Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Dynazenon, when does the BD come out in Japan again? And if it’s already out, has any footage of the live action short GridKnight Fight surfaced yet?

1 & 2 are out on Amazon Japan and 3 comes out mid-september according to the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

neat interview but hearing that apparently a bunch of people at trigger wanted rikka and yuuta to get together makes me wonder how many of them actually understood what they were making, lol.

A show where Yuta liked Rikka so much that it actually broke the rules of the universe, and where Rikka clearly had some feelings for him, even if they were less intense than her feelings for Akane?

I mean, you look at Rikka's scenes with Yuta, something stands out. Rikka is rude to Yuta. Now, on its own, this doesn't mean much. But Rikka is nice to almost everyone, with her kindness towards smelly weirdo Anti being a special standout. Rikka and Yuta have a distance in their relationship that she doesn't have with anyone else, despite the fact that she does seem to like Yuta as a person. Combine that with the mysterious talk right before the series started and how Akane envied what Yuta gave Rikka (as shown by her attempts to steal the relationship) and there's definitely room for a romance between them, especially with how Akane and Rikka's potential relationship is doomed by the whole Akane-has-to-live-in-the-real-world ending.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

1 & 2 are out on Amazon Japan and 3 comes out mid-september according to the site.

And when does the US version come out for that matter (we’re about halfway through the dub currently as Anti and Second just showed up)?

Speaking of, those were still the same actors that voiced them in the Gridman dub right?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 27, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

A show where Yuta liked Rikka so much that it actually broke the rules of the universe, and where Rikka clearly had some feelings for him, even if they were less intense than her feelings for Akane?

I mean, you look at Rikka's scenes with Yuta, something stands out. Rikka is rude to Yuta. Now, on its own, this doesn't mean much. But Rikka is nice to almost everyone, with her kindness towards smelly weirdo Anti being a special standout. Rikka and Yuta have a distance in their relationship that she doesn't have with anyone else, despite the fact that she does seem to like Yuta as a person. Combine that with the mysterious talk right before the series started and how Akane envied what Yuta gave Rikka (as shown by her attempts to steal the relationship) and there's definitely room for a romance between them, especially with how Akane and Rikka's potential relationship is doomed by the whole Akane-has-to-live-in-the-real-world ending.

this post is much funnier if i think of it as a reply to the dinobot thing

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

counterpoint: lame

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yuta/Rikka really have no chemistry together beyond being friends but years of anime/comic/movies pairing male and female action series leads together makes even that seem like enough for them to be a couple which is...yes lame

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The closest thing they do have to chemistry is the way some shows like to assert that the utter absence of chemistry is itself actually evidence that there's a ton of chemistry that they're just too shy to show you.

Again, lame.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
There was a special online event for Dynazenon that happened a couple hours ago. Showed off a suit made for Gagula, the final monster of Dynazenon.

At the event, it was confirmed the next Gridman Universe project will be announced at the TsubuCon replacement event this Winter.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat, those costumes look amazing. Looking forward to hearing what's next in the winter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Dynazenon dub’s pretty good too in my opinion though it’s been kind of slow to come out for some reason.

But yeah, I’m definitely looking forward to the next installment (the current rumor seems to be that it’s a movie rather than a series and Gridman Sigma will be involved in some way but we’ll see)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dang that suit is great

Edit:

https://twitter.com/SSSS_PROJECT/status/1449701261045993477?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 17, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Voice drama 12 that came with BD 4 got TLed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TsubuCon will be held on December 13:

https://en.tsuburaya-prod.co.jp/news/3104

As mentioned a few months ago, reportedly we’ll be getting our first look at the new anime project there.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm glad they are doing an online special at least. Tsubucon is really something and I hope that in 2024 they will have another real one.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yuta/Rikka really have no chemistry together beyond being friends but years of anime/comic/movies pairing male and female action series leads together makes even that seem like enough for them to be a couple which is...yes lame

I'd totally buy that Yuta is into Rikka, just not vica versa.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The next installment has been officially announced and it’s a movie:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/12/13-1/next-gridman-project-revealed-as-gridman-x-dynazenon-anime-film

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1471676561594195977?s=20

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Waiting for it to be modded into a working Mechwarrior controller.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dynazenon will be out on Blu-Ray May 17th:

https://www.rightstufanime.com/SSSS.DYNAZENON-Blu-ray

Speaking of, if anyone was interested someone’s uploaded the live action GridKnight Fight shorts from the Japanese Dynazenon Blu-Ray to YouTube. You can find them here:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCqVNMTEaG7QZAJ4LTwoP6Sw/videos

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 15, 2022

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I imagine they have dialogue so I hope someone subtitles them soon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I imagine they have dialogue so I hope someone subtitles them soon.

