Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

When is the call of duty mmo coming out? I can’t wait for the Afghanistan uprising expansion and raid bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do we know anything about Riot's MMO yet? I feel like with how well they refined the counterstrike formula with Valorant (extremely familiar but different enough to be interesting, on top of being very polished) they could be the ones to actually make a new MMO that could be good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Not in a million years lol

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

counter-counterpoint:
https://twitter.com/DokeVGame/status/1430678343150555136?s=20
they pivoted and it's no longer an MMO

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

counter-counterpoint:
https://twitter.com/DokeVGame/status/1430678343150555136?s=20

They must read this thread.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
lmao owned

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Bardeh posted:

Do we know anything about Riot's MMO yet? I feel like with how well they refined the counterstrike formula with Valorant (extremely familiar but different enough to be interesting, on top of being very polished) they could be the ones to actually make a new MMO that could be good.
It's at least 4-5 years out, they're still hiring very basic positions for it. First they're going to release their ARPG and fighting game, none of which are coming out this year, maybe not even next. And Valorant still hasn't seen a lot of esports focus because coronavirus kept Riot from organizing physical events.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Riots been making a fighting game too for like… 3 years

they’re p slow

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

wolfs posted:

they’re p slow

is that the one they bought out and cannibalized an existing game to make

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

CYBEReris posted:

It was kind of an open secret back then that Radiant Games were making Rising Thunder as a pitch to Riot for Project L even before they got bought out.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

wolfs posted:

they’re p slow

They've been making the MMO for at least that long too, though. They're likely entering into production for real, which means it's probably 2ish years out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CYBEReris posted:

yes
riot has released -1 fighting games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm glad the MMO market has enough room for two big MMOs made by companies being slammed by the state of California for mistreatment of workers and more

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If I had a nickel every time the state of California felt the need to intercede in a giant video game company due to lovely workplace culture, I would have 2 nickels, which isn't a lot, and I guarantee you California needs to intercede more.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

30.5 Days posted:

They've been making the MMO for at least that long too, though. They're likely entering into production for real, which means it's probably 2ish years out.

Won't see the light of day until 2025.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Guess that means it'll be a game as service thing now? It's looking just as cool as the initial trailer. Ahh I don't want to get my hopes up

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Dinurth posted:

Won't see the light of day until it’s turned into a battle royale to recoup costs.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Hellioning posted:

If I had a nickel every time the state of California felt the need to intercede in a giant video game company due to lovely workplace culture, I would have 2 nickels, which isn't a lot, and I guarantee you California needs to intercede more.

Half-expecting a "Ghostcrawler has left Riot to seek new opportunities elsewhere" post at some point, especially after he had to be dragged away from his keyboard by HR/Legal and told to stay the gently caress off twitter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

God that was so funny.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Good Dumplings posted:

The past reality didn't hold up - how many people actually bothered with holocrons when it told them to go master Chef? And of those that did, how many didn't have at least one nervous breakdown during the grind?

Old-style MMOs largely got phased out for a reason; their main mechanical descendants are gacha games now, and thank god for that.

I did.....Master chef...I think I as the first or second on ahazi.

I still have nightmares about that grind like 15 years later.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Itzena posted:

Half-expecting a "Ghostcrawler has left Riot to seek new opportunities elsewhere" post at some point, especially after he had to be dragged away from his keyboard by HR/Legal and told to stay the gently caress off twitter.

I missed this and desperately need more information.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dross posted:

I missed this and desperately need more information.

When more and more poo poo about the "Cosby Room" and other related horrible news kept coming out he could not log off and continued to try to post through it.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

bandaid.friend posted:

Guess that means it'll be a game as service thing now? It's looking just as cool as the initial trailer. Ahh I don't want to get my hopes up

It’s a Pearl Abyss game, can’t wait to see what kind of terrible grind they implement while trying to fleece your wallet.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Groovelord Neato posted:

When more and more poo poo about the "Cosby Room" and other related horrible news kept coming out he could not log off and continued to try to post through it.

And then suddenly went, "Oh, I think I'll stop posting now" about quarter of an hour after doing the dril "I will never log off" post for real. It was blatantly obvious that someone has finally got hold of him and told him to shut up or else.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Are these tweets still up?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Honestly I think video games needs another crash.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rexicon1 posted:

Well Crash has been a platformer, a racer, and a Mario Party ripoff, why not a Crash MMO

Hotkey 1 to spin, 2 to eat fruit, 3 to use vague voodoo mask thing that played better in the 90s

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rexicon1 posted:

I want a return to mid 1990s gaming.

