Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HalloKitty posted:

windows has had a built-in magnifier program since xp, iirc; no idea if it's suitable for your use case

Yeah I'm looking for something that will magnify just a portion of the screen while leaving the rest intact. Magnifier affects the whole screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Tremors posted:

I had a new laptop delivered to my boomer parents who live a few hours away and talking them through doing anything on it over the phone has been a nightmare. Are there any braindead remote desktop solutions that will work with windows 10 s mode or do I have to get them out of that first?

I'll second chrome remote desktop. My parents, born in the 50s, use it to do what you're doing to give my grandma tech support.

Getting your parents to remote in to grandma's computer feels like one of those urban legends that didn't happen but alas..

Otoh my parents still ask me extremely basic questions when it comes to their own machine sometimes :shrug:

Also medullah, I run 3 different display resolutions on one PC and have been searching for years for the same thing as you to no avail. I hope you find an answer and can share it.

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 26, 2021

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Medullah posted:

Yeah I'm looking for something that will magnify just a portion of the screen while leaving the rest intact. Magnifier affects the whole screen.

If you open up the control panel accessibility options, it has options for "lens" and "docked" modes that leave most of the screen unmagnified. The "docked" version even reduces the rest of the desktop resolution accordingly (so you can still maximize windows, etc and not have them hidden behind the magnifier). You can set the magnifier "lens" not to follow anything, and just position the magnified window manually with the keyboard, if you want it to have "stay in the corner" behavior.

You can also use the compatibility settings to change how individual applications behave. If you override the high-DPI scaling behavior and set it to "scaling performed by system," the application will think it's running at a low DPI, and then Windows will scale it up to the monitor DPI for you - it'll be blurry but should skip any "this application claims to support high DPI but actually isn't usable" problems.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

If you open up the control panel accessibility options, it has options for "lens" and "docked" modes that leave most of the screen unmagnified. The "docked" version even reduces the rest of the desktop resolution accordingly (so you can still maximize windows, etc and not have them hidden behind the magnifier). You can set the magnifier "lens" not to follow anything, and just position the magnified window manually with the keyboard, if you want it to have "stay in the corner" behavior.

You can also use the compatibility settings to change how individual applications behave. If you override the high-DPI scaling behavior and set it to "scaling performed by system," the application will think it's running at a low DPI, and then Windows will scale it up to the monitor DPI for you - it'll be blurry but should skip any "this application claims to support high DPI but actually isn't usable" problems.

Ah perfect thanks, I thought it used to be able to do that but couldn't figure it out. That should help, thanks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw I had a second monitor that I had been meaning to hook up and I finally did that today and now my PC sleeps when it should.

Why? :iiam:

Thanks bill gates.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw I had a second monitor that I had been meaning to hook up and I finally did that today and now my PC sleeps when it should.

Why? :iiam:

Thanks bill gates.

In my experience it works for a day or two then decides to stop sleeping. So don't think you're out of the woods yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

In my experience it works for a day or two then decides to stop sleeping. So don't think you're out of the woods yet.

Yeah I’m fully expecting it to stop working tonight or the computer wake from sleep at some random time.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Medullah posted:

You can configure the magnifier to a certain size then drag it where you want it? After my corneal transplant I had a week or so of blurred vision and I stuck to Kindle, Apple Books, and SA, all magnified so I could read on my iPad and PC. It has lots of options available for you to try and make it work.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

You can configure the magnifier to a certain size then drag it where you want it? After my corneal transplant I had a week or so of blurred vision and I stuck to Kindle, Apple Books, and SA, all magnified so I could read on my iPad and PC. It has lots of options available for you to try and make it work.

Yep someone pointed that out a few posts back. :)

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

xzzy posted:

Do you leave a lot of browser tabs open? Websites that keep video content going, even without audio, can prevent sleep. News sites tend to be particularly bad for this.

You might try closing down your browser, and see if that gets sleep back.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Medullah posted:

Yep someone pointed that out a few posts back. :)

Yeah, I saw it afteri posted above. Some people have pointed out that I often post 3 or 4 in a row on slower but active threads. It’s because I post in response to quotes on AwfulApp, which make copy/paste/format text difficult. If I don’t read a thread for a few days and read 50 posts I just respond as I go through them all, which can leave a few dissimilar multi-posts when I respond.

