Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also it could just be that Vampires lay low as civilians, like the one in the current Moon Knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah. Moon Knight, Wolverine, and Avengers, are all dealing with vampire poo poo to varying degrees.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn’t doctor strange kill them all at one point?

Yup. Using the Montesi Formula from the Darkhold. The only one who was spared was Hannibal King (or as Parker Posey in Blade Trinity called him "HANNIBAL KING!") because he never drank blood by force so Strange was able to give him a blood transfusion during the process and it spared him. I'm not sure why the vampires came back aside from some off-handed thing about there being a counter spell and the vampires weren't destroyed just banished to the shadow realm or whatever so when the spell was broken they came back, but I couldn't tell you what book that happened in.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I realized I didn't know that either, so I went to look it up.

I think it's here: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Doctor_Strange,_Sorcerer_Supreme_Vol_1_18

Dammit, Roy Thomas.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 21, 2021

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The X-Men's long-term involvement with Dracula and vampires is one of my favorite parts of the line.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked it until marvel reinvented their version of dracula to be worse in every way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I realized I didn't know that either, so I went to look it up.

I think it's here: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Doctor_Strange,_Sorcerer_Supreme_Vol_1_18

Dammit, Roy Thomas.

Fuckin' love me some Roy Thomas. I should go read some Invaders.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1429219762329038850?s=20
:can:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i liked it until marvel reinvented their version of dracula to be worse in every way.

They could redeem themselves by having Dracula and Knull fight over who stole who's fashion sense, and then Dracula wins

as a side effect all symbiotes now are vampires

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, one of them has an inexplicable spider on their chest despite being completely unrelated to spiders and spider men. see, totally different!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

hey, one of them has an inexplicable spider on their chest despite being completely unrelated to spiders and spider men. see, totally different!

No, no no, see, that was a highly stylized dragon....somehow.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Has anyone else read the new Cable? I'm kind of bummed out that the very first issue is tied into a crossover event, but I still liked it. I think the idea of having a trucker tattoo serve as an AI assistant is really inspired. And the story being about history's biggest :blastu: to kill Dormammu with owns as well. I'm a little mixed on the character art, but all the space ships and robots looked incredible.

In short,

Gologle posted:

Man I fuckin' love comic books you guys

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JordanKai posted:

Has anyone else read the new Cable? I'm kind of bummed out that the very first issue is tied into a crossover event, but I still liked it. I think the idea of having a trucker tattoo serve as an AI assistant is really inspired. And the story being about history's biggest :blastu: to kill Dormammu with owns as well. I'm a little mixed on the character art, but all the space ships and robots looked incredible.

In short,

yeah, it was good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

JordanKai posted:

In short,

Pretty sure Cable: Reloaded is just a one shot (bonus gun pun). Seems like he'll have a substantial role in SWORD going forward.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I already miss Kid Cable.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

There's right and there's right, and bringing back the original version of yourself who you killed as a goof, it's just the right thing to do. Much like the famous "Justice for Han" movement in Fast and Furious, I believe it justice served seeing the classic Cable return. The idea that you can get capped by a younger version of yourself to salvage poor writing by Bendis, it's just too much of an existential nightmare. It could happen to any of us.

But, I respect that making a good X-Men beverage out of those lemons is what we appreciate, so kudos to Kid Cable for entertaining the denizens here. I just like a life story to have more of a not usurped by a young version of you thing thing, it's just not my style. In fact, I'm gonna say it, Kid Cable was not right to have killed classic Cable like that. Could've challenged him to an honorable duel, could've talked it out, so many possibilities. Those nutty kids.

Unrelated, recently I had the thought that I could use more stories of you and copies of you living together. Like Multiplicity, or any various time shenanigans version or whatever. There are so many Groundhog Day loop movies, but not nearly enough takes at the ol' Multiplicity. So clearly Kid Cable and Old Cable should've been a buddy oddball team-up from the beginning.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 28, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

Pretty sure Cable: Reloaded is just a one shot (bonus gun pun). Seems like he'll have a substantial role in SWORD going forward.

I checked the September solicitations and it looks like you're right. :( I need to pay more attention to announcements next time instead of getting my hopes up.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I will be astonished if Old Nate doesn't make the jump over to S.W.O.R.D. so there's still plenty of reason to be optimistic for the future of Ewing's Cable!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

JordanKai posted:

Cable saluting Rocket for being the best god damned tactical genius of all time is really all I need in a comic book, frankly. And being excited because he knows he's participating in one of his greatest moments ever? Wonderful.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
This isn't the most :effort: thing, but I took a few pin-ups from X-Factor Annual #7 (in the middle of David's first run) and turned them into a wallpaper for my computer, thought other people might want to use it:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cloks posted:

This isn't the most :effort: thing, but I took a few pin-ups from X-Factor Annual #7 (in the middle of David's first run) and turned them into a wallpaper for my computer, thought other people might want to use it:

Can someone just jump into David's X-Factor run if they haven't read a ton before. I've read the crossovers with Uncanny (Inerno, X-Tinction Agenda, X-cutioners Song) and some of the early stuff when it's the O5, but none of later stuff with the larger team until the post M-day stuff where Peter David came back and it introduced Layla Miller.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Can someone just jump into David's X-Factor run if they haven't read a ton before. I've read the crossovers with Uncanny (Inerno, X-Tinction Agenda, X-cutioners Song) and some of the early stuff when it's the O5, but none of later stuff with the larger team until the post M-day stuff where Peter David came back and it introduced Layla Miller.

