Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That's when they're really good

You are mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

I unboxed my Kickr Snap and it's a giant brick attached to some tubing, I guess Wahoo doesn't gently caress around.

I'm going to see if I can't just do the zwifting stuff with an iphone on a handlebar mount, does it wear down the rear wheel as much as they claim or is it no worse than riding?

I think you can do zwift with a later model iphone, and also iPads. I did Rouvy for awhile, because it was cheap and worked in my Android phone and they had a good selection of virtual rides. That was before their update, though. They went to a monthly price model that frankly isn't worth it to me.

As far as wearing down the rear wheel, it seems to be less than actual riding. I had an older Continental GP tire that I used for training, and it lasted a couple thousand miles before I needed to change it.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Nothing sucks worse than a massive climb where your core temp is up, your clothing is soaked in sweat, and then you rip down a long descent with no pedaling. Maybe I’m a baby but I’m absolutely freezing and it’s definitely not great to be so distracted by your ice cold hands when you’re doing 50mph+

Yeah, I start shaking like crazy and wobble, and your hands are so frozen you can barely move the levers to brake.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

poemdexter posted:

So how do people ride in winter time? I'm in Texas by the way. I looked at winter of last year and it looks like temps between 40F and 60F should be expected. All I have right now are my bike shorts and short sleeve jerseys which is fine because it's still like 99F outside, but I'd rather be slightly prepared for when the weather flips suddenly as it's prone to do here.

I live in Houston, and last winter when it was cold out (30s-50s) I would just wear a fleece over a dri fit/cycling shirt.

There is cycling specific winter clothing out there, but for me, a novice cyclist in Texas - it worked really well.

Mid 50s and above you can just wear your bib and jersey and it's wonderful.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Arm warmers, knee and/or leg warmers, and a wind vest are good additions to your cycling clothes, as well as some light gloves. They're not too expensive and make riding in slightly cooler weather a lot more comfortable.

For really cold weather you can go down a bit of a rabbit hole of overpriced winter cycling gear like bib tights and winter shoes and $250 jackets but regular tights over your shorts and a slim fitting softshell jacket of some sort work pretty well too. I used a salomon jacket meant for XC skiing for awhile and I think it was on sale at rei for like $45. Now I have a couple of pretty fancy "cycling" jackets and they're not that much different/better. Good gloves are worth it, and you need warmer ones than you would wear just going outside walking around or hiking or whatever. I'm thinking about battery powered ones and am probably going to order carbon brake levers for my mtb so my index fingers stay warmer. The other option is bar mitts/pogies but I have a couple bikes I ride and no actual winter fat bike so I'm not quite convinced I need those.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Had my bike fitted yesterday and he adjusted a whole bunch of things, told me i was pedaling incorrectly and that i looked like i was browsing the phone while pooped when i pedaled.

So a new seat, a shorted bike steam, my clips adjusted and some coaching later everything felt a whole lot nicer.

10/10 would recommend.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

i looked like i was browsing the phone while pooped when i pedaled.

Mid-strain or relaxed browsing between movements?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ElMaligno posted:

Had my bike fitted yesterday and he adjusted a whole bunch of things, told me i was pedaling incorrectly and that i looked like i was browsing the phone while pooped when i pedaled.

So a new seat, a shorted bike steam, my clips adjusted and some coaching later everything felt a whole lot nicer.

10/10 would recommend.

So some mechanics adjustments, change of reach, but no change in seat height?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ola posted:

Mid-strain or relaxed browsing between movements?

I was hunching over instead of straightening my back. This was putting unnecessary strain on my shoulders AND neck.

kimbo305 posted:

So some mechanics adjustments, change of reach, but no change in seat height?

Yeah, like an inch taller

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Short sleeve jerseys and bike shorts are good to 32 F (0 C) .

Back when SoCal used to have an actual bike racing scene, the season opening weekend in February had the Boulevard Road Race. It pretty much started at the top of a 5 mile descent. The weather usually ran on the cool to cold side this time of year. But in 2007, we started off in an actually snow storm. And there were some people starting in just bibs and short sleeve jerseys. One guy who was next to me waiting for line up, I just told him not to bother starting. And he actually listed and packed it in. The first lap on the downhill, several guys had to stop just a mile in and just rode back to the start.

