Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

SirPablo posted:

So people getting their "12" year old kid jabbed, no concerns about dosing? I don't want to be like the chuds trying math my way through "if a 1200 pound horse needs 8 oz of paste, how much should my 65 pound child get?"

We know the dosing they're testing, anywhere from 10 to 30 micrograms, and thirty is the adult dose.

It's a risk, but if you gotta put ur kid back in school in a dangerous area... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

You're hearing voices and writing game theory equations all over the walls?

that was A Beautiful Mind

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
America is a dangerous area.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
wife just woke up, said she can't smell.
i'm still drunk from last night drinking my workplace experience away so, husband of the year -- i'm aware.
working on getting my poo poo straight quickly.

is it a blanket "can't smell anything" or all the tones removed?
she couldn't smell garlic. said a soda didn't taste like anything but sweet.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pillowpants posted:

I’m mostly looking at the increases in ICU capacity and we are going to have a real loving problem in like 75% of the country soon

some percent of capacity is going to taken by regional transfers, too. Minnesota ICUs filling up because Oklahomans are still getting sick, etc

I imagine that's going to drop off and people are just going to die in their home state. wonder if that's the inflection point

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

PerniciousKnid posted:

You're hearing voices and writing game theory equations all over the walls?

what the heck movie did i watch when i rented life is beautiful because the one i got was not this

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

i am harry posted:

i mean there’s people waking around with literally 8 shots of varying types so if the tossup is between an off dose or delta lung, delta lung is still worse

I don’t think there’s any combo of shots that will help an immune compromised person like myself, although, my doctor hasn’t seen any cases of people hospitalized in her patients. Maybe that’s because we’re all taking extra care and precautions.

Yesterday we skipped the tillamook cheese factory and ice cream stop because there’s no way I was going inside that death trap. Went straight to a spot on the beach with our blanket and just hung out and played in the sand then went home.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Shitpostradomus posted:

i'm still drunk from last night drinking my workplace experience away so, husband of the year -- i'm aware.

Prob get everyone involved tested

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Shitpostradomus posted:

no taste like, wait, there's hot sauce on this?

you can get a BinaxNOW test (if you can still find one) or just go to a clinic and get tested and +1 the number

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Shitpostradomus posted:

Covid works in mysterious ways. Get tested, assume you've got it.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I'm in Ireland, going back to teaching shortly and looking to get a full face respirator with a diaphragm. I know the goon recommended ones are the 3M FF-403 or the 3M 7800S-L. I used a knockoff 3M one earlier in the pandemic, but teaching was a pain even with kludging in a personal speaker and I'm looking for a less fiddly solution.

Anyone know of a good retailer shipping to Ireland/within Europe?

I can find the 3M 7907S on Amazon, which I think is a one size fits all model.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shitpostradomus posted:

that’s the covid infecting her sensory organs through capillaries. quarantine in separate parts of the house so you aren’t huffing each other’s virus discharges

and from there gently caress knows, try not to die I guess

Shitpostradomus posted:

everyone in my office has a cough.
one employee brought their toddler in two days ago.
now the kid is so sick the employee can't come in and we don't offer PTO so no one really ever calls out.

anyhow since that eats my entire rear end like a corncob, i figured i'd make a cool poster to the CSPAM COVID next weekend.

the event has changed venues and is now your house

i am harry fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 28, 2021

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Fun side effect of the eviction memorandum is that my county can't place anyone homeless for weeks/month now and keeps shipping them to other counties lmao.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

SirPablo posted:

So people getting their "12" year old kid jabbed, no concerns about dosing? I don't want to be like the chuds trying math my way through "if a 1200 pound horse needs 8 oz of paste, how much should my 65 pound child get?"

just came here to xpost

quote:

A week or so ago there was a lot in here about off-label use of the Pfizer vaccine in children <12. TWIV addressed it this week at 36:10 (unsure if timestamp embedding works in the forums). tl;dr: Griffin doesn't come right out and recommend it, but he does say that if you have kids who are morphologically closer to the age, he would definitely consider it, and that generally this is how medicine works, we don't have trials for a lot of kids and we just rely on pediatricians to use their best guess.

https://youtu.be/Tb2dyV0tSec?t=2170

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what is the origin of the belief that ivermectin does anything for covid

was this something an Alex jones person mumbled or what

Petey posted:

My understanding is that ivermectin became a thing because it was an object of speculation (along with the MMR and BCG vaccines) as to why parts of the ""developing world"" appeared to have lower rates of severe outcomes. Ivermectin is widely used across the African continent as a deworming agent for schoolchildren, for example.

This legitimate, if speculative, research got into the hands of antivaxxers, who wanted to avoid MMR/BCG too, and because the human version/quantity of ivermectin became out of reach because doctors would not prescribe it en masse, people turned to horse paste.

Weather Chopper 9
Apr 9, 2007
Your eye in the sky
New (to me) antivax argument just dropped:

https://twitter.com/Kirky861/status/1430910277671813128

The comments say he's referencing this preprint:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.03.21256520v1

The man himself, however, sure seems to be catnip for antivax sensibilities and has been recently added to an idaho health board. He's also a Frontline Doctors type guy, which, to those not making an encyclopedia in their heads about this kind of thing, is party responsible for Horse Paste and also prominently featured Dr Stella Immanuel of Demon Sex Theory of Illness fame.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article253556914.html

quote:

At an event titled the White Coat Summit held in San Antonio, Texas in July, Cole described the vaccine as “fake,” a “clot shot” and “needle rape.”