In this case, it was a much better answer previous to mine. They’d the breaks, kid. I’m a rebel. 🤪

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I have a headless and keyboard/mouseless computer that I want to run/kill command line stuff on using simple button presses. Is there a good and cheap way to do this? I was thinking maybe a cheap USB gamepad - does anyone have recommendations for software that I can set to startup with the PC and will run a cmd line thing when I push a button on a controller? Or a better recommendation to handle this?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I have a headless and keyboard/mouseless computer that I want to run/kill command line stuff on using simple button presses. Is there a good and cheap way to do this? I was thinking maybe a cheap USB gamepad - does anyone have recommendations for software that I can set to startup with the PC and will run a cmd line thing when I push a button on a controller? Or a better recommendation to handle this?

AutoHotKey? Not sure if it's the best solution here, but you can map button presses to do just about anything with that.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Echoing the recommendation for Autohotkey if you want to bind commands to a keypress.
An alternative solution if the headless machine will be connected to your network, could be to install OpenSSH server onto it. And SSH into the headless machine from your regular computer when you need to run some commands.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Note that while you can run just fine without a monitor, I'm pretty sure the non-Server versions of Windows can't be true headless as in no GPU / display adapter at all.

I'd go with a USB numpad over a gamepad -- they're very cheap, you get more keys, and a thing that's a bit less silly-looking hooked to a headless PC. Definitely autohotkey for that method.

There's also stuff like the elgato streamdeck but that's not cheap. Very cool though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The obvious solution is to run node.js and make all the functions accessible from a web page.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

xzzy posted:

The obvious solution is to run node.js and make all the functions accessible from a web page.

That’s a funny way to typo asp.net core

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Is there a mouse button app that can assign a click --> keystroke? I have to add about 10,000 punctuation marks to some documents, and I want to just use a mouse button to click --> add period, click --> add comma, etc..

Basically, I want it to put a period whenever I click somewhere.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

lord funk posted:

Is there a mouse button app that can assign a click --> keystroke? I have to add about 10,000 punctuation marks to some documents, and I want to just use a mouse button to click --> add period, click --> add comma, etc..

Autohotkey.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

lord funk posted:

I see your apple avatar but if you have a mouse with extra buttons on it you can generally bind these within the mouse's software (razer synapse, etc) to whatever you want. I rebind extra mouse buttons that normally control sensitivity to volume up/down instead, for example. You could easily bind these to whatever keystroke you like.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

beuges posted:

That’s a funny way to typo asp.net core

Don't put that evil on anyone. (at least if it's as bad on the back end as it is every time I use something based on it)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I see your apple avatar but if you have a mouse with extra buttons on it you can generally bind these within the mouse's software (razer synapse, etc) to whatever you want. I rebind extra mouse buttons that normally control sensitivity to volume up/down instead, for example. You could easily bind these to whatever keystroke you like.

Yeah I just got a big 'ol PC desktop to do some Unreal development. The Logitech app doesn't allow for both a click and then a keystroke, just modifier key + click.

I can kind of get it to work with X-Mouse Button Control, but it's wonky, and I can only get it to work with the left click.

Medullah posted:

Autohotkey.

I'll give this a go.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

lord funk posted:

This would really be one for the "request a tiny app" thread, but I felt like doing this anyway, as it's quick to do. I hope it's on Windows, otherwise you'll have to find another solution.

It does exactly what you asked for, and should be self explanatory.
https://app.box.com/s/aurz9j7o1qzq89ahxoo0hqu4oh8sjtb5

The code is of course included, it's written in AutoIT v3, the dependencies are included in the AutoIT installer if you actually want to compile it or modify it.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 29, 2021

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Oh that is awesome. Works great! Thanks! I might dig around the script to add other mouse buttons.

Yeah, I'm adding punctuation to about 10 hours of subtitles pulled from YouTube. It's already mind-numbing, but saving on a few thousand key presses really speeds things up.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

lord funk posted:

Oh that is awesome. Works great! Thanks! I might dig around the script to add other mouse buttons.

Yeah, I'm adding punctuation to about 10 hours of subtitles pulled from YouTube. It's already mind-numbing, but saving on a few thousand key presses really speeds things up.

I just fixed a minor bug which caused it to type one character after disabling (and tidied up the code a tiny bit), so you're welcome to download it again. Glad it helped.

