Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's good to hear about your exhaust, glad it doesn't sound like anything more serious.

And yeah, seriously don't sweat the light quality of those halogens. They are really good. You won't have a problem. They throw light better than the projectors on our Legacy or 4Runner that I used to have. Might not have as sharp of a cut off, but they light well.

You shouldn't be getting water in that light, obviously. Take a look at it and see what it's leaking. It shouldn't be anything you can't tackle yourself and in the scheme of things Porsche be relatively reasonable to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I brought the 993 to the shop. The owner test drove it and was very complimentary about its condition, especially when I told him the price I paid ($60K). He got it on the lift to take a closer look

Looks like it's on the original shocks in the rear

And then boom, some unexpected PO fuckery

The front shocks had been replaced with S shocks at some point, and the front of the car was sitting about half an inch taller than the rear. So stiff in front, soft in the rear, a real winning combination for a 911 :thumbsup:

All the shocks are getting replaced with Bilstein PSS10s, along with new toe link and front LCA bushings (the original ones are pretty destroyed). The car will be lowered about half an inch from stock with spacers on to improve the look. All fluids (oil, brake, power steering, gearbox) will be replaced. The wheels will be rebalanced and aligned when the new shocks are in. They'll install a little bar under the front lip to protect it from scraping, and replace some sketchy looking brake lines along with the tired frunk and hood struts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

You shouldn't be getting water in that light, obviously. Take a look at it and see what it's leaking. It shouldn't be anything you can't tackle yourself and in the scheme of things Porsche be relatively reasonable to fix.

Yeah, definitely. Pull that light out, see where the plastic weld failed, apply strategic superglue if it can be pulled open, then reinforce will epoxy (or just use epoxy if it doesn't separate at all under light pressure).

It's a nice easy satisfying job if you just want an excuse to do something for an hour or so.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
The shop that introduced the water,

“Typically the lens will accept water through the seal when cold and shrunken. With heat, the seal expands and effectively traps moisture inside. We've not been successful in resolving this without replacement unless we drill a small hole into the lens to encourage evaporation.”

Not having a great feeling from them so far lol. It wasn’t cold when they had the car also.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Take the bulbs out, point a hot hairdryer through one of the holes, and let it do its thing

If it comes back again you're probably going to end up needing to bake the lights and replace the butyl rubber sealant. Do not use silicone or anything like that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

The shop that introduced the water,

“Typically the lens will accept water through the seal when cold and shrunken. With heat, the seal expands and effectively traps moisture inside. We've not been successful in resolving this without replacement unless we drill a small hole into the lens to encourage evaporation.”

So here's the thing......I don't know about that seal specifically. So maybe it's not a plastic weld split like I was saying.

But I was absolutely "convinced" that the moisture in the tail lights of my Cayenne was because "I was driving it wrong" according to Porsche. Because their superior German design required more night time driving so the lights were on to drive off moisture....... And, FYI, there is nothing wrong with my tails, it's just a badintentional design and I should have known better than to drive only in the daytime so much.

(this problem has completely disappeared since I've kept it garaged.......surprise)

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I don't think there is a bulb in it. It's one of these guys.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99663104600.htm?pn=996-631-046-00-OEM

Maybe I just need to turn the lights on or otherwise heat it up?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The price is interesting but the rest of the ad screams yikes

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/358653985935275/

Says it is a 1999 and a 2002, no interior pix, might be a tow strap in one, etc

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

I thought it was the side marker light, not that... But yeah, that definitely doesn't have a bulb. Yours probably has a crack. New ones are cheap and super easy to replace. You literally just have to remove the whole lamp assembly (I know you've done that tons) and voila, take it off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Bulb or not, that was a completely bullshit answer from Porsche. I guess my sarcasm didn't leak through enough.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

I didn't even look at your link, but yeah that's it but its waaaay more than I thought I paid for mine. Sorry.

Check out sunset. Pelican isn't great for OEM parts, but OK on most aftermarket.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

got off on a technicality posted:

Looks like it's on the original shocks in the rear

And then boom, some unexpected PO fuckery

The front shocks had been replaced with S shocks at some point, and the front of the car was sitting about half an inch taller than the rear. So stiff in front, soft in the rear, a real winning combination for a 911 :thumbsup:

Brilliant combo! PSS10s (B16) is pretty nice for the street, think I'll finally get to test them on track in November. Where did you find the 993? Just curious.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is a great combo for that 80s stock broker climbing a lamp post in their 911 vintage.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My Fister (lol) II shipped for my 993 today! :getin:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

Brilliant combo! PSS10s (B16) is pretty nice for the street, think I'll finally get to test them on track in November. Where did you find the 993? Just curious.

