Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I used to play the original Wasteland every year for shits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

post COVID posted:

good news for the previously infected

username/post etc etc

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

My sister is a NICU nurse in South Florida. She's described similar, tons of unvaccinated mothers getting really sick, normal ICUs full with more and more school-aged kids in there. The other day she was in the NICU Covid unit taking care of two preemie kids and they were on a backup generator, which meant no A/C and their water/ice machine wasn't working. I don't know what else to call it other than a failed state.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

sickening

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm so tired of worrying about money. I'd so gladly settle for not having 15 brands of energy drinks and 45 brands of beer in the supermarket if it meant my government could assure me I wouldn't go homeless as long as I was 'working' in some manner.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I keep pressing disband but nothing's happening

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/pbvcdu/uhh_are_any_of_these_unvaccinated_patients_in/

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

I'm so tired of worrying about money. I'd so gladly settle for not having 15 brands of energy drinks and 45 brands of beer in the supermarket if it meant my government could assure me I wouldn't go homeless as long as I was 'working' in some manner.

sorry, we ran this by the numbers guys and they said that doesn't look good for next quarter's profits

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

etalian posted:

Wasteland 3 was really good

Wasteland 2 was fun but it was also a buggy pile of poo poo. Did they carry over this design philosophy?

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Soap Scum posted:

hey respirator crew people, question or two.

1) where is the mega-post with all the respirator advice? like babby's first respirator attempt stuff

2) my friend working in a COVID unit decided of her own accord to try a 3M 6200 series with P100s instead of an N95 because she trusts it more, but she says it hurts her face a lot. i feel like her head is pretty average sized, has a relatively small nose, so i'm not really clear on what could be going wrong there. is there [a] anything she should try re: adjusting a 6200, or [b] a different model people have generally found to be more comfortable?

thanks!

1) quoted in the first post under PPE

2) the 3M 6200 looks like its moulded plastic style; your friend should try a silicon 1/2 mask like 3M's secure click or Honeywell's RU8500 series. ive worn mine (RU8500) for 4+ hours at a time with no discomfort

make sure to reference the sizing chart to make sure that your friend is getting a mask that fits properly, too.

Apr 7, 2003

[–] CaptainBasketQueso 67 points 18 hours ago
Honestly, I wish they'd stop only reporting deaths in the news and add in
Permanent disabilities
Long term (or permanent) hospitalization.
Widows, widowers and children who have lost a parent to covid. That's a crapload of potential long term family trauma.
Non-covid patients who have needlessly suffered or died due to covid patients clogging up the hospitals.
I swear my blood pressure goes up a tick every time some dipshit says "Yeah, but the morality rate is only (whatever)."
That number does not reflect the devastating impact this pandemic is having.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he died for out freedoms

:911:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

this was the nightmare scenario that caused the wave of panicked action last year and now it's just the cost of doing business, can't be helped

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's Blue MAGA, they're no different than the people they hate in that they have a tribe, not a comprehensible ideology.

There absolutely was a wave of people this year who were pissy because they got vaccinated and they did what the Daily Show told them to do, and orange bad man was gone and they wanted their loving cookie right now or else. They were functionally no different in any way than the flyover slobs they made fun of for going to Red Lobster last year, but since they "won" it was their turn.

Oh my respected friend, I live in Portland Oregon, you can't throw a rock without hitting some blue maga. My neighbor down the hall got an early vaccine back in like February or so and immediately started hosting parties in her small apartment. People got sick almost instantly, but she was being safe in her mind because she was vaccinated and told everyone as much and all her friends said they had been being safe. It was their fault for showing up, not hers for inviting them.

I wish I had counted how many people told me I didn't need to wear my respirator because they were vaccinated/the cdc said so/the store doesn't make you do it now/we hit herd immunity. I don't think I run into too many self identifying right wingers, but it makes absolutely no difference as far as people getting mad at you for wearing a mask goes.

Mr Hootington posted:

So the liberals are just being racist mass-murdering bad guys? :hmmyes:

We're minting a thousand new corpses a day and screaming about China while we're doing it, you tell me

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I wake up every day disgusted by my failed state

Apr 7, 2003

Real Mean Queen posted:

Oh my respected friend, I live in Portland Oregon, you can't throw a rock without hitting some blue maga. My neighbor down the hall got an early vaccine back in like February or so and immediately started hosting parties in her small apartment. People got sick almost instantly, but she was being safe in her mind because she was vaccinated and told everyone as much and all her friends said they had been being safe. It was their fault for showing up, not hers for inviting them.

