Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was there ever an angle in the heyday of managers where a face manager is forced to manage a heel, or the other way around? I'm imaging Heenan having to lead The Rockers successfully or he gets fired.

I'm pretty sure there were plenty where valets were passed around.

DDP being managed by The Diamond Doll kind of had that energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Renaissance Spam posted:

No I'm fully prepared to consider Paul Bearer a manager in the same way Miss Elizabeth was.

I really hadn't thought of the mouthpiece also being the innocent in peril, but they both did that job perfectly when their clients were faces and while Bearer was also a great heel manager Elizabeth worked great as babyface to Macho.

So yeah, I'll take the L on this one.

There are two matches in ROH where Heenan manages a team of faces against Cornette who manages heels and they both try to out cheat the other and it's really loving funny to see Heenan do all his usual stuff but for the faces.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Totally subjective, but who are some of the straight-up shittest and irredeemable wrestlers to make it onto TV? By that I mean:

• Can't really wrestle or work
  • Can't talk or cut a promo
  • No presence or charisma
  • Not particularly physically imposing
  • No unique look or gimmick

Bam Neely, Braden Walker and the Gymini (kind of roided out, I guess) come to mind. That said, I support they could all complete a match and wrestle somewhat so there are probably some better choices (especially in WCW and TNA).

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Erik Watts

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Don Valentine is the Ur-Example

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Lid posted:

Don Valentine is the Ur-Example

I was not aware of this man until now and I will never forgive you.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Totally subjective, but who are some of the straight-up shittest and irredeemable wrestlers to make it onto TV? By that I mean:

Bam Neely, Braden Walker and the Gymini (kind of roided out, I guess) come to mind. That said, I support they could all complete a match and wrestle somewhat so there are probably some better choices (especially in WCW and TNA).

Dominik Mysterio

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Certainly David Flair, I don't know if he got better or not.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Manu.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Greg Gagne

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Great selections so far. Don Valentine rocks.

I'm not 100% on Dominik but I see it. I thought he had a passable match with Seth at some PPV and I guess "being a Mysterio" is kind of a character/gimmick. He's pretty bad, though.

Does Sim Snuka count, too?

lol there were so many dire wrestlers on TV during that time

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

J - E DOUBLE F J - A DOUBLE R - E - DOUBLE T DOUBLE J JEFF JARRETT AIN'T HE GREAT

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQYdgMRwz2Y&t=3570s

https://twitter.com/FO_VVerhei/status/1140171626224316416?t=rpRwzGkcIDAL_DYC4E-f4g&s=19

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slL8f5i44iM

Don Valentine. Unforgettable, just ask his opponents.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JXZEpYlCeg

I like this one

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

George Goulas. Daddy said sell!

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Bam Neely just confused me, honestly.

Hey, let's take this random schmuck, give him a name referencing a 90's NHL power forward and just throw him on TV.

What were the other ideas?

John DesPair?
Beef Tkachuk?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bobson Dugnutt

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Mass Transit?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this is a good one. get this. the guy i don't frigging like

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Cerebral Bore posted:

Bobson Dugnutt

Ron Tugnutt was a goalie, not a forward.

Don't be silly.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

Is Matt Hardy walking/wrestling like he has zero knees, hip flexibility or discs in his back just his gimmick or is his body actually broken?

Dude has taken a lot of bumps over the years, his body is probably not doing great.
If I remember correctly, he has regretted using the diving leg drop in his early years, saying it hosed up his hip.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Custard Undies posted:

Mass Transit?

never on tv, was a last second fill in for a house show.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

STONE COLD 64 posted:

never on tv, was a last second fill in for a house show.

I did wonder about that. :)

That makes the incident even worse....

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

< posted:

Dude has taken a lot bumps over the years, his body is probably not doing great.
If I remember correctly, he has regretted using the diving leg drop in his early years, saying it hosed up his hip.