BaT which is absolutely crawling with 993s these days

Residency Evil posted:

My Fister (lol) II shipped for my 993 today! :getin:

I've heard great things. Please post a video when you get it installed :getin:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BaT which is absolutely crawling with 993s these days

Speaking of BaT, this thing is niiiiiice -- https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-porsche-911-turbo-23/

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I've heard great things. Please post a video when you get it installed :getin:

For sure!

Guy I know here just won this:

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/...l%20blast%20car

I saw this a few days ago and realized I need more garage space. Maybe I'll get a chance down the road!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Residency Evil posted:

Guy I know here just won this:

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/...l%20blast%20car

I saw this a few days ago and realized I need more garage space. Maybe I'll get a chance down the road!
I know they are slow, don't handle worth a poo poo, temperamental, not exactly reliable or very comfortable, but I'd be lying if I said for a second I wouldn't like that. Then I'd grow a thick moustache and wear 80s Adidas shorts.
I know there is a pro/anti flachbau camp, but I'm definitely a pro category and that car is gorgeous.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

kensei posted:

The price is interesting but the rest of the ad screams yikes

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/358653985935275/

Says it is a 1999 and a 2002, no interior pix, might be a tow strap in one, etc

Listed as automatic transmission too, already a deal breaker for a proper Porsche.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

I know there is a pro/anti flachbau camp, but I'm definitely a pro category and that car is gorgeous.

I've never been a slantnose fan, I think it ruins the porportions and makes it look unbalanced, but an original, verified, factory-built turbo slantnose with 25k miles? Yikes.

infraboy posted:

Listed as automatic transmission too, already a deal breaker for a proper Porsche.

Not at $5k!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

For some reason, almost every Boxster I've seen listed on FB says it's an automatic, including mine when it was posted for sale before I got it. I've seen people comment on their own ads that the transmission was wrong lol

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

When you create a vehicle listing on FB maretplace the first and only thing filled in is automatic transmission, a lot of people don't bother to fix it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Not too relevant on older cars, but PDK will get listed as automatic too, which can get super weird on different models between 2008 and 2010.

I even looked at a Cayman listed as a 2010 that had a tiptronic. It was red and black even. Huge disappointment.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ranzear posted:

Not too relevant on older cars, but PDK will get listed as automatic too, which can get super weird on different models between 2008 and 2010.

I even looked at a Cayman listed as a 2010 that had a tiptronic. It was red and black even. Huge disappointment.

And alternatively SMG can get listed as manual :/ hell occasionally the ZF 6 speed auto in E9X would get listed as manual when I was looking

They really need a 3 pedal option or something to distinguish and have 3 options for transmissions

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

When you create a vehicle listing on FB maretplace the first and only thing filled in is automatic transmission, a lot of people don't bother to fix it.

Ha, I have never sold a car on FB so I did not know. TIL

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sold for $168K.
I must admit, I expected it to go a bit higher, maybe push $200K.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Sold for $168K.
I must admit, I expected it to go a bit higher, maybe push $200K.

Like the Diablo that was pulled last week, provenance can be everything with top-tier collectable cars. Like someone pointed out -- a vintage Blazer just brought $180k, this was a steal in comparison.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-chevrolet-blazer-59/

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 30, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:drat:

I'd like me a 70s full size SUV, either a Blazer or Bronco, but gently caress me.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

TheBacon posted:

And alternatively SMG can get listed as manual :/ hell occasionally the ZF 6 speed auto in E9X would get listed as manual when I was looking
Almost every dealer around here would mark a car with any flappy padel box as manual. Technically you can choose the gear manually, and the first gen Selespeed / SMG boxes were automated clutch manuals in a way...

