Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Lady Radia posted:

Any workarounds to disable the Magenta AI bug, even obnoxious ones?

Vassalize them and reap the benefits (I came here to mention that this works, though you only get the vision benefit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
if you want the bug to at least benefit you instead of the AI, you can make a multiplayer lobby and put yourself in the third slot, then just set it back to singleplayer. i hated that when i gave it a try though, so now i'm just putting tjilbruke or makeda in slot 3 since tjilbruke's a pacifist who just wants to be friends and makeda's already got bonuses with independent peoples

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Reddit says if you download a player created persona with the megalopolis trait and put them in that slot it's the workaround right now. I think that trait makes them so they never annex or anything, so their unlimited relations don't really matter?
Here is the link to browse personas

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
one funny thing from that bug: the cheevos to assimilate indipendents are super rare, like only 2% managed it 10 times

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Coeurl Marx posted:

Reddit says if you download a player created persona with the megalopolis trait and put them in that slot it's the workaround right now. I think that trait makes them so they never annex or anything, so their unlimited relations don't really matter?

I did this in my last game, seemed to work fine

e: thinking on it, they probably need the 'gently caress you I'm not sharing maps' trait, whatever that might be, otherwise if they share maps, won't the other AI be able to influence the revealed independent?

I'm skirting this issue either way by not playing continents/new world for the moment

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Goa Tse-tung posted:

one funny thing from that bug: the cheevos to assimilate indipendents are super rare, like only 2% managed it 10 times

I don't assimilate independents not because of the bug but because it's a colossal waste - they're coming in as cities and I don't need more cities so it's either spend a massive amount of influence to absorb city or burn them down and put in a fresh outpost(and it can be done without assimilating them)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The only issue with the megalalopolist work around is that they still hate you for annexing or attacking city States which they consider to be theirs.

I think the best work around is to hope you spawn near player 3 and to murder then as quickly as possible. Or don't play until it gets fixed which is what I'm doing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

I don't assimilate independents not because of the bug but because it's a colossal waste - they're coming in as cities and I don't need more cities so it's either spend a massive amount of influence to absorb city or burn them down and put in a fresh outpost(and it can be done without assimilating them)

More cities is almost always better, so if you can afford to have them as a city then you should. The main issue with annexing them past the early game is that they don't come with any infrastructure. I annexed an independent the modern era in my last campaign, and they came with nothing. So I ended up just razing and rebuilding the city anyway.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Anyone noticed that this game really, really likes to mine some coins on your GPU when there's absolutely nothing on the screen? This climate change sim is too real for me.

e: Has anyone ever successfully picked the Harappans (agrarian) in the ancient era? Or is this just one of those things the cheating AI will always get first, forever

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 27, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Coeurl Marx posted:

No, this is worse, if they share maps with another AI, you'll get unpredictable neighbors from halfway across the world, and it wrecks everything.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

poverty goat posted:

e: Has anyone ever successfully picked the Harappans (agrarian) in the ancient era? Or is this just one of those things the cheating AI will always get first, forever

You can yeah.

- Change out your AI opponents. Militaristic ones, for example, prefer other civs.
- Use auto-scout for turns or partial turns where you aren't sure where to go. It'll heat-seek resources through the fog.
- Be careful wasting turns chasing dead-end berries or getting bogged down in river systems/forests.
- Pick rewards that help you star up now(+hunters) rather than the discount research ones.
- Bonus hunters from events start with full move so split them off so they can use it.
- Split your second hunter off so you cover double the area but then try to move in 2s so they can hunt mammoths or temporarily split to efficiently pick up resources.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 27, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

speaking of rivers, it took me way too long to notice that moving into a river kills your movement, but once you're on a river you can move along it for 1mv per tile

I'm not smert

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

poverty goat posted:

Anyone noticed that this game really, really likes to mine some coins on your GPU when there's absolutely nothing on the screen? This climate change sim is too real for me.

I might be paranoid or it might be my lovely-rear end PC, but I swear the performance got worse for me in the last few days.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
how on earth does this AI have ten units, four of them swordsmen, before turn fifty? is that just the strength of the harappans? :psyduck:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Megazver posted:

I might be paranoid or it might be my lovely-rear end PC, but I swear the performance got worse for me in the last few days.

