Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

Why do people think the new SR won't have a character creator

I wasn't implying it wouldn't have a character creator. You'll notice I also mentioned that you were purple in the original games, and that's still there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Never played the first Saints Row, from everything I've seen I didnt miss much. But I loved saints row 2 an unhealthy amount. Then I really enjoyed The Third (though I was disappointed in the customization compared to 2. No layering clothes because the new engine couldnt handle it apparently), and thought 4 was a nice swan song for the series/characters. Gat out of hell was a decent brief distraction. Agents of Mayhem also exists.

So yeah, I am absolutely hyped for a new one. Its a reboot, so I'm fine with them starting over as a crime/gang game in the tradition of 2. I'm sure it'll escalate over time, like the first series did. I saw a quote from one of the devs somewhere that basically said "The saints had got superpowers, been to the matrix, had a spaceship, a time machine and had beaten satan. We hadnt left ourselves any real room to escalate much more!" which I think is totally fair. My main concern currently is the lack of purple and fleur-de-lis on the main characters of the trailer.

Its also worth remembering that this is a cinematic trailer for what thats worth (We all remember Dead Island, right?) so it may have little to no relation to what we see of the actual game. I'm personally hoping for more SR2 than SRIV, especially as that kind of crime game isnt nearly as oversaturated in the market as it used to be when GTA clones were ten a penny.

Edit:

Dog King posted:

I wasn't implying it wouldn't have a character creator. You'll notice I also mentioned that you were purple in the original games, and that's still there

You werent purple in the trailers for any of the games, were you?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
cinematic trailers for games should be banned , they are always 100% snake oil

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RareAcumen posted:

Sadly, they did not cancel Saints Row going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTH1yQ4sNtE

awful

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:yeah:

I don't even watch most of them. If it's not primarily gameplay I just can't care. I want to see what I'm actually going to experience hands on idk.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SiKboy posted:

Never played the first Saints Row, from everything I've seen I didnt miss much. But I loved saints row 2 an unhealthy amount. Then I really enjoyed The Third (though I was disappointed in the customization compared to 2. No layering clothes because the new engine couldnt handle it apparently), and thought 4 was a nice swan song for the series/characters. Gat out of hell was a decent brief distraction. Agents of Mayhem also exists.

So yeah, I am absolutely hyped for a new one. Its a reboot, so I'm fine with them starting over as a crime/gang game in the tradition of 2. I'm sure it'll escalate over time, like the first series did. I saw a quote from one of the devs somewhere that basically said "The saints had got superpowers, been to the matrix, had a spaceship, a time machine and had beaten satan. We hadnt left ourselves any real room to escalate much more!" which I think is totally fair. My main concern currently is the lack of purple and fleur-de-lis on the main characters of the trailer.

Its also worth remembering that this is a cinematic trailer for what thats worth (We all remember Dead Island, right?) so it may have little to no relation to what we see of the actual game. I'm personally hoping for more SR2 than SRIV, especially as that kind of crime game isnt nearly as oversaturated in the market as it used to be when GTA clones were ten a penny.
Also didn't the main creative lead for the series leave after 4? I feel it's just good to start from scratch since there is nowhere to go escalate after Gat out of Hell.

I just hope the radio is good too

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

SiKboy posted:

You werent purple in the trailers for any of the games, were you?

The Saints have been purple in every game's trailer because that's their color. Are we misunderstanding each other here?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

this is the only good CG trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8RCNgZWAeQ

i've watched this probably 30+ times over the last decade but i've never played the game lmao

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

im watching it again now :getin:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe this is me getting old and times changing, but it just felt like that cinematic had a totally different vibe from the original Saints Rows. Nothing about it to me said this is the series you know and (sorta) love.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Any time I check out a game on the Steam store and the first video is a cinematic trailer, I immediately click the ignore button and move on. So far to my knowledge I have missed out on zero good games because of this policy.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

This is an extremely good post

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Saints Row 3 was a lot of fun despite me liking almost nothing about it on paper. The humor and style are loving terrible. That was the first one I tried. The fun driving, shooting and insane of amount of customization roped me in and I played the hell out of it. I thought 4 sucked. I much preferred driving around town and shooting poo poo to superpowers that made the whole world design redundant. Bought Gat out of Hell on accident thinking it was SR4 and found it borderline unplayable.

I also bought SR2 right after finishing 3 and while I trust people that say it's good, the gameplay was way too dated even at the time to be enjoyable imo. Just felt too crappy to play.

Enjoyed my time with 3 but I don't think I'm going to ever dip back into the series unless the 3 remaster is on sale for like $3.

