Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Decided to try FNM again: store was full, standing room only and only a handful of masks in sight.
And they were all on the star wars minis players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Did anyone notice this new LR keto revelation, after making GBS threads all over BREAD is exactly BREAD?

B: bombs. <=> (Bombs, goes without saying apparently)
R: removal. <=> K: kill spells
E: efficient creatures. <=>. E: efficient creatures
A: ample. <=> T: top end
D: dregs. <=> (Dregs, goes without saying)

Lol

the E in bread is "evasion", efficient creatures didn't exist back in the day

most common removal is pretty bad and has been for a long time now, even their updated acronym is a year+ out of date already lol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

little munchkin posted:

the E in bread is "evasion", efficient creatures didn't exist back in the day

most common removal is pretty bad and has been for a long time now, even their updated acronym is a year+ out of date already lol

When I saw the episode's title I thought it was going to be some new groundbreaking paradigm that we could tell new players and it turned out NOPE it's just the last thing except they skipped a letter.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Did anyone notice this new LR keto revelation, after making GBS threads all over BREAD is exactly BREAD?

Lol

Ample isnt really very intuitive so changing that at least makes it obvious what it means

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've never heard anyone say the A in BREAD stood for "ample".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Aranan posted:

Ive never really paid attention to what BREAD meant so if fuzzy is lieing to me about what it means, well, shame on them

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Wait doesn't it stand for

Be taking red cards
Red cards are the best
Every card in your deck should be red
Are there any red cards left?
Don't take any thing else

I've always wondered why I lose so much in draft.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Beat the opponent
Render them meaningless
Erase them from history
Also thier family
Dont forget to shoot thier dog too

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The A in BREAD is Aggro... and the E is Evasion as was stated already.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Aranan posted:

one of the main criticisms of BREAD is that everyone is just guessing what the A or the D stand for

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

When I saw the episode's title I thought it was going to be some new groundbreaking paradigm that we could tell new players and it turned out NOPE it's just the last thing except they skipped a letter.

I have not listened to the episode but i laughed real hard when i read a spoiler

Cactrot posted:

Be taking red cards
Red cards are the best

this sounds better for your winrate than KETO tbqh

i just tell new people at the lgs to prioritize stuff that attacks, blocks or kills something

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, I learned it as:
Bombs
Removal
Evasion
Abilities
Dreg

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cactrot posted:

Be taking red cards
Red cards are the best

no you've confused it for B-RED, common mistake

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I was told it was Bomb, Removal, Evasion, Average, Dreck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Get 5 MTG drafters in a room and you'll hear 6 versions of what the A in BREAD stands for.

510rems
Mar 26, 2010
the A stands for avarice and the D stands for desperation

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The five stages of draft

Bombast
Regret
Ennui
Acceptance
Death

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 28, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
BREAD comes from the days when most of the cards sucked and you really needed to nail the draft in order to even get 23 playables, so the A was literally just reminding you to take creatures that can Attack (and block) over random junky cards that can't even do that.

But honestly given how important being able to play to the board early is in most draft formats, I feel like that's the part of BREAD that's still relevant today. Take your two- and three-drop creatures that can attack and block, even if they aren't otherwise exciting, unless you want to lose.

Removal used to be very scarce, so wanting to snap it up whenever you see it was a common theme across formats. That one's definitely bogus today, there's plenty of mediocre removal going around and you're pretty much always going to end up with something your deck can play at the end of the day. You still want to pick the good removal highly, but that's because they're good cards and not just because they're removal.

Evasion is less of a big deal as well, mostly because you have more ways to deal with flyers that aren't just "play a flyer of your own", and an uncontested Wind Drake isn't really a game winner on its own. It's still good to have, but not dominant-across-formats the way the acronym suggests. You need to evaluate each card in the context of the environment instead of being "Storm Crow good because Flying".

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It has been many many years since I've listened to Limited Resources but doing these historic drafts in MGTA recently for sets I've never played, I appreciated their analysis lens of "how does this card help me when I'm behind, how does this card help me when I'm ahead, how does it help me when I'm at parity?" -- I feel like at the most basic level, if you can make a case for a card in at least 2 out of 3 of those game states, it might be a decent draft pick

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

GigaPeon posted:

16 Cards. Does that sound right from one J21?

Every JS pack also has cards that already existed on Arena and use the old set symbol plus basic lands so yeah, sounds about right.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Did a mystery booster draft today and somehow lucked into boros splinter twin combo. Highlights included:

- kiki jiki
- magus of the moat
- sparring mummy
- felidar guardian
- goblin bombardment

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Retcon posted:

Every JS pack also has cards that already existed on Arena and use the old set symbol plus basic lands so yeah, sounds about right.

