Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mix. posted:

The jellyfish that aren't fake have the noise symbol visible inside their bodies.

I figured there would be a tell, I just hadn’t looked hard enough.

How do I get the Topo the Ingenious pin people were taking about pages back? Seems like it would be better than the poison bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

How do I get the Topo the Ingenious pin people were taking about pages back? Seems like it would be better than the poison bomb.

About half way through week 2, you'll start encountering puffer noise. They drop it on easy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It evolves from The World Within which is dropped by pufferfish Noise (set your difficulty to Easy for best results)

Heartthrob Launcher is another useful pin in my opinion (it’s a rapid fire machine gun that heals you a bit with every shot), it evolves from Cuddly Launcher which you get from the second Scramble Slam (and much later can be bought from one of the shops).

Also the game gets much more manageable once your Week 2 partner joins the team.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 26, 2021

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

It evolves from The World Within which is dropped by pufferfish Noise (set your difficulty to Easy for best results)

Heartthrob Launcher is another useful pin in my opinion (it’s a rapid fire machine gun that heals you a bit with every shot), it evolves from Cuddly Launcher which I think is dropped by green shark Noise (and much later can be bought from one of the shops).

Also the game gets much more manageable once your Week 2 partner joins the team.

First Cuddly Launcher is from an event (wanna say after the second scramble slam so like W2D5?), then it can be bought rather a lot later. Heartthrob Launcher is indeed great. Think I generally prefer it to Topo because it's more consistent to Beat Drop with.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kantesu posted:

First Cuddly Launcher is from an event (wanna say after the second scramble slam so like W2D5?), then it can be bought rather a lot later. Heartthrob Launcher is indeed great. Think I generally prefer it to Topo because it's more consistent to Beat Drop with.

Oh yeah, that’s right (and yes, you do get it from the second Scramble Slam). I forget if there’s something specific you need to do for it or if it’s a guaranteed drop though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 26, 2021

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Mix. posted:

The jellyfish that aren't fake have the noise symbol visible inside their bodies.

Good to know, now I won't have to obsessively stare at the jellyfish like a jackass to keep track.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Good to know, now I won't have to obsessively stare at the jellyfish like a jackass to keep track.

no need to be shy, we're all entranced by their.......undulations

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

For pins that can only be evolved by specific characters, do they have to be holding the pin when it reaches max level? Or can they equip an already maxed pin and have it evolve?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

For pins that can only be evolved by specific characters, do they have to be holding the pin when it reaches max level? Or can they equip an already maxed pin and have it evolve?

Nope if it maxes out it's too late.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It has to be on them when it hits max level. On the plus side, though, mutation ONLY cares about that final level, so you can get the pin to one level under max, save, and then just reload and try it on all your party members until you hit the right one.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
W3D7 is looooong. That must have been a quarter of their development costs

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
They put too much of the story towards the end of the game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shyfted One posted:

W3D7 is looooong. That must have been a quarter of their development costs

Revisiting the same events like 2 or 3 times was kind of tedious, yes.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I don't think they should have given you the last Yearlong Ensemble pin until after the main game. You basically can't die with it. I'll probably use that set to cleanup a lot of the game unless I want weakness specific stuff for harder bosses.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shyfted One posted:

I don't think they should have given you the last Yearlong Ensemble pin until after the main game. You basically can't die with it. I'll probably use that set to cleanup a lot of the game unless I want weakness specific stuff for harder bosses.

Wait, what? Where can I find this pin?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
You get it during the story W3D6 before you fight Big Su. They're the 4 St Whatever pins. I forget if you can buy the 1st 3 or if some are drops. When combined all 4 pins get a 50% damage increase and restore a lot of health on hit. And because they share an element and brand you can stack Threads to make them even stronger, toss a Cure Boost III on someone with a combo pin, and add in 2 Regen III items that you can have already and you just never die on Hard. Just button mashed through W3D7 bosses.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Larryb posted:

Wait, what? Where can I find this pin?

It's less the pin and more the ensemble, since year-long ensemble takes a bunch of HP Vampire pins and makes them even more vampire-y

Two of them are dropped by the Mr Mew fights, one is bought at Gatto Nero, and the last is just kind of handed to you on 3/6

But it's one of the only ensembles you're able to complete before the post game, so :shrug:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Honestly, I'd say it's straight up the best ensemble in the game, even.

Its damage is less than Black Cat, sure, but not by that much really. And, in return, all four pins heal you for half the damage they deal. If you're not getting oneshot you should literally just never die. Conveniently, too, it leaves a couple slots open for other pins so you could, say, slap a buff in there...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does lowering your level decrease any stats other than HP?

In fact, does leveling up increase your attack/defense/style? Or do only food and/or clothing increase those?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does lowering your level decrease any stats other than HP?

In fact, does leveling up increase your attack/defense/style? Or do only food and/or clothing increase those?