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Maybe this is me getting old and times changing, but it just felt like that cinematic had a totally different vibe from the original Saints Rows. Nothing about it to me said this is the series you know and (sorta) love.

It's not you. OG Saints Rows (after the first one) were a maximalist riff on 2000s gangsta pop culture through a cartoony Warriors kind of filter. This new one looks like the thing it's riffing on is Saints Row, and the lens it's doing it through is Watch Dogs. Just so ill-conceived.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Was going to say the trailer/commercial for Lost Odyssey on the 360 defies this, but then I watched it again and it has some gameplay stuff so I guess it doesn't count.

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I'm sure they'll do a good job, but I'm going to wait and see before I jump on the reboot. As crass and clunky as they were, I always liked the main Saints Row games because they were reckless and focussed on letting you have some fun. You're allowed to not like them, it's okay to be wrong, don't worry too much about it.

SR2 was where they really hit the tone of the series, where basically everything is larger than life, but the basic elements were there in the first Saints Row. Their writing and style evolved from that game, but even from the start they still had a good balance of tragedy, some drama and dark moments, some utter ridiculous nonsense... I don't think people give the first game enough credit just because the second one is so much more. The three main enemy forces in the first game are: An organised crime ring, an illegal street racing crew, and a drug cartel, oh and a corrupt police chief. Kinda normal stuff, and it's all sold kinda straight with your main character getting almost no lines. SR2's villains are all ridiculous from the word go. I'm wondering how far they dial it back, it has to at least be a Saints Row 1.5 level of crazy, people now would expect a little more than the first game gave you.

Yeah it was a bit rough, especially looking back on it from now, but it set up SR2 like Assassin's Creed set up AC2, a first draft that did the things you wanted it to do but without the experience that makes the second game that much better. The way the second one reused the first game's map seems a bit cheap maybe, but it really sold that this was the same city, and the things that in-fiction happened to your end of town between the two games. I wonder how often games do this, like Borderlands 2 had the starting town of the first game turn up later on, but that's more of a callback than anything.

Also, hearing that IdolNinja died kinda sucks. Dude put a ton of time into modding those games and I remember an LP of the second game which was just unbridled chaos and stupidity that showed all that stuff off.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:emptyquote:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

TheDarkFlame posted:

I'm sure they'll do a good job, but I'm going to wait and see before I jump on the reboot. As crass and clunky as they were, I always liked the main Saints Row games because they were reckless and focussed on letting you have some fun. You're allowed to not like them, it's okay to be wrong, don't worry too much about it.

SR2 was where they really hit the tone of the series, where basically everything is larger than life, but the basic elements were there in the first Saints Row. Their writing and style evolved from that game, but even from the start they still had a good balance of tragedy, some drama and dark moments, some utter ridiculous nonsense... I don't think people give the first game enough credit just because the second one is so much more. The three main enemy forces in the first game are: An organised crime ring, an illegal street racing crew, and a drug cartel, oh and a corrupt police chief. Kinda normal stuff, and it's all sold kinda straight with your main character getting almost no lines. SR2's villains are all ridiculous from the word go. I'm wondering how far they dial it back, it has to at least be a Saints Row 1.5 level of crazy, people now would expect a little more than the first game gave you.

Yeah it was a bit rough, especially looking back on it from now, but it set up SR2 like Assassin's Creed set up AC2, a first draft that did the things you wanted it to do but without the experience that makes the second game that much better. The way the second one reused the first game's map seems a bit cheap maybe, but it really sold that this was the same city, and the things that in-fiction happened to your end of town between the two games. I wonder how often games do this, like Borderlands 2 had the starting town of the first game turn up later on, but that's more of a callback than anything.

Also, hearing that IdolNinja died kinda sucks. Dude put a ton of time into modding those games and I remember an LP of the second game which was just unbridled chaos and stupidity that showed all that stuff off.

The original Saints Row had a drastically different tone from the rest but was still great. I loved the instruction manual that was written from the perspective of a undercover cop in the Saints that you find out who it is in game.

You're right in that Saints Row 2 really opened things up with just a ton of stuff to do although I don't think it's fair to say that it reuses the map because from what I remember there are huge areas in Saints Row 2 that are completely different or expanded even if it is the same city.

Saints Row 3 was where it kind of lost me. The tone I guess was more of the same but it crossed a line for me I guess because I have no urge to finish it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation

xbix stays winnin baby

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Saints Row 3 is the most hilarious game i never want to replay

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Saints Row 2 was a really bizzare but good game. None of the later games nor any other game AFAIK allowed you to layer your clothing in the same ever again.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This is just an announcement trailer, the entire point is to have Saint's Row plastered on the end, not be a showcase of a vertical slice of gameplay.

