Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Disappointing Pie posted:

Emulating FF VI (3 USA lol) for SNES is so weird. I swear I played it via emulation ages ago with no issues but everything I've tried it on the last couple years besides my PC it has tons of audio crackling, I'm not sure if it's just a way more demanding game than it appears or what...

It completely brings Retro Arch to its knees when something as simple as transparencies appear on the screen. It's crazy. And of course it's my favorite game ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

It completely brings Retro Arch to its knees when something as simple as transparencies appear on the screen. It's crazy. And of course it's my favorite game ever.

Same! It's like my emulation / retro white whale... It's the game I most want to replay but I want to replay it perfectly. So for a while it was ok, do I play the SNES version as it was released, or the Ted Woolsey uncensored version, then the game hitches when I try that. Then it was, well do I play the GBA version with the sound and colors hacked back, but it still doesn't look or sound quite right played that way. So they finally announce the Pixel remasters so I'm pretty hyped for that, but it's not for Switch or consoles! And I'm not the biggest fan of playing epic rpgs on my PC.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Same! It's like my emulation / retro white whale... It's the game I most want to replay but I want to replay it perfectly. So for a while it was ok, do I play the SNES version as it was released, or the Ted Woolsey uncensored version, then the game hitches when I try that. Then it was, well do I play the GBA version with the sound and colors hacked back, but it still doesn't look or sound quite right played that way. So they finally announce the Pixel remasters so I'm pretty hyped for that, but it's not for Switch or consoles! And I'm not the biggest fan of playing epic rpgs on my PC.

I played it with snes9x on my dad's imac like 25 years ago never had any probs

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I think there is absolutely 0 chance that the Pixel Remasters won't eventually make their way to consoles, but I've been wrong about Squeenix doing the obvious thing before.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Yep it's my white whale too. It's always my test game. Currently no way to play it perfectly portably with 1:1 graphics. But I can play Super Mario RPG perfectly, which is crazy.

For Pixel Remaster of FF6 my plan is to use my Nvidia Shield Portable. There's a lot of Android devices with controllers if you are desperate.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
If I wanted to play mainly GBA, it sounds like 351P/M is the right choice for me, sound right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yes, its screen is the same resolution and aspect ratio as the GBA.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Heck yeah. Can't wait to tinker with a new device non-stop but basically never actually play it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ChiTownEddie posted:

Heck yeah. Can't wait to tinker with a new device non-stop but basically never actually play it.

Me and everything I buy.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ChiTownEddie posted:

The setup is basically half the fun of getting one of these gadgets.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Wamdoodle posted:

The setup is basically half the fun of getting one of these gadgets.

Same with my PC. Get it all built, pretty cable management, manually set voltages and timing, fans calibrated for optimum cooling.

Then use it for discord.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I have an array of retro systems with flash carts, a Switch, a PS5 and a PC and for two weeks I've been playing nothing but MTG Arena

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ChiTownEddie posted:

If I wanted to play mainly GBA, it sounds like 351P/M is the right choice for me, sound right?

My personal favorite way is the DSi XL. The 351 is good too.

njsykora posted:

Yes, its screen is the same resolution and aspect ratio as the GBA.

Unfortunately it's not the same resolution as the gba. It is the same aspect ratio though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The only thing that has the same exact resolution as the gba is the retro mini, which actually uses the oem game boy micro screen

Unfortunately it isn't powerful enough to run every gba game, and it's really weird which ones it struggles with. Driv3r, the fully 3d open world game that pushed the gba to its limits, runs great and then Mario Golf runs at 5 fps

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mario golf advance tour is kinda rough on the 351 too. i had to turn the music off because it sounds like a dying pc speaker whenever it has to render the ball flight

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah as someone who loves the GBA, the only good options are a real GBA with a flash cart, or the DSi XL (both because it uses mostly GBA hardware so there's no dropped frames, and also because the top screen is fuckin huge and IPS and a 1:1 GBA image on it looks incredible).

