Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

Shinji also sees his father burn his hands and struggle trying to get Rei out of the plug in that one episode (I forget which now, it's been so long since I watched) and has the reaction that his father must care deeply for her since he seems visibly panicked and distraught at the time, which causes Shinji to seek a similar worth in the eyes of his father. In the context of the rest of the series that particular scene seems very odd, but at the time it's understandable to think how a child like Shinji would see that and seek the same care and affection from his father by replicating Rei's actions. We know that Gendo is manipulative but there's no way for Shinji to really know at that point, iirc.

He doesn't see it, but is told about it (chronologically it happens before the first episode, it's why rei is injured). To me it seems like shinji very clearly knows his dad is not good, even to rei, but he still wants any kind of affection or even attention from gendo all the same. Shinji asks rei about being scared to go back into the Eva, he knows she's doing the same lovely thing he's being forced into doing by his father, not that she's being doted on or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I don't know I'm just thinking of the scene where they are doing tests and Shinji opens his eyes and sees Rei and Gendo talking and she is smiling at him and Gendo smiles back and Shinji is just loving bewildered that anyone would show a smile or affection to his dad or he would show any emotion at all. Or why he would deserve it. A lot of emotions are mixed up there in wondering who Rei is and who his dad is and trying to get closer to both of them if he can.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Shinji is initially immensely jealous of his dad and Rei's relationship. It doesn't matter if his dad ultimately puts her (or him) in a dangerous situation as long as he acknowledges her (him). There is that whole scene where he watches them speak and smile to each other, which is both very unlike them.

And Gendo does care about Rei, but he has *priorities* and if Rei were to suffer or dies in the process then tough luck, there are copies.

Weird BIAS posted:

I don't know I'm just thinking of the scene where they are doing tests and Shinji opens his eyes and sees Rei and Gendo talking and she is smiling at him and Gendo smiles back and Shinji is just loving bewildered that anyone would show a smile or affection to his dad or he would show any emotion at all. Or why he would deserve it. A lot of emotions are mixed up there in wondering who Rei is and who his dad is and trying to get closer to both of them if he can.

I don't think he's bewildered at all. Shinji knows that his father is an rear end in a top hat towards him, but he thinks that there is something that he has done for his father to treat him like that, which is why he's trying to please him. Him and Rei having an animated conversation that they are both enjoying just proves that his dad can be a normal guy who likes someone else. Someone that has worth.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 26, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

trucutru posted:

And Gendo does care about Rei, but he has *priorities* and if Rei were to suffer or dies in the process then tough luck, there are copies.

I mean that's precisely what I was getting at earlier - Rei's useful to him on both emotional and practical (to the extent that Gendo's mad science is "practical") levels, but he doesn't like her any more than he likes any other human being not named Yui.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

Yeah :hai:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
presented without comment because i'm still processing this myself lol

https://twitter.com/brobatty/status/1427093030134329353

full album of shot comparisons: https://imgur.com/Rr3TTn0

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean that's precisely what I was getting at earlier - Rei's useful to him on both emotional and practical (to the extent that Gendo's mad science is "practical") levels, but he doesn't like her any more than he likes any other human being not named Yui.

He wouldn't have burned his hands trying to save, say, Shinji so there are obviously people that he likes more (and you can like and appreciate someone that you ultimately see as a tool). His affection to Rei is obviously higher than for some others, and seemingly real. But it is nothing in comparison to his obsession with Yui.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

rei's utility as a proficient, obedient pilot>shinji's higher synchro rate and lovely attitude, of course he'd save her (though that very specific instance was possibly also a triggered reaction considering yui vanished under identical circumstances). like i said, its got nothing to do with rei's personality or even personhood, its pure math for gendo, so of course he'd flash her some fake smiles and try to keep her calm and amenable when possible.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Isn't there the graveyard scene as well where Shinji catches her by the window of the aircraft Gendo returns to? I vaguely recall Gendo sitting down and having dinner with Rei as well, just the two of them. I could be misremembering all of this but that's my vague recollection from earlier in the series, before we see the squalid conditions that she lives in and how she treasures Gendo's glasses. I vaguely recall my initial impressions being that it implied something very disturbing until the revelation that she's left in squalor when not needed and Shinji has a rightfully confused reaction to this.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

rei's utility as a proficient, obedient pilot>shinji's higher synchro rate and lovely attitude, of course he'd save her (though that very specific instance was possibly also a triggered reaction considering yui vanished under identical circumstances). like i said, its got nothing to do with rei's personality or even personhood, its pure math for gendo, so of course he'd flash her some fake smiles and try to keep her calm and amenable when possible.

