Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cowcaster posted:

it's also an article from a month ago before kids were actually going back to school

There you go then :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Platystemon posted:

There have been a number of studies that people who wear eyeglasses are less likely to be infected, for whatever reason

It's because we're nerds with no friends

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
How about we vaccinate all the kids age 12+ (especially since Pfizer is now fully approved) and hold off on sending the young'uns into the covid mines until the vaccines are approved for them this winter?

I'd rather not find out the hard way that delta is, in fact, much worse than OG covid for kids aged ~5-11.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

prom candy posted:

It's because we're nerds with no friends

What a way to find out I need glasses.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Dren posted:

leave the schools open idc. just please provide a virtual option for those of us who don’t want our kids to be sick or dead

at the very least, the science saying it is safe for kids to be back with layered protections can be criticized for being conducted pre-delta. i am interested to see how well the layered protection strategies play out when properly implemented. i suspect not well enough for me to be comfortable or to justify going back when vaccines are so close but also not terribly bad. as others have noted, big stories about school outbreaks have been at schools without the recommended precautions. i don’t know if school outbreaks v. precautions taken are being tracked nationally. i’d be very interested to see the results.

I don't give a gently caress about any of y'all kids. I do, however, give a gently caress about my best friend, the high school teacher who works at one of the poorest schools in St. Louis. Even in the most liberal mecca of Missouri with the strictest mandates/rules, the chances of outbreaks are higher at his place of work than in my poo poo-hole, chud infested factory.

All his students are poor, live in poor quality homes stacked with too many people, many of whom work at horrible service work jobs where chuds spit their covid infested phlegm at them because their burrito came out too soggy. My friend has a 1.5 year old at home who gets hosed up from even the weakest of colds. She can't get this poo poo. It will wreck her tiny little body.

Sure, kids can be fine and they can have a relatively low rate of infection in good schools, but we're talking about a minority of schools. An outbreak at a school spreads like wildfire through a community due to the secondary infections of people who can't miss work or will face eviction and starvation. For these people, sending their kids to school isn't a question of safety, it's a question of starvation.

So ya, save my buddy some stress. Shut down school again and let him have some extra time with his daughter while she's still cute and bubbly.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

don't probate that guy, now he's probably gonna go spend time with his kids, who he loving hates

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I do agree schools should be closed until cases rates are low enough in each district that it's safe to reopen them (a condition that probably hasn't been met anywhere in my state for over a year). It definitely sucks, because remote learning is worse than in person. There's lots to discuss about that, but I don't want to derail.

What I just can't understand is that we're in the middle of a delta wave breaking daily positive test records and loving Disney World is open, people are cramming into bars and clubs downtown every weekend, businesses are calling remote workers back to the office, and not even a quarter of people I see at the grocery store are still wearing masks or trying to distance themselves -- and yet the only thing I still hear family and coworkers around here debating is whether schools should have reopened this month. It's taken for granted that there absolutely will not be a shutdown of anything else, other than maybe schools if they get an outbreak.

Closing schools while leaving literally every other social gathering space in society open seems like the worst possible arrangement. Which is probably what I deserve anyway for living in Florida. We practice a form of self-flagellation through elections.

no skateboarding EVER!
Apr 21, 2003
Jagermeister & schadenfreude.

Spaghett posted:

I don't give a gently caress about any of y'all kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSXwqGFbj0Y

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'd just quote this entire article but here's a snippet from the Alabama Public Health department. It was released on 08/20.

quote:

To combat this surge in disease, ADPH recommends all children ages 12 and above be vaccinated against COVID-19 with the approved vaccine product. ADPH recently issued School Guidance that any child who has COVID-19 disease should remain in home isolation for 10 days in order to prevent spreading the virus to other students, staff and teachers.

ADPH further recommends, as part of its Isolation and Quarantine Guidance, that close contacts home quarantine unless they meet certain exceptions. Exceptions are having had COVID-19 disease within 90 days of exposure, fully vaccinated status, and, in the K-12 classroom, correct and appropriate mask use with 3 or more feet of distancing.

Between August 1 and August 12, 2020, Alabama had 1,356 reports of COVID-19 in the age range of 5 to 17 years. In this same date range in 2021, there were 6,181 reports among 5- to 17-year-olds.
In the past four weeks, 6.2 percent of cases of COVID-19 in Alabama have been among children 0-4 years of age while 8.1 percent have been in the 5 to 17 age range.
The current percent positive rate in persons 5-17 in Alabama is higher than the state average, with at least 27 percent of SARS-CoV-2 tests in children being positive.
These numbers are based on data reported to Alabama’s electronic disease surveillance system.

While urging all parents and guardians to listen to and read factual information from their pediatrician or other healthcare provider, Landers states, “All Alabamians need to take the threat of this virus more seriously than ever before and implement all preventive and mitigation measures to protect the children of Alabama.”

