Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

can't wait to buy skyrim for the 5th time

not joking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:same:

Kazzah posted:

If I remember right we had a Saints-Row-and-Skyrim subforum for a couple years. I mean it was like 95% Skyrim, but still.

beep by grandpa posted:

Third Street Skyrims Elder Saints the Fifth. Such a great name, more temp forums of extremely clashing tones/genres should be combined. That was such a good time.

November 2011 was pretty insane - Skyrim came out but I also think Uncharted 3, Sonic Generations and Saints Row 3 came out the same day, or close to it?

I'll never forget, I went to my local gamestop for the midnight release for saints, there were tons of ppl there and an employee was super upset cause he had preordered Jurassic Park, which also launched that day, but he was literally the only one to preorder it so weren't sent any copies lmbo

That was such a great time!!!

Peak games forum for a while until the PS goons reached full power

Even if u all do not share my intense Skyrim + Saints Row enthusiasm I still love and respect u all :love:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dog King posted:

The Saints have been purple in every game's trailer because that's their color. Are we misunderstanding each other here?

Ah, I thought you were bemoaning the fact that no-one in the trailer looked whacky like a randomise on the character creator (purple skin specifically is what I thought you meant). You said "why you were purple" while talking about uniqueness, so I didnt realise you meant "why the saints colours were purple".

But honestly in that case I dont understand this complaint:

Dog King posted:

That Saints Row trailer was so disappointing. The whole point of the series was being yourself and staying unique. It's why it went goofy when GTA was taking itself seriously, why you were purple, why you had such extensive character customization. Now there's this trailer that makes the new one look totally generic

Because I thought you meant "theres no whacky create a character in the main character slot!" (and my point was there never is, they usually do the trailers with one of the default bosses. I'm not going to check but I'd put money on it usually being "generic white guy" boss.) But the saints having purple as their colour isnt any more unique than the Ronin having yellow or the Sons having green, is it? And is the new cinematic trailer really any more generic than the CGI trailer for the third (reminder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxQsCNontmI), outside of Power being an undeniable tune?

Again, its a cinematic trailer, I dont expect anything in it to reflect anything in the actual game (in the same way that the scene in the Power trailer literally does not happen in saints row the third), but I am idly wondering about the lack of conspicuous purple* in the trailer, and the fact that no-one at any point during it uses the word "saint"; It seems likely to me that the saints will be founded during the game rather than being an established gang from the start, especially with the "We need these for our start up, its a criminal empire" line, unlike the original where you joined an established (if down at heel) gang and raised them up.

And yes, I am fully intending to overanalyse every piece of media that comes out related to saints row until the game comes out. Its probably my second favourite videogame franchise pf all time and I am setting myself up for MAJOR disappointment if it sucks. gently caress... I've just realised if there is a character customisation anything like as good as the previous games I could play through the whole game as kiryu just because.

*Its not like theres no purple. The motorbike guy and the guy with glasses have purple trim on some of his clothes, the neon cat face... okay, thats more pink than purple to me, but the bike has a purple gas tank. I think it stood out to me because I tend to make sure that every vehicle in my garage in a saints row game is royal purple and gold, and that my Boss is always wearing at least one conspicuous item of clothing in royal purple.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

SiKboy posted:

I tend to make sure that every vehicle in my garage in a saints row game is royal purple and gold, and that my Boss is always wearing at least one conspicuous item of clothing in royal purple.

poo poo, I do the same thing every time I go to LS Customs in GTA5. Candy purple paint, gold trim. Did it in SRTT too, nothing like driving around in a Saints-colored police cruiser with the sirens going - or a Deckers car in Saints colors. I hated that fucker the most.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Volition continues to try and pull a fast one on us by using industry buzzwords like 'reboot the franchise' and 'all new characters' to try and brush past the fact that this isn't a Saints Row game and they're lying to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfjH6lZrTas

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That gameplay looks very good and very Saints Row.

Really digging the look of the environments too.

e: yeah I have very few concerns now that I’ve seen this. I don’t know why they didn’t lead with this video but I get it.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 27, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah it definitely looks like a prequel in which the Saints are started.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

D34THROW posted:

poo poo, I do the same thing every time I go to LS Customs in GTA5. Candy purple paint, gold trim. Did it in SRTT too, nothing like driving around in a Saints-colored police cruiser with the sirens going - or a Deckers car in Saints colors. I hated that fucker the most.