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There was a nice 911 parked next to my car when I got up.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Fister II exhaust is coming today. Probably won't install it until a few weekends from now, but :getin:

Also bought oil for my first change for the 993, all 10 quarts of it. The closest dealer here is annoyingly expensive for parts. I had a pretty good relationship with the Porsche of the Main Line guys back in Philly, who would be pretty good about coming close to parts prices I'd find online at places like Sunset/Suncoast/Porsche Delaware/Pelican/etc. The guy here seemed annoyed I was asking him to come down.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
this is kind of a dumb question, but has anyone re-upholstered their car interior? I'm kind of curious what it would cost to upgrade my soft-touch plastic thing I have going on to actual leather. There's what, like less than ten interior panels (981 cayman S)? Dash, glovebox, center console, doors?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Honestly, it probably would be cheaper to replace all the panels with factory leather pieces from a wrecked car. Assuming you have a non leather trimmed one now.

Otherwise this will vary a lot by location I would think.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Yeah, thought about that, not sure where i would keep an eye out for that sort of thing? Suncoast is dumb expensive for new stuff

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

EBay is the usual answer or join 981 and cayman facebook groups, there's usually people parting out cars or you can list what you're looking for and they'll be able to refer you to someone.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
PO handed me a second key fob (the switchblade kind) that had a broken spring. No big deal, the lower assembly is $60 from Pelican Parts. While putting the old key blade into the new assembly it finally dawns on me that I'm not supposed to disassemble the new assembly like I did the old fob. The key just snaps into place, and there's no need to remove and later replace two very fiddly plastic bits and a spring. But it's too late and the new assembly is now in pieces! After 30m loving around like a lovely apprentice clockmaker I give up and reassemble the second fob minus the spring. I hope the key blade doesn't fall out :argh:

But wait, turns out the second fob isn't paired with the immobilizer! Cue one more hour of fuckery locating the immobilizer code and then turning the ignition key off and on and off and on to input the code. One mistake and you start over. First try I fail to set up the immobilizer in the right way (warning light doesn't flash as it should). Second try I mess up the code on the last digit. Third try it seems to work but the second fob doesn't take. Fourth and final try it finally works. PORSCHE WHY COULDN'T YOU WAIT TILL THE 996 TO PUT AN IMMOBILIZER IN :argh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

PO handed me a second key fob (the switchblade kind) that had a broken spring. No big deal, the lower assembly is $60 from Pelican Parts. While putting the old key blade into the new assembly it finally dawns on me that I'm not supposed to disassemble the new assembly like I did the old fob. The key just snaps into place, and there's no need to remove and later replace two very fiddly plastic bits and a spring. But it's too late and the new assembly is now in pieces! After 30m loving around like a lovely apprentice clockmaker I give up and reassemble the second fob minus the spring. I hope the key blade doesn't fall out :argh:

But wait, turns out the second fob isn't paired with the immobilizer! Cue one more hour of fuckery locating the immobilizer code and then turning the ignition key off and on and off and on to input the code. One mistake and you start over. First try I fail to set up the immobilizer in the right way (warning light doesn't flash as it should). Second try I mess up the code on the last digit. Third try it seems to work but the second fob doesn't take. Fourth and final try it finally works. PORSCHE WHY COULDN'T YOU WAIT TILL THE 996 TO PUT AN IMMOBILIZER IN :argh:

Yeah the immobilizer is kind of annoying. You can buy this:

https://www.ezimmoblock.com

To get rid of the annoyance of having to lock/unlock the car every time you stop for gas, if it bothers you.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah the immobilizer is kind of annoying. You can buy this:

https://www.ezimmoblock.com

To get rid of the annoyance of having to lock/unlock the car every time you stop for gas, if it bothers you.

Oh interesting. Did you do it? I'm a penny pincher and $350 is a bit more than I feel comfortable spending on an annoyance

(Yes I know that's peanuts vs. doing a full suspension refresh)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Oh interesting. Did you do it? I'm a penny pincher and $350 is a bit more than I feel comfortable spending on an annoyance

(Yes I know that's peanuts vs. doing a full suspension refresh)

I haven't yet. Locking/unlocking has kind of become second nature and it's really only an issue at the gas station. The one thing I'd do (if it's not already done) is replace the radio. I ended up putting in the Continental one that everyone uses. It's simple, has bluetooth streaming, looks period correct, and it's under 200 bucks. I told myself if I wasn't happy with it I'd get the Porsche one, but haven't found the need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Where did you buy the continental head unit from?