Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
That one abandoned hospital in New Orleans that still has ambulances in the front is loving haunting. Cant believe they just completely gave up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

If there's nowhere to transfer them to because no hospitals for hundreds of miles have capacity what can even be done

Systemic collapse is bad

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nodelphi posted:

So I know I’ve brought this up before, but it’s one of my worst memories.

Imagine you’re at a hospital that has lost power, the generators are out, you’ve got nothing, not even phones. Your vents aren’t working and you are bagging patients. You are doing this in very dim light, no monitors, only the slight squeak of the bag as you squeeze, you’re tired and you just want to stop but you can’t. You hear moaning and crying coming from down the hall but you can’t help, you can’t even step out for a second.

You can’t really stop to check your patient’s blood pressure but you can still feel a thready pulse. Your patient was on medication drips but those have now been left to drip in slowly because you can’t infuse the medications. You feel the tension in your patient’s lungs and realize you’ve let your nerves get to you and you’ve bagged too fast. You seek calm, keep bagging, slow and steady. Pulse remains slow and faint. This could last days.

That’s bagging someone in the aftermath of a hurricane and it’s awful.

businesspeople: “cool, number is going up, revise the report!”

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Someone prolly already replied to this, but it's from a bullshit Facebook poll (I'm not gonna call it a study), that just asked people what their education was.

So of course all the dumbasses said they had phds and don't want the vaccine.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I remember reading about hospitals in the aftermath of katrina and health care workers having to just abandon people :(

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Louisiana has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the country. I'm sure all the temporary hurricane shelters will be plague proof tho

All the chuds in Nola getting whats coming to em am I right boys??? Eh???

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Louisiana has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the country. I'm sure all the temporary hurricane shelters will be plague proof tho

at times of natural crisis like this we have put aside our petty squabbles about who died with who, to come together as human and virus and stand, shoulder to protein spike, to face the storm and come through it united and rebuild stronger

zone
Dec 6, 2016
everyone dyin open biden

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

mawarannahr posted:

businesspeople: “cool, number is going up, revise the report!”

I like the business thing of ignoring everything else and just putting a ruler at the end of the profit line and drawing the current trajectory into infinity

that said, probably not wrong in this case

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

this is all a great success for federal politicians fifty years in the making

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baddog posted:

Someone prolly already replied to this, but it's from a bullshit Facebook poll (I'm not gonna call it a study), that just asked people what their education was.

It also makes zero loving sense if any sociologist spent 5 seconds thinking about it because vaccine hesitancy rates for the general population are like 40%+, whereas in this poll each category is <25%. anyone who found that paper persuasive got conned

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Sounds like a new category for grifters, photoshop

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Is Japan really using ivermectin?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

people like to poo poo on doctors but last I heard vax rates are in the 90s so suck it

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

My sister works in a nursing home. Her employer just hung up this sign.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Oh a major pumping station in New Orleans is broken.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2353176102455/s-wb-pump-station-12-down-in-lakeview-as-ida-strengthens

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Schnorkles posted:

CNN will spend the next few days talking about the biggest disaster ever is the forever ending as climate change assists in the murder of thousands of souls.

jfc what a country

the real crack ping, as these crisis pile up and compound, is that for people in dc the current multiple crisises will be replaced by new ones, and all the dumb useless bullshit they did to ‘solve’ these past crises will be trotted out as things they did to make them better, when really it was all a huge loving mess of suffering and death, we just aren’t capable of remembering it, especially because of these new crises, nor is anyone able to say ‘no, you hosed it up mr. biden’ and have it stick in any meaningful way. they will genuinely think they did they best they could, and made life better, and so will most people.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
Uhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1431306713156759552?s=20

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

one neat thing i saw in a few places in south america where iron-deficiency anemia was an issue were these little cast-iron fish that people put in their soup pots to basically act as a reusable iron supplement by leeching out into the soup. haven't ever seen them anywhere else and i'm honestly kinda curious how much of an effect it would even have, but it's an interesting idea

surprised that so many americans are deficient when red meat consumption is so high

The effectiveness of leeching iron from a vessel into solution depends on how hot and acidic the solution is, basically. Unless they're eating stomach-acid soup that was boiled for awhile, it will affect their diet very little.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Death By The Blues posted:

An aside here Chinese hegemony will be tricky cause while yea the world generally hates America, there is a particular hated and distaste for China in large swathes of Asia. Talking to relatives in Iran who just announced a free deal with them, they are not happy with it and do not like them. There just tends be a lot of white tankies here who probably have never met anyone from Asia or have any connection with them there. Also, on top of their feelings for China, covid didn't help. They absolutely could become the next superpower, but they have a lot of work to do.