Okay, not gonna lie, if you have to pick two colours and a logo for a livery in a game, I immediately hit purple and gold and start to scroll looking for a fler-de-lis. After all, who's to say X-com ARENT a fully owned Third Street Saints subsidiary?

RareAcumen posted:

Volition continues to try and pull a fast one on us by using industry buzzwords like 'reboot the franchise' and 'all new characters' to try and brush past the fact that this isn't a Saints Row game and they're lying to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfjH6lZrTas

I continue to be All About This. Saints logo spotted on a character jacket and in several tattoos. Hype level is not looking like its going to decrease any time soon.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Remember when, years ago, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was one of the PS plus free games? I just found that it's still in my library and downloaded it. I stopped playing very early on last time I played.

I remember why. The game is stodgy and overwrought. Any humor is sucked into the black hole of charisma that is Adam Jensen. Colors seem washed out making everything very bland and dark. The controls feel clunky and tank like. Does it get better once you leave Prague? I'm currently in Golem City and holy crap that place sucks. It's supposed to, but it really does suck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lucas Archer posted:

Remember when, years ago, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was one of the PS plus free games? I just found that it's still in my library and downloaded it. I stopped playing very early on last time I played.

I remember why. The game is stodgy and overwrought. Any humor is sucked into the black hole of charisma that is Adam Jensen. Colors seem washed out making everything very bland and dark. The controls feel clunky and tank like. Does it get better once you leave Prague? I'm currently in Golem City and holy crap that place sucks. It's supposed to, but it really does suck.

Yeah it’s pretty lame tbh, I couldn’t get into it at all. I tried playing it again after Cyberpunk and it was so bad by comparison. Also plays like poo poo on PS4.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

veni veni veni posted:

Saints Row 3 was a lot of fun despite me liking almost nothing about it on paper. The humor and style are loving terrible. That was the first one I tried. The fun driving, shooting and insane of amount of customization roped me in and I played the hell out of it. I thought 4 sucked. I much preferred driving around town and shooting poo poo to superpowers that made the whole world design redundant. Bought Gat out of Hell on accident thinking it was SR4 and found it borderline unplayable.

I also bought SR2 right after finishing 3 and while I trust people that say it's good, the gameplay was way too dated even at the time to be enjoyable imo. Just felt too crappy to play.

Enjoyed my time with 3 but I don't think I'm going to ever dip back into the series unless the 3 remaster is on sale for like $3.
SR2 is clunky and the graphics look like poo poo. What makes it great is the story, customization, and all the little details - stuff like the store names, NPC interaction, and plain dumb fun you can have. 3/4 were fun games but lacked those small details that made 2 so great. My friend and I still play it co-op when he visits, I have 2 PS3s and we'll go gently caress around in Stilwater for hours laughing like maniacs the whole time. Don't blame you for being put off by the gameplay but you really missed out.

e: name another game where you can play as an 80 year-old black woman who runs around naked with a traffic cone for a hat

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It gets better when you leave Prague since the game is over then I guess.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Wow I watched chunks of this (skipped all the dev/actress crap and tried to just look at gameplay) and this looks much, much better than the dull CG trailer led me to believe. Wish they showed this instead, or alongside it.

I'm not sold on the characters yet (they just come off as annoying redditor dorks to me) but honestly at this point I'm not sure yet how much of that is Volition changing directions & not hitting its mark, or if this is something that even appeals to me anymore since the last Saints Row game I loved came out literally 10 years ago which means I'm *counts fingers* 10 years older

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/IP9101-NPIA90005_01-PSPLUSDIS50OFF1Y/?dclid=CInqzKTF0vICFRT9YgodJNQL_Q

(Only if you don’t already have PS+)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 28, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ha my subscription literally ran out today and this worked for me. excellent, thank you for the heads up

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hate the modern marketing approach of only giving people a deal if they aren't currently giving your company money. Like, oh hey you've been consistently subbed to PS+ for almost 15 years lets never throw you a bone ever, in fact you are blocked from the promotions we run. Why would we ever reward you for being a loyal customer? In fact maybe you should cancel our service so you can get better deals.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Is there an FF7R thread anywhere? I know, a bit late to the party...

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

This is just an announcement trailer, the entire point is to have Saint's Row plastered on the end, not be a showcase of a vertical slice of gameplay.