Yeah, it starts off with a new team and direction that doesn't deal with the previous team before.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Speak posted:

Cable saluting Rocket for being the best god damned tactical genius of all time is really all I need in a comic book, frankly. And being excited because he knows he's participating in one of his greatest moments ever? Wonderful.

It's really good. It's a lot of what I liked about Kid Cable, but filtered through a lifetime of struggle and experience. The exciteable idiot whose also an incredibly competent soldier is still there, just sans idiot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

It's really good. It's a lot of what I liked about Kid Cable, but filtered through a lifetime of struggle and experience. The exciteable idiot whose also an incredibly competent soldier is still there, just sans idiot.

Gonna miss the idiot bit. He was like Hawkeye (either Kate or the worse Hawkeye) except they realized guns are better than bow and arrows, especially when you have Forge on your island.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

Yeah for the most part. You'll kind of need to know about Genosha and the Legacy Virus but in general aside from maybe the X-Cutioner's Song tie-ins David does a good job of introducing all the key concepts you need to know. There are allusions to older continuity beats but I think he keeps it readable-- you get the clear sense that characters HAVE history without needing to KNOW that history.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
reading extinction agenda first is a good idea, but they've already done that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

reading extinction agenda is a good idea

Evergreen advice.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-to-publish-x-lives-and-deaths-of-wolverine-in-2022/

Bleeding-Cool-sized-grain-of-salt and all but I am far more interested in this as a hidden Moira book than a Logan book...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

danbanana posted:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-to-publish-x-lives-and-deaths-of-wolverine-in-2022/

Bleeding-Cool-sized-grain-of-salt and all but I am far more interested in this as a hidden Moira book than a Logan book...

I mean, it sounds like it's gonna cover Wolverine's lives in Moira's previous ones, so she'll probably show up. But Percy is the Wolverine and X-Force writer, so I doubt Wolverine's gonna be completely overshadowed by her.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

ClawX/PopX

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm not going to lie, I'm disappointed. I'm a fan of Wolverine, but I don't want to read his version of Moira's past lives.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I hope we learn the origin of his iconic Hot Claws in this series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gologle posted:

I'm not going to lie, I'm disappointed. I'm a fan of Wolverine, but I don't want to read his version of Moira's past lives.

The one right before this one would be interesting, where Moira has him kill her like ten thousand years in the future to prevent humanity from joining with whatever Warlock's race is.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I understand the commercial and story reasons why you'd make this a Wolverine book. But it just seems to me that if you're going to explore this concept, explore it with the character who is most directly involved. Especially since for a bunch of these lives, Logan's life will be the same and he'll "die" the same way as everyone else: by blinking out of existence when Moira bites it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

danbanana posted:

I understand the commercial and story reasons why you'd make this a Wolverine book. But it just seems to me that if you're going to explore this concept, explore it with the character who is most directly involved. Especially since for a bunch of these lives, Logan's life will be the same and he'll "die" the same way as everyone else: by blinking out of existence when Moira bites it.

Well, during Moira's first life his time with the X-Men would be pretty different since she was introduced not long after he joined the team and she would never show up. As would the ones where she teams up with Magneto and Apocalypse. And it'd be cool to see more of that future stuff.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I saw a tweet asking people what their most unpopular X-Men opinions were and someone said "Logan is the least interesting character in all of X-Men"

and I mean...

They're wrong, but only because Monet exists

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Well, during Moira's first life his time with the X-Men would be pretty different since she was introduced not long after he joined the team and she would never show up. As would the ones where she teams up with Magneto and Apocalypse. And it'd be cool to see more of that future stuff.

Yeah, good point on Life 1, which would be different from Lives 4 through 9. While she was introduced in the book post-Giant Size, she and Xavier were together before that. So there are possibilities on differences when Moira just lives her domestic life. Lives 2 and 3 would be pretty similar to that one for Logan?

Maybe there are more possibilities than I initially thought. But I'd still much rather just read a Moira book, dammit.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Wouldn’t surprise me if this basically is the Moira book notes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I saw a tweet asking people what their most unpopular X-Men opinions were and someone said "Logan is the least interesting character in all of X-Men"

and I mean...

They're wrong, but only because Monet exists

People seem to say that Logan isn’t interesting when they mean they don’t find him interesting, all the time. I’m not a huge fan of Wolverine stories, but I do love when he shows up to interact with other characters I like. Everybody needs one Wolverine and one Spider-Man team up. You should probably run into the Fantastic Four at some point, but it isn’t essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gologle posted:

not saying this is what's happening, but I wouldn't necessarily be shocked if the title is a bait-and-switch and this book has very little to do with Moira