Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Alright, I gave it a fair crack. Last time I saw Alien 3 was at least two decades ago. At least. The assembly cut is better than the theatrical cut, but better doesn't mean good.

There are moments I liked in the middle act, which if they weren't tied to the earlier good films might have carried more weight. But the whole ending of the movie is a very tiresome and overlong chase scene where a shoddily composited alien puppet kills too many characters (none of whom I know or care about) one by one. See, that worked in Alien because there were only 7 of them in total. Kane died first, Ash goes rogue, so it's just about the remaining 5 and I've gotten to know and give a drat about all of them. When there's a dozen of them left, after already having seen a dozen die, and I only really like (kinda) a couple of them, it's just a whole lot of nameless almost identical nobodies getting eaten up one by one.

The real crimes are in the opening act though. It's still impossible to get over the fact they killed off Hicks and Newt in the opening 6 minutes. For Ripley, the last time she woke up she was locked in a room with Newt and two facehuggers on LV-426. For her, that was yesterday. Today she wakes up and they're all dead. The next day (and I'm being generous in assuming it was actually the next day) she's all "eh, I'm over it" and decides to gently caress Charles Dance. That's a *wild* three days of character un-development for Ripley. Now Charles Dance is a great actor, but he's playing a very emotionally restrained dude here and it's just so baffling that she's horny for him (or anyone) at that point.

The attempted rape scene should not exist at all, and while the execution of it makes it worse, it being in the film at all is just creepy AF but not in a narrative way. Somehow it's made worse because they had Ripley jump Charles Dance's bones the day after(?) burying Hicks and Newt. Far too many scenes involve convicts talking about how they do want to have sex with her, how they don't want to have sex with her, how others shouldn't be tempted to have sex with her, one actually having sex with her, a group trying to rape her, and suddenly her being the only woman on a planet of men gets so much worse than just failing the Bechdel Test. It's almost good that there's an alien monster there so they have *anything* else to talk about than Ripley's perceived fuckability.

I don't even hate the film, it's more bland than bad for the most part *on its own merits*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think I did it?

My friend code is 17618088

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

I think I did it?

My friend code is 17618088

Now we are friends on steam.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alien 3? Never heard of it. Anything to do with actual Good Movie, Aliens (the movie)?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Biplane posted:

Alien 3? Never heard of it. Anything to do with actual Good Movie, Aliens (the movie)?

Sadly, they never made any sequels to Aliens, the Best Movie Of All time, which is odd considering how good and popular it was.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Parkingtigers posted:

Sadly, they never made any sequels to Aliens, the Best Movie Of All time, which is odd considering how good and popular it was.

it was a sequel to Alien. Not Aliens

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Biplane posted:

Alien 3 Assembly Cut was loving awesome.

Parkingtigers posted:

There are moments I liked in the middle act, which if they weren't tied to the earlier good films might have carried more weight. But the whole ending of the movie is a very tiresome and overlong chase scene where a shoddily composited alien puppet kills too many characters (none of whom I know or care about) one by one. See, that worked in Alien because there were only 7 of them in total. Kane died first, Ash goes rogue, so it's just about the remaining 5 and I've gotten to know and give a drat about all of them. When there's a dozen of them left, after already having seen a dozen die, and I only really like (kinda) a couple of them, it's just a whole lot of nameless almost identical nobodies getting eaten up one by one.

The real crimes are in the opening act though. It's still impossible to get over the fact they killed off Hicks and Newt in the opening 6 minutes. For Ripley, the last time she woke up she was locked in a room with Newt and two facehuggers on LV-426. For her, that was yesterday. Today she wakes up and they're all dead. The next day (and I'm being generous in assuming it was actually the next day) she's all "eh, I'm over it" and decides to gently caress Charles Dance. That's a *wild* three days of character un-development for Ripley. Now Charles Dance is a great actor, but he's playing a very emotionally restrained dude here and it's just so baffling that she's horny for him (or anyone) at that point.

