Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I really like the For The Barrel mechanical designs as they're really unique, there's a couple really nice pieces of fan art over on Pixiv that keep the overall aesthetic but make it just a shade more recognizable as being Gundam related through changes in color schemes and making new designs that are a bit closer to the original versions

Yeah, I like them for how atypical they are from the usual Gundam aesthetics and even from the design throughout mecha shows in generally really. The style works because it seems so mechanically focused as to lend an air of plausibility to the aesthetic (regardless of how reasonable it actually is), and as evidenced by the fanart can easily be extrapolated out to other units. I'm happy For the Barrel is getting translated, regardless of how good it actually turns out to be, because it's something I've wanted to read for years (and will probably start within a few days), as much for the character designs as the mechanical designs.

The original show has pretty good designs where everyone looks like a regular person, but I like For the Barrel's exaggerated design that stylizes based on personality. Fraw's pinup design probably doesn't suit whatever is made of her character in this, but I think Amuro's design in the manga focuses in on that "introverted loner" aspect the show has him start with, while Sleggar and a few others sell the personalities of their characters better. At least their characters as they are in 0079; no idea if they hold to that in For the Barrel yet. Plus, it has a Dapper Robo-Char, and that's always made me smile and wonder. Is he an actual robot? Cyborg? Just wearing a weirdly complex mechanical designs? I can't wait to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Yeah, I like them for how atypical they are from the usual Gundam aesthetics and even from the design throughout mecha shows in generally really. The style works because it seems so mechanically focused as to lend an air of plausibility to the aesthetic (regardless of how reasonable it actually is), and as evidenced by the fanart can easily be extrapolated out to other units. I'm happy For the Barrel is getting translated, regardless of how good it actually turns out to be, because it's something I've wanted to read for years (and will probably start within a few days), as much for the character designs as the mechanical designs.

The original show has pretty good designs where everyone looks like a regular person, but I like For the Barrel's exaggerated design that stylizes based on personality. Fraw's pinup design probably doesn't suit whatever is made of her character in this, but I think Amuro's design in the manga focuses in on that "introverted loner" aspect the show has him start with, while Sleggar and a few others sell the personalities of their characters better. At least their characters as they are in 0079; no idea if they hold to that in For the Barrel yet. Plus, it has a Dapper Robo-Char, and that's always made me smile and wonder. Is he an actual robot? Cyborg? Just wearing a weirdly complex mechanical designs? I can't wait to find out.

Well, the character designer did go on to some pretty solid success, looking up his record. He actually worked on Shin Evangelion this year. He's got a lot of credits with the Gainax crew, starting with Diebuster. Definitely can see the style's evolution, looking at his credits.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I finally got around to finishing ZZ and that ending seems a little rushed

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Gundaminfo just put up the Reconguista movies on their youtube channel. Guess I have something else to watch this weekend.

Also I’m now up through episode 5 of Zeta. This guy Jerid is the biggest dumbass ever. What kind of apology was that? You don’t insult someone immediately after apologizing dude. Kamille’s dad is awful, his mom seemed kind of bad too, no wonder he’s been a prick so far. Oh well at least this Emma girl seems nice.

This Quattro guy sure does seem to give people Char vibes, knows a lot of the same people too. I guess he must be that Johnny Ridden I’ve heard so much about.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Gundaminfo just put up the Reconguista movies on their youtube channel. Guess I have something else to watch this weekend.

Also I’m now up through episode 5 of Zeta. This guy Jerid is the biggest dumbass ever. What kind of apology was that? You don’t insult someone immediately after apologizing dude. Kamille’s dad is awful, his mom seemed kind of bad too, no wonder he’s been a prick so far. Oh well at least this Emma girl seems nice.

This Quattro guy sure does seem to give people Char vibes, knows a lot of the same people too. I guess he must be that Johnny Ridden I’ve heard so much about.

He feels more like a Led Wayline type to me.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Jerid almost had a moment of being a decent human being and sincerely apologizing to Kamille for what he did, but then he just decides to be an rear end in a top hat about it. And he has the nerve to get mad when Kamille mocks him for "just following orders".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't think he did, honestly. I think he went there with the specific intention of mocking Kamille in the guise of an apology, rather than screwing up an apology.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I mean, Jerid's really stupid.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He's also a complete turd.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jerid isn't real and he's not my friend.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jerid is a sigma male on his grind. He's focused, determined, and ready to take charge. I think a lot of you could learn a little something from him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gaius Marius posted:

Jerid is a sigma male on his grind. He's focused, determined, and ready to take charge. I think a lot of you could learn a little something from him.
I'm getting a note from a Mr. Ashta that Jerid might even be something beyond that - a ligma male.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Jerid has a severe case of mind goblin.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Also he looks like Beavis. Is there a Jerid as Beavis dub?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Gundaminfo just put up the Reconguista movies on their youtube channel

yo what

they have english subs right?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah i'm at work but i pulled up youtube to check anyways and they do. looks like just the first two movies though?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I don't think he did, honestly. I think he went there with the specific intention of mocking Kamille in the guise of an apology, rather than screwing up an apology.

