW DARE YOU"

It kinda sucks though as they were good for "hey know anyone that do vaguely X faction proxies?"

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

So there was a big printedwarhammer reddit, with a big discord, with a big "secret" stash of GW objects on mega.nz. A few days ago a youtube released a video with step by step instruction on how to find, join and get started printing faux-hams. A day or two later the mega gets a C&D.

Today the discord & reddit have shut up shop. I wish the discord was still around so I could watch the "GW HOW DARE YOU"

It kinda sucks though as they were good for "hey know anyone that do vaguely X faction proxies?"

Oh poo poo so they are gone. I had the discord but it's totally vanished now.

Honestly, just give me a community oriented 40k at this point. Ninth age did this for Warhammer Fantasy and frankly it rips.

E: I wonder more and more when printers become mainstream enough that people are getting the majority of their stuff through one instead of dealing with big GW...

Not everyone wants to maintain a printer, but all it takes is for a gaming group to have a dude or 2 cranking them out

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 27, 2021

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I thought I got banned off the discord for posting a video link it disappeared so fast.

Having tonnes of failures with prints getting ripped off their supports. Not sure what's changed, I'm sure these support + exposure settings have been fine previously. Gonna back down the lift speeds. If that fails up exposure slightly? IDK

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm just sad that I can't go somewhere and easily find whatever Epic scale minis I feel like printing anymore. Figuring out the magic words to search for on Cults and wherever is a hassle.

Eediot Jedi posted:

I thought I got banned off the discord for posting a video link it disappeared so fast.

Having tonnes of failures with prints getting ripped off their supports. Not sure what's changed, I'm sure these support + exposure settings have been fine previously. Gonna back down the lift speeds. If that fails up exposure slightly? IDK
Are you at the end of a bottle of resin, and have you been shaking it a ton? When I used Elegoo Water Washable, I'd have to stir it a couple of times in the vat, or it would visibly seperate and prints would fail. You might be hitting a point where you aren't getting enough of the good stuff in the vat.
Maybe try cracking a new bottle, and see if that makes a difference?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I am near the end of the bottle actually. I haven't seen it separate, I hadn't been shaking it hugely either, since I started controlling temperature it was so viscous a bit of a roll was all it got. lol gdi, thanks.

I had a lot more success today but still more failures than I'd like, I put it down to lowering lift speed (which probably did help given supports were breaking at connection too), but I did shake more than the past few days, theory checks out.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Would lowering speed help smaller models? I'm shrinking some pre supported 15mm to 10mm scale and I keep having connecting support break failures too.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Lowering lift speed should reduce the amount of force on the supports, it could help, but not as much as doing new supports will I think. I'd expect the supports to be very small and light at 15 mm, when scaled down to 10mm they might be too tiny to hold, possibly too small to form properly.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Springfield Fatts posted:

Would lowering speed help smaller models? I'm shrinking some pre supported 15mm to 10mm scale and I keep having connecting support break failures too.

Higher speeds are way better for this, fyi. Using vroom settings (240mm/min) will often reduce these types of failures completely.

That being said, you really should resupport when scaling down that much.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
This showed up in my Facebook feed.

That's a nice missile effect...

Lets look at the other images...

:drat:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

InternetJunky posted:

Higher speeds are way better for this, fyi. Using vroom settings (240mm/min) will often reduce these types of failures completely.

That being said, you really should resupport when scaling down that much.

Is there somewhere to read about the mechanics of vroom or demonstrating how that works out? Interested in how it works out that way.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

FYI the link I posted earlier to these true scale legs, they're a match to primaris legs, a significant bump up from my 2012~ish tac marine squatters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Eediot Jedi posted:

Is there somewhere to read about the mechanics of vroom or demonstrating how that works out? Interested in how it works out that way.
The explanation that made sense to me was to compare it to pulling a bandaid off your body. Super slow can work, super fast can work, but in the middle somewhere is painful. With quick lift speeds you're basically yanking the print off the FEP quickly and probably not putting as much force on the supports as you would be at an intermediate speed.

Whatever the actual cause, I can attest to it working. All my issues with supports went away at vroom settings, and even better, I was able to go to significantly smaller supports and now I have no model cleanup after removing supports. Maybe not such a big deal unless you're printing tons, but it was a huge time saver for me.