Yeah that was I was thinking. Everyone was saying use that search string to see your new cards, but that's not entirely the case.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

goferchan posted:

It has been many many years since I've listened to Limited Resources but doing these historic drafts in MGTA recently for sets I've never played, I appreciated their analysis lens of "how does this card help me when I'm behind, how does this card help me when I'm ahead, how does it help me when I'm at parity?" -- I feel like at the most basic level, if you can make a case for a card in at least 2 out of 3 of those game states, it might be a decent draft pick

Problem with this attitude is when you run into a high synergy set or a set with engine cards like Ikoria or Kaladesh, you can end up drafting cards instead of a deck which is not ideal

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Carbomb. 3R

Destroy target attacking vehicle. The vehicles owner must sacrifice all creatures tapped for its crew ability.

"Today, we were unlucky. But remember, we only have to topdeck once — you have to topdeck always."

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cactrot posted:

I remember someone eating a DQ for being able to cut to a specific card in their deck due to the distribution of foils and non-foils. The hilarious part is it happened because the eventual DQ-eater called a judge to complain about his opponent doing it, and then to prove his point cut to a specific card in his own deck.

lmao my friend was the one who called him on this. special consideration for the fact that my friend was/is a judge and that fabiano came after the match to tell him "be sure to let them know that you were facing down lethal, okay?"

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Is this just “Take the good removal over the good creatures, except when the good creatures are good enough, and then, my god, take those?” But even that’s not good advice in a lot of formats

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BREAD made sense when common removal was Terror while common creatures were Grey Ogre or whatever. But they're better at balancing limited cards now, you can get mediocre removal or premium creatures with no evasive abilities.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Problem with this attitude is when you run into a high synergy set or a set with engine cards like Ikoria or Kaladesh, you can end up drafting cards instead of a deck which is not ideal

Yeah that's fair, I definitely benefited from reading up on draft guides for both those sets. I do find it to be more helpful as a baseline newbie card evaluation strategy than BREAD though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol

the E in bread is "evasion" not "efficient creatures"

Also the A is "Aggro"

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Paul Zuvella posted:

the E in bread is "evasion" not "efficient creatures"

Also the A is "Aggro"

The B stands for BEST CARDS which is all you really need, so BREAD becomes B

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Anyone playing standard 2022 on arena? I have the wildcards for either Mardu Sacrifice or Orzhov Control and both seem pretty fun. The mythics I'd be crafting would be Extus and Kaya, respectively, in case the potential staying power of either of those cards is a factor you'd have me consider

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

goferchan posted:

Anyone playing standard 2022 on arena? I have the wildcards for either Mardu Sacrifice or Orzhov Control and both seem pretty fun. The mythics I'd be crafting would be Extus and Kaya, respectively, in case the potential staying power of either of those cards is a factor you'd have me consider

It is impossible to tell how the meta will shake out post midnight hunt. Don't spend the wc's now.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

goferchan posted:

I have that mardu sac deck built and while you can have some very explosive plays with it, the deck very much wants cards to show up in a specific sequence and it flounders when that doesn't happen. It also does pretty much gently caress nothing against control, as your early game isn't generally fast enough to eat their lunch before they lock it down and your late game is basically what every control deck would like to see out of a topdecking opponent. I don't think Extus is gonna be making any waves, but we also have no idea what Innistrad will bring to the table so I can't speculate at all there. If you have like 25+ mythic WCs though who cares about burning 4 on him, the odds of needing more than a handful of mythics for a deck is pretty low.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jumpstart Horizons loving sucks as a format.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Crackbone posted:

This was very obvious. Jumpstart is for players that haven't even dipped their toes in to prereleases as far as limited goes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also thank you to all you pedants who couldn't see a joke if it slapped them in the face for reminding everyone that the A in bread isn't for ample lol.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Jumpstart Horizons sucks but it is better than Jumpstart Alpha because at least each deck can win on its own

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Crackbone posted:

i've heard this as well. have also heard that touching wet paint will get some of it on your fingers

Aranan posted:

The B stands for BEST CARDS which is all you really need, so BREAD becomes B

yup

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also thank you to all you pedants who couldn't see a joke if it slapped them in the face for reminding everyone that the A in bread isn't for ample lol.
jokes are supposed to be funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

510rems
Mar 26, 2010
original jumpstart and jhh are really fun actually