Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Timby posted:

Scotty is said to be 147 in Relics, I think.

Didn't he spend half that time in a pattern buffer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The new Titmouse tee is great. :3:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The_Doctor posted:

The new Titmouse tee is great. :3:

noooooo why is it US and canada only....

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 38 hours!)

Actually seeing more shots of the neutral white lighting, it does look better. Not as harsh as I first thought.

It does look like it could just be color grading and some bloom or something, I don't have the eye to tell properly.

I'm semi-hopeful strange new worlds turns out all right. I hope they feel like they've covered their serialised action bases with Disco and Picard and intentionally have this be episodic and lighter on action. Otherwise, I don't see the point in the show existing.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 27, 2021

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

Actually, going on a bit about the bridge lighting, I looked up some more and saw photos of filming, and

photo

screenshot

Are they bluifying the whole thing in post for some reason?

God, yeah, this is them shooting the one I posted above:

Why? Good grief it looks so much better pre-processed.

Beautiful set though. Big step up from Discovery, and puts whatever Rios' ship was to absolute shame.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

roomtone posted:

Actually seeing more shots of the neutral white lighting, it does look better. Not as harsh as I first thought.

It does look like it could just be color grading and some bloom or something, I don't have the eye to tell properly.

Yeah they're losing all the colour range in the processing too. Look how much better the rear displays are in that blue/green instead of all the lights being uniformly blue.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All good points but how else are we supposed to know it’s futuristic and cool if everything isn’t bathed in an edgy blue light? :confused:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Actually, going on a bit about the bridge lighting, I looked up some more and saw photos of filming, and

photo

screenshot

This looks really, really bad and nothing like the bridge of a starship. Also, lmao at that stupid bowl cut. Why? WHY?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

GABA ghoul posted:

This looks really, really bad and nothing like the bridge of a starship. Also, lmao at that stupid bowl cut. Why? WHY?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A bowl cut is the most logical of haircuts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Maybe when she says she's served on five ships one of them was Defiant at DS9.

I haven't watched it a second time yet to verify but I feel like in the dialogue she was counting DS9 as a "ship" and maybe just using "ships" as shorthand for "postings"

I guess DS9 is kind of a ship. It did move that one time

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am expecting there to be a joke where Mariner says something offhand about turning 35 or something and the others are confused because they thought she was the same age as them.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

The Bloop posted:

Lost it at the perfect comic timing of he works in a thieves' den in that pirate base

Also the out-of-nowhere background non-sequitur in Rutherford's freakout with multiple Shaxes - "What's the deal with T'pol's hair in season 3?" or whatever it was

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Two Owls posted:

Also the out-of-nowhere background non-sequitur in Rutherford's freakout with multiple Shaxes - "What's the deal with T'pol's hair in season 3?" or whatever it was

I really need to rewatch the episode with CC on so I can find out all of what Shax says in that scene and in the turbolift.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The captions only add one more line and it's the fighting fathers one someone posted above

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Technowolf posted:

I really need to rewatch the episode with CC on so I can find out all of what Shax says in that scene and in the turbolift.

"And then... Oh, wait, you do know about the black mountain, right?"
"Uh, the what now?"
"The black mountain is a spiritual battleground your soul goes to where you have to fight three faceless apparitions of your father. The surviving father makes you eat your heart..."

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

photo

screenshot

Man I wish they wouldn't do the blue. Blue LEDs are at least old enough to drink. How are they still supposed to be "futuristic"? It's been done to death.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

These screenshots are all from Discovery, right? I wonder if they slapped the blue on there to make the Enterprise fit that show’s aesthetic and won’t be doing it in Strange New Worlds.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

blastron posted:

These screenshots are all from Discovery, right? I wonder if they slapped the blue on there to make the Enterprise fit that show’s aesthetic and won’t be doing it in Strange New Worlds.

that is my hope - i think it’s probable the show’s look is at least slightly tweaked from the disco appearances if only to have a unique visual identity

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The brightly lit one I can pretend is the same Bridge Kirk captains from 20 years later.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That joke about senior officers randomly coming back from the dead was pretty funny.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

My favorite joke that nobody's brought up yet is that they spent a good solid thirty seconds of runtime hammering in "YES, THRESHOLD IS CANON, TOM PARIS BROKE THE TRANSWARP BARRIER AND TURNED INTO A LIZARD". Easily the best part of the whole "turns out Boimler is a huge Voyager fan" bit, although "yeah I call it VOY, saves time" is a close second.

I want them to talk about the NX-01 at some point so I can find out if Boimler calls it ENT.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wasn't it Ransom that mentioned TOS last season? Those Old Scientists or something was his justification for saying it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't understand the thing about Orions. Tandy is a green lady right? I don't get how she's different.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't understand the thing about Orions. Tandy is a green lady right? I don't get how she's different.

The Orions were/are one of the bad guys in the prior Star Trek and they still somehow are acceptable recruits for the Starfleet. Earlier their society had no redeeming factors whatsoever since they were pro-slavery, kidnapped people from colonies and stole stuff from bases and fleetyards that were inadequately protected.

They haven't been the slaver pirates for over five years when the LDS takes place, so yeah.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Der Kyhe posted:

They haven't been the slaver pirates for over five years when the LDS takes place, so yeah.

Some haven’t been pirates for over five years.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They were sexy green slave women but then ENT "explained" that they were actually a matriarchal society where the women ruled by powerful sexy pheromones and the whole slave women thing was a put-on for outsiders or something

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So is Tendi a pirate?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ex pirate

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Aces High posted:

Wasn't it Ransom that mentioned TOS last season? Those Old Scientists or something was his justification for saying it

Both times that someone uses a fan abbreviation, another crewman agrees it's good. I have a feeling that when someone breaks out "DS9", the explanation will have nothing to do with the stations name.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Both times that someone uses a fan abbreviation, another crewman agrees it's good. I have a feeling that when someone breaks out "DS9", the explanation will have nothing to do with the stations name.

They said "DS9" on DS9 though, didn't they?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

MikeJF posted:

T'Ana has a tail!

This shot makes me wonder if Cerritos can just pop off the nacelles and engineering and leave the pylons with the saucer and have a tiny super-fast warp ship.

WHEEEE

You recreated the courier warp ship Spock used from Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
Nice.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Doctor T'Ana is the best
https://i.imgur.com/80vjYrn.mp4

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

...huh. Boimler was humming Voyager's theme song.

Do the ships actually have theme songs in-universe?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Brawnfire posted:

I mean why not? I can imagine that the whole "Space, the final frontier..." thing is the ceremonial first log a captain makes for a new ship. And the Federation seems like the kind of place that would commission an orchestral piece for the launch of a ship (or maybe each class of ship.)

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

The Bloop posted:

They said "DS9" on DS9 though, didn't they?

They did, but I can see Boimler or someone having their own, personal expansion of the acronym.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

8one6 posted:

I mean why not? I can imagine that the whole "Space, the final frontier..." thing is the ceremonial first log a captain makes for a new ship. And the Federation seems like the kind of place that would commission an orchestral piece for the launch of a ship (or maybe each class of ship.)

You could have the ship's theme play for whoever you're hailing while they're on hold/mute

Tomalak bops his head a little, he digs the Enterprise-D theme even if he won't admit it

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

literally the best

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

She looks so happy in the last shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Brawnfire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JSp0BJ49hg