Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Got a 12 week old who doesn't like being in her buggy and doesn't like being in the car and my wife is starting to lose her poo poo.

I keep saying it'll, hopefully, pass. This poo poo isn't much easier 2nd time around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

nwin posted:

Did you get him a grilled cheese???

Come on, clearly the child wants Welsh rarebit.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

nwin posted:

Did you get him a grilled cheese???

L0cke17 posted:

How much hot cheese toast did you give him?

Didn’t have sliced bread so I melted cheese on an English muffin. He was delighted.

Toddlers rule, except when they don’t.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Our microwave is borked as of last night so currently waiting for the chickpeas i roasted and the broccoli i steamed to cool enough to feed the ogre toddler.

He is spending this time climbing up on the arm of the couch, jumping on to the cushions, giggling, getting up, and then repeating all previous steps.

I've given up at this point and am just on potential damage mitigation.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
There are forest fires by us that are turning the air into hella smoke, so is recommended to close your windows and run an air filter and don’t go outside unless you have to. Despite this it still smells like a bbq pit inside. ]

By 9:30am my toddler had already tipped over the shoe rack, dumped all her blocks out on the floor, had two meltdowns about not wanting to put on clothes, and had pooped on the piano stool. She was also non stop yelling and crying for me to help her jump on the couch, while I haven’t been able to put the baby down all morning because he immediately wakes up and starts crying… Aaaaaaaahhhh only nine more hours until I can start bath time. Plus I’ve got a headache from all this smoke.

E: Now having the “I WANT TO GO TO SLEEP IN MY BED” and instantly when I put her there to nap she’s screaming and sobbing “I DON’T WANT TO GO TO SLEEP.” Full meltdown mode.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 26, 2021

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

D34THROW posted:

Hopefully it was solid and not the 'rhea. Reminds me of the time when my youngest was oddly quiet for a few minutes and then I went to check on him and he was stripped naked, his poopy diaper in front of him, and his pack and play and him were covered in tribal war shitpaint. Immediate bath in between gagging and giggling.

Thankfully extremely solid but it was drat funny. We've been extremely fortunate no vomiting in 3 years.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Kid woke up hella early. Cool, he'll sleep it off for the morning nap.

lovely morning nap. Cool, he'll have a long afternoon nap.

Short afternoon nap ended in crying and screaming. Cool, I'll just rock him back to sleep.

Kid doesn't go back to sleep. Cool, we'll just have a hell afternoon/evening. Cool.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Toddler getting better, baby now getting sick, parents continuing to power through any and all symptoms.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I cannot describe adequately how purely sick and tired I am of cleaning a toddler's caked-on poo poo from his rear end after he has just shat his pants for the millionth time of the day, the past few weeks, most of these times while within ten feet of his own goddamn toilet that has a kiddie seat and everything. It could not be easier for him to step up there and drop his deuce in the potty. Holy gently caress

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

BadSamaritan posted:

Toddler getting better, baby now getting sick, parents continuing to power through any and all symptoms.

Our entire year so far

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Koivunen posted:

There are forest fires by us that are turning the air into hella smoke, so is recommended to close your windows and run an air filter and don’t go outside unless you have to. Despite this it still smells like a bbq pit inside. ]

Taping up all the seams around windows, doors and electrical plugs is alarmingly effective, to the point that you'll start to feel drafts coming from the the floorboards meet the wall

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

life is killing me posted:

I cannot describe adequately how purely sick and tired I am of cleaning a toddler's caked-on poo poo from his rear end after he has just shat his pants for the millionth time of the day, the past few weeks, most of these times while within ten feet of his own goddamn toilet that has a kiddie seat and everything. It could not be easier for him to step up there and drop his deuce in the potty. Holy gently caress

gently caress. Today was day one of my son running around naked. So you’re saying it doesn’t get easier?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Milestone! Child has figured out how to use the potty.

