Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I can remember thinking the factory sequence looked a bit crap even when I first watched Terminator 20-odd years ago. I can forgive the jerky motions though since after all it is a robot that's just been in a massive explosion. I also like that the reason the stop-motion doesn't look so good is apparently because the SFX guys made the model out of actual solid steel and didn't realise how hard that would be to animate :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Stop motion always looks janky because by its nature it's going to be low framerate and lack motion blur, and it will be even more obvious when it's in the same scene as live action characters with regular framerate and full motion blur. But I'd have though adding motion blur and interstitial frames would be the kind of thing computer effects would be really good for, but I don't think I've heard of any modern projects doing computer enhanced stop motion as special effects.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The stop motion animation skills Laika has is pretty impressive. I watched Missing Link recently & that poo poo is :allears:.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
My best mate and I watched Aliens when we were either 9 or 10 and were absolutely obsessed with it for years afterwards.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Guys. GUYS. Shooting Aliens in Fireteam is fun and cool, I just finished the first level. It got me thinking about Aliens.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
gently caress. I'm high and I've been playing Fireteam and I kind of like it. I don't normally like super repetitive games, but the Aliens theming is just so good!

Pros:
+ The sound and music design are on point.
+ The levels look loving cool.
+ Holy poo poo, gunning down aliens with a Pulse Rifle!
+ Classes are diverse enough and have fun, customizable skills. My favorite is the Gunner's supercharge which makes all the guns in your squad go BRRRRRRRRR
+ AI team mates aren't total dogshit for offline.
+ Jesus gently caress when the game hits its stride it owns with gunfire and alien shrieking and OH gently caress HERE COMES A WARRIOR LET'S ROCK!
+ I made my guns look like Nerf guns.

Cons:
- Needs some kind of quick match. I've cleared the campaign and I just want to hop in at random.
- The hub is kind of boring. There's some neat touches (and references to the Alien RPG), but there's nothing there that you couldn't replace with a menu screen.
- It is repetitive, following cycles of go here, flip switch, go there, fight swarm.
- Main campaign just kind of... ends.
- NO loving POWER LOADER EXCEPT FOR A DECORATIVE ONE IN THE HUB

The challenge cards are neat. Get more money or more experience by changing the game up. There's also a chance for loving people's games over. Had one guy at the last second throw in a card that made it so you can't reload or switch weapons until you finish your current clip. He then immediately bailed at mission start. That game was hell. But then I got a chance to do a round where we used a challenge card that gave no rewards, but gave the whole squad double clip size/ammo capacity. I guess what I'm saying is that challenge cards are a land of contrasts.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm still catching up on this thread, because I just found it and I must read All The Things because Aliens is my joint favourite movie of all time. Just wanted to say that yesterday, in a random "hey, wonder if any of the cinemas near me show older films" Google, I discovered that in 3 weeks I'm going to be able to see both Alien and Aliens on the big screen for the first time ever just a short bus ride away in Edinburgh. I am DELIGHTED. There's nothing better, nothing at all, than seeing a movie you already know and love and have seen a million times up on a cinema screen for the first time. It's always like seeing it for the first time.

I was only 12 when it came out originally, but was given a copy of it on pirate 10th generation VHS back in the day, which made the reactor room scenes borderline unwatchable, but that didn't stop me watching it like 50 times.

I almost feel bad putting these into a third thread, but I spent ages painting them so eh, but here are some miniatures I've been working on for the interesting yet way overly complicated Aliens Another Glorious Day in the Corps board game.

"What do you mean they cut the power? They're just animals."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mutant Headcrab posted:

gently caress. I'm high and I've been playing Fireteam and I kind of like it. I don't normally like super repetitive games, but the Aliens theming is just so good!

Pros:
+ The sound and music design are on point.
+ The levels look loving cool.
+ Holy poo poo, gunning down aliens with a Pulse Rifle!
+ Classes are diverse enough and have fun, customizable skills. My favorite is the Gunner's supercharge which makes all the guns in your squad go BRRRRRRRRR
+ AI team mates aren't total dogshit for offline.
+ Jesus gently caress when the game hits its stride it owns with gunfire and alien shrieking and OH gently caress HERE COMES A WARRIOR LET'S ROCK!
+ I made my guns look like Nerf guns.

Cons:
- Needs some kind of quick match. I've cleared the campaign and I just want to hop in at random.
- The hub is kind of boring. There's some neat touches (and references to the Alien RPG), but there's nothing there that you couldn't replace with a menu screen.
- It is repetitive, following cycles of go here, flip switch, go there, fight swarm.
- Main campaign just kind of... ends.
- NO loving POWER LOADER EXCEPT FOR A DECORATIVE ONE IN THE HUB

The challenge cards are neat. Get more money or more experience by changing the game up. There's also a chance for loving people's games over. Had one guy at the last second throw in a card that made it so you can't reload or switch weapons until you finish your current clip. He then immediately bailed at mission start. That game was hell. But then I got a chance to do a round where we used a challenge card that gave no rewards, but gave the whole squad double clip size/ammo capacity. I guess what I'm saying is that challenge cards are a land of contrasts.