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think we should close some schools so that the schools that are open can teach more kids. This way 1. Herd immunity less alive people more vaccinated! 2. Cheaper. 3. More people for school shooters. Anyway these beliefs have nothing to do with my desire for their to be less people in the world so I can continue to eat cheap meat or at least delay the death of earth long enough for me to be comfortable. Thanks!

Mask up, get a vaccine, continue to socially distance. Oh and don't post on the internet about how delicious ivermectin is. The apple flavored one is especially yummos.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 27, 2021

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Alabamians? I would have thought it’s Alabamans. But I’m just a dumb stoned Canadian

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bad Purchase posted:

Closing schools while leaving literally every other social gathering space in society open seems like the worst possible arrangement. Which is probably what I deserve anyway for living in Florida. We practice a form of self-flagellation through elections.

I agree so much - a place that truly cared about education would’ve closed schools last, after closing bars, stadiums, tourism, Disneyland, etc etc.

But no, let’s send the tiny humans to the grinder, unvaccinated, and hope for the best, too busy gambling in Vegas to care

(and if you’re a teacher, that’s also how much we care about you)

Also let’s make sure to fight against wearing masks with the passion of a thousand suns, but continue ignoring mass shootings

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Open the schools up I say and let the bullies who make fun of kids wearing masks eat horse medicine.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
People. Why are you continuing to respond to very-intelligent-and-rational poster asdf32? Are you punishing yourselves for some terrible sin or something?

asdf32 is either a lovely troll, or they are cataclysmically stupid. In either case, there is absolutely no benefit to engaging.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Castaign posted:

People. Why are you continuing to respond to very-intelligent-and-rational poster asdf32? Are you punishing yourselves for some terrible sin or something?

asdf32 is either a lovely troll, or they are cataclysmically stupid. In either case, there is absolutely no benefit to engaging.

The point of these forums is to argue and say the meanest things to each other. gently caress you, I'll post what I want.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Spaghett posted:

The point of these forums is to argue and say the meanest things to each other. gently caress you, I'll post what I want.

Hm.

I may disagree with your assessment of the point of the forums, but if nothing else, this is at least an internally consistent reason to continue to beat your head against the brick wall of asdf32's posting.

Carry on then, and godspeed!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Ok so if my schools are following all the guidelines (they are) you’re ok with me sending my kids to school?

Try convincing the guy above who wants all kids home until ______.

I think schools should follow the cdc and/or certainly pay attention to local hospital/infection rates but as both a practical and ideological matter I’m not entirely comfortable sitting in a well off northeast town telling Alabama parents they can’t send their kids to school.

If that's your position, that schools should follow the CDC guidelines and shut down anyway if local case rates are too high, then you already agree with the thread lol

Unfortunately we know that your position is confounded by your inability to recognize that covid-19 is a real illness that puts real kids in real hospitals

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 27, 2021

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Castaign posted:

Hm.

I may disagree with your assessment of the point of the forums, but if nothing else, this is at least an internally consistent reason to continue to beat your head against the brick wall of asdf32's posting.

Carry on then, and godspeed!

Owned

Eztrajx
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
Taliban Vaccine:

worldwide vaccine mandate with only religious exemptions
we get the prophet Muhammad's DNA from his tomb and put it into the vaccine in a benign, but symbolic, way
Taliban oversees vaccine production and gives final approval
once the world is vaccinated let the Taliban declare a worldwide Caliphate

gg

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I think it's important for this thread to to allow people to have different ideas and opinions as long as they're not trolling or spreading disinfo.

A parent may believe that going to school is less risky for their child than continuing to stay at home (maybe their kid is showing signs of super hosed up social skills) just for one example.

Im wearing a half mask respirator to shop in, and most aren't and anyone who thinks thats overkill is entitled to their opinion. They could text me that and thats ok! I really dislike the goon hivemind phenomenon. People who believe different things should be able to post if its reasonable- if its an understandable opinion. They may be thinking gently caress just how much school are they gonna miss???

Saying kids should go to school is not the same as pushing ivermectin.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Spinz posted:

I think it's important for this thread to to allow people to have different ideas and opinions as long as they're not trolling or spreading disinfo.

A parent may believe that going to school is less risky for their child than continuing to stay at home (maybe their kid is showing signs of super hosed up social skills) just for one example.

Im wearing a half mask respirator to shop in, and most aren't and anyone who thinks thats overkill is entitled to their opinion. They could text me that and thats ok! I really dislike the goon hivemind phenomenon. People who believe different things should be able to post if its reasonable- if its an understandable opinion. They may be thinking gently caress just how much school are they gonna miss???

