Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
And we all know Breath of the Wild is the Dark Souls of Zeldas

I ain't kidding, the game literally forces you into a variety of movesets and the game can be punishingly difficult early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
its multiple dark souls/demons souls within botw overworld and also smaller dark souls dungeons, sorry to blow your minds but time has proven me correct on numerous occasions. :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm going to be devastated if this turns out to just be Ubisoft Open World Game: Dark Souls Edition

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm going to be devastated if this turns out to just be Ubisoft Open World Game: Dark Souls Edition

The previews so far have said it definitely isn't, more the BOTW style open world where you can see something interesting in the distance and then go there and explore it, no shopping list of quest markers in sight

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

huh posted:

Binoculars are in the game

Oh poo poo

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The day before release I will sit in my garage with the car running trying to hit that sweet spot where I forget everything I’ve read about it and not get brain damage

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vikar Jerome posted:

thank god lmao

anyway, "legacy dungeons" ? one of things i heard about elden ring back when it was all myth and rumours was that the "dungeons" were all basically dark souls sized. as in, 1 dungeon in elden ring was the same size and complexity as most of dark souls 1. so i hope thats what legacy dungeons means.

They’re similar in layout and size to the areas in the Dark Souls series, not the whole game.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The thing that was really lacking in BotW was proper chellenging dungeon areas. Hyrule Castle was really well done but it needed more of that imo.

So the lagacy dungeons sound amazing so far.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
here is a bunch of stuff i remember from going through all the previews earlier, some of it corrects some stuff those reddit lists got wrong:

-the bonfire equivalents are called "sites of lost grace" and look like a smaller version of the yellow thing here:

https://twitter.com/VaatiVidya/status/1431243872923885575

-the dragon-arm boss at the end of the trailer is actually confirmed to be named godrick, and is the boss of stormveil castle, which is the intended first "legacy dungeon". he has the dragon arm in his second phase only

-defeating a 'field boss' (overworld bosses) did make a site of lost grace appear in the footage but it's not confirmed that this happens with every field boss

-one of the field bosses seen was a giant dragon, similar to one in the trailer but not the same, which unexpectedly flies in to attack you & a group of small enemies in the overworld

-melina, who lets you level up & can be summoned at any site of lost grace 'has her own ambitions' and will play a big role in the story, unlike the maiden in black, the doll, etc.

-you can feed your steed to restore its health & they hope you will form a connection with it throughout the game

-you can only summon other players in 'difficult' areas that have a summoning obelisk nearby

-in some difficult areas there are more generous respawn checkpoints than just the most recent site of lost grace, and you will be able to choose whether to respawn at the last site of lost grace or the more generous checkpoint

-a new 'guard counter' mechanic allows you to attack quickly after blocking, at the cost of more stamina

-stamina is not used when running outside of combat

-you can befriend the pot guys if you want but you may have to fight them too

-you can fast travel to any site of lost grace from anywhere in the overworld, but not inside the legacy dungeons

-you can regain some health from defeating enemies in some way so you're not as limited by the estus equivalent

-you can equip weapon skills & spirit summons at sites of lost grace

-summoning spirits costs FP

-the moonlight greatsword will probably show up but this wasn't outright confirmed, just teased

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Something I'm really enjoying about all these new bits of information is that the game sounds loving awesome. Very good design decision on FROM's part in my opinion :hmmyes:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Map? checkpoints? game for babby

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Honestly, it sounds like they're making this game too easy tbh. Disappointing, I guess FromSoft has lost their touch after all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Without a hint of sarcasm, irony or mischief it does sound like a simple ubi game for baby.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

All these bullet points look like they took the best aspects of all their modern releases and crammed them into a single game

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Honestly the thing that I'm most excited about is the fact that the combat seems to be taking cues from Sekiro

The idea of Dark Souls with (more, not weapon-locked) special moves and a jump button is already enough to justify my frenzied, irrational hype.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
they made the same dark souls game five times in a row and then stitched the games together with Baby Bullshit and now that’s elden ring

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

lih posted:

-you can regain some health from defeating enemies in some way so you're not as limited by the estus equivalent

It's actually my opinion that early game exploration in DS3 and Sekiro is punishingly difficult due to lack of heals forcing you to reset and terminating your momentum. Sekiro letting you heal on deathblow is very satisfying to use.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

huh posted:

A couple of new attributes, most are taken from the souls games

gently caress, its Adaptability again, isn't it?

huh posted:

You can fight this boss with a character that looks similar to Siegward, although it is probably not him

Siegmeyer confirmed!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
lol they are never putting adaptability back into their games, relax.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

OnimaruXLR posted:

The idea of Dark Souls with (more, not weapon-locked) special moves and a jump button is already enough to justify my frenzied, irrational hype.

