Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Pokemon unite but all chat wheel options are "stop rushing t2 goals please"

This is true but also sometimes there are moments when the path is clear and there’s nothing better than slamming a 40 point goal into their T3 goal with like 3 minutes to go and immediately being met with “The opposing team has surrendered”, but for every one of those there’s like 50 instances of me and two other people destroying the first goal and I turn around while the other two push forward and I’m just like “have fun dying”

i know that surrendering takes longer than that but it happened once and I laughed my rear end off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

After buying and trying out Wigglytuff in ranked, now I’m tempted to switch from a Talonflame main to a Wigglytuff main…

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Chadrizard is an amazing username

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sick of spamming headed to center area when zapdos spawns and my team just fucks around in lane. Done with game. :sadwave:

Shame because the mechanics and characters are cool but yea, Zapdos + dumb kids being dumb ruins this.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Love when my team is so bad that even after stealing a Zapdos kill we fail to capitalize on it and instead get crushed 345-812.

Though to be fair I sucked rear end that game.

e: Had another game where neither team went center, so I basically took both jungles for myself. As Wigglytuff.

Weird game, but won decisively and even got MVP so it’s cool.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 28, 2021

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Avalerion posted:

Sick of spamming headed to center area when zapdos spawns and my team just fucks around in lane. Done with game. :sadwave:

Shame because the mechanics and characters are cool but yea, Zapdos + dumb kids being dumb ruins this.

Hey you forgot to factor in us grown adults who main Talonflame and are too scared to go into the Zapdos killbox where they'll be torn apart :colbert:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I honestly get more mad at no help with drednaw over Zapados. Especially if I see others in the bottom lane running past me towards the second goal

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Whoever mentioned trying flail with Lax now wasn't kidding. They buffed it to make Ground pound less attractive, but now it's fricken bonkers. I one-shot slapped an ivysaur dead from 50% health. Toot toot, freight train coming through! :toot:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I truly can’t believe how many clueless players there are even at expert rank, like you’re in a 2v1 situation and they’ll run away at mid fight full health to leave you to die

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

indigi posted:

I truly can’t believe how many clueless players there are even at expert rank, like you’re in a 2v1 situation and they’ll run away at mid fight full health to leave you to die

Lol happened to me a bunch last night

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

indigi posted:

It may be a dumb waste of time depending on when and where the fight is happening

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

indigi posted:

I'll run from a 2v1 if ut starts getting towards several bushes or their second goal and I can't see the rest of the enemy team on the minimap somewhere

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I leave a lot of teammates to die when they insist on forever engagements with the opposing team. Like, neither of us have any points to dunk, and the lane mobs are back, just choke them out of their mob grind and we'll be fine. No? Just gonna keep running into them? Okay, you do you.

That or the opposing team is obviously heading to our T2 goal and instead of defending the point, they'll run ahead to engage them halfway down the lane. Dood, they're coming to the point, fight them where we have the advantage. No? Just gonna die in a 1v3+rotom. I uh.. don't see how that's helping. Seems more like purposely feeding the enemy team.

That said, I'm seeing more competence even in non-ranked matches. Alot more pubbies pushing the mid lane mobs right at the start, bigger fights on Dreadmaw, and more people using pings to coordinate. I personally can never hit the "headed to bottom lane" ping, it always flicks to a different one when I let go. I try to check players trainer cards during the game load to see if they're still in default clothes, it's usually a good indicator of how newbie I can expect them to be.

This game needs a berry at the spawn that resets your abilities. 1 time per player per match. It's would allow for a switch up in early/late game meta, and it's not out of line with regular MOBAs.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

War Wizard posted:

I personally can never hit the "headed to bottom lane" ping, it always flicks to a different one when I let go.

The game has weird dead zone issues where if you flick the stick it will often hit the rebound and send you in the exact opposite direction, which has gotten me killed by making me dash/eject the wrong way and made me mad very often until I realized what was going on. I've managed to mitigate it by making absolutely sure not to let go of the stick before pushing the button, but the callouts only activate by releasing the stick so it's very hard to reliably use the one you want

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Might be stick drift, I was having issues with the right stick until I started using my 8BitDo pro instead.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mega64 posted:

Might be stick drift, I was having issues with the right stick until I started using my 8BitDo pro instead.

