Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nashira posted:

just played FFX-2 for the first time, it was so amazing. Not sure why it got such a bad rap back then, it was a good follow-up to FFX.

I wonder how it would've been received today. Probably a bit more positive.

It was released when games were colorless and hyper-masculine for no reason and people were really into that poo poo. The most popular games were also proud to be 'not for girls' or whatever and appealed to only the most 13 year old of 13 year old boys. Gears of War and Call of Duty were, like, THE games and so a lot of people passed over it because it featured only FEMALE CHARACTERS. AND it wasn't grim as gently caress!!!!! Why would someone want to play that game??????? It was dark times for us all.

FFX-2 is one of the best job system iterations, if not THE best one in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
As a former 13 year old boy, i loved ffx-2 bc it was a bunch of hot women being hot in different costumes for 40 hours

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

X-2 is my favorite FF. It definitely frontloads its Charlie's Angels vibe but it's 30 hours of Yuna watching near helplessly as the peaceful world she worked so hard to build gets set back on fire.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I wanted to be a member of the Gullwings and go on fun adventures in magic outfits.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

jokes posted:

It was released when games were colorless and hyper-masculine for no reason and people were really into that poo poo. The most popular games were also proud to be 'not for girls' or whatever and appealed to only the most 13 year old of 13 year old boys. Gears of War and Call of Duty were, like, THE games and so a lot of people passed over it because it featured only FEMALE CHARACTERS. AND it wasn't grim as gently caress!!!!! Why would someone want to play that game??????? It was dark times for us all.

FFX-2 is one of the best job system iterations, if not THE best one in the series.

Now let's not try to rewrite history here. Was there some immature "ew girls" criticism of X-2? Sure, whatever. Was that the only reason people disliked X-2?Absolutely not.

1. It was the first real FF sequel. That alone made it have a significant uphill battle.

2. It was a sequel of the best FF game of all loving time. Expectations were through the roof as it was the first game sequel and a sequel to a game everybody adored with all their heart.

3. Apart from recycling environments and enemies, it changed everything. People purchase sequels because it's a sequel, it's supposed to be more of what you liked originally. X-2 has some characters in common but even then they are radically different from how they were last game, particularly Rikku. FFX was just as colorful as X-2 (duh) but people still loved it. Why? Because of its mature, emotional storytelling. X-2 has very little of that. It's not totally absent but X combined its beautiful, tropical, sunny aesthetic with the darkest, most bleak atmosphere in FF history. Then X-2 came along and Yuna is dancing and giggling and everything is silliness. It is complete tonal whiplash.. People don't like that poo poo.

Speaking of changing everything, it changed the best battle system in FF history for no loving reason.

The soundtrack has a handful of gems but is not even in the same galaxy as X's.

And so-on.

I really don't know what Square was thinking. "We made this perfect game in FFX and everybody loved it so how about we chuck everything people loved about it in the trash when we make a sequel?"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Now let's not try to rewrite history here.

2. It was a sequel of the best FF game of all loving time

look, i get you like ffx but in 2000 ff7 was absolutely still popularly considered the best ff so these two statements are incongruous

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

look, i get you like ffx but in 2000 ff7 was absolutely still popularly considered the best ff so these two statements are incongruous

That's fair, sorry for my hyperbole. But best FF or not, FFX was, so far as I can tell, considered an instant classic from its release. Reviewed great, sold great, just majorly beloved everywhere.

So FFX-2 had a huge shadow cast over it from the beginning. Mile high expectations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Is it just me or did a lot of games in the late 90s/early 2000s have a tropical setting. I feel like that was a thing for a bit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I appreciate eclectic settings in video games. Yeah it’s fun to gently caress up skellingtons in a castle but it’s also fun to fight hosed up crab monsters on the beach or robots in a fsctory or whatever. Or when they get real weird with it like FF4’s moon.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

X-2 reviewed very well critically when it released. It would of course; even in 2003 a AAA game would have to be irredeemable garbage to score lower than a 7. Reader reviews ran the gamut and it's a fun nostalgia trip to read 18 year old game reviews. This quote is a fun look at the pre-FF13 world (from a negative GameFAQS review of X-2):

quote:

The CG is a little better than its predecessor. But nothing that impresses, and there should be, considering the time gap between the two.