Basically what I'm saying is don't base an entire game's....everything based on a single trailer....again. Like someone thinking there's no character customization simply because the boss wasn't a shifting amalgamation of faces and body types.

Though I will say I feel like we've been seeing a number of trailers that are 'quirky slightly psychotic group of characters doing mayhems' lately. Maybe I'm just thinking of one or two others.

No one thought it wouldn't have character customization, at least in this thread. And the reaction to it isn't just based on the trailer, it's also that interview Volition did, plus the new trailer now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Is there an FF7R thread anywhere? I know, a bit late to the party...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908393&pagenumber=1

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I hate the modern marketing approach of only giving people a deal if they aren't currently giving your company money. Like, oh hey you've been consistently subbed to PS+ for almost 15 years lets never throw you a bone ever, in fact you are blocked from the promotions we run. Why would we ever reward you for being a loyal customer? In fact maybe you should cancel our service so you can get better deals.

Agreed. I only get good deals with my carrier when my contract expires and I force them by first doing a pre-contract with another.

With PS+ I've been getting deals through Costco, better than what they give to existing subscribers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I love the increasingly obvious admittance that lots and lots of game devs go to Burning Man and Electric Daisy Carnival as more and more video games adopt the rave music and aesthetics. Personally I feel like every game from 1998 to 2014 looks exactly the loving same, a grey and brown corridor shooter, maybe some rain to mix it up, but everything just soaked in grit and homogeneous realism and it’s just boring as gently caress. Far Cry: New Dawn and RAGE2 started hinting at this stuff, Watch Dogs 2 was hinting at it, 2077 really owns it but Saint’s Row taking in place in what really appears to just be “Reno//Vegas” has me extremely excited. I haven’t been to Burning Man since 2016, and my last festival was in Ontario in 2018.

Neon-raver pink is my favorite color and dubstep and drum’n’bass are basically my favorite music (besides emo and metal, a lot of scene kids became ravers because their drugs are more fun and you still get to be sad but you dress nicer) so hopefully the new SR game has extremely robust radio stations. The radio stations in 2077, for example, have great music, but the whole soundtrack has less than 40-50 songs, so you can really hear everything the game has to offer after just a couple gaming sessions.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I love the increasingly obvious admittance that lots and lots of game devs go to Burning Man and Electric Daisy Carnival as more and more video games adopt the rave music and aesthetics. Personally I feel like every game from 1998 to 2014 looks exactly the loving same, a grey and brown corridor shooter, maybe some rain to mix it up, but everything just soaked in grit and homogeneous realism and it’s just boring as gently caress. Far Cry: New Dawn and RAGE2 started hinting at this stuff, Watch Dogs 2 was hinting at it, 2077 really owns it but Saint’s Row taking in place in what really appears to just be “Reno//Vegas” has me extremely excited. I haven’t been to Burning Man since 2016, and my last festival was in Ontario in 2018.

Neon-raver pink is my favorite color and dubstep and drum’n’bass are basically my favorite music (besides emo and metal, a lot of scene kids became ravers because their drugs are more fun and you still get to be sad but you dress nicer) so hopefully the new SR game has extremely robust radio stations. The radio stations in 2077, for example, have great music, but the whole soundtrack has less than 40-50 songs, so you can really hear everything the game has to offer after just a couple gaming sessions.

everything about burning man culture is extremely cringe

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a dude I went to college with had to suck dick for water at burning man

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A friend of mine was getting hyped up for Burning Man and telling me about their "washing circles" where they would clean each other by washing each other's backs and I was like, that sounds fun to you

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The drugs are fun

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Bust rodd going to burning man is insanely on brand

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Trashy horny drugged out hippies are cool but Burning Man seems too ~big~ now I imagine it’s like 90% Instagram influencers and whatnot.

Should have a tech free requirement, that would be fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Lol I highly doubt the influx of EDM looking characters in video games is due to a bunch of devs going to burning man. It seems like a board room decision by Gen Xers made to appeal to zoomers. Although I guess burning man is pretty much a corporate retreat at this point so it's not impossible. It's beyond generic looking and it's always just hip youth with some glowy poo poo on their clothes and usually some sort of helmet with a screen on it that makes emojis. When I first saw it in Watch Dogs 2 I though it was dumb as hell, but apparently the collective games industry thought it was awesome and made it a legal requirement.

