Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Totally subjective, but who are some of the straight-up shittest and irredeemable wrestlers to make it onto TV? By that I mean:

• Can't really wrestle or work
  • Can't talk or cut a promo
  • No presence or charisma
  • Not particularly physically imposing
  • No unique look or gimmick

Bam Neely, Braden Walker and the Gymini (kind of roided out, I guess) come to mind. That said, I support they could all complete a match and wrestle somewhat so there are probably some better choices (especially in WCW and TNA).

Triple H

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rodney from the mean street posse and that nude guy who jacked off sandman's pole. i'm not being intentionally crass

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
joe burrow

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Which of these would be worst?

- Ric Flair in the NWO
- Hulk Hogan in the Four Horsemen
- Bret Hart in De-generation X
- Shawn Michaels in The Hart Foundation

-Flair can make almost anything work.
-Hogan needs to be the leader in whatever group he's in, flat out. He would never agree otherwise. I don't think the other Horsemen would ever agree to this, politically.
-Bret wouldn't be a fit for them at all, unless it was a better version of Cena being stuck in whatever that group of NXT people was. Before The Corre (Christ)
-See Hogan with the Horsemen.

I'm guessing Hogan. There's just no way any of it works out to be a good angle unless you somehow remove Hogan's politicking.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Remembering the Corre but not the famous CM Punk stable the Nexus :smith:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ganso Bomb posted:

Bret in DX would be really weird and I can't even begin to imagine how he'd try to force DX-style promos. Babyface HBK in the Hart Foundation probably makes the most sense out of all of them, barring Montreal and all of the fallout of that. He's got Heart right in his nickname!

Did they ever lean into the heartbreak kid thing in his feud with Bret? How they resisted at least a graphic saying “The Hartbreak Kid” is showing more restraint than I thought they’d be capable of.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Watching DDT I'm left with a question

Would you rather be body slammed on to a pile of Lego or be smashed over the back with a light tube?

I pick the light tube

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I’d go with lego but I’ve got a visceral fear of being cut/stabbed/that sort of thing

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

forkboy84 posted:

Would you rather be body slammed on to a pile of Lego or be smashed over the back with a light tube?

I pick the light tube

the lego 100% getting slammed on a lego would only hurt if it was just a few of them, legos are really hard but have tiny surface area. with lots of legos the surface area is fixed, same force, it'd be fine. don't wanna suck in glass dust to my lungs

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I pick the light tube

Is it one of the ones Jericho got with all the gross dust taken out?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Legos hands down. I've seen all the clips of light tubes gone wrong, and I've also worked with people who have accidentally cut themselves bad dealing with bulbs.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Which of these would be worst?

- Ric Flair in the NWO
- Hulk Hogan in the Four Horsemen
- Bret Hart in De-generation X
- Shawn Michaels in The Hart Foundation

The nwo had the weakest identity of the groups so while a Flair-led nwo would look different than the one we remember, it would still be a functional group that you could coherently book since the nwo changing in character isn’t that big of a deal.

Hogan wouldn’t work because any group he’s a part of turns into Hogan’s group and while a Hogan and 3 bad rear end buddies watching his back might work as a group, it wouldn’t be the Horsemen.

I don’t know what Bret would actually do in DX and he’d probably be bad at it, but assuming you could convince him to do it in the first place, he’d probably at least give it an honest try on screen even if he’d be grumbling about it behind the scenes.

The Hart Foundation is the hardest to incorporate any outsider - not just Michaels - into because of the real family aspect of the group. You’d have to do a short term angle with something like Michaels dating a Hart sister and reluctantly joining just to overcome the huge amount of suspension of disbelief required just to get him into the group in the first place.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

karmicknight posted:

Remembering the Corre but not the famous CM Punk stable the Nexus :smith:

The Corre is a really bad name. Also the 40 man Wrestlemania was bad.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

The Hart Foundation is the hardest to incorporate any outsider - not just Michaels - into because of the real family aspect of the group. You’d have to do a short term angle with something like Michaels dating a Hart sister and reluctantly joining just to overcome the huge amount of suspension of disbelief required just to get him into the group in the first place.

