Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Mr Hootington posted:

Holy poo poo. What a time to be alive. We are going to have cascading failures and the news will never report any of it. Like is all the insane doomer predictions from last March finally coming true?!?!

A bomb blew up in Afghanistan for the first time in nearly two decades. Sorry that's gotta be the lead for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

brugroffil posted:

A bomb blew up in Afghanistan for the first time in nearly two decades. Sorry that's gotta be the lead for weeks.

Yes war is more important.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Disaster bonuses beginning to stack

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

stimulus?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the news 6 months later, as biden's approval rating drops because everyone is loving dying: "americans are livid with biden for his afghanistan withdrawal!!!"

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Lastgirl posted:

https://twitter.com/Public_Citizen/status/1431368436853116932

your government is killing you and then everyone else

For as much tax money as we give them you would think the least they could do would be to kill everyone else first.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
at this point I wouldn't be surprised if american bombers just started dropping bombs on american cities

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

🤣

You god damned moron

The Democrats are in charge now

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Casey Finnigan posted:

the news 6 months later, as biden's approval rating drops because everyone is loving dying: "americans are livid with biden for his afghanistan withdrawal!!!"

it's already dropped

impeach

resign

reinstate Trump

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
cracko pingo again for tonight.

Looked up the katrina warning bulletin

Look at the date

quote:

WWUS74 KLIX 281550 NPWLIX

URGENT — WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA 1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28, 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH... RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL. PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE

OUTSIDE!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
at least with trump you could see that he didn't really want a lot of americans to die under his presidency that much. he obviously didn't care personally, but he knew people would poo poo on him for it.

does biden know covid is happening? does he remember what covid is?

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Look at the date

Time is now unraveling lmfao owns

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/StateDeptSpox/status/1431424274162671617

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Steve Yun posted:

they’re buying ivermectin from Ali express now

:rip:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

feels like mid-late game Plague, Inc when you know you’ve turned the corner, disasters start to rack up, and you can see the end in sight

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

silicone thrills posted:

Look at the date

Yeah it’s the anniversary, believe me it’s not lost on us.

…. Yay. It’s Katrina’s sweet 16.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1431423269131927552?s=19

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Lastgirl posted:

https://twitter.com/Public_Citizen/status/1431368436853116932

if the goverment is making an ekranoplan than uh, actually im fine with them letting everyone day THOSE ARE SO COOL

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:bravo:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

good lord I totally forgot about that whole sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXeV5cqb_3Y

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Chicago has lanes it switches inbound/outbound like 5 times a day. It isn't hard. With 36 hours you just go park garbage trucks at onramps for 100 miles and one cop per each to wave people away

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Love to send bottom of the barrel dregs to the Global South

Really makes them feel like friends and allies

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
flying over enough doses to cover like 0.7% of the population with the poo poo doo doo vaccine

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

whens the cane supposed to make landfall

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I follow a ton of news accounts and the new Orleans evacuation only showed up when I searched for it. Lmao this is a major usa city lamo

Then again nobody gave a poo poo about the NE a week ago.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Chamale posted:

In March 2020 people making accurate predictions got probations for doomerism in D&D

Hi. It's me.

About 70% accurate, 30% insane. I remember expecting at least half a million deaths but lowballing it to a quarter million. I quoted CDC reports where they flat out said we'd have a quarter million deaths if we didn't change our behavior immediately. A number of completely useless libs on D&D lost their poo poo and could not stop yelling at me despite me, lol, trying to debate. Not a whole lot of debate or discussion at the time unless it was 100% aesthetic in terms of politics. Others took me and a few others talking about covid coming more seriously.

I got yelled at occasionally by Fool of Sound for being a doomer. I still think he's pretty cool even though he's a D&D mod. Always treated me pretty fair and in retrospect most of his probes were essentially "go take a break, you're having an anxiety attack" or "go take a break, you're causing other people to have anxiety attacks". Which I do understand. A lot of people weren't doing well at the time, including me.

He was in a pretty poo poo position. Some of the libs could not fathom that politics would effect them in a real, tangible way and would not be 100% aesthetic. They were always the ones who would screech the loudest at me. I would've liked some backup from the mods because some of that poo poo got incredible abusive but I guess that's what it means to talk about uncomfortable truths, even if you're not 100% right.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 28, 2021

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

vomiting all this black blood sure is a bummer, maybe jacking off will help...oh no!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mastershakeman posted:

Chicago has lanes it switches inbound/outbound like 5 times a day. It isn't hard. With 36 hours you just go park garbage trucks at onramps for 100 miles and one cop per each to wave people away

Seattle has a couple sets of changable lanes and there's just auto dropping stop bars every day at 4am and 11am. Weekends are like 4am and 2pm to give people more time to come into downtown. But obviously that's gotta be something you've already planned for and put the infra in for. and lmao at coastal cities ever learning the lesson that its worth spending some money on drop bars for a few emergencies a year.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Katrina made landfall as a Cat 3. It had been a Cat 5 over open waters a few days prior to landfall. The category is ONLY determined by peak wind speeds, it says nothing itself of storm surge, size, or forward speed - all which can vary considerably and have huge impacts on flooding potential. That doesn't even touch on the aspects of where a storm makes landfall - shape of the coast, for example. Katrina had a 30' storm surge with it which flowed into Ponchatrain, backflowed further causing the levees to fail. Ignore the category. Just look at actual info from NHC.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?start#contents

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Google Butt posted:

whens the cane supposed to make landfall

Sunday afternoon

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’m sure all those vaccines are for the wealthy and politicians lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I thought it was like how many cats would be mad about it

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

mastershakeman posted:

You also need to consider you try to evacuate everyone and now you've got thousands and thousands of people sitting in slow traffic as the storm arrives.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lastgirl posted:

any government that does not forcibly vaccinate its entire population is actively responsible for all deaths that ensue

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
are there carwashes to get stuck in? that’s all I want to know

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Koirhor posted:

are there carwashes to get stuck in? that’s all I want to know

Jeff would know

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Man nearly half of all the community covid cases in New Zealand right now are from a single church gathering. Getting into a big room with hundreds of other people and singing really seeming like a bad idea right now.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SirPablo posted:

You also need to consider you try to evacuate everyone and now you've got thousands and thousands of people sitting in slow traffic as the storm arrives.

good point, better to have everyone riding it out

in fact set it up in reverse so nobody can leave, just to be on the safe side

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Blackhawk posted:

Man nearly half of all the community covid cases in New Zealand right now are from a single church gathering. Getting into a big room with hundreds of other people and singing really seeming like a bad idea right now.

School

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/pcuowq/the_audacity_of_my_hospital/

quote:

The AUDACITY of my hospital
Rant
Through the pandemic, my hospital has made several changes to manage the financial burden of covid. We have had staff pay cuts, sick time/PTO cuts, suspension of our 403b retirement match, increases in our standard nurse patient ratio, and so on. We constantly work short staffed while the hospital makes only minimal effort to fix the shortfall. It has been rough.

This week the hospital sent out a system wide email to staff with a link to an article by Modern Healthcare magazine. Our CEO has been chosen as one of the Top 25 Innovators of 2021. What category has he been nominated for? COST REDUCTION

While staff bear the weight of fighting a pandemic, always asked to do more for less, the CEO is receiving an award for gouging our paychecks and compensation. There is no innovation, there is only profits on the backs of workers. And they thought it would be a good idea to openly celebrate this to staff. Management is either oblivious to the consequences their decisions are having on staff, or worse, they do know but they *just don't care.*

My two week notice is in. I am done.

c'mon man