The attempted rape scene should not exist at all, and while the execution of it makes it worse, it being in the film at all is just creepy AF but not in a narrative way. Somehow it's made worse because they had Ripley jump Charles Dance's bones the day after(?) burying Hicks and Newt. Far too many scenes involve convicts talking about how they do want to have sex with her, how they don't want to have sex with her, how others shouldn't be tempted to have sex with her, one actually having sex with her, a group trying to rape her, and suddenly her being the only woman on a planet of men gets so much worse than just failing the Bechdel Test. It's almost good that there's an alien monster there so they have *anything* else to talk about than Ripley's perceived fuckability.

I don't even hate the film, it's more bland than bad for the most part *on its own merits*.

Even as an unbashed Alien 3 Assembly Cut lover I agree that all of these are some real issues with the flick. And I know Fincher wanted to make a movie where you felt no one was safe at any time but I think this worked against the story a bit. To me what really hurts it is that they do set up this conflict/tension between Ripley, Clemens (Dance's Dr. character) and Andrews (Glover's warden character). Then just when that would start to get interesting the alien kills both of them one after the other when they were the biggest presence on that planet besides Charles S. Dutton. Like killing Newt and Hicks is rough but then you have two of the three characters that get anything at all get killed off so soon in the same scene and besides Dutton no one's really there to fill in the void.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's a reason they say Alien 3 is one of the most needlessly nihilistic movies ever made.

David Fincher was 28-30 when he was called in to clean up Alien 3 as his debut feature, and given that this was the late 80s/early 90s it's completely in keeping with the times that he'd be an edgelord Gen Xer about his first film and all the "tired clichés" to the point of joylessness.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What happens if a facehugger hugs a xenomorph? Some scientist at WY must have tried it at least once.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

How do facehuggers even do dogs/cows, don't they need to create some kind of seal

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

they just need to get the tube down the gullet

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There's a new street drug out in the colonies, kids are carbonating WY atmospheric processor fluid with incinerator fuel and calling it Hadley Hops.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a new street drug out in the colonies, kids are carbonating WY atmospheric processor fluid with incinerator fuel and calling it Hadley Hops.

Totally in Spanish

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Where is the Alien "hiding in plain sight" when it kills Brett?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

$50? I can't afford that. I mean i can, but I don't want to

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

Where is the Alien "hiding in plain sight" when it kills Brett?

In one of the shots in the movie when Brett is standing under the “rain” cooling off, the Alien is in plain sight in the chains above him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

In one of the shots in the movie when Brett is standing under the “rain” cooling off, the Alien is in plain sight in the chains above him.

Yeah it's a great shot they added to to the director's cut version, you see it much more clearly briefly but it drifts into the shadows on the right, so good:

If you've never seen any of the movies before you can definitely mistake it for a chunk of machinery or something imo

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 28, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Been thinking about Aliens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO2W96NCiRc

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

why did they cover him in cheesecloth then just cut it open?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

why did they cover him in cheesecloth then just cut it open?

I think it was a general abstraction of folks' wild claims about how when they were abducted by aliens. IIRC a common thing is being paralyzed/otherwise stuck to the operating table and seeing a white light and stuff but not via typical restraints and they were trying to work all of these different claims into one scene.

The Day Time Ended (1980) reminds me of that also, that movie's bad but also kind of interesting because the small drone kind of ships and triangle imagery and stuff is like directly out of how people describe their abducted by aliens/UFO sighting experiences.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Fire in the Sky doesn’t really make any sense despite its pretensions to be based on a true story, but as far as alien abductions scenes go it’s pretty much the best one I can think of. Pure inexplicable craziness at the mercy of a hyperintelligence

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
From the Youtube Thumbnails thread.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

I think it was a general abstraction of folks' wild claims about how when they were abducted by aliens. IIRC a common thing is being paralyzed/otherwise stuck to the operating table and seeing a white light and stuff but not via typical restraints and they were trying to work all of these different claims into one scene.