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SirPablo posted:

Moderna uses like three times the dosage that Phizer does. Vaccine doses is probably not that big a concern, but I'm talking out of my rear end and the question doesn't really arise over here.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my buddy's kids both got covid from their grandparents who were up visiting from Northern California.

they rented the grandparents a car and send them along. unclear on if they were vaccinated to full immunity.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
we're hauling to one of the only CVS that can test at 12:15.
she got it from me and my chud workplace.

adderall don't fail me now.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

i am harry posted:

the event has changed venues and is now your house

Sounds like Wheezer is headlining

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fosborb posted:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1431623165495496719?s=19

vaccines are old enough in the population at this point where we are only preventing infection half as often, but still nearly as effectively keeping you out of the hospital

so vaccinated people in high spread communities are absolutely getting it and in turn spreading it to the unvaccinated, because masks off , bitches

christ, kids are screwed. even with 94/95s in school, they're going to get it at home

So according to this, with Pfizer your antibodies peak 4 weeks post-second dose (1 month), and then you have waning protection against asymptomatic infection until 14 weeks post-second dose (3.5 months), and then waning protection against symptomatic infection until 19 weeks post-second dose (5 months).

Seems like the optimal time for boosters would be around 3 or 4 months post-second dose.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I'm kind of a bitch in truth so I'm waiting to get the booster from my doctor since I had such a terrible reaction that almost sent me to the ER with my second shot. I dread that again but I also wonder if that means covid would just wreck my body, so I have no problems getting it. Just want to be able to have my doctor supervise me and be on call. Hopefully it's not too late by then!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

I still need to dig deeper into the data & analysis but this should be the expected result imo.

Unvaccinated are incredibly vulnerable to Delta, so less-mutated virions can kickstart the whole process.

Those virions can't set up shop as easily in vaccinated folks, but after multiple exposures a more-mutated batch manages to break through.

Thus the ratios for less:more mutations will be like 3:1 in unvaccinated and 1:2 in vaccinated (numbers are just illustrations).

Now if your concern is more about "vaccine-evasive mutations gaining a foothold in % of overall cases, thus gaining a larger share in the % of future cases & increasing breakthrough rates" then you may have cause for concern. That's going to be really hard to analyze due to impotent data collection.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My kid is almost 11 but they are definitely small for their size. May just ride with the KN95s for a while yet.

Other kid is 4, they are a sitting duck.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shitpostradomus posted:

Time for both of you to get tested.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

SirPablo posted:

My kid is almost 11 but they are definitely small for their size. May just ride with the KN95s for a while yet.

Other kid is 4, they are a sitting duck.

more or less same for me.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

McNugget Buddy posted:

Seems like the optimal time for boosters would be around 3 or 4 months post-second dose.

started at 8 months, already considering 5. monthly subscription plan by the end of the week

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Love that the only Democrats to even try to do anything were a handful of governors who have since been entirely overruled by their corporate dems and Doomsday CHUD run congresses.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

fosborb posted:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1431623165495496719?s=19

vaccines are old enough in the population at this point where we are only preventing infection half as often, but still nearly as effectively keeping you out of the hospital

so vaccinated people in high spread communities are absolutely getting it and in turn spreading it to the unvaccinated, because masks off , bitches

christ, kids are screwed. even with 94/95s in school, they're going to get it at home

Definitely glad the vaccines are effective as they are, but the current situation is probably the worst case in terms of child infection risk without any vaccine protection. A highly effective yet non-sterilizing vaccine allowed whatever few remaining NPIs to be largely removed in favor of a return to "normalcy", maximizing asymptomatic community spread just as a more infectious variant hit the US. Overall this situation is preferable to not having access to vaccines at all, as the death rate would likely be even worse in that case, but the likelihood of kids getting infected now is almost certainly higher due to vaccines allowing US society to "open up".

You could imagine a situation where we combined the highly effective vaccines with renewed application of NPIs to *lower* the chance of kid's getting a COVID infection before getting vaccinated, but clearly we chose a different path.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SirPablo posted:

America is a dangerous area.

treating covid hotspots as if they're radioactive fallout

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Zurtilik posted:

Love that the only Democrats to even try to do anything were a handful of governors who have since been entirely overruled by their corporate dems and Doomsday CHUD run congresses.

newsom prob the most aggressive and he’s gonna get recalled and a lunatic installed as gov 😂

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what in the loving world

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I agree. The US must stop giving guns to the entire world. Look what happened in Afghanistan

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

euphronius posted:

what in the loving world

COVID is over, if you've forgotten. There was even a party. Open biden.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

i am harry posted:

that’s the covid infecting her sensory organs through capillaries. quarantine in separate parts of the house so you aren’t huffing each other’s virus discharges

and from there gently caress knows, try not to die I guess

This is something I've thought of a lot. If my partner started showing symptoms it would be very hard for me to leave them but I get thats probably the best play. Would yall leave your significant other if they tested positive? Not sure I could do it tbh

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1431044781229191171?s=20

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Weather Chopper 9 posted:

New (to me) antivax argument just dropped:

https://twitter.com/Kirky861/status/1430910277671813128

The comments say he's referencing this preprint:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.03.21256520v1

The man himself, however, sure seems to be catnip for antivax sensibilities and has been recently added to an idaho health board. He's also a Frontline Doctors type guy, which, to those not making an encyclopedia in their heads about this kind of thing, is party responsible for Horse Paste and also prominently featured Dr Stella Immanuel of Demon Sex Theory of Illness fame.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article253556914.html

lol yeah, they fired the Dr that was in charge of the health board because he was in favor of masking and quarantines and voted for this crazy mother fucker.
Idaho is doing the speed run :doit:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Substandard posted:

For as much tax money as we give them you would think the least they could do would be to kill everyone else first.

it’s not “tax money”

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This is something I've thought of a lot. If my partner started showing symptoms it would be very hard for me to leave them but I get thats probably the best play. Would yall leave your significant other if they tested positive? Not sure I could do it tbh

lol what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lmao