Whelp! Payday is tomorrow, so I guess I'll be getting it for my PS4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm still catching up on this thread, because I just found it and I must read All The Things because Aliens is my joint favourite movie of all time. Just wanted to say that yesterday, in a random "hey, wonder if any of the cinemas near me show older films" Google, I discovered that in 3 weeks I'm going to be able to see both Alien and Aliens on the big screen for the first time ever just a short bus ride away in Edinburgh. I am DELIGHTED. There's nothing better, nothing at all, than seeing a movie you already know and love and have seen a million times up on a cinema screen for the first time. It's always like seeing it for the first time.

I was only 12 when it came out originally, but was given a copy of it on pirate 10th generation VHS back in the day, which made the reactor room scenes borderline unwatchable, but that didn't stop me watching it like 50 times.

I almost feel bad putting these into a third thread, but I spent ages painting them so eh, but here are some miniatures I've been working on for the interesting yet way overly complicated Aliens Another Glorious Day in the Corps board game.

These miniatures look great! No way in hell I could do anything like that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Those minis are mega rad, awesome work!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Those minis look incredible, thank you for sharing them! I'm insanely jealous of A) the fact that you have them and B) your painting skills!

Also I know our attempts to get goons together to play AVP kinda fizzled out but for PC folks we should try and get a Fireteam game goin at some point

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Parkingtigers posted:

These fuckin' rule

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Iron Crowned posted:

Whelp! Payday is tomorrow, so I guess I'll be getting it for my PS4

Matchmaking is terribly broke on Xbox. Not sure about PS4. You can basically only play it solo at the moment.

https://twitter.com/AliensFireteamE/status/1430235367219679234?s=19

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Parkingtigers posted:

Hot dang

Unrelated: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/aliensfireteamelite/info/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

givepatajob posted:

Matchmaking is terribly broke on Xbox. Not sure about PS4. You can basically only play it solo at the moment.

I don't have a gaming PC sadly

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Thanks. But I assure you, those figures there are 90% just drybrushing, which is babby's first painting technique. I promise you that you can all paint those figures to that standard. Just wait and see how badly I screw up the marines...

I am going to finally give the Alien 3 assembly cut a try after seeing it mentioned in this thread so much. I don't think it'll make me actually like that film, but well I do want to see the "best" version of it at least.

The alternate Aliens sequel from that first Aliens comic book series ruled so hard, and there were several things about it that I feel made it work so well:

1/ the Aliens make it to Earth, which had to be the next logical step in the story. You've done slasher horror, you've done action war, now you make a disaster movie.

2/ the Alien queen having a low level psychic ability. I really like that the Aliens are basically wasp/ant hive parallels, because those critters are already terrifying and unsettling. A basic low level psychic signal from the queen does give them back that true extra-terrestrial quality.

3/ the idea that some humans would feel that (of maybe even think they are feeling it) and buy into the idea of worshipping them, being pro-Alien. Something that felt a little unlikely 30 years ago, but in the wake of QAnon/MAGA chuds and a wave of anti-vax corona disinfo the idea that humans might be pro-facehuggers is painfully "yeah, that'd happen".

For me, that first trilogy of Aliens comics, and the first AvP comic, are the canon sequels.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

So I’m gonna be moving house soon and with that will bring a new awesome TV set-up that means Mr Alleyway and I can watch movies on something bigger than his desktop screen. Exciting stuff, but I’m now trying to get my hands on some DVDs and Blu-rays for this set-up, so naturally the first 3 Alien movies will be my go-to for testing and optimising the black levels and sound settings. I used to own the Quadrilogy years ago but sold it when money got tight. I’m wondering does the Quadrilogy still hold up though? I remember the audio quality in some scenes of the Extended Cut of Alien 3 not being up to scratch, and several minutes of the Director’s Cut of Aliens having audio that was very slightly out of sync with the movie, but all the extras were :kiss:

Are the extras/audio quality of the movies any better/the same on the Blu-ray edition or should I just stick with the Quadrilogy for now?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

So I’m gonna be moving house soon and with that will bring a new awesome TV set-up that means Mr Alleyway and I can watch movies on something bigger than his desktop screen. Exciting stuff, but I’m now trying to get my hands on some DVDs and Blu-rays for this set-up, so naturally the first 3 Alien movies will be my go-to for testing and optimising the black levels and sound settings. I used to own the Quadrilogy years ago but sold it when money got tight. I’m wondering does the Quadrilogy still hold up though? I remember the audio quality in some scenes of the Extended Cut of Alien 3 not being up to scratch, and several minutes of the Director’s Cut of Aliens having audio that was very slightly out of sync with the movie, but all the extras were :kiss:

Are the extras/audio quality of the movies any better/the same on the Blu-ray edition or should I just stick with the Quadrilogy for now?