The time gap between the US releases of X and X-2 is less than two years.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

3. Apart from recycling environments and enemies, it changed everything. People purchase sequels because it's a sequel, it's supposed to be more of what you liked originally. X-2 has some characters in common but even then they are radically different from how they were last game, particularly Rikku. FFX was just as colorful as X-2 (duh) but people still loved it. Why? Because of its mature, emotional storytelling. X-2 has very little of that. It's not totally absent but X combined its beautiful, tropical, sunny aesthetic with the darkest, most bleak atmosphere in FF history. Then X-2 came along and Yuna is dancing and giggling and everything is silliness. It is complete tonal whiplash.. People don't like that poo poo.

FFX ended with Yuna's ghost boyfriend going away and her being able to grow and move on with live.

FFX-2 is a literal 180 on any sort of growth she had without Tidus.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFX ended with Yuna's ghost boyfriend going away and her being able to grow and move on with live.

FFX-2 is a literal 180 on any sort of growth she had without Tidus.

Wrong. In fact her whole deal is she's finally out of her old shell and able to express herself and put her wants and needs before others which was a huge part of her arc in the first game. Her wanting her boyfriend back is also following the first game because the entire deal is Tidus kept his sacrifice a secret from everyone because he knew they'd try to do for him what they did for Yuna so she got blind sided by it like everyone else. She's mad as hell and will let people know and it owns.

On top of htat she actively dunks on everyone in the world trying to bury old secrets and sacrifice themselves and brings the whole of Spira kicking and screaming out into the light of day by forcing everyone to actually fix the mistakes of the past not just accept them. Which is why the Fayth does her a solid and fixes the mistake/self sacrifice in her past.

I really recommend playing X-2 again if you haven't in a while because the whole idea of her just sitting there pining for Tidus is....not what happens in that game at all. You get a scene a chapter maybe of her thinking about him and most of hte time it's just her getting mad about him hiding that poo poo or "WHO THE HELL IS LENNE!!" which...follows her development she got and it's good.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 28, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like the tonal shift because it was cool to see the people in FFX learn to just be free and just live life after the Catholics got ousted. It would be really weird if the world stayed the same bleak and miserable place now that the existential crisis that hung over their heads for a thousand years was over. Yuna deserved to be giggly and goofy

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Tidus also was very adamant that Sin should be defeated without anyone having to sacrifice their life, so Yuna being pretty upset that Tidus sacrificed his life and wanting him back makes perfect sense, it's not an "Oh no I can't live without my boyfriend" thing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

X-2 is one of the few games I think that the normal ending is better than the golden one. Well normal+ I guess. If you qualify for the good ending the Fayth asks Yuna if she wants them to remake Tidus to which you can say no, things are better the way they are. That's imo a vindication of both Yuna's growth and the theme of the whole story, where memories of the past are best left there.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im glad the fayth do yuna a solid for the best ending

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SettingSun posted:

X-2 is one of the few games I think that the normal ending is better than the golden one. Well normal+ I guess. If you qualify for the good ending the Fayth asks Yuna if she wants them to remake Tidus to which you can say no, things are better the way they are. That's imo a vindication of both Yuna's growth and the theme of the whole story, where memories of the past are best left there.

yuna deserves to get laid, actually

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I roleplay in all my final fantasy games so Yuna getting Tidus back in X-2 breaks my immersion because I only ever use each summon once just to see what they do

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Is it just me or did a lot of games in the late 90s/early 2000s have a tropical setting. I feel like that was a thing for a bit.

I think it was one of those things that by the late PS1/PS2/Gamecube era the graphical tech had finally gotten good enough to render nice-looking water and everyone wanted to show it off.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HD DAD posted:

Chrono Cross, FFX, Baten Kaitos has a very colorful world, too.

Is there any JRPG that is actually the stereotype of 'everything is grey"?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's my take: Tidus was actually a shitbag who wanted to hit it and quit it, and "oh I'm actually a dream and I'm going to disappear" was just the best way out he could think of. Yeah right fuckboy.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hello I'm from the Chaos Preservation Society am I in the right place to discuss the protection of Chaos?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Songbearer posted:

Hello I'm from the Chaos Preservation Society am I in the right place to discuss the protection of Chaos?