Saying kids should go to school is not the same as pushing ivermectin.

hey everyone this guy wants to marry covid

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
I guess all homeschooled kids are social pariahs with hosed up brains for their entire lives, never being able to adjust to living with civilized humans. Sad really.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Testvan posted:

I guess all homeschooled kids are social pariahs with hosed up brains for their entire lives, never being able to adjust to living with civilized humans. Sad really.

nah it only took me about 10 years

edit: that said it was my choice to be homeschooled in middle school because i already didn't like being around other people so

Mozi fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 27, 2021

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Testvan posted:

Even if this was unironic, it's still better than attending a school run by Christian fundamentalists

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
While it's of limited use right now, my wife has been in moms clubs all of our sons life so I saw a lot of kids in small groups. I also saw a lot of them transition into school-age. I'm in a somewhat conservative area where many families have a stay at home mom and some choose to home school. Almost universally, the public school kids get meaner after a few years in public school and the homeschool kids are sweet and play well with each other. Public school does have a social impact on kids but I'm not sure it's entirely a good one. More likely a mix of good and bad things being picked up.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I know kids should be going to school because homeschooling sucks poo poo, but in this case I think we can wait with school for a bit, ya know with the global pandemic going on and all. Crazy idea I know

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Brain damage does have its downsides

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Testvan posted:

They generally are when their parents aren't socializing them with homeschool groups and other activities

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I'm sure there's a higher incidence of being socially stunted among homeschooled kids.

But I'd wager, and I wouldn't be surprised because this is just a hunch, that the tradeoff is a much lower suicide rate. Public schools are a cesspool of pressure and bullying and other such bullshit. I tried getting some data to confirm or deny this hunch, but all the results were from extremely pro-homeschooling websites so gently caress 'em.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

A lot of folks ITT pretending that school re-opening is a debate between covid-hotspot schools and the social stunting of homeschooling, when it's actually a debate between covid-hotspot schools and poor children being left home alone all day while their essential-worker parents are out making your food, stocking your stores, and delivering your Doordash orders.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My kid's going to school but his school has mandatory mask policy.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

I can't stop laughing at this goddamn

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My kid's going to school but his school has mandatory mask policy.

:same:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Testvan posted:

The thing is, a lot of homeschooled kids are homeschooled because their parents are far-right Christian wingnuts who feel that society as a whole has been corrupted by Satan and his Obama-led Jew Illuminati lizard people allies, and the only antidote is 24 hours a day of Bible study. Not all of them, but a lot.

The result is kids who have absolutely no idea how to function in society and wind up either homeless or mass shooters. But, the root cause is not homeschooling, it's the hyper-religious whackjob parents.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Just asked a woman on the train to please put her mask on over her nose. She rolled her eyes and ignored me. We’re in Spain and I’m realizing how fortunate I’ve been to not go through the pandemic in the states, where I’d have aneurysm-causing bouts of being livid about 87 times an hour.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

boquiabierta posted:

Just asked a woman on the train to please put her mask on over her nose. She rolled her eyes and ignored me. We’re in Spain and I’m realizing how fortunate I’ve been to not go through the pandemic in the states, where I’d have aneurysm-causing bouts of being livid about 87 times an hour.

You have a greater than 70% chance of being shot in the states if you do that

That number doubles if you're not white because then she calls the cops to report you assaulted her and he blasts 15 holes in you 30 milliseconds after exiting his car

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Can we just get a mod to threadban adfs32? Dude literally got a sixer and immediately came back in to start it again. His last four probations are all COVID threadshitting.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 27, 2021

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

let the man come back and post. he should be allowed to admit we should have just closed the schools.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spinz posted:

People who believe different things should be able to post if its reasonable- if its an understandable opinion.

The person in question wasn't just posting their opinion though, they were inventing insane strawman arguments to demonize anyone who disagreed with them:

asdf32 posted:

And there is a literal mountain of research on the benefits of school and education (hint: it’s not math). It even used to be a pillar of left leaning policy to champion it.

asdf32 posted:

I wish arguing on behalf of the benefits of in school education wasn’t a thing. But in the fun world of 2021 it it’s a thing you now need to explain to the left.
Etc etc

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

They're either not interested in or not capable of actually discussing it or listening to other opinions, they just want to vent at someone. It's obviously a gigantic national issue that isn't being addressed properly at all and it's monumentally insane that schools are opening up and pretending that everything will be fine and then loving over everyone's lives and causing massive amounts of harm when they inevitably have to close or put entire classes in quarantine because kids and teachers caught the virus but shitlips wasn't interested in actually discussing it.

People who were screaming about me being an 'anti-vaxxer' when I was talking about breakthrough cases were just as bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Can we just get a mod to threadban adfs32? Dude literally got a sixer and immediately came back in to start it again. His last four probations are all COVID threadshitting.

The ramping concept leaves a lot to be desired when it rises an inch for every mile