I just bought a 3080ti, and at 1440p humankind runs at nearly 100% GPU utilization at max settings, just idling on a new map with nothing to see.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 27, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's definitely something fucke dup with Civics when playing in Multiplayer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

how on earth does this AI have ten units, four of them swordsmen, before turn fifty? is that just the strength of the harappans? :psyduck:

That seems really normal, honestly.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That seems really normal, honestly.

odd in my case. I've never seen an AI come out swinging so early

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I think the art is very pretty when you zoom in all the way.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

odd in my case. I've never seen an AI come out swinging so early

depends on the ai, I've had several hyper aggro types

try hateful vindictive rushers :v:

ARRGHPLEASENONONONO
Feb 5, 2001

poverty goat posted:

I just bought a 3080ti, and at 1440p humankind runs at nearly 100% GPU utilization at max settings, just idling on a new map with nothing to see.

Even after limiting the FPS I 've been using afterburner and just limiting the GPU temp so it doesn't go wild. No performance loss...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pro starcraft loser posted:

I think the art is very pretty when you zoom in all the way.

Agreed. The terrain has a sort of magical/fantasy vibe to it, which makes sense considering this is the Endless Legend engine. It may not be perfectly suited to the historical basis of the game, but it lends a unique sense of discovery during exploration that Civ often lacks.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Playing on the beta and now that resource issues are mostly fixed, at the cost of now civics being absurd to implement, I really think they need to look into fixing the pacing. I really think they should just borrow civ6's system where the more you hyperfocus on one district type the more exponential it's cost goes. If you're all in on maker's quarters the cost shouldn't be rising linearly but in huge steps that eventually make it impossible for it to be a good choice until you diversify a bit. As well either up the requirements on the easier era stars (pop and building in particular) or just make it take more stars to go up a level. I honestly don't think research speed is the issue. It's how easily you can snowball and make research irrelevant that is the issue.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
if there's one thing i think isn't great about the neolithic era, it's how random it is. if i don't find anything in turn 1 or 2, or it's the +5 food one? might as well restart if I'm hoping to play the civilizations the AI likes to pick. i don't know what the fix is but if you're not hitting one of those stars by turn 6, you're probably not going to get any of the 'in demand' civs. you've basically got half a dozen turns to hit a star and the placements are random, combine that with the knowledge star versus the other two...

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It does suck how it's basically impossible to play Myceneans and Harrapans and the neolithic is def the era they have the biggest success just because of perfect ai knowledge atm.

Granted I think the best ancient civ is the Zhou so I get some freedom.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Isn’t the big limiting factor for Districts supposed to be the Stability cost? Maybe it should be -15 by default.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Isn’t the big limiting factor for Districts supposed to be the Stability cost? Maybe it should be -15 by default.

The only way to make stability matter would be to nerf the piss out of luxuries. Though I honestly think that'd have bigger knock on effects rather than a more effective production penalty.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

district costs just need to scale a bit more aggressively on single type spam

they already do, just not enough past a certain point due to compounding bonuses

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Eimi posted:

The only way to make stability matter would be to nerf the piss out of luxuries. Though I honestly think that'd have bigger knock on effects rather than a more effective production penalty.

In my second game I didn't have a single luxury item in any of my territory and stability was a very serious concern. Now I've got like 50 of them in my new game and everything is good all the time, it's all districts all day baby.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Eimi posted:

Playing on the beta and now that resource issues are mostly fixed, at the cost of now civics being absurd to implement, I really think they need to look into fixing the pacing. I really think they should just borrow civ6's system where the more you hyperfocus on one district type the more exponential it's cost goes. If you're all in on maker's quarters the cost shouldn't be rising linearly but in huge steps that eventually make it impossible for it to be a good choice until you diversify a bit. As well either up the requirements on the easier era stars (pop and building in particular) or just make it take more stars to go up a level. I honestly don't think research speed is the issue. It's how easily you can snowball and make research irrelevant that is the issue.

That's not how district costs work in Civ6. The cost of districts is increased by technology/civic progression, not how many of the district you have. You're confusing things with the district discount mechanic, where you get a 40% discount (except for government plaza and diplomatic quarter, which get only 25%) on a specialty district if you have built more specialty districts than you have kinds of specialty districts, and you have placed less of that district than (total specialty districts placed)/(number of different specialty districts). Except the number of districts you have is only updated when you complete a tech or civic. It's a needlessly arcane system and really shouldn't be copied. And none of this is explained anywhere in the game, of course.