Maybe if there's a proper jump button, we can finally have decent platforming segments. Nothing against such classics such as "walk along a really narrow ledge" and "step off a moving elevator", but I feel like Salt and Sanctuary (another jump-having Souls-like) did a lot more with its movement options than any of the Dark Souls games.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Adaptability will come back, but only for PvP players.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

acyclicity posted:

Maybe if there's a proper jump button, we can finally have decent platforming segments. Nothing against such classics such as "walk along a really narrow ledge" and "step off a moving elevator", but I feel like Salt and Sanctuary (another jump-having Souls-like) did a lot more with its movement options than any of the Dark Souls games.

platforming was indeed confirmed by the previews

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ngl i am extremely excited for this babby game, literally shaking all over rn

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Every new snippet of information about this game has me wanting it more more more or more.e mro re. Ore

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

ngl i am extremely excited for this babby game, literally shaking all over rn

i’m generally very responsible with my video game expectations and try to keep my hype in check, but i’ve failed this time around. these previews have me convinced this is going to be the best game ever made

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

punished milkman posted:

i’m generally very responsible with my video game expectations and try to keep my hype in check, but i’ve failed this time around. these previews have me convinced this is going to be the best game ever made

i hate to be this hyped but it's looking like a real deal video game cultural event. everyone i know is on board. i can't even imagine the pressure FROM must be under to deliver on it all

now i just need to survive winter

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 28, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i hate to be this hyped but it's looking like a real deal video game cultural event.

Yes I seem to remember feeling the same way before a little old game called Skyrim came along and poo poo the bed

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

codo27 posted:

Yes I seem to remember feeling the same way before a little old game called Skyrim came along and poo poo the bed

To be fair Skyrim came out after Oblivion, FROM just released Sekiro.

fridge corn posted:

Every new snippet of information about this game has me wanting it more more more or more.e mro re. Ore

:hai:

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

codo27 posted:

a little old game called dark souls came out 2 months before skyrim. i remember coming off that high and playing skyrim and being like what is this bullshit

(also thank you goons for turning me onto demons souls back in like 2010 or whatever)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I would like to play this video game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

codo27 posted:

punished milkman posted:

a little old game called dark souls came out 2 months before skyrim.

boom headshot

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I am irrationally excited and looking forward to this video game.

I never wanted to be one of those people that actually preorders a game and :justpost:'s endlessly with speculation based on unclear snippets of info, but, well, here we are.

huh posted:

The maximum amount of players in Coop is 3, including the host

You can place summon signs in most places in the world, just like in Dark Souls 3

The phantoms don't look as white-glowey anymore, but look more like regular characters with a slight orange-red tint.

You can place dueling stones down like in Dark Souls 3

Players can ONLY invade Coop sessions, this means that you won't get invaded while playing solo. However, Fromsoft and Bandai Namco would like community feedback on this, as this decision is not yet final. Make sure to send your tips or complaints about this to Bandai Namco or Fromsofts socials.

Passwords are in the game, allowing you to play with your friends. There's also group passwords, which allow you to only see the bloodstains or messages left by people using that password.

Some of this makes sense, based on how the PVP/invasion mechanic direction was going in DS3. Really a lot of DS3 and from what I know of cut content feels like FROM/Miyazaki had a lot of other ideas/mechanics, but quickly ended up wanting to put them into a different game entirely instead than the Dark souls world. There's similarities and reused assets/animations all the way back to DeS of course, but I think I accidentally found the sneak character animation in DS3 recently while playing.

But definitely seems like the "only invade co-opers" thing isn't definitive yet. I'm sure most pvp nerds are losing their mind at this already, but I do think something would be missing from the formula a bit if there wasn't at least a small chance of being invaded while solo hosting if playing online.

I think the invasion priority system in DS3 was actually pretty good, where being solo makes it very unlikely to be invaded since any other co-opers in the area are automatically more likely to be invaded than you.

As far as I can tell though, one of the new criteria is that you cannot do co-op or PVP at all though if using your mount. And there is no humanity/effigy/ember mechanic for being in a co-op or invadable state.

lih posted:

-you can only summon other players in 'difficult' areas that have a summoning obelisk nearby

This is likely straight up incorrect actually - it was based on the assumption that the cube-looking thing from the first gameplay trailer is the co-op summoning item. From this gameplay showcase and some new images, its pretty clear that cube is for summoning the "Spirit Summon" things, which look more like how we image phantoms with the white/blue-ish hues. Those are not co-op phantoms.