Can't speak for the Quad box, but if you're going 4k and UHD (why wouldn't you?) the standalone UHD of Alien looks amazing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Once you finish the campaign you can pick any level and run that with friends or pubbies. I got carried through the first two levels by people doing that.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Parkingtigers posted:

3/ the idea that some humans would feel that (of maybe even think they are feeling it) and buy into the idea of worshipping them, being pro-Alien. Something that felt a little unlikely 30 years ago, but in the wake of QAnon/MAGA chuds and a wave of anti-vax corona disinfo the idea that humans might be pro-facehuggers is painfully "yeah, that'd happen".

Somber Hicks: "Yeah..... yeah that's right. :("

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is that board game worth a poo poo?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

BiggerBoat posted:

Is that board game worth a poo poo?

Jury's still out on it for me. The components are fantastic, as you can see. But this game has way too much admin and fannying around for what is essentially move, shoot, and run the gently caress away. But I need to play it more before I see how it properly holds up. I'm getting my money's worth out of the models alone, PLUS if the game ends up being something I don't want to play much, I'm going to print up (or build) a map from the 1989 Leading Edge board game which 30 years later remains an absolute banger of a game and I'll uses these figures with that. Solid gold Plan B right there.

e: I really want to make it work, even if I end up rewriting half the rules, because there's a ton of really nice 3rd party terrain to pimp out the game boards. I so badly want all these little office sets and science lab jars with facehuggers etc. https://combatzone-scenery.co.uk/Games/Hanleys-Hope

e2: I'm still further back in the thread, so don't know if this has been discussed, but there's also a really good co-op/solo Alien game that just came out called Fate of the Nostromo which is getting good reviews. It's already up on Tabletop Simulator if anyone wants to give it a crack: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/332321/alien-fate-nostromo

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 27, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Parkingtigers posted:

Jury's still out on it for me. The components are fantastic, as you can see. But this game has way too much admin and fannying around for what is essentially move, shoot, and run the gently caress away. But I need to play it more before I see how it properly holds up. I'm getting my money's worth out of the models alone, PLUS if the game ends up being something I don't want to play much, I'm going to print up (or build) a map from the 1989 Leading Edge board game which 30 years later remains an absolute banger of a game and I'll uses these figures with that. Solid gold Plan B right there.

e: I really want to make it work, even if I end up rewriting half the rules, because there's a ton of really nice 3rd party terrain to pimp out the game boards. I so badly want all these little office sets and science lab jars with facehuggers etc. https://combatzone-scenery.co.uk/Games/Hanleys-Hope

e2: I'm still further back in the thread, so don't know if this has been discussed, but there's also a really good co-op/solo Alien game that just came out called Fate of the Nostromo which is getting good reviews. It's already up on Tabletop Simulator if anyone wants to give it a crack: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/332321/alien-fate-nostromo

I'm sure you know this already but just for the thread in general it's really cool to me that the Leading Edge game still has enough of a following today that there's that fan site that basically has the content from the game on it plus new character stats for many of the named character from the stuff that's come out since Aliens:

https://www.aliensrpg.com/characters

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 27, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Parkingtigers posted:

Jury's still out on it for me.

THanks.

LOL the game has Jones the cat in it looking pissed

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

So Fortnite did a thing recently to celebrate the anniversary of MLK's "I have a dream speech"

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

BiggerBoat posted:

THanks.

LOL the game has Jones the cat in it looking pissed

The deal in that game is that you're creeping around the Nostromo trying to get enough mini-objectives done that you can complete one of the final objectives which gets drawn randomly. Like, prep the shuttle, or blow the alien out of the airlock. Nobody dies, but run into the alien and the morale track drops further and get scared enough and... well, everyone dies. Creeping around the rooms means running into face down "something might be here" markers, many of which are that drat cat doing a jump scare at whoever ran into him and dropping the morale down.

Yes, Jonesy is technically the true villain in that game.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Parkingtigers posted:

I really like the lighting effects and the cp/m screens. nice work on the keyboards, too

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
It’s Friday night. I have 2000 calories of unhealthy food in front of me and I’m pressing play on the Alien 3 assembly cut. Let’s do this thing.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Parkingtigers posted:

It’s Friday night. I have 2000 calories of unhealthy food in front of me and I’m pressing play on the Alien 3 assembly cut. Let’s do this thing.

You’re gonna have a good fuckin time!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

I’m trying to decide if I want it on PC or Xbox One.

dude, I am a week behind. If you have $whatever a Xbox One cost or you have $1000, I would say spend it on the PC.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

dude, I am a week behind. If you have $whatever a Xbox One cost or you have $1000, I would say spend it on the PC.

I ended up getting it for PC, steam ID is Xenomrph.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

I ended up getting it for PC, steam ID is Xenomrph.

Awesome. I am broke and using an old computer. gonna send you a friend request.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
apparently I cant without a request.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

apparently I cant without a request.

What do you mean?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007