Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We can't even get the Leaf to Las Cruces, which is where the kid's top pick for in-state (and therefore free tuition) school is. ABRP says no route exists.

I guess that means we take a 3-4 day trip with lots of stops at RV parks.

Stupid Leaf!

e: On the other hand, the tuition savings of staying in state would be enough to buy two Model 3s, brand new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 6, 2022

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Woo, big step. Congrats and enjoy the ride!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anyone interested in the Lexus UX300e? My car sharing service has gotten a few, I'm taking one for a trip tomorrow. Let me know if you want me to check out anything in particular that you couldn't find out from a review. My expectation is that is comfy and ok for 2-300 km daytrips, maybe a bit longer if you only need one charge, otherwise just a weird compliance car you probably shouldn't own.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Rivian filed their S1 to go public. Asking for an $80b valuation. :stare:

Grats on being one of the lucky few to hit the IPO jackpot. I'm genuinely envious but also genuinely happy for you. You may want to start looking for an accountant

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 6, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

VideoGameVet posted:

A friend has a '53 Bentley he bought from a neighbor. We've talked about doing an EV conversion on it.

The car is darn right interesting mechanically. Hydraulic front brakes and cable operate rear for one.

when I was still in college and Top Gear was still relevant I made a whole plan with my buddy to get a nonworking Rolls from like the 80s/90s and turn it into an art car with an electric conversion, and then just drive it around Maine

lol but like good luck getting the air suspension to work without a compressor

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
If I knew anything about anything I'd love to do a Fiero EV

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Rivian filed their S1 to go public. Asking for an $80b valuation. :stare:

buy SA from Jeffrey

buy every goon a horse

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shai-Hulud posted:

I kind of really like the MX-30 and i wouldn't even care about the range (my Seat Mii has about the same range and its fine for 99% of my driving) but jeez that price. Im hoping they'll just dump them for cheap when they announce the next generation so i can get one for me or my wife to do the usual around town stuff.

That's really weird, you can get them in Germany for like 20k of eurobucks all day long: https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...Order=ASCENDING

I can certainly see some great use cases, my frien'ds GF is now a stay at home mom and this would be perfect for taking the kid to the kindergarten or school, visiting the grandparents etc while they use the normal car for longer trips. Still 20k is probably too steep for that.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I only have half of my RSUs so far, and by law I have to wait 6 months AFTER Rivian is IPO'ed to take advantage of any of them. So it's now a waiting game more than ever. :smith:
Don’t worry about it and think of it as a super-big bonus. Stop by the Long-Term Investing thread in BFC if you want advice on how to find a fiduciary or don’t know what to do with it.

And to bring us back to the thread… I rode my Zero today :krad:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol but like good luck getting the air suspension to work without a compressor

…Electric compressor?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MrYenko posted:

…Electric compressor?

OP's trying to compress air, not electricity!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Safety Dance posted:

OP's trying to compress air, not electricity!

I don’t have the capacitance for that joke.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mobby_6kl posted:

]

I can certainly see some great use cases, my frien'ds GF is now a stay at home mom and this would be perfect for taking the kid to the kindergarten or school, visiting the grandparents etc while they use the normal car for longer trips. Still 20k is probably too steep for that.

My local dealer has one and while I really like the interior I don't think it'd work well with children, especially children still in child seats.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't the suicide doors supposed to be convenient for getting them in/out? That's what I head but I'm very far from being able to verify this myself :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I don’t have the capacitance for that joke.

I have quite the resistance to such diodtribes :buddy:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

2022 edition Polestar 2 order placed. Scheduled for November :toot:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Anyone got any good recommendations for Schuko chargers? I might try to guilt the VW salesman into giving me one as our car was delayed about 10 weeks, but if not the VW one seems pretty decently priced. Any 3rd party ones that are good? I used to use one charging my Optima PHEV @ 12amps without the wiring breaking a sweat. That being said, safety first.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The German ADAC has tested some two years ago: While not cheap, the Juice Booster seems to be the best https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/tests/elektromobilitaet/mobile-charger/alle-testergebnisse/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

No good recs but I've just had to pony up 140 CHF for an Italian plug for the over complicated Porsche charger.