You seem to be arguing around the point I'm making that what Shinji sees is not neccesarily what is reality and his own failure to pick up on things is well established at this point. Like nobody is saying Gendo is actually a caring person, not sure why this needs to be brought up every time instead of engaging with Shinji being a dumb kid trying to make excuses for an abusive father when he's not nice to him but appears (appears! Operative word!) to be kind to someone else in a moment.

SUNKOS posted:

Isn't there the graveyard scene as well where Shinji catches her by the window of the aircraft Gendo returns to? I vaguely recall Gendo sitting down and having dinner with Rei as well, just the two of them. I could be misremembering all of this but that's my vague recollection from earlier in the series, before we see the squalid conditions that she lives in and how she treasures Gendo's glasses. I vaguely recall my initial impressions being that it implied something very disturbing until the revelation that she's left in squalor when not needed and Shinji has a rightfully confused reaction to this.

This is just a bit before the Touji/Bardiel stuff when they visit Yui's grave together, Shinji sees Rei in the aircraft. I think in Rebuild however that's when Gendo and Rei definitely have a conversation in the craft.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

Shinji visiting the grave comes quite a bit later than when he sees her apartment. The main/only? positive thing that shinji sees early is them talking during the eva test. (ed: and gets told about gendo burning his hands getting her out of the thing)

sourdough fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 26, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

See part of what has me going on about how Gendo doesn't actively give a poo poo about Rei is the distinction between poo poo like the dinner or him taking her with him to visit Yui's grave and then also having her live alone in the shittiest apartment in Tokyo-3. He uses her appearance to attain some measure of emotional closeness to Yui (in his own mind, anyway) through performative kindness and familial rituals with her, but it's all solely for his own benefit, and he knows it. The instant he's done crying on her boobs or whatever he needs to do to manage his fee fees that day he doesn't give a poo poo if she gets hit by a car or stepped on by an Angel or whatever the gently caress.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

See part of what has me going on about how Gendo doesn't actively give a poo poo about Rei is the distinction between poo poo like the dinner or him taking her with him to visit Yui's grave and then also having her live alone in the shittiest apartment in Tokyo-3. He uses her appearance to attain some measure of emotional closeness to Yui (in his own mind, anyway) through performative kindness and familial rituals with her, but it's all solely for his own benefit, and he knows it. The instant he's done crying on her boobs or whatever he needs to do to manage his fee fees that day he doesn't give a poo poo if she gets hit by a car or stepped on by an Angel or whatever the gently caress.

I think that it's even messier than that.

Gendo is capable of loving people, as much as he tries to convince himself that feeling is Yui exclusive, and when he lets his guard down, that includes affection for Rei. Gendo realizes the "risk" that feelings for Shinji will get in the way of going forward with the Scenario, so he closes himself off all the time, but he can 'excuse' the times he treats Rei well as part of the plan, so he genuinely opens up a bit... but then when he catches himself, he shuts down again. Things like the lovely apartment and sending Rei to her possible death come from (on a more conscious level) "proving he's not getting too attached", and slightly less consciously, punishing Rei for not being Yui, for trying to steal any part of his affection.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Rei used to live in the basement of Terminal Dogma right? She used to actually be a lot closer to Gendo in that sense. Not sure if Gendo decided to put her way out in those lovely apartments or if Rei chose it for herself. Maybe Ritsuko suggested it would help her synch ratio to have more of a routine outside of NERV and to also get Rei away from Gendo and more to herself? Not sure on that this is mostly speculation.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I don't mean this as a slight to anyone, but it's interesting how part of what makes Evachats so long is that different people end up with radically different takes on core character motivations like "does Gendo feel anything about Rei" or "does Shinji realize how much of a piece of poo poo his father is." Like just diverging views at such a basic level that seems to me like they'd lead to different takeaways from the same story.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I am rewatching 2.22 with a friend and I noticed that the facility Mari and Kaji are at in the opening has the L-Field towers. it must be where they were researching it

Tythas fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 26, 2021

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1431019426602786816

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cephas posted:

I don't mean this as a slight to anyone, but it's interesting how part of what makes Evachats so long is that different people end up with radically different takes on core character motivations like "does Gendo feel anything about Rei" or "does Shinji realize how much of a piece of poo poo his father is." Like just diverging views at such a basic level that seems to me like they'd lead to different takeaways from the same story.