Basically what I'm saying is don't base an entire game's....everything based on a single trailer....again. Like someone thinking there's no character customization simply because the boss wasn't a shifting amalgamation of faces and body types.

Though I will say I feel like we've been seeing a number of trailers that are 'quirky slightly psychotic group of characters doing mayhems' lately. Maybe I'm just thinking of one or two others.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tapping into that Suicide Squad audience

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If I remember right we had a Saints-Row-and-Skyrim subforum for a couple years. I mean it was like 95% Skyrim, but still.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
General question for the thread RE this post

https://twitter.com/emikagames/status/1430941640001265673?s=21

Essentially this person developed a small indie game. They sold it for like $1-$2, it’s got a 90-100 minute run time… and basically almost everyone who plays it beats it and then refunds the game because it has less than 2 hours playtime… so the dev receives no money for their game… and now they are basically quitting game dev because at that point what do you do?

Q: How do you feel about this?

My gut response: THIS FUCKIN SUCKS but it also seem like maybe Steam could find a better solution than this?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't know how feasible it is for small indie devs like this but Gamepass seems like the best place for games you can finish before the Steam refund time limit, at least you'd get paid then. Or any platform that isn't Steam tbh.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation

Bust Rodd posted:

They sold it for like $1-$2 [...] everyone who plays it beats it and then refunds the game because it has less than 2 hours playtime…

gamers are truly the cheapest hobbyists on the planet

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'd like to see the actual return rate.

And I think playtime can be a valid reason for a return.

Also the base price shows up as $9 for me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rinkles posted:

And I think playtime can be a valid reason for a return.

If you beat a game, especially one you paid less than $10 for, nah, miss me with that

(Not that there's a point where it starts being okay to refund a reasonably-priced game you beat)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Huh? That’s weird I swore it only said a dollar when I checked before posting, but TBF I just woke up and I’m pretty stoned.

Still, I dunno, playing and beating a short game doesn’t really justify fuckin the dev over… under $10 feels inoffensive to me for a solo dev

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arist posted:

If you beat a game, especially one you paid less than $10 for, nah, miss me with that

(Not that there's a point where it starts being okay to refund a reasonably-priced game you beat)

maybe, i've never abused the policy myself, but i can see being unhappy about a game ending up much shorter than you expected. $10 isn't that little for me to throw away.

it would also mean (subjectively, objectively, whatever) bad games that are short get a free pass.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
maybe if $10 means that much to people they should do an ounce of research to see how long or good the game is before pressing the Add to Cart button

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

gently caress, paying a few bucks then refunding the game when you finish it? That's greedy as poo poo, there's no justification for that. This isn't loving over a giant corporation or something or even a AAA publisher.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 27, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
lmao I just remembered when we had that insane conversation ITT about some goon admitting to asking for a refund if they didn’t like the movie they just watched in a theatre and yeah refunding a feature complete game that you beat because you didn’t like it seems equally insane/rude to me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
i dunno, asking for refunds for poo poo films doesn't seem rude to me at all tbh, if it was in a multiplex who gives a gently caress. maybe in an arthouse.
you cant refund time, you could at least refund money

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

i dunno, asking for refunds for poo poo films doesn't seem rude to me at all tbh, if it was in a multiplex who gives a gently caress. maybe in an arthouse.

Its not the theatre's fault if a movie is poo poo, they're not there to review them and then give bespoke recommendations to people. Like, if there's some way they can turn to the production company and say 'your movie is bad and people hate it, we demand our lost ticket sales back', sure, but I get the feeling that isn't a thing.

I mean, like, I don't give a shot about multiplexes and whatnot, but unless their theatre or services have specifically negatively affected your enjoyment of a film, then asking them for a refund because you didn't like what you chose to watch is petty.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe do an ounce of research first?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation

Rinkles posted:

Maybe do an ounce of research first?

drat

got me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kazzah posted:

If I remember right we had a Saints-Row-and-Skyrim subforum for a couple years. I mean it was like 95% Skyrim, but still.

Third Street Skyrims Elder Saints the Fifth. Such a great name, more temp forums of extremely clashing tones/genres should be combined. That was such a good time.

November 2011 was pretty insane - Skyrim came out but I also think Uncharted 3, Sonic Generations and Saints Row 3 came out the same day, or close to it?

I'll never forget, I went to my local gamestop for the midnight release for saints, there were tons of ppl there and an employee was super upset cause he had preordered Jurassic Park, which also launched that day, but he was literally the only one to preorder it so weren't sent any copies lmbo