A decent amount it seems (it’s four episodes roughly about 3-4 minutes each). Haven’t managed to find a subbed version yet though

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Hogama posted:

saw a few design points over the past week from interview/BD material

Yomogi's concept was kind of "male Rikka" and Yume's design was meant to invoke a velociraptor (dinosaurs because of Dynazenon, you see), the eyes and the long nails in particular. Yuta didn't get together with Rikka in Gridman because "Heroes Don't Fall in Love" but they went all in on a relationship in Dynazenon because, well, there's no "Hero", per se.

Do you have a link for this interview anywhere?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Do you have a link for this interview anywhere?
Been a hot minute, at least some of that might be in this issue.

Can't point you at a translation thread exactly, I was restating things from a non-goon friend who was big into the show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I just noticed the GridKnight Fight shorts I posted were uploaded back in October, anybody know if someone translated them by now (though even in raw form the plot seemed pretty simple to follow)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So this is the plot of the GridKnight Fight shorts from what I can gather:

it starts with GridKnight training with Dynazenon under the supervision of Second. Second goes missing and Alexis shows up, Anti/Knight assumes he kidnapped her and goes after him but is attacked by his old monster form.

After getting knocked around a bit Anti eventually destroys both of them after a little pep talk from Gridman and Second returns, revealing she only left to get some new glasses

Also I’m not too familiar with the “Fight” shorts from the Ultraman series, is it normal to have a narrator and minimal dialogue/SFX?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 22, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ultra Fight was originally a 3 minute long show that was narrated like wrestling and includes super low budget versions of the suits and such spectacle as Eleking with a machine gun. It is super silly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Related, the Dynazenon Blu-Ray will be available in the west on May 17th:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SRQSBT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_NF12BMSDH6VFRE1ZBS39

Also as a result of the recent merger with Funimation the series is now available on Crunchyroll as well (both subbed and dubbed)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The next Gridman project will be a crossover movie between the two previous shows with most of their respective casts returning:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2022/08/26/gridman-dynazenon-come-together-to-form-gridman-universe-anime-film-in-2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

The next Gridman project will be a crossover movie between the two previous shows with most of their respective casts returning:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2022/08/26/gridman-dynazenon-come-together-to-form-gridman-universe-anime-film-in-2023

About what I expected, but good to have it confirmed.

Also, I read one of the spin-off manga.

chiasaur11 posted:

So, since it's been fully fan translated, I've been reading some of the Gridman spinoff manga "Princess and Samurai".

Only about a third in, so I can't offer a final verdict, but I'm not impressed so far. More than that, it seems to have missed one of the core things that makes Gridman and Dynazenon so good.

In Gridman and Dynazenon, there's a major split in the core cast between "normal" people (like Yume, Yomagi, and Sho) and the, for lack of a better term, Tokusatsu people. (Like Gauma and the Neon Genesis students). The normal humans are more mellow and grounded, while the people connected to the supernatural are wacky and over-the-top, creating a feeling like a better Re:Creators, where the world of an anime crashes into people's regular lives.

In Princess and Samurai, by contrast, the protagonist is just as crazy as the outsiders, if not crazier. There's no "normal" to contrast with, so there's no excitement from the strange.

Edit: Finished.

Yeah, that sucked.

Gridman (and, to a lesser extent, Dynazenon) was full of fun twists that were well set up in advance, so you expected them, but they still hit when they happened. This, meanwhile, has no setup for its twists, but it also doesn't do anything interesting with them. It has a smaller cast than Gridman, with only 3-5 major characters (depending how you count them) as compared to Gridman hitting that mark in episode one, and none of them are half as good as, say, Anti. Even Samurai and Akane (she has amnesia. I said this sucked, didn't I? It definitely doesn't manage the whole amnesiac protagonist as well as the previous works.) are flat compared to their roles in Gridman. Losing the contrast between the mundane and the supernatural means losing the core friction of the series, and the small cast has none of the spark you get from Gridman's writing. It doesn't feel like a living world with something spectacular intruding. It feels like a stage that only exists for its play. Also, Rikka shows up, but never does anything, including interacting with Akane. You'd think that her and Akane's relationship being the whole crux of Akane's last scene would mean that the writers would be sure that, if Rikka is on the scene, she'd have scenes with her one-time best friend, but no. She's just there to make people go "Hey, it's the girl in all the fanart. I will buy the manga that has her in it now."

I was kind of interested in this manga when it was first announced. Shame.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Dynazenon was in my backlog for too long, so I finally got around to watching it. What a good show! I feel like Gridman was a really clever idea that was executed really well, while Dynazenon was pretty daring and experimental. Gridman was a story with like, 3 fleshed-out characters (Akane, Rikka, and Anti) and a bunch of flat characters, and it worked really well because the fleshed-out characters were absolutely terrific. I think one of the things that was daring on Dynazenon's part was to have an even bigger cast than Gridman, and to fill it with relatively complex characters. The Kaiju Eugenicists all seem like they have the potential to be deep characters, but we never get to see them fully develop. Having that be an intentional and core part of the story is clever.