A hip sounds about right. He just looks so awkward and stiff and it's all i can look at when he wrestles. It's like he can't bend his knees or even put one foot front of the other. A lot of the time, he kind of crab shuffles rather than steeping "right-foot forward, left-foot-forward"

I thought it might be part of the "Broken-Matt " gimmick but he's not doing that anymore

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

David Flair

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Braden Walker probably doesn't belong without qualifying it, because as Chris Harris in TNA he was pretty decent, it even looked like he might be their 1st homegrown breakout guy for a while, or at least right behind AJ Styles anyway

I have no idea what happened to him in WWE. Or rather, why he suddenly looked so much physically worse and seemed to have forgotten anything he'd learned in wrestling.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 27, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

Is Matt Hardy walking/wrestling like he has zero knees, hip flexibility or discs in his back just his gimmick or is his body actually broken?
matt hardy has always walked funny back to the 90s so if it's getting more noticeable it's probably because whatever hosed up thing caused in the first place is getting worse or compounded by some other issue

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Matt talked about it in The Hardy Boyz book, but his hip sockets (and I don't know if I'm describing this correctly) are further back(?)/to the side(?) where everyone else's are, so that's why he always had an odd looking stance/run. Can't imagine 25 years of bumps were good for them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TheKingslayer posted:

Forceable Entry?

Thank you

And who was under the hood as the Machine in that match with DDP in WCW? You know, the one where he crotches himself on the ropes by jumping halfway across the ring from the turnbuckle and screaming at the top of his lungs while jumping up and down.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Which of these would be worst?

- Ric Flair in the NWO
- Hulk Hogan in the Four Horsemen
- Bret Hart in De-generation X
- Shawn Michaels in The Hart Foundation

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hogan in the Horsemen, easily.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Yeah, I think Hogan in the Horsemen would be the worst because he'd so clearly try to overshadow and gently caress over everyone else in the group. The Horsemen were essentially nWo before nWo – a bunch of ruthless dickheads who were also cool and had crowd support in a lot of places.

Bret in DX would be really weird and I can't even begin to imagine how he'd try to force DX-style promos. Babyface HBK in the Hart Foundation probably makes the most sense out of all of them, barring Montreal and all of the fallout of that. He's got Heart right in his nickname!

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thank you

And who was under the hood as the Machine in that match with DDP in WCW? You know, the one where he crotches himself on the ropes by jumping halfway across the ring from the turnbuckle and screaming at the top of his lungs while jumping up and down.

Emory Hale/Hail, who oddly enough ended being managed by Jimmy Hart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXxBKb3JL5o

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Beau James. (I don't know if it counts if you're only on TV because you're the promoter.)

I thought of this question in the dentist's chair this morning: What are the weirdest, worst, or most pointless political gimmicks in wrestling? The Truth Commission really stood out to me, because I can't imagine a lot of American wrestling fans were even aware of South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission. It was in poor taste without being relevant to the audience in the same way that the Nation of Domination was.

For gimmicks that aren't characters, the Collision in Korea was an absolutely bizarre stunt.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 27, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Beau James. (I don't know if it counts if you're only on TV because you're the promoter.)

I thought of this question in the dentist's chair this morning: What are the weirdest, worst, or most pointless political gimmicks in wrestling? The Truth Commission really stood out to me, because I can't imagine a lot of American wrestling fans were even aware of South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission. It was in poor taste without being relevant to the audience in the same way that the Nation of Domination was.

For gimmicks that aren't characters, the Collision in Korea was an absolutely bizarre stunt.

Come on now Beau has a unique look.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Zombie Lemur posted:

Emory Hale/Hail, who oddly enough ended being managed by Jimmy Hart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXxBKb3JL5o

Thank you

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Zombie Lemur posted:

Bam Neely just confused me, honestly.

Hey, let's take this random schmuck, give him a name referencing a 90's NHL power forward and just throw him on TV.

What were the other ideas?

John DesPair?
Beef Tkachuk?
Beef Tkachuk is an S-Tier name

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Braden Walker probably doesn't belong without qualifying it, because as Chris Harris in TNA he was pretty decent, it even looked like he might be their 1st homegrown breakout guy for a while, or at least right behind AJ Styles anyway

I have no idea what happened to him in WWE. Or rather, why he suddenly looked so much physically worse and seemed to have forgotten anything he'd learned in wrestling.

I think the prevailing theory is the WWE's various BS got to him. The "you ain't poo poo, you can't work, how dare you think your previous experience means anything" stuff broke him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Which of these would be worst?

- Ric Flair in the NWO
- Hulk Hogan in the Four Horsemen
- Bret Hart in De-generation X
- Shawn Michaels in The Hart Foundation

Flair, especially in his later years could have easily filled the DiBiase role.

Hogan would have stuck out like a sore thumb, and as already stated, his tendency to Kramer into the spotlight would have been at odds with the ethos of the group.

Hart, especially in 1997 would have been a terrible choice for D-X, and definitely would have stuck out as well.

HBK, esp. if it were the born-again version who was less of a dickhead, probably would have been a good fit. Can’t imagine he’d have been happy playing second fiddle in any group, though.