So, it was cold and snowing at the start, just above freezing, but by the end of our race the sky had cleared but the temp had dropped even lower. On the last lap, I was cold on the uphill push to the finish despite wearing neoprene booties, thick full finger gloves, wool cap, thermal tights, a long sleeve jersey and a longsleeve wool undershirt. Several dozen people had to be rescued at the side of the road with hypothermia. And the next year, officials wouldn't let you start if you were dressed as a dumbass.

No, short sleeve and short bibs are not good to 32.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I have been hearing good things about ESI silicone handlebar grips

Thinking about ordering a lighter coloured set but are they going to get really dirty and sticky like rubber bike grips?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Who amongst us has not found themselves in a public bathroom with their hands under the hot tap/drier trying not to cry?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Hi thread, I have a bit of a newbie question. On my bike, I have a 6800 RD with an 11-28 Ultegra cassette. I'm planning to order a smart trainer (wahoo kickr core) and will need to order a cassette to go along with it. The 11-28 one that's on my bike is fairly new, but I've been considering an 11-30 one for when I need a new one. Now that I'll be buying a second cassette anyway, I figured I might as well get the 11-30 and put my current 11-28 on the kickr. That is, if the new one plays nice with my RD. I'm fairly certain I have a short cage RD, but I'm not entirely sure how to check. Also, I'm not sure if the 11-30 cassette will even work with my RD if is indeed a short cage derailleur. Could you guys help me figure these two things out? (Apologies, this is probably a question you've all had a thousand times before. What I've found on Google so far isn't very conclusive)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
can you post a pic of it? it’ll be easy to tell if you’ve got a short cage or not

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Nothing sucks worse than a massive climb where your core temp is up, your clothing is soaked in sweat, and then you rip down a long descent with no pedaling. Maybe I’m a baby but I’m absolutely freezing and it’s definitely not great to be so distracted by your ice cold hands when you’re doing 50mph+

The first time I climbed a mountain I got to the top soaked in sweat and the people I was with got out those little packaway gilets and had a very good time on the way down. I did not.

Lex Neville posted:

Hi thread, I have a bit of a newbie question. On my bike, I have a 6800 RD with an 11-28 Ultegra cassette. I'm planning to order a smart trainer (wahoo kickr core) and will need to order a cassette to go along with it. The 11-28 one that's on my bike is fairly new, but I've been considering an 11-30 one for when I need a new one. Now that I'll be buying a second cassette anyway, I figured I might as well get the 11-30 and put my current 11-28 on the kickr. That is, if the new one plays nice with my RD. I'm fairly certain I have a short cage RD, but I'm not entirely sure how to check. Also, I'm not sure if the 11-30 cassette will even work with my RD if is indeed a short cage derailleur. Could you guys help me figure these two things out? (Apologies, this is probably a question you've all had a thousand times before. What I've found on Google so far isn't very conclusive)

Take a photo of the RD and post it, we'll be able to tell you.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Thank you guys :) I hope the quality's alright (the lighting in my cramped storage space is poor and it's a struggle to move the bike out, what with the crutches and the knee injury and all, so I'm hoping I won't have to)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A 6800 SS should work with an 11-30 just fine even if it’s technically out of spec (28t max). My buddy runs it.

What’s your crank?

E: that’s a short cage

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 27, 2021

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Thanks! And an 11-30 just goes straight on? I've read that the shifting might be "sluggish". Also, would I need to do anything about the length of my chain?

Crank's a 52-36

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Thanks for all the kind words and compliments on my Day 1 tour post, y'all :)

I'm home now and am still mentally digesting everything, so I'm going to try not to poo poo up the thread with personal diary stuff, but this experience was loving incredible and easily the coolest thing I've ever done in my life.

Here's the full route, spliced together over 6 days total for 490mi and I think 23k elevation or something.