It's mostly a result of how intently Shinji-focused much of the series is.
(And is, imho, it's greatest weakness.)

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Cephas posted:

I don't mean this as a slight to anyone, but it's interesting how part of what makes Evachats so long is that different people end up with radically different takes on core character motivations

This is one of the primary reasons for the enduring, fanatical reverence of Evangelion.

Having said that, are some objectively and laughably wrong takes on it. (Not necessarily referring to anything specific in this conversation though!)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Ricky posted:

This is one of the primary reasons for the enduring, fanatical reverence of Evangelion.

Having said that, are some objectively and laughably wrong takes on it. (Not necessarily referring to anything specific in this conversation though!)

Man, I remember watching the show as it came out back in '95 (drat, I feel old). The goddamn Christian imagery takes back then were wild. Shinji was the most maligned main character ever and then *blam* 25 and 26 drop and everybody is like WTFFFFFFFFFF!?

Good times.

With 25 years of hindsight there are some things that we know about the characters but as the series came out you didn't actually know, for example, the sort of person Gendo is. The scenes where he's nice to Rei are not there only for Shinji but also for us. I remember some people thinking that Rei was Gendo's daughter and/or lover.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
I always read the Gendo/Rei relationship as abusive. There's the scene where Shinji enters Rei's apartment, puts on Gendo's glasses (taking on the "role" of Gendo for the scene), Rei emerges naked from the shower, and he falls on top of her in a sexual suggestive position; Rei doesn't react, as if it was a normal thing that happens to her. It's difficult to read this scene and not walk away thinking that Gendo is abusing her. Then there are multiple scenes of Gendo leering over her naked body. And in EoE there's a callback to the apartment scene when Gendo grabs her breast, which would seem to validate the abuser reading.

Whether or not Shinji, or other characters, understand it as abusive is more ambiguous - Shinji is admonished by Rei and later by Yui (while inside Unit 1) for not trying to understand his father. (Although Shinji does reach out several times over the course of the show, like when he calls Gendo only to have him hang up and close the line.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"you aren't trying to understand him" is some real bullshit. it was never shinji's responsibility to be the one to reach out. gendo was the adult with all the power. however, gendo was such an unbelievable shithead that it took some, uh, pretty extreme circumstances before shinji was able to force him to communicate.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

trucutru posted:

Man, I remember watching the show as it came out back in '95 (drat, I feel old). The goddamn Christian imagery takes back then were wild. Shinji was the most maligned main character ever and then *blam* 25 and 26 drop and everybody is like WTFFFFFFFFFF!?

Good times.

:same:

Took an 2 1/2 hour round-trip to the only video store in my state that had copies of it. Which necessitated watching only two/four episodes at a time on weekends (supposing it wasn't rented at the time, in which case tough poo poo). AFAIK at the time there was nothing of any substance on the English internet about it; I think I read about it in Newtype. If there wasn't a friend alongside watching it with me I'd be writing this from inside an institution.

edit: oh yeah, when I say "rented" I'm talking about good old fashioned VHS tapes

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/shiburingaru321/status/1431173187031605251

I knew the Rebuilds were missing something

Where were the alternate universe glimpses during Shinji and Gendo's brawl, eh? Show us the other timelines that happened, dammit!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/shiburingaru321/status/1431173187031605251

I knew the Rebuilds were missing something

Where were the alternate universe glimpses during Shinji and Gendo's brawl, eh? Show us the other timelines that happened, dammit!

A shame they couldn't sneak a couple frames of Super Robot Wars in there.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

A shame they couldn't sneak a couple frames of Super Robot Wars in there.

just two frames of Berserk Eva 1 screaming at Mazinger Zero would've been perfect

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Spiritus Nox posted:

just two frames of Berserk Eva 1 screaming at Mazinger Zero would've been perfect

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, she was right.