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I just played through the Final Fantasy 3 US rom intro with my 351V and it seems perfect so far.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m assuming you don’t mean for the first time ever.

Cause drat what a good game.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I hope you do mean exactly that, and that you drop into the thread from time to time with your thoughts as you play it for the first time

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Think they’re done already, which is why I assumed they’ve played before because it didn’t have the required hype.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It's my first time playing it in 25 years! It's oddly validating that I still really enjoy it because I was a huge FF fan as a kid but from FF VIII on the series lost me. SNES FF doesn't feel like a JRPG and I like that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s a crime how good SNES RPG stories were.

Chrono Trigger blew my mind as a kid and still gives me goosebumps. Either they don’t make stories like they used to or being an adult who works has robbed me of the ability to enjoy things as much.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rolo posted:

Either they don’t make stories like they used to or being an adult who works has robbed me of the ability to enjoy things as much.

It's a little of both IME. Even when I try to play or replay a classic JRPG these days I just don't have the patience like I did as a kid.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

SNES FF doesn't feel like a JRPG and I like that.

SNES FF is, like, the most generically JRPG of any game not named Dragon Quest, you're mad.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lester Shy posted:

It's a little of both IME. Even when I try to play or replay a classic JRPG these days I just don't have the patience like I did as a kid.

I actually have more patience for them now. I beat all the DS Dragon Quest remakes this summer

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

SNES FF is, like, the most generically JRPG of any game not named Dragon Quest, you're mad.

lol back then this is the only kind of RPG available. Perhaps what I meant was that I dislike anime to the point where I don't want to play JRPGs on hardware that can make anime graphics and that I don't care about plots involving high school or blitzball or whatever

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anime is good

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I just played through the Final Fantasy 3 US rom intro with my 351V and it seems perfect so far.

No audio stutter during the intro and beginning of Narshe at all?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
After y’all were talking about ffvi I tried it on my 351p last night, it seems to work great so far! I’m just using the stock firmware.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the best OS and setup for an RG280V? I have the stock OS yet, and back when I bought it there were rumblings of other things being ported to it, but I havent really kept up since then

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think a large part of why SNES JRPGs hold up so well is length. 20-30 hours for a good story is perfect compared to 50+ for the PSX and up.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish Earthbound was longer. It gave me troubles as a kid cause I never bothered with buffs or bottle rockets. Now I steamroll the game in like a day.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

Mario Golf runs at 5 fps

Weedle posted:

mario golf advance tour is kinda rough on the 351 too. i had to turn the music off because it sounds like a dying pc speaker whenever it has to render the ball flight

Are you using arkOS or 351elec? I just did some comparisons as I'd seen Mario Golf discussed on the discords recently and it runs/sounds far better on 351elec than it does on arkOS. It's still not flawless compared to my real copy (with a dead battery) + GBA SP, but elec is notably better than arkOS.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What OS options are there on the RG350? I was only aware of stock and Rogue.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the best OS and setup for an RG280V? I have the stock OS yet, and back when I bought it there were rumblings of other things being ported to it, but I havent really kept up since then

Rogue. Throw Retroarch on there so you have options but the updated emulators (I think Retrogamecorps has an article list) are fine for the most part.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
All this FF talk: I tried PlayStation FF VII on the 351 during the week, just because I hadn’t tried any PlayStation emulation, and an hour of my time just disappeared playing it. So much fun but for polygons look terrible.

I kind of want to go back and play the earlier FF now and build up to vii. I think the worst part of the 351 is there’s too many systems and games I want to play on it; this is despite having had a retropie setup for a couple of years and only playing it now and then. Something about it being in my hands just makes it better.