You can run multiple instances and just enable the one you want to use at that moment, if it saves some time. I suppose it could be made to use modifier keys to change the behaviour

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 29, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

tildes posted:

Power toys works well for me, but I also don’t use visual studio so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Completely off topic, so will be brief: Cleaned room/closet, found over 150 software CDs, old game CDs, and a bunch of cdrw of .mp3s (from Napster). Among this, I found a VB6 non-pirated collection I used to make a BattleTech ProtoMech builder small enough to fit on a 1.44” floppy if zipped. Would it be possible to run it on a Win10 Pro/Win11 Pro without a lot of trouble? VB6 is the only language I am solid on, although I have a tiny bit of proficiency w/C & C++ for waaaaay old genetics-type scientific software. If there is an easier language (C#?) to learn for a hobby (so Free!), and dip my toes into UE4/5, any recommendations?
Appreciate comments or flames 🔥 :allears:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is there any batch process out there to size-optimise a bunch of word files?
For reasons my girlfriend's managed to generate a whole pile word docs that are all well over a gig and it looks like they're stuffed full of uncompressed images. They're fixable individually, but being able to feed the whole lot to the 3700x overnight and just be done with it would be nice.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

DerekSmartymans posted:

Completely off topic, so will be brief: Cleaned room/closet, found over 150 software CDs, old game CDs, and a bunch of cdrw of .mp3s (from Napster). Among this, I found a VB6 non-pirated collection I used to make a BattleTech ProtoMech builder small enough to fit on a 1.44” floppy if zipped. Would it be possible to run it on a Win10 Pro/Win11 Pro without a lot of trouble? VB6 is the only language I am solid on, although I have a tiny bit of proficiency w/C & C++ for waaaaay old genetics-type scientific software. If there is an easier language (C#?) to learn for a hobby (so Free!), and dip my toes into UE4/5, any recommendations?
Appreciate comments or flames 🔥 :allears:

Self-contained WinForms apps made in VB6 should run fine in Win10/11.

You can download either Visual Studio or VS Code for free and build basic C# / .NET apps.
Visual Studio Community has a forms designer which is basically exactly the same as VB6 for making toy apps with.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

~Coxy posted:

Self-contained WinForms apps made in VB6 should run fine in Win10/11.

You can download either Visual Studio or VS Code for free and build basic C# / .NET apps.
Visual Studio Community has a forms designer which is basically exactly the same as VB6 for making toy apps with.

Thanks! I just dug out my external dvd writer so I could install, but it may be easier to just download this stuff! Thanks again for the link!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Kerbtree posted:

Is there any batch process out there to size-optimise a bunch of word files?
For reasons my girlfriend's managed to generate a whole pile word docs that are all well over a gig and it looks like they're stuffed full of uncompressed images. They're fixable individually, but being able to feed the whole lot to the 3700x overnight and just be done with it would be nice.

If they are .docx files, you could open them as ZIP archives and do a batch resize on the images in the word/media folder and then re-ZIP them up? I've not tried anything like that, and I've no idea how easily that could be automated, but might be an avenue to investigate.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

IIRC, the modern office formats are a bit peculiar about the ordering of files inside the zip container - I think the manifest file has to be the first entry. Not an unsurmountable problem or anything, but it can be a bit fiddly.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is a tool like Power Automate an option? It would be slow, but I would think you could record "open file, select all, optimize image" and let it run overnight.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Worth a bash, cheers folks.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's a decent file explorer replacement for Win10? I'm tired of having five explorer pages floating around and digging around each of them to find what I need. I looked in to dopus but 80 dollars for a single computer is a bit steep.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

What's a decent file explorer replacement for Win10? I'm tired of having five explorer pages floating around and digging around each of them to find what I need. I looked in to dopus but 80 dollars for a single computer is a bit steep.

Total Commander. I have been using it since Windows 95.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's just too bad you can't have other file managers hook into win+e anymore, from what I've seen.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Dopus came up on humble bundle. Instant buy for me from there. Maybe it will again if you're patient. There's also a light version is that any cheaper?

Total commander is also good as mentioned above. Very old school however.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

c0burn posted:

Dopus came up on humble bundle. Instant buy for me from there. Maybe it will again if you're patient. There's also a light version is that any cheaper?

Total commander is also good as mentioned above. Very old school however.

Oh, cool. I'll grab TC for now, but I definitely prefer opus from the messing around with it that I got to do

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I still use QTTabBar which just adds tabs to explorer.
http://qttabbar.wikidot.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Robo Reagan posted:

So I use a number of 'em (including stock Windows Explorer/File Explorer) for different things/use cases, but since you mention DOpus, I can recommend NexusFile. It's donation-requested freeware and I've used it for years:

https://www.xiles.app/ (previously http://xiles.net/, which seems like it still works too?)

I just went to find the website again to get you the link and I see it's been updated in 2021, which is wild to me; I need to check it out. I've been using a version from 2012 (5.3.3.5532) or earlier for what seems like forever.

(I also use the "new" winfile/File Manager for certain things as well, but that's probably not what you're looking for: https://github.com/Microsoft/winfile)