Also didn't fully realise that all Euro countries have different plugs.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
It's been 2 weeks of trying to successfully log into the Taycan so I can get routing with charging stops, internet radio and mobile app functionality. When one part of the process works another one breaks. Either it is the system breaking under too many Taycan activations or horrible software or some combination of the two. The software is the only part of the Tesla I miss so far...

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That is very annoying! What does the dealer say?

eta: I think I remember reading people having similar problems, and the issue being it's trying to authenticate you on a server in Germany and it times out. Very dumb.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

knox_harrington posted:

That is very annoying! What does the dealer say?

eta: I think I remember reading people having similar problems, and the issue being it's trying to authenticate you on a server in Germany and it times out. Very dumb.

I've been working through the issues with the dealer over text while they relay messages back and forth to techs in Germany.

Edit: apparently the old trick of posting about it made it work this morning, hooray!

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 28, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

No good recs but I've just had to pony up 140 CHF for an Italian plug for the over complicated Porsche charger.

Also didn't fully realise that all Euro countries have different plugs.

The blue and red guys accept Schuko, and I think your Swiss ones do too yeah? The Green Danish ones won't earth though.

The mix of Italian plugs comes from when they had separate meters / billing for low and high voltage.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
very on-brand for Italy

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

Ooh that's not too bad of a wait.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Lmao I saw a boomer talking about wanting a fresh battery every year for his car. So much for offsetting the increased carbon emissions.

QuarkJets posted:

gently caress yeah! Congrats!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Westy543 posted:

Lmao I saw a boomer talking about wanting a fresh battery every year for his car. So much for offsetting the increased carbon emissions.

gently caress yeah! Congrats!

Yo, I would *love* to have some idiot boomer in town buying a new Leaf battery every year, so I could replace this stupid 30kW one.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Westy543 posted:

So long as the perfectly serviceable 1 year old battery goes at a significantly reduced price straight into another EV (or any other use for a EV battery) that actually does need a replacement. If the boomers want to subsidize keeping a steady supply of totally healthy used batteries for everyone else to use, who are we to complain? Not like whoever does the swap for the idiot boomer is just going to scrap something as valuable as a nearly pristine 1 year old EV battery.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Charles posted:

The blue and red guys accept Schuko, and I think your Swiss ones do too yeah? The Green Danish ones won't earth though.

The mix of Italian plugs comes from when they had separate meters / billing for low and high voltage.

I am sure Italian homes have Type L plugs. Like the green one below.

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/l/
https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Italian1.html

Switzerland has different plugs completely (furthest right one is the single phase) and Schuko won't work anywhere.

https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Swiss1.html

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
HFCV update: currently sitting fourth in line at the one H2 pump in Sacramento that’s still operating due to an outage.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

HFCV update: currently sitting fourth in line at the one H2 pump in Sacramento that’s still operating due to an outage.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

mobby_6kl posted:

That's really weird, you can get them in Germany for like 20k of eurobucks all day long: https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...Order=ASCENDING

Jesus those were expensive! I think they are a bit overkill as well as the ID.3 "only" has 11kW onboard charging. Thanks for the link though. :)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

At least I'm not this guy I saw yesterday

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I've been thinking about renting a Tesla to see what it's like, and it looks like my only real option for the most part is Turo (AirBnB for cars, it seems). Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they reputable?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Cockmaster posted:

I've been thinking about renting a Tesla to see what it's like, and it looks like my only real option for the most part is Turo (AirBnB for cars, it seems). Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they reputable?
I've heard of enough people doing this that it seems to work when someone wants to spend a longer time with the vehicle than can be done with the average test drive from a showroom/service center. Although I've also heard some people have been able to schedule a test drive late on a Saturday with a showroom where they were allowed to keep the car until Monday when the showroom reopens.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

I hear Turo’s fine.

But also Tesla makes test driving very easy and painless, so have you tried your local dealership?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
This is assuming there is a local place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Tesla continues to target cops.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1431656135891820548?s=21