Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
i live next to an elementary school. drove past when school was opening this week. hundreds of parents and children

i didn't see a single mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Crusader posted:

that's what crack-pinged me yet again last week or the week before; the ball is already rolling

trust only your bean stash

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

what the gently caress are they waiting for why haven't they opened Biden on boosters for everyone

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

19 o'clock posted:

I’m sure the free market is going to step in any second now to fix this.

I’m starting wonder what the death count needs to be until the powers that be actually care. it’s probably a lot

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

euphronius posted:

I think If there are schools “closings” (ie going remote) people are going to just go bonkers

it's gonna happen here for sure. i drove past one of the biggest college bars yesterday at 4:30. they opened at 5 for happy hour. the line was four person wide packed deep and went more than a block before turning a corner where I couldn't see just how far it went. no one was wearing a mask.

reminder that vaccination rates on my campus are between 11-20% for these undergrads.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

HHS DATA UPDATE

There are now 20 states over 80% ICU occupancy, 8 over 90, and 1 over 100.

Using current growth patterns - by next Friday , we will have 30 states over 80%, and 11 over 90.

haven’t you heard? we’re peaking! it’s all downhill from here!

:crackping:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

dew worm posted:

I’m starting wonder what the death count needs to be until the powers that be actually care. it’s probably a lot

the free market is stepping in by closing down restaurants because the workers all died or were deported.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

dew worm posted:

the powers that be will care when number stops going up

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Parents seem to not like their kids much

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Google Butt posted:

what the gently caress are they waiting for why haven't they opened Biden on boosters for everyone

Biden's regency is busy fighting among itself about Afghanistan and how bad the realities of our ability to project power and maintain empire impinge on their collective delusions w/r/t America and it's place in everything.

Even if there was energy to do Something about covid (there isn't), we have to sort out the squabbles between Qatar/KSA proxies in our government first.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Google Butt posted:

most people aren't in the window they need them yet. i got my second shot in april, so i'm not even at the 6 month mark where efficacy starts to decline until october.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Nonsense posted:

kids don't get covid you dumbass, you loving idiot

check the science

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zurtilik posted:

I do utilize my libraries sweet free services. I should check out if they have any NYT stuff. But NYT is definitely hitting me with the you need to pay me pop-up on that link.

https://github.com/qnoum/bypass-paywalls-chrome-clean-magnolia1234

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bypass-paywalls-clean/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
"The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote"
--Luke Skywalker

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Schnorkles posted:

the powers that be will care when number stops going up

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nonsense posted:

sandy hook proved that. one parkland survivor in florida has a chud father that doesn't believe the shooting happened.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I can't get my booster until November

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

stone soup posted:

ya, np. gl
in other news the mail-person came before i left to get quarters for laundry

gotta say, wearing this combo in public is the Covid equivalent of wearing a slayer shirt to a slayer concert.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Mr. Nice! posted:

most people aren't in the window they need them yet. i got my second shot in april, so i'm not even at the 6 month mark where efficacy starts to decline until october.

I think it's supposed to be 6 months at the first shot, and 4 months looks optimal for pfizer

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

HHS DATA UPDATE

There are now 20 states over 80% ICU occupancy, 8 over 90, and 1 over 100.

Using current growth patterns - by next Friday , we will have 30 states over 80%, and 11 over 90.

wait can I guess the 1

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

sandy hook proved that. one parkland survivor in florida has a chud father that doesn't believe the shooting happened.

That sounds to me like a recipe for an incredibly broken (and possibly violently so) person.

Hearing gunshots crack across your high school just to be told by someone that raised you that you're lying. loving hell.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Soap Scum posted:

hey respirator crew people, question or two.

1) where is the mega-post with all the respirator advice? like babby's first respirator attempt stuff

2) my friend working in a COVID unit decided of her own accord to try a 3M 6200 series with P100s instead of an N95 because she trusts it more, but she says it hurts her face a lot. i feel like her head is pretty average sized, has a relatively small nose, so i'm not really clear on what could be going wrong there. is there [a] anything she should try re: adjusting a 6200, or [b] a different model people have generally found to be more comfortable?

thanks!

To add to what gradenko said, you can change a lot about how a 6000 fits by just loving around with the straps. Unless I'm counting wrong on this one here, there are six points on the straps you can tighten or loosen, and the difference between a good fit and one that sucks can be a difference of a fraction of an inch on any of them. Tighten up the back of the neck too tight and the mask is going to try to fall down, tighten the snout ones too hard and it'll try to buck off your chin and crush the bridge of your nose, etc. If you get them all balanced right, it's more comfortable than a surgical mask. I'd compare it to adjusting the mirrors on a car, there's a small range of configurations that will help you stay alive and an infinite number of configurations that won't, so it's worth your time to screw around with it and get it right.