Also from watching the tutorial series PotatoMcWhiskey made, he says that you usually don't want to advance in era immediately. I think he said you generally want to get at least two gold stars before advancing?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Horizon Burning posted:

if there's one thing i think isn't great about the neolithic era, it's how random it is. if i don't find anything in turn 1 or 2, or it's the +5 food one? might as well restart if I'm hoping to play the civilizations the AI likes to pick. i don't know what the fix is but if you're not hitting one of those stars by turn 6, you're probably not going to get any of the 'in demand' civs. you've basically got half a dozen turns to hit a star and the placements are random, combine that with the knowledge star versus the other two...

Eimi posted:

It does suck how it's basically impossible to play Myceneans and Harrapans and the neolithic is def the era they have the biggest success just because of perfect ai knowledge atm.

Granted I think the best ancient civ is the Zhou so I get some freedom.

Hmm. What difficulty/pace are you on? Last game I did was Nation/Endless, and I got to pick Myceneans no problem. Who, by the way, are busted as gently caress if you want to do any sort of early aggression.

The AIs didn't start picking civs until turn 17, and I think I was a half dozen turns or so ahead of them.

e:

Staltran posted:

Also from watching the tutorial series PotatoMcWhiskey made, he says that you usually don't want to advance in era immediately. I think he said you generally want to get at least two gold stars before advancing?

I figure it depends how much pressure you're under but if you're comfortable enough to stick around and farm stars you can really rack up a huge fame lead.

e2: Each additional star in a category is worth more than the ones before it, remember.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 27, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Staltran posted:

Yes, I think that's generally accurate. Except, if you can enter the Medieval era and become the Khmer, you want to immediately do so.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The resource thing is really weird because you just don't care about AI's gobbling them up like you do in Civ, since you can buy anything they have off them for functionally nothing, and the purchase lasts forever so long as trade doesn't get interrupted by war. If the neighbor is also non-militaristic (or even better, traders) it's even piss easy to get them to agree to a trade all resources treaty and gobble up all their strategics. It leads to a weird scenario where resources are simultaneously scarce and not really a concern, because as soon as you do bump into one it's almost certainly yours either by direct extraction or trading with the Civ that's claimed it.

I beat my first game last night, reached the contemporary era before I had researched the stem engine, lol. I really don't care for how the eras are so decoupled from research progress. Also while I while I get what Amplitude was going for it annoys me how there's basically zero options to reduce pollution output until very, very late in the tech tree.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm enjoying the game so far but holy poo poo the scroll speed sucks.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Rectovagitron posted:

I'm enjoying the game so far but holy poo poo the scroll speed sucks.

It is almost mandatory to use the middle mouse button and drag.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The AI being able to spam surrender is the most annoying poo poo I've ever experienced. I can't negotiate any terms and it gives them a MASSIVE surge of war support. I have cities occupied. I can't loving demand them. I hate this poo poo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I am stuck in a neverending battle, against an army that supposedly has a scout left in it, but the scout hasn't deployed in two overworld turns and a swordsman standing on top of the army takes damage per turn without doing anything. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

poverty goat posted:

I am stuck in a neverending battle, against an army that supposedly has a scout left in it, but the scout hasn't deployed in two overworld turns and a swordsman standing on top of the army takes damage per turn without doing anything. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

You're camping their reinforcement point which stops reinforcements from spawning in but the unit doing so accumulates damage as a result.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Sydin posted:

The resource thing is really weird because you just don't care about AI's gobbling them up like you do in Civ, since you can buy anything they have off them for functionally nothing, and the purchase lasts forever so long as trade doesn't get interrupted by war. If the neighbor is also non-militaristic (or even better, traders) it's even piss easy to get them to agree to a trade all resources treaty and gobble up all their strategics. It leads to a weird scenario where resources are simultaneously scarce and not really a concern, because as soon as you do bump into one it's almost certainly yours either by direct extraction or trading with the Civ that's claimed it.

I really really don't know why they went away from the resource system in the other Endless games. The scarce resources wouldn't be an issue if you could still stockpile X number of that resource per turn from your source. Units/buildings would then cost 50 copper or whatever, as opposed to a binary system where you can either make it, or you can't. It also still encourages you to fight over and trade resources, since having only one or two sources of Oil will get outproduced by a civ with four or five sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

poverty goat posted:

I had a battle go on forever because a stray navy got caught in the zone. I had to shell them from shore to end it, but I didn't notice because of the fog of war. Check any obscured tiles.