Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1430217010034663424?s=21

https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1430217565985558534?s=21

https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1430217898979647489?s=21

https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1430218453093343238?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm game for new planes, especially if people mod it to flesh it out more.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I hope the next update has an easy way to flag airports for removal or fixing. I've found a number that either do not exist in real life, or they've laid out the airport entirely wrong.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are still some airports that are missing a year after launch. Jackson County Airport, a two-runway regional airport in southern Michigan, is one that I submitted a ticket about a year ago and it's still missing.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oh boy that update looks nice. Shame that my installation still gets the occasional CTD mid-flight. I think I'll do another clean install I have some time on my hands. Last time I forgot to squirrel away the community folder; maybe that causes it. Bit if a bother to jump through all these hoops in tyool 2021.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are still some airports that are missing a year after launch. Jackson County Airport, a two-runway regional airport in southern Michigan, is one that I submitted a ticket about a year ago and it's still missing.

I got a neofly assignment to land on a runway that isn't there, and landing at the actual airport 4 miles away was not an option.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Oh boy that update looks nice. Shame that my installation still gets the occasional CTD mid-flight. I think I'll do another clean install I have some time on my hands. Last time I forgot to squirrel away the community folder; maybe that causes it. Bit if a bother to jump through all these hoops in tyool 2021.

I stemmed the tide of CTDs. Except now I still can't fly anything long haul because autopilot is totally useless. I went from KMCO to KPHX and my 320 just yeeted itself out of the sky for no reason over the gulf.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I wonder what that off-screen caching feature is going to do. It sucks because I get a nice solid 40-50 FPS on the ground with the camera stationary but as soon as I move it it turns right back into a slideshow, really makes it hard to do cockpit setup

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It's been a long time since I was happy I gave Microsoft my money. Air racing sounds great, I did a few laps in a P-51 with AirGoons a couple of months ago and that was a ton of fun even if I ended up DNF twice.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Heads up:

quote:

Update: Our original article said the Ju 52 would be released for free. The module will instead cost $14.99. We’ve updated our article to reflect that.

Not the super generous free initiative that Polygon made it sound like, but that's still very reasonable pricing for payware.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Heads up:

Not the super generous free initiative that Polygon made it sound like, but that's still very reasonable pricing for payware.

Hmm. A little less exciting. Still pumped for historical planes, but I wonder why they picked the Ju-52 to start with. Doesn't seem like it has much cool factor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Randallteal posted:

Hmm. A little less exciting. Still pumped for historical planes, but I wonder why they picked the Ju-52 to start with. Doesn't seem like it has much cool factor.

The point is to highlight historical planes that are specific to a particular region (one for each world update, it sounds like). They're approaching this from a preservationist angle, with them "digitizing" these lesser-known planes before nobody knows how to maintain them and they're gone forever. They're even donating to and working with a bunch of local air museums and stuff (Neumann claimed over 40). I think Asobo will leave all the really popular historical planes to third parties/modders.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Neumann said that Microsoft Flight Simulator is contractually bound by its agreements with manufacturers like Airbus, Boeing, and Textron not to show their planes being damaged. The same will be true in the air racing module.

I still don't understand this. I kind of get it when it's Ferrari refusing to let their cars be in Need For Speed because they don't want to be seen as condoning street racing or running from the police. But I don't get how seeing a video game version of the car/plane get damaged is supposed to be bad for the company. Like people wouldn't know that Boeing jets can crash until they saw it in MSFS and now they're panic-selling their stock?

I don't care that the planes don't have damage models. I just want to know who is such a weenie that they won't allow it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Anyone interacting with brand in the game is already someone who likes planes and understands they can crash. Plus any plane with visible exterior damage is probably done for the day in the real life, unlike a car.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m miles away from aviation and licensing in exactly the way Boeing would license to MSFS, but I do deal daily with software licensing at work. The absolute insanity and minutia that goes into the slightest most inconsequential decision is wild - and if I’m not careful, it requires me to get The Lawyer from General Counsel who’s busy, doesnt actually care, and sucks to schedule. We know he doesn’t care and what his answer is 90% of the time, but we can’t take the chance we’re wrong - he’s the lawyer. Even beyond that, the decision is usually to be as safe as possible because even if the safe option is to spend $10000, it beats a later suit for 10x or more.

Maybe it’s a strong assumption but I’d bet that any of these sort of things just get bogged down in corporate meeting and require a totally uncontested group opinion - I suspect what happened is some employee, doing their best, said “what if a damaged plane reflects poorly on reality?” And instead of ever really working through that, it just became some unsolved question and they threw their hands up and the other team (MSFS) was like “sure Nevermind we won’t do damage” because it took two months past their intended date to hold the meeting because it took six weeks for Boeing to get anything approaching an answer from GC.