Admittedly, it took more than a decade and a girl literally falling out of the sky on top of him for Shinji to take some initiative, but in the end, he finally managed to successfully flirt. Good for him!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Crisis posted:

I always read the Gendo/Rei relationship as abusive. There's the scene where Shinji enters Rei's apartment, puts on Gendo's glasses (taking on the "role" of Gendo for the scene), Rei emerges naked from the shower, and he falls on top of her in a sexual suggestive position; Rei doesn't react, as if it was a normal thing that happens to her. It's difficult to read this scene and not walk away thinking that Gendo is abusing her. Then there are multiple scenes of Gendo leering over her naked body. And in EoE there's a callback to the apartment scene when Gendo grabs her breast, which would seem to validate the abuser reading.

While I agree with you that Gendo was probably treating Rei as the 90's equivilant of a Realdoll in the original series and EoE, in Rebuild I think it's more of a "She knows she has to wear clothes, but she doesn't understand why" situation. I don't know if it's supposed to be a reference to how she isn't "human" (Adam and Eve only felt they had to cover themselves after eating the fruit of knowledge) or just a side effect of her only being a few years? old by the time Rebuild takes place, and raised in a completely different environment and not knowing what social taboos are.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I think the Rebuild movies imply that Rei is fully capable of growing into a regular, happy human being if she's in a healthy environment. Actually, one of the things that stood out to me is that in the Rebuilds, she seems to be really good-natured and thoughtful, but almost never gets an opportunity to for others to appreciate it (exception in 3.0 when she's living in a tent by the edge of the apocalypse all by herself, and doesn't really have a chance to gain basic humanity)

Cephas fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 28, 2021

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Rebuilds should have ended with one of the endings of the Ayanami Raising Project, like at the end Shinji suddenly hears engine roars and bosozoku Rei drives past him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can't blame Shinji for his relationship with his dad, but Gendo demonstrates how importance it is for Shinji to grow out of his fear of connecting with other people.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cephas posted:

I think the Rebuild movies imply that Rei is fully capable of growing into a regular, happy human being if she's in a healthy environment. Actually, one of the things that stood out to me is that in the Rebuilds, she seems to be really good-natured and thoughtful, but almost never gets an opportunity to for others to appreciate it (exception in 3.0 when she's living in a tent by the edge of the apocalypse all by herself, and doesn't really have a chance to gain basic humanity)

Yeah I've always assumed that Rei's...Rei-ness is like >95% just a factor of the horrid upbringing Gendo and NERV give her.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What's the name of the 3.0-1.0 song playing when Yui stops Shinji from killing himself
"even having to leave wounded friends"

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Yumi Matsutoya - Voyager from the movie Bye Bye Jupiter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBKcdF6qrw&t=142s

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
all this talk about "does gendo like rei" and it's like of course gendo likes, and loves rei he had a hand in bringing her into the world! unless you're a true sociopath you can't do something like that and not feel the need to protect and care for them, you know?

more seriously, I don't think gendo minds too much if rei dies outright - after all he's got more in the pantry! - but since she's a clone of yui, the only regular human not named gendo he spent multiple lifetimes giving a poo poo about, he doesn't want to see her hurt. it doesn't bother him that the dummy plugs are lobotomized clones of yui, and it wouldn't bother him if unit 0 was eaten right up by an angel, but to watch yuis boiled body being dragged out of a plug would cause a fair amount of distress.

also he definitely abused rei because gendo is the WORST.

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
although im sure the gendo and rei relationship was abusive in all kinds of ways i dont think there any reason to believe he was noncing her. grabbing her breast in EoE was just a particularly creepy form of fan service imo just like every other naked or plugsuited child scene

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Archer666 posted:

bosozoku Rei

angel attacks and i piss off literally everybody down in HQ by burning the first two minutes of battery power modulating unit 0's engines to play a perfectly-in-tune Camptown Races

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Just finished 3.0+1.0, as a dad and someone who lost my dad a few months ago, I think it's my favorite of the 5 Eva movies, just for that scene.

I look at the Mari ending as being a case of "sometimes what you really needed was someone new, and someone you didn't expect." .

They make a big deal about how Shinji wants Asuka, as an analogy for himself, or Rei, as an analogy for Yui. Mari is clearly neither of those, and is so different she wasn't even in the original series. She is an anthropomorphic representation of Shinji leaving his trauma behind.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 28, 2021