Milestone! Child enjoys using the potty by herself without supervision.

Milestone! Child wants to help clean up after she's done.

Milestone! Child just appeared out of nowhere carrying a literal bowl of warm piss precariously balanced over the living room rug.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

A question for those in the thread who are much better at understanding studies and such than I am; I am seeing a lot of conflicting information on bedsharing. I know the AAP recommends against it but I am seeing a lot of other information about the safe sleep 7 and Dr. McKenna's research on the topic. I guess I'm wondering if anyone can put in perspective whether bedsharing can be done safely or in a reasonably safe manner or should just never be done? I was always told growing up that it should not be done under any circumstances but now I'm wondering if that is an overstatement or not. Trying to get a better understanding or more balanced perspective on the topic.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
It's a personal call and we didn't but I think it's likely that a large majority of humanity does it with no problem.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

hallo spacedog posted:

A question for those in the thread who are much better at understanding studies and such than I am; I am seeing a lot of conflicting information on bedsharing. I know the AAP recommends against it but I am seeing a lot of other information about the safe sleep 7 and Dr. McKenna's research on the topic. I guess I'm wondering if anyone can put in perspective whether bedsharing can be done safely or in a reasonably safe manner or should just never be done? I was always told growing up that it should not be done under any circumstances but now I'm wondering if that is an overstatement or not. Trying to get a better understanding or more balanced perspective on the topic.

Can you ask your pediatrician? Most studies aren't written to be clearly understood or interpreted by a lay person. You could take the info you've found online to them and ask their help evaluating it in context with your kid and your doctor's knowledge.

Fwiw we were told in no uncertain terms repeatedly by every nurse and doctor we dealt with ever that cosleeping was very bad and you have a small but nonzero chance of your baby suffocating under blankets or you if you shift around while asleep and cover their mouth/face.

My understanding is that the concensus of all the experts is the baby is safest in a crib with a firm mattress and no blankets for the first year or so of life. Not that other things are by definition unsafe just that the *safest* option is this and therefore it was generally preferable.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://www.unicef.org.uk/babyfrien...sleep-and-sids/

quote:

Ball & Russell (2014), SIDS and infant sleep ecology. Evolution, Medicine and Public Health 146. doi: 10.1093/emph/eou023

Bed-sharing in the absence of hazardous circumstances

This study examined 400 cases of SIDS against 1386 comparable controls. Researchers found that the incidence of co-sleeping among the SIDS infants was significantly higher than for the controls. However when results were broken down to specific co-sleeping environments, it was found that co-sleeping on a sofa, or next to a parent who had drunk more than two units of alcohol carried a very high risk. Co-sleeping next to a smoker was significant for infants under three months, whilst the risk associated with bed-sharing in the absence of these factors was not significant overall, and was in the direction of protection for older infants (over three months).

The authors argue that public health strategy should therefore focus on making parents aware of specific hazardous co-sleeping environments to avoid: sofa-sharing, alcohol, drugs, smoking, or co-sleeping if the infant is pre-term.

there are lots of studies on this, they say a lot, it's hard to know, and again we didn't but consensus is starting to shift more towards 'if you're not drunk or smoking and you're related to the baby/give a poo poo about the baby it's probably fine'

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

gently caress. Today was day one of my son running around naked. So you’re saying it doesn’t get easier?

For us it did for awhile, but he’s regressing hard probably because my wife went back to work—and unlike when she was pregnant, we didn’t prepare him for months that this was gonna happen, or at all. So he did okay with his new baby sister but apparently not so okay with Mommy being home every day for a few weeks and then suddenly not

But he’s not responding to really anything, sticker charts with a reward, nothing. Keeps doing it. You’re probably good if you started after all the major poo poo that could rattle a kid, maybe?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

hallo spacedog posted:

We had some sort of crib-like device that sat on the bed. It wasn't terribly deep (6-8 inches maybe?) but it gave the kid their own space in the center of our bed. No risk of rolling over on them.

iirc it was made out if a tube-steel or aluminum frame, and then wrapped in fabric with some padding on the inside.