:mods:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Booky posted:

im glad the fayth do yuna a solid for the best ending

It's a real great moment because if you 100% the game you actively do everything you can not to just make the world a better place but to actually mend old wounds in both history and people's personal lives and in gratitude the world itself, through the fayth, does the same for Yuna. It's a genuinely touching and beautiful ending that follows through on all of Yuna's development AND Your and the Gullwing's effort to make the world a better place. Saying No at the last minute rejects what all this is about. It's not about learning to live with the pain and finding a way forward. That's old Spira poo poo. New Spira, and New Yuna is about Fixing Problems, Having Fun, and the friends we made along the way. It's a total rejection of the oppressive somberness that covered all of Spira in FFX. Yes it's a little selfish, but X-2 is about how everyone deserves happiness and a little selfishness now and then (See Yuna turning the Zanarkand Ruins from Historical Tourist Site to unapproachable Monkey Nightmare just so tourist wouldn't go stomping around her precious memories.) People just read it as a "Oh no I can't live without my boyfriend" twist at the end. It's sad. It is such a great capstone to everything that game builds up and is about and honestly the sequel in Last Mission is a neat little bow on the interpersonal stuff going on between the gullwings themselves that finalizes it all.

X/X-2 are together one amazing story.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 28, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NikkolasKing posted:

FFXII got fairly... well, perhaps 'drab' is the wrong word, but much of its art design let a single color dominate an area rather than have a diverse color palette. And when a fair amount of those areas wound up being predominantly yellows, browns and greys, it can feel like it's part of that trend.

For the most part Japanese games didn't really end up being part of the 'everything is grey' vibe. In the PS2 era that was mostly western military shooters (sci-fi tended to be more colorful, I'd say Halo might be to thank for that), and only REALLY started dominating when the PS3 era hit and western developers especially realized that early HD was better at lighting and texture quality than it was at color vibrancy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Songbearer posted:

I'm okay with chaos from Xenosaga.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's my take: Tidus was actually a shitbag who wanted to hit it and quit it, and "oh I'm actually a dream and I'm going to disappear" was just the best way out he could think of. Yeah right fuckboy.
"drat, my ex won't stop re-writing reality to get back together with me. Better go kick an exploding Blitzball head."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah FFXII is not done any favors in the color department by having a large portion of its areas (especially the opening areas) being desert making them mostly brown, and a bunch of later areas being ruins and mines which are mostly grey/black.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm okay with chaos from Xenosaga.

Nobody should be OK with anyone from Xenosaga.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fister Roboto posted:

Nobody should be OK with anyone from Xenosaga.

Shion is the Worst (tm), but a lot of the crew are actually ok.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shion is the Worst (tm), but a lot of the crew are actually ok.

It runs in the family because Jin is a huge moron too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

And Citan is a manipulative rear end in a top hat.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Now let's not try to rewrite history here. Was there some immature "ew girls" criticism of X-2? Sure, whatever. Was that the only reason people disliked X-2?Absolutely not.

1. It was the first real FF sequel. That alone made it have a significant uphill battle.

2. It was a sequel of the best FF game of all loving time. Expectations were through the roof as it was the first game sequel and a sequel to a game everybody adored with all their heart.

Speaking of changing everything, it changed the best battle system in FF history for no loving reason.

The soundtrack has a handful of gems but is not even in the same galaxy as X's.

And so-on.

I really don't know what Square was thinking. "We made this perfect game in FFX and everybody loved it so how about we chuck everything people loved about it in the trash when we make a sequel?"

X-2 is really amazing, it's on par with the Star Wars prequels for how it makes people rage years after release.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think it was absolutely necessary, but what doesn't help first impressions is the time spent establishing a "new normal" before the plot elements come up. Even the small hints they have to Vegnagun and everything surrounding that are lost in the encouragement to visit everywhere and get involved in all the side distractions. At first glance X-2 comes off as shallower than it actually is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

While we are reviewing 20 year old games

I think what really hurt X-2 for a lot of first time players is the sidequest stuff is not clear at ALL and almost all permanently missable. You’ll follow the main story along then go visit some areas and suddenly you’re locked out of stuff for the entire rest of the game

It’s obviously meant to be replayed but it’s absolutely not clear how much you can miss first time

Nashira
Jan 18, 2020

HD DAD posted:

I assumed it was because Square opened up their office in Hawaii until Spirits Within bombed so hard they had to close everything down.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
The FF4PR Battle Theme II might be my new favorite thing. Holy poo poo.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Suikoden was tropical too, ocean themed anyway

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

Type-0

gigglefeimer posted:

X-2 is really amazing, it's on par with the Star Wars prequels for how it makes people rage years after release.

Except X-2 is actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I seem to remember Lost Odyssey being pretty grey too but it's been a while