Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

THE BAR posted:

I just don't think, as my first assumption also was, that WCs are for me. I feel like I have to do everything perfectly, otherwise I'll miss the goal right at the home stretch.

I won't tell anybody that they should do a WC, it's pretty miserable to do most of the time. But it definitely does not require perfect play. What it really demands is aggressive early- and mid-game play, and then just completely grinding end-game play. You should be fighting multiple wars much of the the time so you can be coring continuously, especially in the endgame.

Honestly once you get to 1700 it's amazing just how much conquering you can do, conquering all of Europe takes like 50 years at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, the trick is to attack one religious+cultural group at a time and drive them to extinction so you never have to worry about coalitions.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Firebatgyro posted:

Speaking of Anbennar, I never realized how much total dev there ends up being towards the end on VH. I'm already at least 5k over a vanilla WC and probably have ~15k to go.

You know you can remove merchants from your outliner right? I never saw any reason to have them clogging it up

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Wafflecopper posted:

You know you can remove merchants from your outliner right? I never saw any reason to have them clogging it up

To see when you have a new free one available.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If you have free ones it shows up in the top bar.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
That's a good point. But I miss poo poo on the top bar all the time, it's a lot more noticeable in the outliner. Lots of colonists in my playthroughs end up staying home and smoking pot all day instead of expanding my borders because I only look up there once every ten years or so.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah normally I have it off but the jadd have a mechanic that moves your capital around a lot and it fucks your trade routes and TCs.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

If you have free ones it shows up in the top bar.

There's also an alert for when you have idle merchants now

Firebatgyro posted:

Yeah normally I have it off but the jadd have a mechanic that moves your capital around a lot and it fucks your trade routes and TCs.

Ah okay, that makes sense then

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

There are some alert flags that you should just disable to make the actually useful alerts more readable. You don't need one that tells you that you're in a war or have enough money for a building, those are things that should be obvious.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

"We still have over 500 open bugs to work with for EU4, but that is by far the best shape the project has ever been."

That's a rather optimistic assessment.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Wake me when EUV launches at this rate.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

2013 EU4 would be unrecognizable to us today

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Buildings used to cost monarch points...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Remember actual carpet sieges. Take out their army in one or two battles then just sit on every province for half a decade

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Remember actual carpet sieges. Take out their army in one or two battles then just sit on every province for half a decade

One of the main reasons I bounced off M&T is that it seemed to think bringing back carpet sieging was just a fantastic idea.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jay Rust posted:

2013 EU4 would be unrecognizable to us today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8A1pXCr5E

I sorta miss the chunky provinces.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wafflecopper posted:

Expel or purge will eventually get rid of the gnoll pop modifiers and convert the culture and religion for you, but it can take some time. In the meanwhile you'll get events giving those provinces some devastation. So yeah either that or just dev them up to 20 and accept them. As you guessed, expelling will give other gnolls some more gnoll pops but it's a very small benefit. Purging might be faster than expelling but I'm not sure. The maluses aren't really until end of game, they go away when you cancel the expulsion/purge.

Well they are 4 pretty terrible provinces - I think they're like 15 dev total between them - and there's no other Hill Gnoll culture around (not even in Viakkoc where I'm going to expand eventually, those are Seafaring Gnolls or something like that)

In this case I guess expelling them would be best since accepting a 20-dev culture that you're not going to get more provinces of is kinda pointless... also sounds like something the Bold Mustachioed Men of Verne would do, definitely :black101:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

you may not like it but this is what ideal geography looks like

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Make every region in current EU4 a single province. Bam, no more border gore

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you may not like it but this is what ideal geography looks like
Oh god I forgot about the no mountains in central Italy part.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Well they are 4 pretty terrible provinces - I think they're like 15 dev total between them - and there's no other Hill Gnoll culture around (not even in Viakkoc where I'm going to expand eventually, those are Seafaring Gnolls or something like that)

In this case I guess expelling them would be best since accepting a 20-dev culture that you're not going to get more provinces of is kinda pointless... also sounds like something the Bold Mustachioed Men of Verne would do, definitely :black101:

you could also accept them, dev up and finish the mission, then demote. slightly more expensive than expulsion but a lot faster. otoh expulsion gets you some converted provinces

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm very sad that having confucianism as my syncretic religion doesn't count for this

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That's just what you get for being a northern barbarian

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So I've been tinkering with Abennar and while Dwarves seem interesting and I can see what they're going for with the massive native stacks in the caves but it really exposes just how broken the entire colonization system is. Having a "5%" chance (I'm convinced something is broken here as the average time between uprisings is ~6months, not 20) of uprising that spits out 9k stacks of enemies in -1 or 2 attacker roll terrains is just :allears:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 27, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

There's an event that spawns a native uprising which I'm pretty sure ignores the normal uprising chance; it fires even if you pick the coexistence policy.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Wafflecopper posted:

There's an event that spawns a native uprising which I'm pretty sure ignores the normal uprising chance; it fires even if you pick the coexistence policy.