We didn't need it a lot, but it gave me the peace of mind to sleep soundly next to the kiddo without concern for his safety.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Benagain posted:

https://www.unicef.org.uk/babyfrien...sleep-and-sids/

there are lots of studies on this, they say a lot, it's hard to know, and again we didn't but consensus is starting to shift more towards 'if you're not drunk or smoking and you're related to the baby/give a poo poo about the baby it's probably fine'

This echoes what I am seeing. Basically in the book I am reading (Sweet Sleep) the research seems to boil down to saying the risks seem inflated because a: the studies do not differentiate between preexisting SIDS and bed suffocation accidents, b: the studies are including deaths caused by sleeping on an unsafe surface like a sofa etc in "bedsharing" and not an isolated study of just safer bedsharing practices and c: many deaths in the studies have the above mentioned risk factors of alcohol, tobacco, a non relative carer, etc.

I read through some of the research parts of the book I am reading and it seems relatively reasonable. There's a whole chapter devoted to explaining some of the statistics for people like me who are basically terrified by it. I am conflicted because before having a child I was 100% sure I would never bedshare for many reasons and now that I had one I have what I can describe as a weird intense instinctive urge to sleep and be next to the baby.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
We co-slept every night for over a year. Do not take this as pediatric advice, etc etc, but we were able to do it in a way that felt comfortable for us. King-sized bed, each adult with their own blanket, baby in the middle with a rigid enclosed mini mattress. We each had enough space to avoid rolling over or enclosing her little nest in our blankets. As long as she was stationary it was the same from her perspective as being on a crib mattress.

When she learned to roll herself over and move around, and as she gradually outgrew the nest, we began to ditch it and eventually sleep skin to skin. That is probably not what doctors would recommend but it felt safe given our own sleeping habits.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I did it with both kids and - it was fine? Obviously an anecdote isn't data, but I followed the guidelines around no pillows, sheets pinned low, no alcohol, etc. My kids generally slept pretty well and I slept pretty well. Not having to move or even really wake up to nurse was really fantastic.

Biggest problem has been getting them out of my bed, honestly. They'll both sleep on their own but greatly prefer to sneak in with me if they can (4 and 7)!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

cailleask posted:

I did it with both kids and - it was fine? Obviously an anecdote isn't data, but I followed the guidelines around no pillows, sheets pinned low, no alcohol, etc. My kids generally slept pretty well and I slept pretty well. Not having to move or even really wake up to nurse was really fantastic.

Biggest problem has been getting them out of my bed, honestly. They'll both sleep on their own but greatly prefer to sneak in with me if they can (4 and 7)!

Did you wait until a certain time to start or was it basically from day 1?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
We started off not trying to bedshare but it kind of happened organically, basically from exhaustion every so often when he was a couple of months old but then a solid month of it when he got bronchiolitis at 5 months and needed to be elevated to sleep/we wanted to be on the scene ASAP to address his episodes of breathing difficulties. We settled into a pattern of him mostly sleeping in his own bed but sometimes ending up in ours, especially if he was sick. I never felt especially great about it when he was younger, but from about age 1 it stopped being much of a worry. For baby #2 we've bought a co-sleeping cot to attach to our mattress so she'll be in arms reach for feeding but still have her space, which is especially important because we still co-sleep often with our son.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

hallo spacedog posted:

Did you wait until a certain time to start or was it basically from day 1?

I started at 4 months with my oldest, that big sleep regression kicked my rear end and I just wanted to give her access to the titty buffet since she just nursed all god damned night at the time anyway. My youngest, we did it from day 1 with a snuggle nest in the bed until he was big enough that I was comfortable letting him sleep beside me. Tbh, not cosleeping at the start was confusing to my family. My mom is Mexican and it's just A Thing You Do and no one ever questioned it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

1up posted:

I started at 4 months with my oldest, that big sleep regression kicked my rear end and I just wanted to give her access to the titty buffet since she just nursed all god damned night at the time anyway. My youngest, we did it from day 1 with a snuggle nest in the bed until he was big enough that I was comfortable letting him sleep beside me. Tbh, not cosleeping at the start was confusing to my family. My mom is Mexican and it's just A Thing You Do and no one ever questioned it.

Thanks, this is really helpful to think about.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We used an arms reach co-sleeper for both our kids. It was a good compromise!

The sleep preference difference between our two kids is crazy. Our 8 year old would probably sleep in our bed with us every night if we let him. Our 3 year old does NOT want to sleep in our bed at all. Even if I try to get him to lay down for early morning cuddles he acts like we're killing him. If I act like I'm going to lay down in his bed with him when I'm putting him to sleep at night he yells "No! My bed! Get out!"

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
we have three children why the hell haven’t we bought a 4 slice toaster until now?!??

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

devmd01 posted:

we have three children why the hell haven’t we bought a 4 slice toaster until now?!??

The luxury of a four-slice toaster cannot be overstated.

The luxury of the former and a toaster oven almost makes you feel bad for having nice things

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I am really frustrated by the lack of context for pediatric COVID-19 risks.

If you put your kid in daycare in a normal year, you accept the risk that they will be infected by transmissible illness. This includes the lower risk that they will be hospitalized, admitted to the ICU or potentially die from the illness. The chances of the worst outcomes are low enough that they are acceptable relative to the benefits of daycare.

What I want to know is: how much does COVID increase the odds of the worst outcomes relative to a normal year?

The three potential answers are 1) reduced risk, 2) about the same and 3) increased risk. All three are plausible.

IMO, reputable sources are really falling down on the job providing this context. There is so much hemming and hawing about edge cases and contributing risks factors that it is really hard to pull clear guidance from any of it.

Digging through some papers on JAMA, cdc docs and such it looks like the risks of COVID for young children are similar to the flu and rsv. Where that makes me land in terms of risk tolerance is that if I am willing to put my kids in daycare normally, then COVID doesn’t add a substantial extra risk.

But I’m posting on a dead gay comedy forum.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

hallo spacedog posted:

The bad outcome for co-sleeping is SIDs, which is VERY BAD. But, the increased odds for SIDs due to just co-sleeping versus on back in a crib is very small. The medical community is extremely conservative to the point of giving unhelpful advice around small risks. Tired caregivers are worse caregivers which can cause bad outcomes too (think car crashes).

Being drunk or smoking dramatically increase the risk of SIDs when co-sleeping. If you do these things, don’t co-sleep.

If your baby won’t sleep by themselves, co-sleeping is a reasonable option.

Emily Oster broke this down in Cribsheets in a way that I found pretty helpful.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Dobbs_Head posted:

The bad outcome for co-sleeping is SIDs, which is VERY BAD. But, the increased odds for SIDs due to just co-sleeping versus on back in a crib is very small. The medical community is extremely conservative to the point of giving unhelpful advice around small risks. Tired caregivers are worse caregivers which can cause bad outcomes too (think car crashes).

Being drunk or smoking dramatically increase the risk of SIDs when co-sleeping. If you do these things, don’t co-sleep.

If your baby won’t sleep by themselves, co-sleeping is a reasonable option.

Emily Oster broke this down in Cribsheets in a way that I found pretty helpful.

Thanks I guess that's what resonated with me too - the fact that a lot of the bad outcomes are due to over tired caretakers (i.e. accidentally falling asleep on the sofa or other unsafe place with the baby) and the medical community unfortunately lumps this data in with 'safe/prepared' bedsharing in general.
Emily Oster is great and I liked expecting better a lot. I should read Crib Sheets too.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Yeah, Cribsheets had a good section on it, including a chart on the relative increases in SIDS risk for various factors (ranging from cosleeping with a sober nonsmoker and a baby who's EBF being the smallest increase in risk up to a drunk smoker on drugs and exclusive formula feeding being the highest increase). The teacher of the parenting workshop that we did with our childbirth class noted the same things, while pointing out that while you don't want a pillow or blankets near the baby, if it's a newborn who isn't mobile then a single pillow under your head or a blanket over your feet aren't "near" the baby who is presumably in tit range.

I have no personal experience on this yet but we did get one of the arms reach bedside cosleepers for our room for those first few months.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

hallo spacedog posted:

Emily Oster is great and I liked expecting better a lot. I should read Crib Sheets too.

Okay, I'm gonna be That Guy and say, please don't give her any money. Oster is a hack from that annoying group of economists that think they have special insight into everything because they Know Numbers. Her thesis was so bad that she eventually had to retract it after admitting that the subject-matter experts telling her she was wrong wrong wrong were ultimately correct. Much like FAS experts are still insisting her drinking while pregnant advice is bad and dangerous. She also showed her whole rear end during the pandemic promoting absolute garbage studies that underpinned the push to get kids back in to in-person learning. She's the epitome of "garbage in, garbage out."

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Dobbs_Head posted:

I am really frustrated by the lack of context for pediatric COVID-19 risks.

If you put your kid in daycare in a normal year, you accept the risk that they will be infected by transmissible illness. This includes the lower risk that they will be hospitalized, admitted to the ICU or potentially die from the illness. The chances of the worst outcomes are low enough that they are acceptable relative to the benefits of daycare.

What I want to know is: how much does COVID increase the odds of the worst outcomes relative to a normal year?

The three potential answers are 1) reduced risk, 2) about the same and 3) increased risk. All three are plausible.

IMO, reputable sources are really falling down on the job providing this context. There is so much hemming and hawing about edge cases and contributing risks factors that it is really hard to pull clear guidance from any of it.

Digging through some papers on JAMA, cdc docs and such it looks like the risks of COVID for young children are similar to the flu and rsv. Where that makes me land in terms of risk tolerance is that if I am willing to put my kids in daycare normally, then COVID doesn’t add a substantial extra risk.

But I’m posting on a dead gay comedy forum.

The big issue is that in general, scientists are rarely going to say something definitive and if they do it is going to be very specific. Then governing bodies like the CDC, AMA, etc. try to then combine those into a cohesive picture and give recommendations. Those are often a bit flawed, incomplete, contain nuanced assumptions, etc. That then runs the risk of stating things too definitively (like early on when the thinking was that makes weren't really that beneficial, which turned out to be incorrect once more days was collected, and had somehow been used by idiots as to how science is wrong). But if it's too vague or has too many qualifiers, then it's useless as you correctly identify with the info on current risk for kids

The frustrating thing is I don't think we have enough data to really be sure. The recent variants appear to potentially (see, more hedging) infecting more kids, but there are some different selection pressures in certain regions that likely aren't being accounted for that may make it seem that way (high percentage of unvaccinated adults with no masks and higher rates may cause more kids to develop symptoms due to repeated exposure for instance).

The way I am approaching it is that in the absence of very clear evidence that it truly is increased risk, I'm going to send my kids. Also my wife and I work, so it's not like we have ready alternatives. However, I am doing my best to mitigate potential risks. Both kids have practiced wearing masks since the start of this. (The 2.5 year old still pulls it off and sometimes is a toddler about but wearing it, but the 5 year old is really good with it). Both wear one when we are out and at school. Our daycare requires masks for 4 and older. The elementary is having one masked class per grade level and those classes eat lunch in their room etc, so we signed him up for that.