Nah Im already using my 8bitdo. It's explicitly when I do quick flicks and I can replicate the issue pretty easily

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
For pinging dread, use the map ping, it's way easier.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I dont know how to ping. I bring up the quick chat menu by mistake everytime

But I'm up to expert class 5!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

I dont know how to ping. I bring up the quick chat menu by mistake everytime

But I'm up to expert class 5!

use the - key to bring up the map, move the cursor with the right stick, ping on an item with A

It sounds harder but it's more accurate and easier.

also if you have a five man stack you get put with five stacks of any skill, so it's possible (and likely) get put with five man ultra/master stacks even if you are low level? What?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

War Wizard posted:

That said, I'm seeing more competence even in non-ranked matches. Alot more pubbies pushing the mid lane mobs right at the start, bigger fights on Dreadmaw, and more people using pings to coordinate. I personally can never hit the "headed to bottom lane" ping, it always flicks to a different one when I let go. I try to check players trainer cards during the game load to see if they're still in default clothes, it's usually a good indicator of how newbie I can expect them to be.

I feel like I’ve gotten a pretty good handle on the game, floating in and out of expert rank and have a pretty reliable Talonflame strategy. But I can’t find the option to edit the trainer card for the life of me. There are so many different menus in this game.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Portrait icon in the top left (L button) goes to trainer info screen. The push X at the profile section to edit, and X again while editing to update fashion.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Ok, Stealth Rock, Shell Smash on Crustle is sooooo much fun. The short cool down on Shell Smash makes him seem so fast, farming creep is faster, stealing opponents creep is easy and can level up pretty quickly. It's a nice change from my usual Ninetales adventures.

My execution isn't as clean as aDrive's in this video, but it's a great example of how OP he can be.

https://youtu.be/aMQz1VkaHMQ

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

You said "I want top"

But you stole Ludicolo

Then skipped back to lane

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

The arrow points top

But four of you have gone there

maybe try bot lane

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I had a really bad night last night and it kinda bummed me out especially because I was sucking as Crustle and I thought I had been developing as him

Tonight was much better, including a game where I straight up got MVP as Crustle because of a last second max goal and some key KOs. That one was especially sweet because it was the third in a series of games where people had been voting to surrender with like 3 minutes left while we were barely down because of a few lost Dreadnaws but I killed Zapdos, got a 100 point goal and warped back to base in time to put the death blow on an Absol in the last seconds. We won that by 150 and I wish i could have yelled at the people who thought we should have surrendered

And now my 14 day gifts end on Blastoise day so I’ll probably have enough coins to pick him up as long as he doesn’t suck

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just had a ridiculous game in which the bot lane fed me as Garchomp and the level lead turned me into a complete MONSTER. I was eating fools 1v3 and never even went back to heal.

Felt good after all the games in which the opposite was truth. Garchomp supremacy!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

War Wizard posted:

Portrait icon in the top left (L button) goes to trainer info screen. The push X at the profile section to edit, and X again while editing to update fashion.

Finally yes, thank you! Now everyone can know I have style.

The lack of information this game gives you is kind of jarring? I’ve had to go to Reddit to learn how a lot of the mechanics work.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

TheHan posted:

The lack of information this game gives you is kind of jarring? I’ve had to go to Reddit to learn how a lot of the mechanics work.

Ive had complaints about dota in the past where it's like "I cant believe they dont list Talents on the hero page and I have to go look at dotabuff or wikia to figure out what they are" but Unite is INSANE. The Zapdos damage penalty? Unreal

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

bees are important

and im glad that you're farming

but they're at zapdos

e: Is there an updated Item Build guide that anyone follows? I'd like to know where the top tier players came down on Energy Amplifier, and whether or not Assault Vest is actually seeing use now. The game's only been out a month or two and the item builds have changed like four times in that span of time. Not to belabor a point, but it would be a lot easier to keep up with if there wasn't so much hidden information. I remember people thought Float Stone was the hands-down best item until they figured out the passive takes so long to kick in and that Pokemon base movespeed was like 3500+ so the base 80 movespeed was almost worthless. Assault Vest and Rocky Helmet and Shell Bell were popular too until the cooldown info was discovered, but maybe they've stealth-buffed them since then? It's so hard to tell whether any of the recommended item builds I find on the internet are A.) out of date, B.) wrong because they don't factor in hidden information, C.) correct because they're factoring in new hidden information that *I* don't know, or C.) just plain wrong.

I paid to win ($20 at least) so I've got almost all the items at 20 now, but it was frustrating when they'd change each week to something I didn't have any levels in. I'm about to finish my Score Shield finally, hopefully it'll last for more than a day or two before they decide the Aeos Cookie that I haven't even bought is actually best-in-slot for half the roster.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 31, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This is week-old info but in Japan it's Energy Amp/Buddy Barrier on every character and then third slot, from the player I saw, was Score Shield, and it took them getting a game-winning goal that they would not have gotten had they been interrupted two games in a row for me to decide that they're probably right about that slot.