Still waiting for the big boy RGB10Max to show up but I am really getting comfortable with the 351. I am excited to try it out another handheld but I’m increasingly feeling like I will keep the 351 and gift the RGB10Max.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Since people have been asking about these I've found a bit more info from a couple more videos that detail the kinds of problems and shortcomings that aren't widely covered. Looks like the heat problem when playing N64 and Dreamcast on the new Super Console X Cube (NES Mini knockoff) model will actually shutdown the usb hub controller ports. I'm guessing other models don't have this problem because the ports are part of the motherboard instead of on a separate (probably cheap) hub, but also they might have overclocked this newest model a bit too high and not done the sort of adequate testing that a commercial product would undergo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl33wsbfkHo

Second are a bunch of other misconfigured or unconfigured settings that come up if you try to play 3 or 4 player games, which this latest model is sold as being capable of, given the 4 usb ports. These are issues you would also run into in rolling your own emuelec-based system as well, but in that case you would expect it as part of the process. Given that these are only sold with a couple controllers, it appears that they were never tested for more than 2 players. These sorts of oversights almost certainly impact all models to a similar degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-LK7h2W-3Y

The fortunate thing is that these are all issues that can be overcome by further setup or perhaps some hardware modification, so if you actually like that sort of challenge and don't want a turnkey solution, hey, go for it, just so long as you know what to expect. A lot of youtube videos, either through ignorance or shillage, sell these things as something you can just plug in and play like a proper NES/SNES/Genesis Mini and that's clearly not quite the case and you should know that going in.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

What OS options are there on the RG350? I was only aware of stock and Rogue.

you could try out Adan, it's pretty new I think and is a little rough around the edges but it does have a pretty up-to-date build of Retroarch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdIdiQ-dO_Y&t=622s

I tried it on my old 350 and it was mostly fine but the scaling options out of the box are turbofucked, so you have to adjust those on a game-to-game basis.

Works just fine though

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Willeh posted:

you could try out Adan, it's pretty new I think and is a little rough around the edges but it does have a pretty up-to-date build of Retroarch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdIdiQ-dO_Y&t=622s

I tried it on my old 350 and it was mostly fine but the scaling options out of the box are turbofucked, so you have to adjust those on a game-to-game basis.

Works just fine though

Thank you!

Emulating FF VI (3 USA lol) for SNES is so weird. I swear I played it via emulation ages ago with no issues but everything I've tried it on the last couple years besides my PC it has tons of audio crackling, I'm not sure if it's just a way more demanding game than it appears or what...

No audio stutter during the intro and beginning of Narshe at all?

So good news, I've gotten FF6 to run at full 60 FPS on the RG350. Even in the "demanding" spots like South Figaro, it runs at a steady 60 FPS!

Make sure your RG350 is using Rogue firmware, and that the CPU is set to 1080 when PocketSNES is launched (you can confirm this by pressing select on the emulator in the RG350 menu and then selecting "Edit PocketSNES". Make sure clock frequency says 1080.

Here is the version of PocketSNES that worked best (I literally tried out 12 different versions): https://github.com/m45t3r/PocketSNES/releases/download/gcw0-v2020.10.24/PocketSNES_new.opk

It's the October 24th, 2020 build. There are two OPKs on the github. One is called PocketSNES.opk and the other is PocketSNES_new.opk. Of course the github makes 0 mention of the difference between the two, but after trying both, the one that does say "new" is faster. I also have no idea what profile.zip is for and not even google could solve that one for me but apparently it isn't needed because I never downloaded it.

When you launch PocketSNES, here are the options I used:

When you try FF6, you will see you're getting zero dropped frames, and no audio stuttering!

:swoon:
(side note, I have no idea photos of this screen always look so lovely; it is completely incredible in person, especially with that 1:1 pixel output!)

Again make sure you are using my above settings, and that you are using this version of PocketSNES:

Enjoy your white whale!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

It's the October 24th, 2020 build. There are two OPKs on the github. One is called PocketSNES.opk and the other is PocketSNES_new.opk. Of course the github makes 0 mention of the difference between the two, but after trying both, the one that does not say "new" is faster.

It's mentioned on the next release down the page; the "_new" build is for the ODroid Beta firmware (which includes this new Adam build). I don't know enough of the details to know why, but the beta firmware often needs a different opk file for many apps.