Eh, it's wrestling, they handwave stuff like that all of the time. The original lineup had Jimmy Hart who just happened to share a last name with Bret. They'd say "Bret and Shawn have more history than most brothers do!" and then two months later the whole group would turn on Shawn and it would be "well you know what they say, blood is thicker than water!" and it would all set up another big Bret vs. Shawn feud.

Bret in DX probably would have been hilarious because you'd have him being the corny dad of the group while all of the other members make fun of him. I actually kinda wish that had happened now.

Ric Flair in the nWo would have been a lot like Ric Flair in Evolution, I'm thinking. Flair could have been the hype man for pretty much any wrestling group ever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Every time I go back and enjoy Davey Boy's "because I'm bizarre!" promo, somebody inevitably says in the comments "he's gonna win, whether he likes it or not."

I assume this is a reference to some other weird promo but I don't know which or where?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Every time I go back and enjoy Davey Boy's "because I'm bizarre!" promo, somebody inevitably says in the comments "he's gonna win, whether he likes it or not."

I assume this is a reference to some other weird promo but I don't know which or where?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipIDeCZJmhk

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

NikkolasKing posted:

efb

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I heard somewhere that Bulldog was using "I'm gonna win whether you like it or not" as a catchphrase at the time and the kid means Bulldog is gonna win whether Bret likes it or not? Though I've never personally seen Bulldog say this that I can remember.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

I heard somewhere that Bulldog was using "I'm gonna win whether you like it or not" as a catchphrase at the time and the kid means Bulldog is gonna win whether Bret likes it or not? Though I've never personally seen Bulldog say this that I can remember.

As far as I understand it had more to do with Bulldog not wanting to fight Bret because it would tear the family apart.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Renaissance Spam posted:

As far as I understand it had more to do with Bulldog not wanting to fight Bret because it would tear the family apart.

Wow, that kid is brutal.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Who was the last success story of the WWE? I don’t think they have completely built a ‘successful’ wrestler since the miz?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

There's an argument for Sasha Banks since I think her entire career has been WWE adjacent (I believe her first promotion was a feeder league similar to OVW, but I could be wrong)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Renaissance Spam posted:

There's an argument for Sasha Banks since I think her entire career has been WWE adjacent (I believe her first promotion was a feeder league similar to OVW, but I could be wrong)

Didn't she get tapped for The Mandalorian via something entirely unrelated to wrestling comma professional?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

From the current roster, you can make arguments for (using the bare minimum definition of "success" as "is on Raw or Smackdown") with the Miz debuting on the main roster in 2006, and counting OVW/FCW:

Alexa Bliss
Angelo Dawkins
Bianca Belair
Big E
Commander Azeez
Chad Gable
Charlotte Flair
Carmella
Dana Brooke
Dominik Mysterio
Eva Marie
Happy Corbin
Jey Uso
Jimmy Uso
Liv Morgan
Mandy Rose
Montez Ford
Naomi
Nia Jax
Omos
Reginald
Riddick Moss
Roman Reigns
Titus O'Neil

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

From the current roster, you can make arguments for (using the bare minimum definition of "success" as "is on Raw or Smackdown") with the Miz debuting on the main roster in 2006, and counting OVW/FCW:

Alexa Bliss
Angelo Dawkins
Bianca Belair
Big E
Commander Azeez
Chad Gable
Charlotte Flair
Carmella
Dana Brooke
Dominik Mysterio
Eva Marie
Happy Corbin
Jey Uso
Jimmy Uso
Liv Morgan
Mandy Rose
Montez Ford
Naomi
Nia Jax
Omos
Reginald
Riddick Moss
Roman Reigns
Titus O'Neil
It’s hard to ignore many of those came from wrestling families - heck 3 are related to the rock!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't she get tapped for The Mandalorian via something entirely unrelated to wrestling comma professional?