Yeah know what? I hope China fails and the USA reascends and we My Lai the entire world.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

great. good.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

amethystbliss posted:

:thumbsup:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
NOLA is the only city worth a drat in this $hithole country. gently caress.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

amethystbliss posted:

8 strikes and you're out!

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
This also seems bad? idk

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1431386896081604609?s=20

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

This seems extremely obvious? What am I missing?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

surprised it’s that low tbh

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah know what? I hope China fails and the USA reascends and we My Lai the entire world.

I feel like people are misconstruing this as me supporting America. gently caress em. More so this is reading like Bernie 2020 where people here where like he is unstoppable, president4eva and well they just didn't know the actual ground scenario. There are just a lot of countries and inhabitants of that country that are wary of China, and covid hasn't helped.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Der Meister posted:

people like to poo poo on doctors but last I heard vax rates are in the 90s so suck it

haven’t heard from the thread doctor in a bit — they are wearing N95 under a surgical. :ohdear:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Nodelphi posted:

So I know I’ve brought this up before, but it’s one of my worst memories.

Imagine you’re at a hospital that has lost power, the generators are out, you’ve got nothing, not even phones. Your vents aren’t working and you are bagging patients. You are doing this in very dim light, no monitors, only the slight squeak of the bag as you squeeze, you’re tired and you just want to stop but you can’t. You hear moaning and crying coming from down the hall but you can’t help, you can’t even step out for a second.

You can’t really stop to check your patient’s blood pressure but you can still feel a thready pulse. Your patient was on medication drips but those have now been left to drip in slowly because you can’t infuse the medications. You feel the tension in your patient’s lungs and realize you’ve let your nerves get to you and you’ve bagged too fast. You seek calm, keep bagging, slow and steady. Pulse remains slow and faint. This could last days.

That’s bagging someone in the aftermath of a hurricane and it’s awful.

:smith: peace be with you and stay safe

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I love that they open er up a little more every time they hit record high cases.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/bars-eateries-out-of-bounds-for-unjabbed-under-reopening-plan-20210827-p58mjk.html

quote:

Unvaccinated people will not be able to enter restaurants, bars and other hospitality venues once NSW begins opening up after reaching a 70 per cent vaccination rate, under a proposal being considered by the state government.

they keep dangling the US solution in front of our eyes as a carrot like it's something to emulate. it might work tbh, the average australian has no idea about how bad it's getting over there because they're not extremely online sickos who read this thread like us

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

WaryWarren posted:

honolulu is cool

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

seems about right with the cfr

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

haven’t heard from the thread doctor in a bit — they are wearing N95 under a surgical. :ohdear:

who’s the thread doctor

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Durf posted:

So I went to the Soda Jerk and said listen Jack, I want an ice-cream, and I want all the scoops cause I’m ramming that thing so deep down my throat that Covid won’t know what hit it

:cawg:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

It 100% makes sense that we're gonna end up breeding a vaccine escape nightmare variant here in the US. We have enough vaccines to put pressure on it to select for ways around them, but not enough vaccines and NPIs to actually get rid of it. We're like the perfect environment to develop something like this.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Baddog posted:

people with PhDs have their own brain worms so I can believe it

if you do have a PhD, I'm sorry if this offends you. Please take some ivermectin to get dewormed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Death By The Blues posted:

I feel like people are misconstruing this as me supporting America. gently caress em. More so this is reading like Bernie 2020 where people here where like he is unstoppable, president4eva and well they just didn't know the actual ground scenario. There are just a lot of countries and inhabitants of that country that are wary of China, and covid hasn't helped.

Maybe your moron relatives should come to the realization that developing close ties to China is maybe what stops the USA or Isreal from turning them into radioactive dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

WaryWarren posted: