Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Biden the Baby Killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

Does duolingo mandarin work? I've done a few courses but I suck at it.

I like the Pimsleur method courses on Audible myself, but I haven't tried DuoLingo. I like that I can do it during my commute.

Cannot wait to be a middle manager that profusely apologizes to his Chinese overlords for the lazy shiftlessness of my American subordinates.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Greg Legg posted:

Does duolingo mandarin work? I've done a few courses but I suck at it.

I really click with it very well

your experience may vary but I would recommend it to anyone at least to try it.

edit: it uses characters and not pinyin. which I think is really the way to go, but learning Chinese characters is....something that some people will be better at than others. I make up little stories or other tricks to remember each one. and after repetitions, you don't need the tricks anymore

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

how did we get to this place?

this is a whole new level of crack-ping

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Mr Hootington posted:

I went to look and holy crap that poster has lost their mind.

You would think a guy who paid money to call himself KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD would be a lot cooler than that

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

my friend's father and aunt both died last night, and her grandmother is intubated.

a family murdered by DeSantis and Biden

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
my sister gave birth to my niece about a year and a half before covid started, she was something like 28/29 weeks. They were both in the hospital for months. Visiting the NICU even then was stressful, I was extremely worried that I'd be bringing in something that would kill her or her baby. Can't even imagine how it is now.

Oh yeah, and I saw multiple people throw poo poo fits about washing their hands before entering. Wonder if that's gotten any better lol

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I like the Pimsleur method courses on Audible myself, but I haven't tried DuoLingo. I like that I can do it during my commute.

Cannot wait to be a middle manager that profusely apologizes to his Chinese overlords for the lazy shiftlessness of my American subordinates.

mdemone posted:

I really click with it very well

your experience may vary but I would recommend it to anyone at least to try it.

edit: it uses characters and not pinyin. which I think is really the way to go, but learning Chinese characters is....something that some people will be better at than others. I make up little stories or other tricks to remember each one. and after repetitions, you don't need the tricks anymore

Thank you! I will try both of these. I do pretty good with duolingo spanish combined with watching seasons 1 - 10 of the simpsons in spanish.

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao i checked the d&d thread and how are they repeating the same 4chan conspiracies from march 2020? "a billion people are dead of covid in china and no one can say anything because xi jinping personally writes every news article!!"

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

lmao i checked the d&d thread and how are they repeating the same 4chan conspiracies from march 2020? "a billion people are dead of covid in china and no one can say anything because xi jinping personally writes every news article!!"

It rules living in a dying empire. I remember reading how like the last recorded event at the Flavian Amphitheater was a chicken fight. Same poo poo, different century.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

kalensc posted:

Awful App owns though

Forums on a pc feel weird as hell to me now

it does feel weird

Weather Chopper 9
Apr 9, 2007
Your eye in the sky
You absolutely have to use other tools in addition to duolingo to learn mandarin. Duolingo's given me two to two and a half romance languages, but I already speak mediocre chinese and duolingo isn't that helpful for supporting the lanuage at anything beyond basic, timed, repetitive exposure. For me, physically writing the characters is the most important thing and unless something has changed, skritter is the only tool that does something like that. When you get a little deeper, I highly recommend the popup dictionary extension in chrome.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
we really need an update to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f6-MDhygWc

also i think i read this thread too much. i see the night crew links then the same links posted by day crew 12 hours later lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Serf posted:

meanwhile literally every media outlet has been talking non-stop about Afghanistan and Kabul airport for the last two weeks - but that's different. Any consensus reached by our media and military intelligence is a coincidence and only happens because they listen to the science and the experts.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Weather Chopper 9 posted:

You absolutely have to use other tools in addition to duolingo to learn mandarin. Duolingo's given me two to two and a half romance languages, but I already speak mediocre chinese and duolingo isn't that helpful for supporting the lanuage at anything beyond basic, timed, repetitive exposure. For me, physically writing the characters is the most important thing and unless something has changed, skritter is the only tool that does something like that. When you get a little deeper, I highly recommend the popup dictionary extension in chrome.

I am using the HelloChinese app, which also makes you draw the characters, and provides little cartoon representations of their origins. I tried Duolingo, but the complete lack of explanations for the characters made it hard to remember them.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
HR basically just shrugged and told me to talk to the CEO.

Lol, gently caress me.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Best part of learning Chinese is enjoying the homophone puns

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I don't have a need at the moment to be able to write, or understand handwritten mandarin. my primary use would be verbal conversation with students, for now. but I can definitely see what you mean, I am looking for a supplemental dictionary that will reinforce what duolingo is doing.

the chrome popup sounds great!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SimonChris posted:

I am using the HelloChinese app, which also makes you draw the characters, and provides little cartoon representations of their origins. I tried Duolingo, but the complete lack of explanations for the characters made it hard to remember them.

I had HelloChinese downloaded and never opened it. Thanks for the tip, I did feel like I was plateauing a bit only doing the speaking part. Like, my understanding of the tonal aspect of it can really only get so far on its own.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Aurubin posted:

It rules living in a dying empire. I remember reading how like the last recorded event at the Flavian Amphitheater was a chicken fight. Same poo poo, different century.

china hitting their stride right as america is dying is the luckiest break for them lol. i don't really like the prc but someone needs to take up the banner of the ussr and present some sort of vaguely left viewpoint as we go into climate armageddon

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

net work error posted:

Welcome to the Chinese century.

No reason to build a giant military when you use the immortal science to win favor globally by actually giving things instead of threatening to punch people.

Xi! *click*

Biden's idiot bluster is no different than Trump's, and both of them sound really stupid coming from an obvious failing empire that can't even handle a respiratory pandemic properly because capital is too busy ripping the copper out of the walls.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

:(

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Serf posted:

I think a lot of liberals got used to having trump as an enemy and haven't figured out how to climb down out of that particular tree. I'm seeing liberals calling other people Russian bots at a rate not seen since the election, liberals are super pissed at China, and the unvaccinated people making it so that liberals have to wear masks again should apparently all be lined up against a long ditch and shot. There's no longer an official racist mass-murdering bad guy to be better than, so they're just being themselves .

Apr 7, 2003

Real Mean Queen posted:

I think a lot of liberals got used to having trump as an enemy and haven't figured out how to climb down out of that particular tree. I'm seeing liberals calling other people Russian bots at a rate not seen since the election, liberals are super pissed at China, and the unvaccinated people making it so that liberals have to wear masks again should apparently all be lined up against a long ditch and shot. There's no longer an official racist mass-murdering bad guy to be better than, so they're just being themselves .

It's Blue MAGA, they're no different than the people they hate in that they have a tribe, not a comprehensible ideology.

There absolutely was a wave of people this year who were pissy because they got vaccinated and they did what the Daily Show told them to do, and orange bad man was gone and they wanted their loving cookie right now or else. They were functionally no different in any way than the flyover slobs they made fun of for going to Red Lobster last year, but since they "won" it was their turn.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

HR basically just shrugged and told me to talk to the CEO.

Lol, gently caress me.

make sure you bring healing items to the encounter

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Real Mean Queen posted:

So the liberals are just being racist mass-murdering bad guys? :hmmyes:

Apr 7, 2003

As I posted that, the radio sports guy is talking about how High School football starts this weekend and "these kids are going to make memories that last for a lifetime."

lmao they certainly will

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A lot of professors are pissed at the idiot students and expect we'll be back online within a few weeks :lol:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It is wild that d&d decries state media and then posts BBC, ABC, usa government press releases, or any American media as trusted sources.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Serf posted:

china hitting their stride right as america is dying is the luckiest break for them lol. i don't really like the prc but someone needs to take up the banner of the ussr and present some sort of vaguely left viewpoint as we go into climate armageddon

China's going to be the new global hegemon by the end of the century and probably much sooner. They're going to get pretty hosed by climate change but they're also probably one of a half dozen countries capable of actually mitigating it to some extent

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hatebag posted:

China's going to be the new global hegemon by the end of the century and probably much sooner. They're going to get pretty hosed by climate change but they're also probably one of a half dozen countries capable of actually mitigating it to some extent

i for one welcome my new chinese overlords

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

hey respirator crew people, question or two.

1) where is the mega-post with all the respirator advice? like babby's first respirator attempt stuff

2) my friend working in a COVID unit decided of her own accord to try a 3M 6200 series with P100s instead of an N95 because she trusts it more, but she says it hurts her face a lot. i feel like her head is pretty average sized, has a relatively small nose, so i'm not really clear on what could be going wrong there. is there [a] anything she should try re: adjusting a 6200, or [b] a different model people have generally found to be more comfortable?

thanks!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Meanwhile 75% of the us west depends on mountain snow for their water which is all going to gently caress off and also like most of the west will be on fire all the time and then come the hypercanes

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1431264120989523971?s=20

Apr 7, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

It is wild that d&d decries state media and then posts BBC, ABC, usa government press releases, or any American media as trusted sources.

They're stacking corpses like cordwood in Florida and the news is about our brave dead troops, anyone in this country that doesn't think we're at North Korea levels of brainwashing is a stupid fucker.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

And the us response will be

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

good news for the previously infected

Comparing SARS-CoV-2 natural immunity to vaccine-induced immunity: reinfections versus breakthrough infections posted:

This study demonstrated that natural immunity confers longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease and hospitalization caused by the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2, compared to the BNT162b2 two-dose vaccine-induced immunity. Individuals who were both previously infected with SARS-CoV-2 and given a single dose of the vaccine gained additional protection against the Delta variant.

Apr 7, 2003

Hatebag posted:

Meanwhile 75% of the us west depends on mountain snow for their water which is all going to gently caress off and also like most of the west will be on fire all the time and then come the hypercanes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wasteland 3 was really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Covok posted:

gently caress America.

Garbage nation.

I legit want to emigrate anywhere else. The imperialism and evil of the west must end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr5rDr5ODRw
the west is gonna perish, the west is gonna perish