Anyways I am fan of appropriate color. I'm not adverse to color at all. I absolutely hate how many games are starting to look like playing laser tag though. I hate how there is glowy bits all over. Even in fantasy games it's like everything is covered in glowing neon runes :barf:

Cyberpunk is actually an example of colorful done well Imo. It's colorful where it should be. It's drab where it should be. It looks really nice and all fits into the atmosphere. Rage 2 and New Dawn are hideous. It's just color for the sake of color.

Guillermus posted:

Agreed. I only get good deals with my carrier when my contract expires and I force them by first doing a pre-contract with another.

With PS+ I've been getting deals through Costco, better than what they give to existing subscribers.

Yup, cell phones, basically any sort of monthly streaming/gaming service etc. It's all about roping new people in and they forget to appreciate the ongoing customers at all. It's really dumb because it just promotes people leaving and waiting for a deal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah nothing more cringe than getting high and dancing, only losers do that lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah nothing more cringe than getting high and dancing, only losers do that lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Trashy horny drugged out hippies are cool but Burning Man seems too ~big~ now I imagine it’s like 90% Instagram influencers and whatnot.

Should have a tech free requirement, that would be fun.

Yeah I mean the reference in Watch Dogs 2 was precisely about how Burning Man has become completely dominated by Silicon Valley fuckfaces, even years ago there was a documentary about all the libertarian shitheads running tech companies going there to "be free"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQy0ZCx3UCY&t=1173s

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I mean the reference in Watch Dogs 2 was precisely about how Burning Man has become completely dominated by Silicon Valley fuckfaces, even years ago there was a documentary about all the libertarian shitheads running tech companies going there to "be free"

Yup I don't want to be a total luddite (or do I) but tech infests so much and rapidly overwhelms it until the turds of "technological progress" and tech culture are the only things floating to the top. I'll never deny the amazing power of having a supercomputer in my pocket but ugh. It's a tool. I don't even know what my point is here I'm just sounding like a grumpy old yelling about phones in the playstation thread for some reason lol.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Burning Man was still good in 2016 but yeah the corporate influence was huge and there were horror stories about migrant worker revolts and stuff, it got very dark. They abandoned a jumbo jet, lmao, and just left it to rot in the desert. I stopped going after that.

On some level you can wax poetic about the community and the environment and the culture but after my 4th or 5th time I just became jaded. I was going to get hosed up in funny clothes and dance around and have fun, while trying not to die in the desert, and it was always worth the trip.

It’s much more widespread in Silicon Valley because of weekend warriors. The event itself is a week but the population of the event doubles on Friday as all the Bay Area weekend warriors roll in.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Boy this whole thing reminds me of Burning Man. Oh did someone say Burning Man? I've been to Burning Man. Multiple times in fact. I don't go to Burning Man anymore though. Let me tell you why, in detail!

veni veni veni posted:

Yup, cell phones, basically any sort of monthly streaming/gaming service etc. It's all about roping new people in and they forget to appreciate the ongoing customers at all. It's really dumb because it just promotes people leaving and waiting for a deal.

This is why practically every company is trying to turn their products into subscription services. Don't need to fight as hard to keep customers if they're automatically charged each month, especially if there's some sort of lock-in feature. If you've been subbed to PS+ for a while then you probably have a library of PS games. Sony knows a competitor would have a tough time offering a deal on an online subscription that's worth ditching your library.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Bust rodd going to burning man is insanely on brand

:hmmyes:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol "burning man" lmao lame tier american ripoffs.

call me when you clowns get bonfire night and then you'll see some poo poo. we get pennies and throw things on giant bonfires and theres fireworks and its loving cold in november!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol "burning man" lmao lame tier american ripoffs.

call me when you clowns get bonfire night and then you'll see some poo poo. we get pennies and throw things on giant bonfires and theres fireworks and its loving cold in november!

yo i'll play Stump with you motherfucker :blastu:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

acksplode posted:

Boy this whole thing reminds me of Burning Man. Oh did someone say Burning Man? I've been to Burning Man. Multiple times in fact. I don't go to Burning Man anymore though. Let me tell you why, in detail!

i enjoyed his posts but i also as a younger man would attend lots of festivals where the point was to listen to music, get high, dance, buy overpriced trinkets, entangle oneself with strangers that you maybe shouldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I am aghast at the prospect of reading about fun people had 8 years ago in the Sony PlayStation 4 thread.