It doesn't feel great and I'm really frustrated as both a parent and someone with a scientific career. It's also really hard to not get pessimistic and lose hope as well. I just keep reminding myself that being a parent is always about finding acceptable risks, like cosleeping, jumping off furniture, cutting up food, etc and going with it. In my experience, what works best is to find what you are comfortable with and then don't constantly second guess yourself (easier said than done).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dobbs_Head posted:

Honestly though, what can you reasonably expect? This is only our second year with COVID, and the numbers from last year aren't helpful due to the inherent differences between wildtype and variants (delta), and the fact that there were enough NPIs in place last year that for kids who did go to daycare they--very abnormally--simply didn't get sick with anything.

Dobbs_Head posted:

I've said it before but I'll repeat it: if your kids were in daycare for any appreciable time before 2020, they picked up flu and RSV from daycare. If they handled those fine, they'll probably handle the current COVID that's going around fine. If they suffered from bronchiolitis episodes in the past then you should be much more concerned.

Personally my main concern is PICU capacity. I don't want my kids to be hospitalized again, but if they are I worry that there's capacity for them. Right now, outside of Florida, Louisiana, Texas, that's the case. But if things continue to go to poo poo elsewhere/where we are, we may have to reevaluate.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

2DEG posted:

Okay, I'm gonna be That Guy and say, please don't give her any money. Oster is a hack from that annoying group of economists that think they have special insight into everything because they Know Numbers. Her thesis was so bad that she eventually had to retract it after admitting that the subject-matter experts telling her she was wrong wrong wrong were ultimately correct. Much like FAS experts are still insisting her drinking while pregnant advice is bad and dangerous. She also showed her whole rear end during the pandemic promoting absolute garbage studies that underpinned the push to get kids back in to in-person learning. She's the epitome of "garbage in, garbage out."
Every part of this is correct.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

2DEG posted:

She also showed her whole rear end during the pandemic promoting absolute garbage studies that underpinned the push to get kids back in to in-person learning. She's the epitome of "garbage in, garbage out."

I frankly don’t agree with this. I read her work on this, the underlying studies as well as alternative studies and follow up work. She is a very useful part of the conversation that gets unwarranted flack.

The public health and medical communities have a very narrow view on risk. There is a hyper-conservatism that wants to minimize health risks at the expense of other goals. And they use the cloak of expertise to hide from external criticism. This produces unhelpful advice.

The pandemic school closures are an example. I am unconvinced that the good they did with respect to transmission was worth the harm it caused for children to be so isolated.

I have a similar critique for breast feeding, co-sleeping, older kid car seats, screen time recommendations, and other absolutist advice we get from medical experts.

Public health people don’t like being told that they are just one voice in the room, so they attack the critic rather than the critique.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

2DEG posted:

Thanks, I didn't know that. I am also not going to defend her advice on drinking while pregnant, I found it interesting but did personally not choose to have a drink during pregnancy. I did find her info on food during pregnancy useful because it made me consider why various food was not recommended and avoid some things but not others over risk to the fetus (like taking mercury and listeriosis concerns seriously but food poisoning not as much). I do think similar to the questions about bedsharing I have just been thinking a lot about cultural differences in approaching this stuff too - I get that the AAP etc tries to give recommendations based on a wide swath of the best data available for everyone but it just seems so different in reality in so many places around the world.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

wizzardstaff posted:

Milestone! Child just appeared out of nowhere carrying a literal bowl of warm piss precariously balanced over the living room rug.

So I bought this giant teal Solo cup looking cup from Walmart for 50 cents 6 years ago. Like a 40-ounce tall cup. I use it now for washing the kids' hair in the tub, dumping and whatnot.

I'm sitting in there with $youngest on Monday night and he opens the shower door (he likes to be "alone") while he bathes, and he holds up the cup. "I wen' peepee and I din' know where to go." Sure as hell, he's holding up a cuppa piddle. Dump it in the john, rinse it off, and hand it back. That sort of MacGyver poo poo - yep, that's my son!