The Day Time Ended (1980) reminds me of that also, that movie's bad but also kind of interesting because the small drone kind of ships and triangle imagery and stuff is like directly out of how people describe their abducted by aliens/UFO sighting experiences.

doesn't look good when you use cheesecloth and grape jelly to make your friend think you got abducted by aliens

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

skasion posted:

Fire in the Sky doesn’t really make any sense despite its pretensions to be based on a true story, but as far as alien abductions scenes go it’s pretty much the best one I can think of. Pure inexplicable craziness at the mercy of a hyperintelligence

The funny part is the movie made it all up. Walton's actual account of the abduction was fairly bland. Like, they sedate him and he's blacked out for most of the abduction.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

doesn't look good when you use cheesecloth and grape jelly to make your friend think you got abducted by aliens

You should see if you can find some of the accounts where people say that they had the alien tech tracking chip implanted into the their hand (the red spot on the and in the X-Files intro) and how it really happened and is how the aliens still try to talk to them, but it was painful so they had a doctor remove it a few years ago no big otherwise they'd totally be able to prove it to you.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

You should see if you can find some of the accounts where people say that they had the alien tech tracking chip implanted into the their hand (the red spot on the and in the X-Files intro) and how it really happened and is how the aliens still try to talk to them, but it was painful so they had a doctor remove it a few years ago no big otherwise they'd totally be able to prove it to you.

The funny part is I have. Its in my, what do you call that place between your balls and rear end in a top hat

Nevermind. Lets just talk about the Alien movie again

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I used to ride a shuttle bus between campuses where I went to college, about a 40 minute ride. One day for whatever reason, instead of the regular shuttle they had a coach bus, the ones with TVs inside. I guess the driver decided to put on a movie and it was Fire In The Sky and the autopsy scene came on when we were driving, lol. A whole bunch of students being like, WTF IS THIS WHAT IS GOING ON. A funny memory.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

zenguitarman posted:

I used to ride a shuttle bus between campuses where I went to college, about a 40 minute ride. One day for whatever reason, instead of the regular shuttle they had a coach bus, the ones with TVs inside. I guess the driver decided to put on a movie and it was Fire In The Sky and the autopsy scene came on when we were driving, lol. A whole bunch of students being like, WTF IS THIS WHAT IS GOING ON. A funny memory.

lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

zenguitarman posted:

Look, you don't know what aliens will do! They might use cheesecloth and grape jelly

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpX0YWP7LRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0tLZbhlzcs

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
From the Star Wars pictures thread:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

star wars is awesome and almost as cool as alien. Thanks for sharing

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Thinking about Aliens (the movie): cheesecloth, and grape jelly

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
A). I really suck at Fire Team
B). I seem to forget about blinking when playing Fire Team.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Thinking About Aliens (the movie) getting their asses kicked by Darth Vader

Now I wanna see what kind of force sensitive nightmare results from Anakin getting 'hugged.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sentinel Red posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Thinking About Aliens (the movie) getting their asses kicked by Darth Vader

Now I wanna see what kind of force sensitive nightmare results from Anakin getting 'hugged.

I like mind the walurs' better

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I like mind the walurs' better

It's not Aliens related though. :colbert:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

It's not Aliens related though. :colbert:

yeah it is. three post above yours

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

skasion posted:

Someone pointed out that alien abductees always follow whatever is in the mythos at the time.
Most 50s ones were all with flying saucers, aliens in silver space suits.
60s, were all bright lights and weird rear end poo poo.
70s were all anal probing and weird rear end poo poo.
80s were all about how they were all rainbow children and greys because Timothy Good
Then with digital cameras it all died as there was no more crazies making up poo poo after seeing lense artifacts on their own cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Then with digital cameras it all died as there was no more crazies making up poo poo after seeing lense artifacts on their own cameras.
I mean they're still around and still dumb af, there's just no money in the so-called mainstream from milking them like there was in the 90s.