The Californian coast thru Big Sur is breathtakingly beautiful, and even though I've driven the route multiple times, getting to traverse it on a bike really just immerses you in the landscape to a degree that car travel simply cannot.

https://i.imgur.com/3rUEKOu.mp4

I had worked up quite a sweat on our morning climb during day 3, and decided to ditch my warming layer at the top before we plunged down a massive, fog soaked descent somewhere in Big Sur on the other side. A brisk wind waited for us in the twists and turns, and I tensed on the bars as the chill cut through me - until I heard my inner monologue voice opposition with words that cut even deeper.

"Discomfort is part of being alive, you bitch. Embrace it."

And so I did. I drew the biggest breath of frigid coastal air down into my chest that I could manage, and I felt invigorated in a way that prose even now can't quite convey.

Pretty happy with my setup overall, although I definitely want to find a way to make breaking down and packing up in the morning a little more expedient. Props to the impossibly lovely Amazon special elastic bottle cage straps I'm using on the side of the bike here, which was the best way I found to mount water there with a frame bag and which somehow didn't drop a bottle until the last 20mi home yesterday.

Eventually ascending to its final form as the necromancy bike while I collected more and more native bird feathers to jam onto it.

We lucked out and managed to grab Hike / Bike spots at pretty much every state campground we stopped at, although some of them confusingly were essentially just enormous RV parks which was slightly jarring after being in the wilderness for a few days. Moro Bay State Park was probably the highlight here for the view alone.

Uh oh fashion patrol, certified crushers only. gravel.jpg :biglips:

A friendly cholo tried to buy us pizza outside of a 7-11 yesterday, I think because he thought we were homeless? and that feels like a personal milestone of some fashion.

In short: bikes are good, being an absolutely disgusting dirtbag filth elemental on a bike is good, and living on a bike with your best friend for a week through incredible wilderness is also good.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Objurium posted:

A friendly cholo tried to buy us pizza outside of a 7-11 yesterday, I think because he thought we were homeless?

Lol.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

This is why winter MTB owns, you're working on the downhill too.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

Lex Neville posted:

Thanks! And an 11-30 just goes straight on? I've read that the shifting might be "sluggish". Also, would I need to do anything about the length of my chain?

Crank's a 52-36

I have literally just set up my new core with a 11-32 on the bike 11-30 on the core, ultegra short (edit - sorry no mines a medium) cage, and it's fine.

Crank also a 52-36.

Wierdest part for me is that my rear hub is 135mm apparently, 2019 cannondale supersix says it should be 130, but I measured it with calipers.

Sticky Date fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 27, 2021

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Objurium posted:

Amazing trip stuff

That trail right on the coast... wow. Quality content 11/10!

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Lex Neville posted:

One thing you might have to keep in check is your b-screw adjustment when you move between different sized cassettes. I go back and forth between 25t, 28t, and 32t a bit and it's noticeable when I forget to adjust that on one of the extremes. 28 to 30 might be small enough that you won't even notice, but it's worth having in the back of your head.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Crumps Brother posted:

One thing you might have to keep in check is your b-screw adjustment when you move between different sized cassettes. I go back and forth between 25t, 28t, and 32t a bit and it's noticeable when I forget to adjust that on one of the extremes. 28 to 30 might be small enough that you won't even notice, but it's worth having in the back of your head.

I expect he'd most likely have to adjust it to get the 30 working properly, but it should work okay with the 28 after that so that you wont have to mess around each time.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Got myself some new shoes and spd sl pedals today after riding on spds and mtb shoes at least a size too big for the better part of the year.

The pedals feel super tight, which is what I wanted, I guess, but I dread that I’m gonna fall over at red lights a couple times before I’m used to it.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Just get in the habit of unclipping a few seconds earlier.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I hear you post pics of rides here

(110 km in total, 5:44 hours)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

poemdexter posted:

All I have right now are my bike shorts and short sleeve jerseys which is fine because it's still like 99F outside,

You might actually want long sleeves / tights just for sun protection in summer tbh.

For winter depends on how cold it is snd how much water / snow.