This is completely unsourced and probably wrong but I’ve had this thought in my head everytime someone complains about games licensing real vehicles/whatever so I had to post. An intelligent man I knew working in software licensing once said, “Software licensing exists to perpetuate the existence of software licensing.”

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sagebrush posted:

I still don't understand this. I kind of get it when it's Ferrari refusing to let their cars be in Need For Speed because they don't want to be seen as condoning street racing or running from the police. But I don't get how seeing a video game version of the car/plane get damaged is supposed to be bad for the company. Like people wouldn't know that Boeing jets can crash until they saw it in MSFS and now they're panic-selling their stock?

I don't care that the planes don't have damage models. I just want to know who is such a weenie that they won't allow it

Wasn't this also a thing with the original Gran Turismo? I feel like I read that, though I don't know if that was on anything credible. Granted, adding damage models to that many cars was probably something the devs were glad not to have to do.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So, I'm playing neofly at the moment, but it's taking forever to earn money. Currently I'm earning about £10,000 per hour of flight approx (maybe less)

Any tips to increase profit? I know we can take cargo which will help, but any other tips?

Thanks!

Also I have a bunch of cargo in my plane that I can't sell - I think it's because you need to sell it to places with demand. Any easy way for me to check where I can sell it?

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 25, 2021

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it seems pretty reasonable that boeing, airbus, et al would prefer not to have people speedrunning 9/11 on tiktok or whatever

they are wrong of course because that would own ("cool, the latest challenge mode is something called Takeoff From Tenerife? sounds neat i'll check it out"), but oh well

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
These contract requirements are pretty specifically surrounding public perception. Especially when damage models are procedural and invented whole cloth for the game. But even still if they are accurate.

Everybody knows the stories about "don't dent our pretty cars" but the quieter requirement with huge impacts previously on simulation games is that a lot of manufacturers previously required the car to never be shown rolling, or even lifting a tire off the road. Even (especially?) when it'd be accurate to the center of gravity and forces happening. Up until probably about Forza Horizon got really big and on the stronger side of negotiation, all cars in car games tended toward super sticky except for games limited to the manufacturers with lesser requirements which made the field up for the really arcades games. Which isn't a big problem if you aren't like reenacting the Mercedes CLR flight and generally goofing off, but did let you set some sketchy aero in older Gran Turismos and Forzas and ride kerbs that should be lifting you off even briefly if not destabilizingly.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

the milk machine posted:

they are wrong of course because that would own ("cool, the latest challenge mode is something called Takeoff From Tenerife? sounds neat i'll check it out"), but oh well

:chanpop:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone have a favorite airport in one of the world update areas for just taking off and exploring scenery?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

TescoBag posted:

So, I'm playing neofly at the moment, but it's taking forever to earn money. Currently I'm earning about £10,000 per hour of flight approx (maybe less)

Any tips to increase profit? I know we can take cargo which will help, but any other tips?

Thanks!

Also I have a bunch of cargo in my plane that I can't sell - I think it's because you need to sell it to places with demand. Any easy way for me to check where I can sell it?

Take out a small loan and use it to buy an extra plane. Hire a pilot for a day. Use that plane and that pilot to run long missions in the background while you either play or live life (it continues offline). They'll pull in 20-30k/flight, with minimal overhead costs to you.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I'm late to the old sim memories chat but I played Dynamix's Aces of the Pacific non-stop as a kid and I'm sad that there's really no current sims that can replace the campaign mode of it. The closest is Il-2: Great Battles but I want to shoot down Saburo Sakai in my F4U over the Pacific dammit!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Scruff McGruff posted:

I'm late to the old sim memories chat but I played Dynamix's Aces of the Pacific non-stop as a kid and I'm sad that there's really no current sims that can replace the campaign mode of it. The closest is Il-2: Great Battles but I want to shoot down Saburo Sakai in my F4U over the Pacific dammit!

God drat that game was great. I probably put hundreds and hundreds of hours in to it. I want to say you could do the entire flight (if you wanted) then come back (if you lived).

One of the greatest sims ever made... in like 1992 or something.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I haven't played it in years, but I have very fond memories of the campaign in Enemy Engaged-Comanche/Hokum.

Hell, I think I have that via GoG - I need to fire it up again.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

TescoBag posted:

Thanks!

Do VIP missions or let an AI pilot do them. Get a loan if you need to. Any plane with an autopilot will do in the beginning.

Later the Baron is really good for the money, can take a group of VIPs relatively far for the more.

Disregard the Grand Caravan, range isn't good enough for grinding. King Air is better, and after that Citations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

slidebite posted:

I haven't played it in years, but I have very fond memories of the campaign in Enemy Engaged-Comanche/Hokum.

Hell, I think I have that via GoG - I need to fire it up again.

http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

There's some good mods for it still!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Scruff McGruff posted:

IL-2:1946 still has a mod scene, and you can absolutely shoot down Sabura Sakai in an F4U in it. Or, you can try anyway. It's on both GOG and Steam for about ten bucks.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Since I am about to buy an ambidextrous trackball of some sort specifically for a flight simulator set up, by chance has anyone used one of the Kensington trackballs with the scroll wheel? I wonder if that'd be cool for turning dials etc lol :awesome:.