Before you or your friend decide it's comfortable and call it a day, make sure to do them PRESSURE CHECKS! These are super easy. Use your hands to cover the parts of the mask where the air goes in and try to take a breath. If it doesn't work and your brain makes you feel a little scared about your air supply, your mask fits correctly. If you got some air getting in through the edges of the mask, fix your straps and try again. There should be nothing coming in. I found it very unpleasant when I got it right the first time, so shoot for that.

Once you've got that, and using your hand again, cover the hole on the mask where the air comes out and try to exhale normally. If air gets out, your mask doesn't fit. If the air doesn't go anywhere and the mask just puffs up a little, you've passed the second pressure check. Now you know you have a mask that does not have any air coming in or out of anywhere it isn't supposed to.

It feels weird at first, but you'll be able to get that motherfucker on and pressure checked in a matter of seconds once you've had it for like a week, and you'll be smugger than you've ever been when you're at the store.

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 27, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I think it's supposed to be 6 months at the first shot, and 4 months looks optimal for pfizer

the Biden administration wants the CDC to issue them after eight months. What i'm not sure of is if its from the first or second shot

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

stone soup posted:

ya, np. gl

wow enjoy living in fear

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

that was a nice :crackping:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

gotta say, wearing this combo in public is the Covid equivalent of wearing a slayer shirt to a slayer concert.

If you never take your respirator off when are you gonna wear the shirt think about it

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

If you're nurse friend isn't broke, tell her to buy the ru8500 in 2 different sizes with the smaller p100 filters

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hatebag posted:

China's going to be the new global hegemon by the end of the century and probably much sooner. They're going to get pretty hosed by climate change but they're also probably one of a half dozen countries capable of actually mitigating it to some extent

WET

CHINESE

BOSSES

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Salt Fish posted:

If you never take your respirator off when are you gonna wear the shirt think about it

Also if you wear the shirt without your respirator, you look like a huge hypocrite.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

inferis posted:

one thing with language learning is to avoid the trap of constantly finding new tools and also making sure you are getting actual skills and not just the dopamine hit of making your duolingo streaks or whatever. keep laser focused on your goal which should be to consume native content as soon as possible because that’s where you really start to learn for real.

dank je wel

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Schnorkles posted:

Boise hospitals are all apparently on the brink of total collapse because of staffing issues.

Northern Idaho has collapsed as far as I know outside of maybe Moscow.

My stepdad went to the ER yesterday with some really bad shoulder / neck pain and waited 4 hours and got increasingly mad. They finally got him a room and a Dr came in and asked him if he was dying, straight up told him that if he wasn't dying he didn't have time to deal with his bullshit. They did a quick xray and prescribed him some loving Valium for muscle spasms and told him not to come back. This was in Boise, lmao.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

stone soup posted:

ya, np. gl

I love how your filters sort of match

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I think If there are schools “closings” (ie going remote) people are going to just go bonkers

everyone is so loving on edge about this, its wild. monday morning is spit testing day and oh boy are we gonna lose our minds if like 2% of kids are asymptomatically carrying it

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Pohl posted:

My stepdad went to the ER yesterday with some really bad shoulder / neck pain and waited 4 hours and got increasingly mad. They finally got him a room and a Dr came in and asked him if he was dying, straight up told him that if he wasn't dying he didn't have time to deal with his bullshit. They did a quick xray and prescribed him some loving Valium for muscle spasms and told him not to come back. This was in Boise, lmao.

lol

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

contrary to popular belief it is bad when people die and if empathy alone doesn't sway you it also causes a lot of knock on effects that you probably won't like
Oh don't give me that hand wringy bullshit.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pohl posted:

lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The first day of school here had hours long line to get into the schools and out from the schools. There will be literal riots and school boards will be torched to the ground if they close schools

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

word, some quality 6200 education right here. sending along. tyty

...and again if anyone sees this and knows where to buy silicon half-face respirators in philippines/manila please let me know tyia

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pohl posted:

its bob and brad time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UF_HYBCh_Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stereotype posted:

contrary to popular belief it is bad when people die and if empathy alone doesn't sway you it also causes a lot of knock on effects that you probably won't like

the knock on effect is that you will get sick and die while the chuds get treated