Granted, in non-Japan regions, games are not nearly as close and every game is pretty much a shutout and in that case the Score Shield is less bang for your buck, but it's still a great item to have leveled if you're climbing ranked. I've posted the math on Attack Weight and I really like it, I run Attack Weight BB/EA and play Cinderace/Machamp and have 1v4d enough Zapdos fights to feel good about my investment

Havent played for like two weeks but I think maybe this week I'll try climbing to Masters, I'm Ultra 3

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Phenotype posted:

bees are important

and im glad that you're farming

but they're at zapdos

Lmao

Phenotype posted:

e: Is there an updated Item Build guide that anyone follows? I'd like to know where the top tier players came down on Energy Amplifier, and whether or not Assault Vest is actually seeing use now. is actually best-in-slot for half the roster.

In the "give item" screen you can press Y to see what other players are using.
I only use assault vest with snorlax because his heath pool is large enough, but it still only blocks like 1 sp attack, and I die from basic attacks with a full shield fooling me into thinking I can still take a hit. The Score shield is necessary for slower goal-getters. You get Health, XP when you score, and you're invincible during the animation. I've tanked on point by repeatedly scoring while being attacked.

Personally I go with the focus band. 42% of my health back when health is critical, sure! It regularly saves my rear end when falling back.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Boywunda posted:

Ok, Stealth Rock, Shell Smash on Crustle is sooooo much fun. The short cool down on Shell Smash makes him seem so fast, farming creep is faster, stealing opponents creep is easy and can level up pretty quickly. It's a nice change from my usual Ninetales adventures.

My execution isn't as clean as aDrive's in this video, but it's a great example of how OP he can be.

https://youtu.be/aMQz1VkaHMQ

I've been fiddling with this. I feel like Crustle is interesting, I'm just not quite there with him yet, but I'm enjoying the change from using a glass cannon. With Crustle you just can't die.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Honestly the thing I most want out of this game is an outfit for Cramorant where he wears a little sailor hat.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I wouldn't put almost any stock in trying to replicate that Crustle video. He got put 1v1 vs maybe the worst 1v1 early laner in the game and just snowballed because of the level advantage. This is exactly the sort of reason you run 2v2 lanes with your hard-scale carry in MOBAS, because if the enemy picks someone who spikes early you're just going to get run over. I think that game would have panned out the same or even been more of a stomp if he were a different character - Ninetails would have dominated pretty hard, Mr. Mime, or even Snorlax. His skill build is also super dependent on how ahead he was, too - I would never suggest Shell Smash over Rock Tomb unless you're way ahead in levels which leads to you being able to auto people down like he was. Hell, I don't even really like Stealth Rocks and much prefer X-Scissor. Lastly, he mentions in the video he got a bug after getting his ult cancelled by Wigglytuff that meant he was always surrounded by the damaging part of his ult, which is uh, a pretty major bug, and is a huge reason why you would bother to take Shell Smash at all, if you were counting on dealing constant AoE damage around yourself. The conditions to replicate that video are so specific, as opposed to like, just picking Cinderace and dumpstering every game because your hero is overtuned

My Crustle experience is to just play him like Snorlax - Rock Tomb keeps enemies boxed away from important zones and stops them from running away from a lost fight, and you have an aoe stun that lasts a long time if you get off a wallbang, which is easy because they're everywhere and you can also make them with Tomb

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I wouldn't put almost any stock in trying to replicate that Crustle video. He got put 1v1 vs maybe the worst 1v1 early laner in the game and just snowballed because of the level advantage. This is exactly the sort of reason you run 2v2 lanes with your hard-scale carry in MOBAS, because if the enemy picks someone who spikes early you're just going to get run over. I think that game would have panned out the same or even been more of a stomp if he were a different character - Ninetails would have dominated pretty hard, Mr. Mime, or even Snorlax. His skill build is also super dependent on how ahead he was, too - I would never suggest Shell Smash over Rock Tomb unless you're way ahead in levels which leads to you being able to auto people down like he was. Hell, I don't even really like Stealth Rocks and much prefer X-Scissor. Lastly, he mentions in the video he got a bug after getting his ult cancelled by Wigglytuff that meant he was always surrounded by the damaging part of his ult, which is uh, a pretty major bug, and is a huge reason why you would bother to take Shell Smash at all, if you were counting on dealing constant AoE damage around yourself. The conditions to replicate that video are so specific, as opposed to like, just picking Cinderace and dumpstering every game because your hero is overtuned

My Crustle experience is to just play him like Snorlax - Rock Tomb keeps enemies boxed away from important zones and stops them from running away from a lost fight, and you have an aoe stun that lasts a long time if you get off a wallbang, which is easy because they're everywhere and you can also make them with Tomb

I played a few with both. Rock Tomb falls off since most pokemen have a dash/jump late game and the wall only blocks you from getting to them. Also it's a pain to play around. I'll try Rock Tomb with Xscissor a bit in unranked and see how it goes.