Example:

When in Rome: I don't think I would be playing any flight simulators, or be cursed to a lifetime of pausing every new video game to switch to inverted y-axis for that matter, if Gunship wasn't one of the first games I ever played, with this god awful (in retrospect!) joystick that makes my thumb hurt just looking at it over 30 years later:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

In MSFS2020 i’m flying somewhere in Israel, and I pass by a POI called Chatzeva. It looks like a village. Its on autopilot so I google it, and there’s nothing about “Chatzeva”. Is it because its better known in a different language? Makes me wonder how the maps translate obscure places in diff languages.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ChocNitty posted:

In MSFS2020 i’m flying somewhere in Israel, and I pass by a POI called Chatzeva. It looks like a village. Its on autopilot so I google it, and there’s nothing about “Chatzeva”. Is it because its better known in a different language? Makes me wonder how the maps translate obscure places in diff languages.

I think it's this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatzeva

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Did you Bing™ it? Flight Simulator uses Bing™.

I assume the h/ch ambiguity is a Hebrew thing, yes.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Took my just flight piper warrior out for a spin tonight. Flew into furnace creek, Death Valley at dusk. Then flew pretty well in the blind from there to Baker. Finally took a scenic route to Oxnard via Palmdale.

MSFS is real pretty. And amazingly fun to fly with just a controller. I’ll hook up my yoke one day.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So, a couple of questions.

I remember there was a bunch of goons that were playing multiplayer flights in OnAir I think it was? Was there another thread for that or was it based in this thread and it's just fizzled out?

Any good options for twin engine (preferably prop) GA planes that are particularly good? (payware etc)

I know there are a few in the main game, but I only have the standard edition and I've heard a lot of the default planes are quite buggy based on forums I've been looking through?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

TescoBag posted:

So, a couple of questions.

I remember there was a bunch of goons that were playing multiplayer flights in OnAir I think it was? Was there another thread for that or was it based in this thread and it's just fizzled out?

Any good options for twin engine (preferably prop) GA planes that are particularly good? (payware etc)

I know there are a few in the main game, but I only have the standard edition and I've heard a lot of the default planes are quite buggy based on forums I've been looking through?

I think people kinda split into different platforms. OnAir, NeoFly, Skypark and FSE. I don't think there's a single active goon fleet anywhere, like there was in the old days of FSE.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I remember it being when MSFS2020 first came out, that they setup an FBO in Colorado I think?

No worries, it's obviously not a thing now!

One more question showing how much of a newbie I am to flight sims. When different sites (wiki's etc) talk about cruise speed, maximum speed etc. Is this IAS, TAS or ground speed?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Probably indicated, since true airspeed and ground speed depends on altitude and winds and what not. I think.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TescoBag posted:

One more question showing how much of a newbie I am to flight sims. When different sites (wiki's etc) talk about cruise speed, maximum speed etc. Is this IAS, TAS or ground speed?

Airspeed limitations and the like are nearly always IAS.

The indicated airspeed is what airspeed the plane is "feeling," reflecting the atmosphere around you. Since performance values and limitations come from the aerodynamic design of the plane, IAS is what matters for those figures.

TAS is your actual speed through the air mass. This will be different from IAS if the air's density or temperature is different from standard (i.e. as will happen if you've climbed to a decent altitude). TAS is needed as an intermediate for navigation because you need to know how fast you're really going in order to make time-based calculations.

Ground speed is your speed over ground -- TAS plus the effects of wind. That's what you need to find out when you'll get to your destination. When planning a flight you will first choose an engine power setting and altitude, then look up the IAS that you'll achieve in a performance table, convert that to TAS based on the expected temperature and pressure, then find your ground speed from the forecasted winds aloft.

In airliners and other aircraft that operate around the transonic regime, cruise speed etc will usually be specified as a Mach number because that has a similar aerodynamic basis as IAS, but is more relevant at those speeds and altitudes.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 27, 2021

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

TescoBag posted:

If it's referencing a top speed or cruise speed (and isn't from a performance chart), it's true airspeed 99% of the time.

Indicated airspeed is what you'll get off performance charts and from the V-speeds or the airspeed indicator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Having a lot of fun in FS2020 after 10+ years of never touching flight sims! Mostly just been just hopping from airport to airport in the King Air.

The 12 hour initial download kind of sucked though.
Also running into a fair amount of ATC simulation bugs, especially with the automatic transmission mode on, like my character just looping taxiing requests. Pressing random ATC command buttons seems to fix it but my last flight I could only hear my character talking and not ATC for most of the flight.

Northern Norway looks very pretty, this was on my way to land at Røst (ENRS).