I mean, Jerid is shocked and horrified by what he did, and (especially early on) he seems like he has a conscience. He's just got a lot of turd instincts, and when seeing Kamille again, he let them go full blast.

So, yeah. I think he was intending to apologize.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem like they're available everywhere. I can't see them at all, my last videos are two SD Gundam things, SEED Eclipse 2-1, then the Battlogue PV.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem like they're available everywhere. I can't see them at all, my last videos are two SD Gundam things, SEED Eclipse 2-1, then the Battlogue PV.

I think all of the videos were uploaded years ago, they just list and unlist them. They opened up Unicorn UC0096 a week or two ago and the videos were all 5+ years old according to upload date on youtube, so if you're sorting by new, you likely won't find them there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Those are the latest ones listed. The movies and expo stuff should be just below them. I can see the movies not being there, but no expo material feels odd.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think they might only be available in certain territories. At least, I saw someone mention the US and Canada in relation to where they released. I don't see them either, not looking for videos released in the last few months at least.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if it helps here's a direct link to one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEQJm5wEv1g

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Almost certainly a territory thing, movies 1/2 show as having been uploaded 14 hours ago for me (US)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i find this pretty funny. tomino is cool

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ninjewtsu posted:

if it helps here's a direct link to one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEQJm5wEv1g

Yeah, it isn't available here. Oh well, I wasn't super interested anyways.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/ElnaAshlord/status/1430486166701150214

rip pumpkin dude

Man, I really wish we'd get this whole crew in like an srw or something, it'd make for some great interactions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, it isn't available here. Oh well, I wasn't super interested anyways.

Looks like the main events were North America only, so that explains things to an extent.

They've got an interview with Obari about the upcoming mobile game tie-in anime where he mentions that Barbatauros is his favorite new design for it, so it's not like there's nothing interesting, but so far actual announcements have been a bit thin on the ground.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why am I only now hearing that Obari has been working on the Gundam Battlelogue shows? Is he still massively horny?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arc Hammer posted:

Why am I only now hearing that Obari has been working on the Gundam Battlelogue shows? Is he still massively horny?

Obari is fueled by two things: giant robots and big anime tiddies.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It's not out yet, so we don't know exactly how horny it is. The animation he did for the game is mostly just showing off the Mobile Suits, and there's not anything that goes beyond industry standard there.

There's not any bounce in the preview for the battlogue, either, for whatever that's worth, despite Obari talking about how there's more room for detail work in this than in a long form anime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/gundamcafe2010/status/1431028690603835397?s=20

wufei continues to be unsalvageable but love these looks for the other boys

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

its been a few weeks since i watched hathaways flash and i still think about that amazing scene transition from hathaways monologue to the messers flying over the water while tracer is playing

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

https://twitter.com/gundamcafe2010/status/1431028690603835397?s=20

wufei continues to be unsalvageable but love these looks for the other boys

Leads to the question of what other Gundam casts would do for Halloween.

Mikazuki's "Child soldier with a gun" costume is arguably violating the spirit of the whole thing, but it is very good at extorting candy from people. (Atra is very disappointed.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Smiles posted:

its been a few weeks since i watched hathaways flash and i still think about that amazing scene transition from hathaways monologue to the messers flying over the water while tracer is playing

That whole sequence in the middle of the film is the highlight. All that slow burn comes to a head and all hell breaks loose.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not out yet, so we don't know exactly how horny it is. The animation he did for the game is mostly just showing off the Mobile Suits, and there's not anything that goes beyond industry standard there.

There's not any bounce in the preview for the battlogue, either, for whatever that's worth, despite Obari talking about how there's more room for detail work in this than in a long form anime.

Are there any feminine robots in Battleogue? I’m remembering the animation for Mobile Doll May’s reveal here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Are there any feminine robots in Battleogue? I’m remembering the animation for Mobile Doll May’s reveal here.

Doesn't look like there's any beyond maybe cameos.

However, there is a busty master of ceremonies for the fights. (And in the game, there's the usual variety of cute high school girls common to this kind of setting, but most of them haven't shown in the trailer.)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

Leads to the question of what other Gundam casts would do for Halloween.

Mikazuki's "Child soldier with a gun" costume is arguably violating the spirit of the whole thing, but it is very good at extorting candy from people. (Atra is very disappointed.)

I imagine Atra could probably strong-arm Mika into putting on a straw hat and going as a farmer. He'd probably still extort people with a gun, though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Can't blame him, if it works it works.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Azubah posted:

Can't blame him, if it works it works.

"Hey Orga, what should I do next? Are these our treats? I won't stop until we get them. I can't stop.... Hey, how many houses should I egg? How many more until we get there? Tell me, Orga Itsuka. You'll take me there, right? What should I do next? Who should I egg next? What should I tp next? If I can get full sized Snickers bars, I'll do anything."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The real problem at the Tekkadan Halloween party is when Orga shows up in his mobster costume.