Insulated gloves -> thick bar mitts attached to the bars.

Thermal jersey -> thermal layer & waterproof cycle jacket -> thermals & an actual warm coat.

Bib Tights -> Insulated bib tights -> Insulated bib tights under waterproof trousers.

Overshoes -> Insulated overshoes -> Insulated Boots and flats. Plastic bags under socks can help apparently.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Zwille posted:

Nett!

Serendipitaet fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 28, 2021

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

jamal posted:

Now I have a couple of pretty fancy "cycling" jackets and they're not that much different/better.

It’s hard to compare the UK’s wet, not that cold, winter climate to a dry-ish US one, but I agree 100%.

Thin softshell jackets of the type that don’t try to be fully waterproof, but are breathable and wicking are great. Ones intended for hiking / climbing are cheaper, better quality and have more sane sizing compared to the “cycling fit” of most road cycling brands intended for Italian twinks, where XXXL is a 42” chest.

I have a Montane one that has very thin grid fleece insulation inside designed to be worn next to the skin, and it works great for winters here, only issue is no rear pockets.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zwille posted:

Wanna hit that Bowlinghaus

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
I bought my first non-Kmart bike. I'm waiting for my helmet to arrive, have only ridden it around the block at the bike kitchen so far.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
First real test of the Giant Escape is done.

All this week, I've done 5 - 10 miles runs, with the 5-mile ones mostly in my absurdly hilly part of town, and the 10 mile ones on proper (and mostly level) bike paths.

This morning, I planned on doing a 20+ mile ride and really seeing how it works. But, my wife wanted to ride with me, and that's rare these days thanks to her RA, so we did a 19 mile ride, but at a pretty slow pace. I was happy to ride with my favorite riding buddy, but the last few miles were hard for her, so while she recouped at home, I went on an additional 18 mile ride. It was along a levee bike path along the Mississippi River, one of my favorite scenic rides (if you like rivers, you get it), and I went as hard as I could after doing 19 miles as a warm up.

I really like this bike. I'm in a much better position compared to the Giant Cypress, at least how it goes to producing some power and getting down without having my elbows way out. Yeah, it's no road bike, but it also didn't cost $1K, and the selection of gears was more than adequate. I had a little neck strain from the new position, but not as bad as it'd be with a proper road bike. And, I can carry some cargo on this, so it's also good for doing errands around town.

Are there better bikes? Sure. This one seems to be a good all-arounder, especially since I intend to use it for exercise and occasional local errands.

Thirty-six miles is a daily record for me. This is one positive thing I've gotten out of COVID-19. If the pandemic hadn't happened, I'd have never had trouble getting into the gym, and I'd have never had a reason to buy a bike, and I'd have never realized that there was this much fun to have on one--especially in my county, which weirdly has taken the time to pave and maintain many miles of dedicated* bike paths.

* Joggers and walkers also use these paths, but... whatever. The only weird thing is that when you shout "BIKE ON YOUR LEFT" before passing them, the joggers either don't react because they have earbuds in, or they actually move to the left, even though that's where you want to go to pass them.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Get a bell if you’ll be on the multi-use path (MUP). A bell can be heard from far enough away that confused pedestrians have time to turn around, see you, and move to their right. Most pedestrians will know it means “bike” and just move over.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Headphones + people who ignored teacher when they were taught age 6 that the Highway Code states that pedestrians walk facing the oncoming traffic, and that those same rules apply to any path horses (and by default bikes) are on.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

If I'm lost in my own thoughts and suddenly hear the word "left" shouted from behind me, I sort of unconsciously move left before I realise what I actually heard. I find bells more helpful, both on and off the bike.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dren posted:

Get a bell if you’ll be on the multi-use path (MUP). A bell can be heard from far enough away that confused pedestrians have time to turn around, see you, and move to their right. Most pedestrians will know it means “bike” and just move over.

lol

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Get a bear bell, they'll think Santa is coming and turn around to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s not the walker not paying attention to bike you got to worry about, it’s their small dog they are also not paying attention to who is about to come out the undergrowth in front of you you have to watch for.