Leveling up only increases HP, stats are raised via food and clothes (all of this was also true in the first game)

So no, lowering your level changes nothing except the size of your health bar.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

In TWEWY 1, leveling up increased your Bravery (but it didn't go down when you reduced your level) but I don't think anything similar happens in NEO.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
No. Raising Style is a pain!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

In TWEWY 1, leveling up increased your Bravery (but it didn't go down when you reduced your level) but I don't think anything similar happens in NEO.

Bravery was replaced by Style in NEO but in the latter you just needed a certain amount to unlock the special ability of that particular thread as opposed to not being able to wear it at all like in the first game.

I believe Style can only be increased via food (and possibly battling) though

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Once you can get access to Air in a can it's not that hard to raise Style

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I feel like I’m struggling to get points in the second Scramble Slam. I’ve conquered two areas (Tower Records and Center Street) and only have 56k points. Seems like I should have way more if I’m gonna hit 400k? I may have made a major error by only doing like 7-8 chain battles for one or two of the special noise, but for 3 of the five so far I’ve done 10 chains. Sometimes I get massive point bonuses when I defeat the Bonus enemy and sometimes I get very little, I can’t really figure out why. Do you get bonus points every time you get a beat drop, in addition to increasing the multiplier?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I feel like I’m struggling to get points in the second Scramble Slam. I’ve conquered two areas (Tower Records and Center Street) and only have 56k points. Seems like I should have way more if I’m gonna hit 400k? I may have made a major error by only doing like 7-8 chain battles for one or two of the special noise, but for 3 of the five so far I’ve done 10 chains. Sometimes I get massive point bonuses when I defeat the Bonus enemy and sometimes I get very little, I can’t really figure out why. Do you get bonus points every time you get a beat drop, in addition to increasing the multiplier?

Each beat drop adds 0.4 to your starting multiplier, which goes up to a maximum of 5x (this is independent of the Bonus enemy; having a 5x multiplier will cause the Bonus enemy to give out 15x the usual points). Also, the points you get from beat drops are determined by the damage of the attack you used, so something like Psychic Shotgun will give you more points than Shockwave.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

serefin99 posted:

Each beat drop adds 0.4 to your starting multiplier, which goes up to a maximum of 5x (this is independent of the Bonus enemy; having a 5x multiplier will cause the Bonus enemy to give out 15x the usual points). Also, the points you get from beat drops are determined by the damage of the attack you used, so something like Psychic Shotgun will give you more points than Shockwave.

I’ve been using psychic shotgun and yeah it’s a great finisher. It doesn’t seem like you can start the day over so I’m just going to have to try my best to make up for a slow start.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve been using psychic shotgun and yeah it’s a great finisher. It doesn’t seem like you can start the day over so I’m just going to have to try my best to make up for a slow start.

Worst case scenario, you can ignore the points and just finish the day normally, and then just immediately revisit it to try again.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Or just do it later because the rewards aren't that great and it'll be so much easier to clean up after the main story.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Scramble Crossing is the best spot for building points in my experience. Multi-kill the wolves and bears with an Ice Fusion and you'll be swimming in points (plus if you go the wrong way after you hear about the enemy teams trying to meet up, you get some more fights there).

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Wow, post game boss is hard. I'm so used to having everyone in all out Attack Threads, but if I actually focused on boosting defense/HP stats would that even help?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That depends on if you're getting one shot. You just want enough HP to avoid that. Much more useful gear wise is regen so that you could take multiple hits as long as you space them out.

But for the most part the key is just don't get hit.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m like halfway through the game and just discovered you can manually save your game. gently caress. That’s a game changer though, I was able to go back to the end of the previous day to get a pig I missed instead of having to go all the way back through the day!!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Me: drat, I have so much money after doing that Scramble Slam. I basically have infinite money now.

*shops at Il Cavallo Del Re once*

Me: drat, I have no money, this sucks.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Don't have the game myself but have been watching my boyfriend stream the whole thing, finished it a few nights ago.

I just gotta say.

I still can't stop listening to Unpainted. It's such a good song goddamn.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Me: drat, I have so much money after doing that Scramble Slam. I basically have infinite money now.

*shops at Il Cavallo Del Re once*

Me: drat, I have no money, this sucks.

yeah the game is pretty determined to keep you broke as a joke all the way to the end

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And then you kill pufferfish for half an hour and buy out everything

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Don't have the game myself but have been watching my boyfriend stream the whole thing, finished it a few nights ago.

I just gotta say.

Both games have great soundtracks, yes (though in terms of ending themes I think I like Lullaby For You more than Little Things)

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I just gotta say.

Both the first game and this one are two of the only games that it's truly worth using headphones when you play them, the soundtrack is so good.

Though I guess if you have a proper switch and not just a lite a normal home audio system would be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Drunkposting to say Susukichi made me interested in Reversi thanks Squeenix