I do like Shell Smash and Stealth Rock w/ fluffy tail since you can farm super fast, and with fluffy tail it's easier to steal their farm and invade their jungle. I usually get one or two enemies to follow me around (just not absol with his backstab crit) and I keep zipping with smash and it makes them lose time while I run around.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I haven't been playing this in ranked. Just some standard random and quick play matches. I agree that Crustle's best role is how you describe, to section off opponents. I was just saying that it's been fun to play around as a little speedster and stealing opponents farm. Plus when using scope lens, the crits that Stealth Rock produce is really nice, and taking Dred with Fluffy is quick. With the right teammates, I could see myself maybe using Crustle in ranked matches.

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 1, 2021

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Boywunda posted:

I haven't been playing this in ranked. Just some standard random and quick play matches. I agree that Crustle's best role is how you describe, to section off opponents. I was just saying that it's been fun to play around as a little speedster and stealing opponents farm.

You really gotta do Ranked for a proper test. I play mostly Standard matches, and I dunno what the matchmaking is supposed to be like, but I had my eyes opened pretty wide the other night. I had a few games where my other teammates were all Ultra or Master (I think, their loading screen borders all had that little flap on the top right) and the level of play was just way, way better than I'm generally used to. I could hang, but I was surprised at how some of the 1v1s and small fights that I thought I'd win went against me. You do a lot of subconscious judging of power levels in MOBAs, and it turns out my internal judge had gotten a bunch of bad lessons playing against bad players -- like hey, this Cinderace is actually able to kill me if he dodges a bit and stands to fight, even though I'd played out similar encounters against bad players where I always won. Or hey, Eldegoss is actually not nearly as good at combat if the enemy rushes you down and doesn't let you poke away at them with autos. I also got ambushed a couple times by 4-5 people sitting in a bush -- I'd be looking out for that sort of thing in League of Legends, but in this game I don't think I've ever seen a full team where everyone actually knew what they were doing enough to lay traps like that.

I've always been aware that there's a difference between high level and low level play, but I've never seen it so distinctly. Any advice I've ever given should be taken with a big grain of salt, because I'm gonna have to do a lot of recalibrating (and probably buckle down at Ranked so I can play real games like that more consistently.)

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Phenotype posted:

You really gotta do Ranked for a proper test. I play mostly Standard matches, and I dunno what the matchmaking is supposed to be like, but I had my eyes opened pretty wide the other night. I had a few games where my other teammates were all Ultra or Master (I think, their loading screen borders all had that little flap on the top right) and the level of play was just way, way better than I'm generally used to. I could hang, but I was surprised at how some of the 1v1s and small fights that I thought I'd win went against me. You do a lot of subconscious judging of power levels in MOBAs, and it turns out my internal judge had gotten a bunch of bad lessons playing against bad players -- like hey, this Cinderace is actually able to kill me if he dodges a bit and stands to fight, even though I'd played out similar encounters against bad players where I always won. Or hey, Eldegoss is actually not nearly as good at combat if the enemy rushes you down and doesn't let you poke away at them with autos. I also got ambushed a couple times by 4-5 people sitting in a bush -- I'd be looking out for that sort of thing in League of Legends, but in this game I don't think I've ever seen a full team where everyone actually knew what they were doing enough to lay traps like that.

I've always been aware that there's a difference between high level and low level play, but I've never seen it so distinctly. Any advice I've ever given should be taken with a big grain of salt, because I'm gonna have to do a lot of recalibrating (and probably buckle down at Ranked so I can play real games like that more consistently.)

I play a lot of ranked as Ninetales (occasional Snorlax or Lucario) just haven't done this specific Crustle build in ranked yet. I find it's very team dependent. Like if your team is expecting you to actually be a defender, then the Rock Tomb and X-Scissor build is probably better. But if you can get away with being the little speedster farm stealing goal scorer, then do that. I'm just not super good at Crustle yet to be comfortable playing ranked with him yet.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I could play slow crustle, but i play games to have fun so it's always yakety sax bug time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Seriously, at low levels Stealth Rock is so good since no one knows what is happening.