Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

goatface posted:

If the research funding/output is high enough, you can do anything.

Yup. They'll only go after you in academia if they want to get rid of you. In that case, any excuse will do.

I worked for Big University, which had a series of campaigns saying " Feeling stressed or depressed? Talk to your boss about it!" As if our bosses weren't the primary cause of our stress and depression, and they wouldn't replace us as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:eyepop:

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

I work in software engineering & my (relatively new, < 6 months) office has dozens of massively destructive process and technical flaws that somehow aren't fixable. I brought most of these problems up with our develpment manager in my first month but he informed me that there is no will to change within the company. I believe his recent resignation was because of this. For context, this is in regards to a series of highly profitable, high-traffic web-apps.

• The entire dev team (who are all working on 1-man tickets, on different branches) all share a single, hosted development database. Tables are constantly being manipulated, which often results in developers stepping on each others toes. When asked why devs can't have a locally hosted database, I was told that the database is over a terabyte. Further inspection has revealed this to be mostly random BLOBs which could just be deleted. I believe the real reason is that no-one in recent memory has been able to get the app to actually work from a fresh install.
  • When releases are being tested and issues are found, the guilty dev will fix the issue by branching off from the tickets last unmerged commit, then merge that code in and redeploy. This 1) technically invalidates all previous testing done on the release and 2) means that devs sometimes overwrite each others fixes, which causes issues to go from broken, to fixed, to broken again. I'm from a subsea engineering background where minor firmware mistakes can cost the company 6 figures and everything is tested to the moon and back, so this one really gets to me. There have been dozens of bugs created because of this since I started here, and when pressed, devs mostly blame QA.
  • We have an external customer management system deployed that marketing and support use to do their jobs. This has largely replaced our custom built control panel, although if the information isn't synced constantly both apps break. All of our non-release environments point to the same test instance of this software, because we "can't afford multiple instances". This means that test environments routinely just stop functioning because you can't do basic actions in the app due to ID clashes. This is apparently a "managed risk".

:thunk:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:sever:

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

How did this rear end in a top hat not get fired?

For grad students, any professor along the way pretty much has the ability to permanently end their academic career. This gives professors the impression they can treat students however they want, because they can, and the toxicity often extends to how they treat staff.

Even by the standards of where I work this was pretty egregious though. Everyone fully admitted the incident took place (hard to hide when the employee comes out of your office with a bruised face) This also wasn't their first rodeo with staff complaints though their first physical assault AFAIK. Thankfully they finally retired recently.

Oh I forgot about this lmao, as part of the "communication improvement" plan HR came up with, my boss was required to have a monthly "coffee break" with all their staff to get to know them better. Because a professor having to talk to staff is considered punishment.

nonathlon posted:

I worked for Big University, which had a series of campaigns saying " Feeling stressed or depressed? Talk to your boss about it!" As if our bosses weren't the primary cause of our stress and depression, and they wouldn't replace us as soon as possible.

lol yup. We have a ton of mental health/diversity/conflict resolution programs. All of them look like the workplace equivalent of a van with "free candy" on the side.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The correct response might have been a campaign of inane memes stapled to his office door, desk, car and other property.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

lolasaurusrex posted:

• The entire dev team (who are all working on 1-man tickets, on different branches) all share a single, hosted development database. Tables are constantly being manipulated, which often results in developers stepping on each others toes. When asked why devs can't have a locally hosted database, I was told that the database is over a terabyte. Further inspection has revealed this to be mostly random BLOBs which could just be deleted. I believe the real reason is that no-one in recent memory has been able to get the app to actually work from a fresh install.
  • When releases are being tested and issues are found, the guilty dev will fix the issue by branching off from the tickets last unmerged commit, then merge that code in and redeploy. This 1) technically invalidates all previous testing done on the release and 2) means that devs sometimes overwrite each others fixes, which causes issues to go from broken, to fixed, to broken again. I'm from a subsea engineering background where minor firmware mistakes can cost the company 6 figures and everything is tested to the moon and back, so this one really gets to me. There have been dozens of bugs created because of this since I started here, and when pressed, devs mostly blame QA.

this can be fixed while still maintaining a single hosted repo, because that's what we have (Perforce) where I work, and we don't have these kinds of issues.