Akane got some really wonderful depth as a character in Gridman, to the point that retrospectively, the show really seems like a disguised character study. In a way it was a really surprising twist, but of course it follows a tried-and-true form of anime storytelling of psychoanalyzing your mecha anime protagonist. I definitely expected Yume or Chise to fill the same role as Akane, but Dynazenon clearly wanted to tread new territory. Rather than the emotional outpouring of Gridman, Dynazenon has an almost stoic quality to its characters' suffering. The Dyna crew all keep some boundaries from each other, with the exception of Yume and Yomogi, who manage to form a deep bond.

There's something understated and realistic about their interactions. Even in their team of 5 people, their group dynamics are never quite five friends but more like 5 people, each of whom is friends with 2 or 3 of the others. Gauma is unexpectedly the truest bro in the show and gets along with everyone by being loyal and supportive. I don't think Koyomi ever meaningfully bonds with Yume or Yomogi, and Chise still gets regularly underappreciated by the rest of the crew. The show doesn't linger on these interpersonal tensions but just kind of accepts them as the natural group dynamics.

I think the highlights of SSSS.Dynazenon for me were:
-Chise shouting that Goldburn is the best friend she ever had and telling Koyomi that he's a hopeless fuckup
-Knight and Second being a beautiful married couple
-Mujina coming out of her shell
-Gauma's last line was actually really touching, and I wasn't expecting his character to turn out to have such sensitivity to how he develops.

The theme of "scarred souls shining" is something that I think this series has been really wonderful with. I love an anime about characters growing and healing from their traumas, and I feel like Dynazenon was kind of a unique take on that type of story for how somber it was the whole way through. The decision to mostly not have background music has worked really well for both series IMO. There's just something about how quiet the everyday life scenes are, and how literally every character in this show is sad and dysfunctional but trying to get better (except for Second, who is an adorable buttercup with a loving husband). Even though the final fight scene is awesome as hell, the resolution still remains pretty somber. In Gridman, they beat up the bad guy, rescue Akane from her inner darkness, and use the Fixer Beam to heal the entire planet. In Dynazenon, the team beats up a bunch of self-destructive depressed nihilistic teens who never learned how to grow past their traumas, and the villain dies admitting that he has no idea why humans would value their lives over transcendence. The tone is much more measured and ambivalent. I think it's a really interesting departure from the first series.

Chise is great. Knight is great. Mujina's thighs were great.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
100% agreed. Overall, I enjoyed the Dyna cast much, much more (and not because the Gridman cast wasn't enjoyable, mind you). The interactions between Yume and her friend / Yomogo and his group were particularly good IMO, they felt very real. I also found it to be much funnier - the pool episode in particular was a riot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnHL_eWtwqA

one of my favorite tiny details is the shirts gauma's putting into the washer at the start of the ed being the color of the other characters' usual outfits. like his presence is helping cleanse them or something, or start fresh. maybe hes just literally doing their laundry for them but lifes more fun if you read too much into this stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

One thing I’m particularly impressed by in Dynazenon is that they decided to bring back a oneshot character from a random filler episode of the original live action Gridman and flesh him out into a complex mainstay of the series

I’m also looking forward to the upcoming crossover movie between the two anime and am curious if that’ll be the end of things or if they’ll do something else afterwards (though they could do something like canonize Boys Create Great Hero, adapt the scrapped Gridman Sigma, or maybe even give Anti/Knight and Second their own show)

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnHL_eWtwqA

one of my favorite tiny details is the shirts gauma's putting into the washer at the start of the ed being the color of the other characters' usual outfits. like his presence is helping cleanse them or something, or start fresh. maybe hes just literally doing their laundry for them but lifes more fun if you read too much into this stuff.

I noticed that too, although my takeaway was that it was more symbolic of Gauma and the others being trapped in a cycle. Dynazenon is a show that absolutely begs you to read too much into every little detail, because it intentionally peppers itself with little hidden details that are important, even if it never directly tells you that they are important. Pretty cool stuff.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QprkSBUfCis

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

every version of "all this time" they made kicks so much rear end

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That doesn't look like Gridman or Knight

Sigma?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Sigma?

I think he’s the only one left unadapted at this point so that’d make sense

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Waffleman_ posted:

Sigma?
Inarguably Sigma. He has Sigma's chest pattern and head-wings. Our new Sigma's also got a physical suit to join the others, though they made an effort to obscure it in darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
More returning characters confirmed on the official site
https://ssss-movie.net/#character