I wish I had counted how many people told me I didn't need to wear my respirator because they were vaccinated/the cdc said so/the store doesn't make you do it now/we hit herd immunity. I don't think I run into too many self identifying right wingers, but it makes absolutely no difference as far as people getting mad at you for wearing a mask goes.

We're minting a thousand new corpses a day and screaming about China while we're doing it, you tell me

My sister and I are not on speaking terms because she got vaccinated back in March and started posting pictures of herself hitting the bars and I said "probably a bad idea going unmasked to bars while 75% of people aren't vaccinated." She went absolutely apeshit at my "negative nancy poo poo."

Her husband is 45, has congestive heart failure, and has a pacemaker.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Wife just scheduled booster for today at CVS , hoping they don't give her poo poo

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

The only real advantage that this thread offers is that you can point at a coffin and be like "LMAO CALLED IT"

I love every one of you and the community aspect is super important to me, but man oh man most of what I get from this is just the ability to say that a disaster will happen in a month and then it does. It's not lottery numbers, you know?

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 27, 2021

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

amazing thread title

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh no it’s happening

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

euphronius posted:

oh no it’s happening

who is this fuckin moron

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

zeynep fuckin sucks huh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Soap Scum posted:

2) my friend working in a COVID unit decided of her own accord to try a 3M 6200 series with P100s instead of an N95 because she trusts it more, but she says it hurts her face a lot. i feel like her head is pretty average sized, has a relatively small nose, so i'm not really clear on what could be going wrong there. is there [a] anything she should try re: adjusting a 6200, or [b] a different model people have generally found to be more comfortable?

there are two pairs of straps on the 3M 6200 that adjusts how tight the face-fit is. you can tell her to try loosening them, as long as it still passes a seal test it should be fine

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

being a weakass bitch isn't a treatable illness

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Show
Me
The
Data!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

euphronius posted:

he died for out freedoms

:911:

thank u intubated covid man for dying from freedom to protect are freedom

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Der Meister posted:

who is this fuckin moron

she's a huge piece of poo poo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Der Meister posted:

who is this fuckin moron

pro-covid pundit along the lines of Oster et. al. who keep pushing Data and The Science tell us COVID isn't so bad/restrictions are overblown etc.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I immediately tried to read that name backward, and penyez is sort of funny

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

all of these people are obsessed with contrarian or 'counterintuitive' takes that show how much smarter they really are

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Der Meister posted:

who is this fuckin moron

she's the lady the NYT called up when Oster gave up too many hits and had to be reassigned.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Der Meister posted:

who is this fuckin moron

this was the lady who IN MAY 2021 that there was no evidence that the UK was heading toward a surge of Delta

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

zegermans posted:

being a weakass bitch isn't a treatable illness

Droned wedding victims thank him for his service

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
friend at uiuc sent me this from his email

quote:

We are still receiving vaccine information and verifying it, but these are the percentages of verified vaccinations for various student and employee groups on campus as of this morning.
• Undergraduate students: 88%
• Graduate students: 88%
• Faculty: 82%
• Academic professionals: 87%
• Civil service: 65%

i believe civil service are the tradespeople who are constantly doing the building projects there but am not sure. maybe other support staff like IT

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Real Mean Queen posted:

The only real advantage that this thread offers is that you can point at a coffin and be like "LMAO CALLED IT"

I love every one of you and the community aspect is super important to me, but man oh man most of what I get from this is just the ability to say that a disaster will happen in a month and then it does. It's not lottery numbers, you know?

we also get in depth respirator knowledge

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've been working :(

What new LMAOs did I miss over the last 3 hours?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Perhaps we were wrong to believe we could defeat the virus by evading it, outsmarting it. Perhaps the correct way is to confront it head-on, like warriors.

Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

this was the lady who IN MAY 2021 that there was no evidence that the UK was heading toward a surge of Delta

"You can't tell us that's a duck without a signed affidavit from the duck saying he's a duck, otherwise there is no evidence" is an incredibly common bad faith arguing tactic online. Nice to see it get into the NYT.

Apr 7, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Perhaps we were wrong to believe we could defeat the virus by evading it, outsmarting it. Perhaps the correct way is to confront it head-on, like warriors.

gasping at the walls of hypoxia
bing bong
I am the warrior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Lovelyn posted:

He died.