The era when Doom 2 was king, Quake was just around the corner, adventure games weren't dead and Ultima Underworld was mind blowing.

I'd ask for a Strife remaster but they kind of already did that with Veteran Edition. A sequel / prequel maybe?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

DancingShade posted:

The era when Doom 2 was king, Quake was just around the corner, adventure games weren't dead and Ultima Underworld was mind blowing.

I'd ask for a Strife remaster but they kind of already did that with Veteran Edition. A sequel / prequel maybe?

Don't forget RTS at its apex.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

DancingShade posted:

don't forget slightly afterwards when the build engine rocked everyones world with timeless classics such as duke nukem 3d, blood and william shatner's tekwar

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

blatman posted:

william shatner's tekwar

wait, what? they made a tekwar game? how the hell did i never know about this?

i love smug shat in the tv series as WALTER BASOM. It had some amazing dialog like...

<Filthy Assistant> Mr Bascom knows everything :allears:
<The Shat> Not everything my dear, merely a great deal. :smuggo:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

cmdrk posted:

wait, what? they made a tekwar game? how the hell did i never know about this?

i love smug shat in the tv series as WALTER BASOM. It had some amazing dialog like...

<Filthy Assistant> Mr Bascom knows everything :allears:
<The Shat> Not everything my dear, merely a great deal. :smuggo:

It's breathtakingly awful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tnqs2OIM44

It was made by Capstone, who in my opinion, after watching many videos about their games and even playing a couple myself (Witchaven and Corridor 7) had a lot of really big ideas that were cool but were absolutely loving TERRIBLE at executing them. A bunch of ideas guys with no competent designers.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I just got an email advertising the wow classless server's new project, a wow server with 21 fan made classes.

I figured, lets go take a look.

It is 100 dollars to join the alpha, currently 50% off, not stable, and a gash grab on a wow freeshard.

I loving love the internet.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
lol are they seriously charging $100 for pirated infringing stuff? wtf?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's $50, and you get a bunch of other crap in the bundle, but that's still a lot just to playtest a mod for them.

Third World Reagan posted:

It is 100 dollars to join the alpha, currently 50% off, not stable, and a gash grab on a wow freeshard.

The x2 thingie on their funbucks never goes away, and goes to x3 once a month or so.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 5, 2021

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

THE BAR posted:

It's $50, and you get a bunch of other crap in the bundle, but that's still a lot just to playtest a mod for them.

The x2 thingie on their funbucks never goes away, and goes to x3 once a month or so.

And once Blizzard sues them for making money on it and the server disappears, so do your perks.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

THE BAR posted:

It is 100 dollars where they tell you that you are getting a deal that never goes away.

Or they could just price it at 50 dollars and let that fun buck deal go away.

And it is the only way to get it besides a rare drop in game, so the other stuff included doesn't matter if you are only aiming for one thing.

It is a way that they sell you a 'deal' that they made inconvenient.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hey guys, here is a package, 1,000 dollars, also 50% off, also x2 fun bucks purchase. What a steal.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

GoGoGadget posted:

And once Blizzard sues them for making money on it and the server disappears, so do your perks.

They've been advertising their server heavily the last year, even on places like YouTube and Facebook. I don't know how they've managed to survive for so long, besides having their company in Russia, I believe?

Third World Reagan posted:

It is 100 dollars where they tell you that you are getting a deal that never goes away.

Or they could just price it at 50 dollars and let that fun buck deal go away.

And it is the only way to get it besides a rare drop in game, so the other stuff included doesn't matter if you are only aiming for one thing.

It is a way that they sell you a 'deal' that they made inconvenient.

I'm not saying it isn't a greedy and, frankly, moronic thing they're doing, but it's still effectively $50 done inconveniently, as you say.

But people are eagerly paying them for the privilege (every time someone activates alpha content, it's given an ingame proclamation), so you can't really blame them for trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's not really worth buying in yet anyways. I've been playing on their draft mode server for a bit and had some DP from the last x3 event so I bought in for fun and there's alot of cool groundwork but the level cap is 30 right now and the balance is all out of wack. It's pretty impressive at least. I got a Cultist to level 15 and I like their abilities.

I also don't really see why it's some big deal for them to get money for crap theyre doing. There's so much custom work done on the whole Ascension project in general, it's not just "WoW but with some custom items and NPCs" like every other private server.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 5, 2021