This only brings up even more questions as the event (diggy.32) has a MTTH of 3 years, x5 for AI, x1.5 for Remnant which would make sense on its own. Except that after testing the event fires far more often than that.

With that said the generic native uprisings do still occur on top of the event which is hilarious and don't have the built in native reductions that the event does so the 100% reduced chance (to 5%) is still very, very worth it.

E: After a bunch more testing, diggy.32 fires every ~8months (average) per colony. Lowest I've seen was 2 months.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 27, 2021

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Can anyone explain how coring works and why you have to do it twice?

It seems like you core the first time to go from territory to province. But then you make a state and have to core the province again?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you're only paying half the coring cost each time, first for territorial core and then if you want to state it. it you conquer a province that's already in one of your states you'll notice the cost will be much higher than usual and you'll only have to do it once because you're paying the full price to go full state core

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Verkal Skomdihr is super fun

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Do they have missions? I tried one of the holds with no mission tree and it seemed like a miserable slow slog, especially once the disasters got going.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

dublish posted:

Do they have missions? I tried one of the holds with no mission tree and it seemed like a miserable slow slog, especially once the disasters got going.

Yep
https://sites.google.com/view/anbennar-missions/missions/west-serpentspine/verkal-skomdihr

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This is definitely outdated, most or all Eordand nations have their unique mission trees. Even if Eordand itself disappointingly has not. But I'm waiting for the update that will make it possible to create a portal to the Deepwoods to play in the area anyway.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

dublish posted:

their thing is you make the capital impregnable with magic then go into the deepwoods and kick out all the orcs and goblins, convert or kick out the elves, and get a monopoly on tropical wood which is necessary for everyone else to make ships, so you get rich as gently caress

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My current campaign in Anbennar I rolled random and got one of the Deepwood orc tribes. There's an event when you take land to convert into "Emerald Orc" culture and take a new fey spirit religion and it's v cool. Also you get a new tag with a mission tree.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Just finished a Harpylen campaign, and man did that rule. Basically the nation equivalent of the Doom Marine, murdering everyone in sight with your insane units while scrambling to end them all before they can occupy half your land.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Can anyone explain how coring works and why you have to do it twice?

It seems like you core the first time to go from territory to province. But then you make a state and have to core the province again?

There are 4 kinds of provinces. Or levels of ownership.

First is a fully stated province, these are your core lands. You get 100% of the benefits from them and they have an autonomy floor of 0. This is your heartland. It costs the most of your governing cap. If you ever lose them you have the reconquest cb as your cores stay.

Second is a territorial core. These are lands you've conquered but haven't integrated into your empire. Paying thay first set of coring costs is getting a grasp on them. They have a 90% autonomy floor so you don't get much from them. (This can be lowered a bit) but they are cheap in terms of governing cap. If you lose them you have no reconquest.

The difference is how well integrated are they in your empire, fully vs you put your guy in charge but they still do things their own way like they always have done.

Then you have trade companies, basically like territorial cores that cost a bit more governing capacity, but give huge trade benefits and can be good for tax, manpower etc with investment.

Lastly is colonial, which is a whole over system where you own it indirectly kinda like a special vassal.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Playing as Portugal, I've taken over the new world and eaten all the other colonial powers bar Holland, which never even formed. It's 1650 or so and I'm currently finishing up my mission tree by conquering various trading posts in the east before forming Spain but I've discovered a bit of a problem: There's more uncolonized provinces in Africa and Oceania than I can colonize before the end of the game, is there a way to speed up colonizing or should I have left England and France alive as an OPM to do it for me?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

If you're not intent on colonizing every free province, just ignore eastern Africa since it's all worthless land

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

Playing as Portugal, I've taken over the new world and eaten all the other colonial powers bar Holland, which never even formed. It's 1650 or so and I'm currently finishing up my mission tree by conquering various trading posts in the east before forming Spain but I've discovered a bit of a problem: There's more uncolonized provinces in Africa and Oceania than I can colonize before the end of the game, is there a way to speed up colonizing or should I have left England and France alive as an OPM to do it for me?

Recall your colonists once they have started the colony and send them somewhere else. If you've eaten all of Iberia / France / GB I'm sure you have more than enough money to go way over your colony soft-cap.

You can also move your capital somewhere closer to Africa/Oceania so the colonist travel time goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

For comparison, I'm just playing a chill Spain game and every province that's not inland Africa is colonised by about 1620.

I did it by grabbing Portugal early, though they didn't contribute a whole lot, Seville gets rich, I could run 8 colonies at a time if I didn't have anything else draining finances, 7 no matter what. It really speeds things up.

Also rush to get a colonial nation to 5 provinces asap, then set them as a free colony and subsidise them 2-4 ducats for ten years, those guys can colonize like gang busters. When they get huge just change them to a crown colony for 1k if their liberty desire gets too high.