Cavauro posted:

i expect the co-op only invasions to be gone within a week

TBH, I wouldn't be so sure. Yeah PVP has a core group of fans and helps keeps a lot of soulsborne games alive, but are definitely just a vocal minority. I'm sure they do want to balance co-op/PVP, but the focus is always the single player's experience.

This is pretty obvious where their priority is, and it always surprises me how in a game series as critically acclaimed as Dark Souls, the comparative minimal amount of support the online functions get. I know console has always been From's focus, but even so I mean - there was literally years where hackers could get you banned for invalid item injection on PC in DS3 before Bandai finally took action and just simply disabled the banhammer, and more recently it was discovered that vulnerabilities in the netcode have apparently been around forever (that could even potentially run malicious scripts on your machine!), hence the new force-your-game-into-NG+-instantly hack that requires a community-made anti-cheat mod to protect against. Not to mention latency and lack of dedicated servers has always been a problem on every platform too. Even the region settings in DS3 on PC are simply a lie - the "regions" are Japan and the whole rest of the world.

Glimpse posted:

gently caress, its Adaptability again, isn't it?

Gologle posted:

lol they are never putting adaptability back into their games, relax.

quote:

Fromsoftware has confirmed that attributes will be similar to other Souls games, with a couple unique to Elden Ring, which weren’t divulged. Of note was the mention of Agility specifically, and that Strength would play some part in your Equipment Load, but otherwise players can expect a similar experience.

:thunk:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Logan 5 posted:

TBH, I wouldn't be so sure. Yeah PVP has a core group of fans and helps keeps a lot of soulsborne games alive, but are definitely just a vocal minority. I'm sure they do want to balance co-op/PVP, but the focus is always the single player's experience.

They tipped their hand about it. "However, Fromsoft and Bandai Namco would like community feedback on this, as this decision is not yet final." Most people aren't going to provide pre-release feedback but that vocal minority sure will. No way to tell how much feedback they'll need to change it but I would expect at least a risk/reward item that allows solo invasions. Maybe an "even more HP, but" type of thing or higher item drop rate.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I like solo invasions. I'm not a PvPer but the occasional invasion spices up my careful systematic aggroing and kiting. I co-op sparingly, and usually just to help with boss fights, so this change would mean I almost never get invaded. I'll be a little disappointed if they stick with it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
yeah don't get me wrong, I do hope and even think eventually they will decide to do some kind of mechanic that allows solo invasions; maybe with more advantages for the host, or they'll be even rarer than in DS3, or maybe even just in certain areas of the open world/Dungeons where the Host won't be at big disadvantage with mobs.

There has always been something absolutely magical (and uniquely terrifying if it was a first playthrough) of seeing that invasion message in a Soulsborne. Offline is always an option, but without even a small chance of it happening in online solo play it'll feel like something is lost to be honest.

But I also would not be surprised too if Elden Ring released without solo invasions. Although yeah that fan minority will be very vocal about this, there are also huge swathes of people that loathe invasions and do post about it. They'll probably be drowned out by the former in pre-release feedback though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
IMO, invasions are an essential part of going through the game and should be embraced, not shunted off as much as possible. I went through all 3 Dark Souls open to invasions and it enriched the experience. The same goes for co-op, tbh. I see no shame in having other people help or helping them in turn.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
On the other end of the spectrum: I've found PvP to be complete garbage in every Souls game.
I'd want there to be a PvP covenant or something similar, available at the start of the game. Joining it opens up your game to invasions. Those who want to be invaded have to the option available and those who don't can still engage with the online elements that are good like jolly cooperation.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I've never had a positive experience with an invader that I thought was more fun than doing whatever I was planning on doing before some rear end in a top hat from the internet decided that what my gameplay really needed was getting instakilled by somebody pantomiming a backstab from the opposite end of the room.

Sekiro getting rid of the whole mechanic was an underrated change.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's the fun kind of scary when you get the invasion message and you don't know who's coming at you or where they'll be attacking from, it's a very organic and dynamic type of gameplay we used to fantasise about before this type of experience was possible and I really don't know why some people get so bent out of shape about them playing a game you're meant to die about 200 times your first time anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
The only time I enjoyed an invasion was when the guy attacking me immediately fell into an elevator shaft and died. Every other time was tedious, laggy, and pointless. Sekiro had no multiplayer at all, and I barely noticed, so I'm firmly in the "no solo invasion" camp.