Yeah, the director saw her on Hot Ones.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Manwithastick posted:

Who was the last success story of the WWE? I don’t think they have completely built a ‘successful’ wrestler since the miz?

What's your criteria for successful?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Vandar posted:

What's your criteria for successful?

Let’s use the WWE metric and say ‘needle movers’ or at least competent main eventers like Roman Reigns

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
anyone have some favorite colt cabana matches? the few i went through watching with friends earlier were mostly orange cassidy showcases or multiman matches he didn't do much in

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

flatluigi posted:

anyone have some favorite colt cabana matches? the few i went through watching with friends earlier were mostly orange cassidy showcases or multiman matches he didn't do much in

Cabana vs Homicide in a Chicago Street Fight from ROH Better Than Our Best, 1/4/06, an absolute war that served as the blow-off to the Cabana Homicide feud. You have to skip to 41:30 as it's from a Homicide compilation video
Second City Saints vs The Briscoes from ROH Death Before Dishonor II, 23/7/04, ROH Tag Team Championship
Cabana vs Danielson from ROH Chi-Town Struggle, 24/6/06, ROH World Championship
BIG IN USA vs Killer Elite Squad from NOAH Destiny 2015, 23/12/15, GHC Tag Team Championship

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Who are the best 6+ft women in wrestling?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kennel posted:

Who are the best 6+ft women in wrestling?

:thunk:

I'm googling every tall wrestling lady I can think of and every one of them that I thought might have made the list is under six feet.

Jessiac Havok (6'0") and Alpha Female / Jazzy Gabert (6'1") might qualify but I haven't seen enough of their matches to be able to say if they're good or not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Manwithastick posted:

Let’s use the WWE metric and say ‘needle movers’ or at least competent main eventers like Roman Reigns
If you go with this, that whittles my list above down to (at best):

Alexa Bliss
Bianca Belair (pre-Summerslam)
Big E (as part of New Day)
Charlotte Flair
Roman Reigns

Maybe throw in Naomi since she seems consistently popular despite being consistently poorly used, and the Usos since they're pretty well respected for putting on good matches.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Vandar posted:

:thunk:

I'm googling every tall wrestling lady I can think of and every one of them that I thought might have made the list is under six feet.

Jessiac Havok (6'0") and Alpha Female / Jazzy Gabert (6'1") might qualify but I haven't seen enough of their matches to be able to say if they're good or not.

Ayesha Raymond/Amazon is 6 foot too and she was good from what I saw of her on the SEAdLINNNG tour she did.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Madison Eagles is 6'1" and is a legend in both Australian and American indie wrestling. She also trained everyone Australian from Kyle Fletcher to Robbie Eagles to (predictably) Robbie Eagles.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lamuella posted:

Madison Eagles is 6'1" and is a legend in both Australian and American indie wrestling. She also trained everyone Australian from Kyle Fletcher to Robbie Eagles to (predictably) Robbie Eagles.

Robbie was so poo poo the first time she had to train him twice

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jennacide is 6 feet even and she's still green, but not terrible by any means. Max the Impaler's somewhere around 6 feet too, I think.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What would this thread recommend as the best WWF/WCW/ECW wrestling matches for 1997-1999? Specifically stuff that you would show off to someone who likes Pro-wrestling but hasn't seen anything from the Attitude Era?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

What would this thread recommend as the best WWF/WCW/ECW wrestling matches for 1997-1999? Specifically stuff that you would show off to someone who likes Pro-wrestling but hasn't seen anything from the Attitude Era?

Wrestlemania 13, Bret Hart vs Steve Austin
In Your House Canadian Stampede, Hart Foundation vs LOD, Goldust, Austin & Shamrock
Halloween Havoc 97, Eddie Guererro vs Rey Mysterio, Title vs mask

I've not seen much from 98 & 99 so won't go into that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
ECW:
The M-Pro tag from Barely Legal' 97
Tanaka vs Awesome Heatwave '98

WWE:
Ladder Match: HHH vs the Rock Summerslam 98
HIAC: Undertaker vs HBK Badd Blood 97