- Perforce integrated with JIRA and build agent
- Build agent builds to a dev build folder
- During integration testing, QA picks up build directly from build folder
- During QA of release candidate builds, dev builds are picked up by a build engineer, digitally signed, and copied to the QA inbox
- Once a release candidate passes QA, we have a big meeting where stakeholders all sign off on release, QA moves the build to the QA outbox and presses the "this is ready for deployment" button
- A build engineer checks the signature of the build in the QA outbox, and if correct, deploys it to the field

devs don't deploy poo poo because it's a massive risk... we're also in an industry where field issues are 6-figure costs if we need to deploy a fix.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

SubnormalityStairs posted:

this can be fixed while still maintaining a single hosted repo, because that's what we have (Perforce) where I work, and we don't have these kinds of issues.

- During QA of release candidate builds, dev builds are picked up by a build engineer, digitally signed, and copied to the QA inbox
- Once a release candidate passes QA, we have a big meeting where stakeholders all sign off on release, QA moves the build to the QA outbox and presses the "this is ready for deployment" button
- A build engineer checks the signature of the build in the QA outbox, and if correct, deploys it to the field

devs don't deploy poo poo because it's a massive risk... we're also in an industry where field issues are 6-figure costs if we need to deploy a fix.

Sounds solid. Most places I've worked at have had a similar (albeit less rigid, because of limited manpower) process. I really miss having workflows like this.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cost of minor software feature and a couple bug fixes: $145,000

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Pekinduck posted:

My boss threw a stapler at the face of a subordinate. The manager had to take some anger management class by HR discuised as "improving communication" to save face. The subordinate wasn't fired but their career was dead-ended and they left for the private sector. Academia lol.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

Yeah, you're not wrong, but we don't do that. We build a product and ship it with (ostensibly) zero non-cosmetic defects, and if we ever touch it again it's a result of a field defect that we can't simply ignore or work around. Field issues are a Big Deal... if we need to update a product, it requires going through a new round of certification, and then sending a technician to each location to install on every individual piece of hardware. This is why we have so many layers to go through before something gets released.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've seen birds around Melbourne literally all the time. Sparrows have free-run of the restaurants around Elizabeth and Flinders St. Nevermind the pigeons. The pigeons fear absolutely nothing in pursuit of tablescraps.

Not to mention the seagulls that monopolize Federation Square for chips.

I work near Peter Mac and have seen poo poo all, maybe the death roundabout keeps all the life away. It's still a far cry from snakes as thick as my leg

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

What about the kookaburras and the bin chickens?

Brisbane city is full of bin chickens but they don't venture this far south. I miss those bastards. If you haven't seen it watch this documentary on bin chickens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4dYWhkSbTU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Yeah, you're not wrong, but we don't do that. We build a product and ship it with (ostensibly) zero non-cosmetic defects, and if we ever touch it again it's a result of a field defect that we can't simply ignore or work around. Field issues are a Big Deal... if we need to update a product, it requires going through a new round of certification, and then sending a technician to each location to install on every individual piece of hardware. This is why we have so many layers to go through before something gets released.
Haha, I’m going to guess you work in the gaming (gambling) industry.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Suspicious Lump posted:

Brisbane city is full of bin chickens but they don't venture this far south. I miss those bastards. If you haven't seen it watch this documentary on bin chickens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4dYWhkSbTU

So that's three of four Australian birds I know ([Swooping] Magpie, Bin Chicken, Koocaburra), but what about the Spangled Drongo? They chill?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is not a dumb thing per se;

I have nothing to sell, my job is to sell stuff, so due to so wildly overperforming and the company not wanting to risk me (or anyone else in my department) selling more stuff before we have more stuff to sell, we're all getting 5 extra paid vacation days in September on company mandated days so we don't sell more stuff.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Barudak posted:

This is not a dumb thing per se;

I have nothing to sell, my job is to sell stuff, so due to so wildly overperforming and the company not wanting to risk me (or anyone else in my department) selling more stuff before we have more stuff to sell, we're all getting 5 extra paid vacation days in September on company mandated days so we don't sell more stuff.

"I'm sorry Bob, your numbers are the best in the department. You made ten sales this afternoon. We have to let you go."

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Faustian Bargain posted:

Haha, I’m going to guess you work in the gaming (gambling) industry.

bingo

sometimes literally, and it's fun explaining to people how Class II reel games work

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

bingo

sometimes literally, and it's fun explaining to people how Class II reel games work

Please do. I looked it up and apparently it's actually a bingo game under the hood?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Armitag3 posted:

Please do. I looked it up and apparently it's actually a bingo game under the hood?

Yep! Usually slots have virtualized reel strips, and game outcomes from the math will include the reel stops for the win/loss as if a bunch of physical reels had actually spun. In the case of Class II, instead of generating outcomes based on spinning reels with stops, the machines all connect to a server that runs bingo games for everybody who's connected and playing, and the reel stops will be selected based on a win/loss matching the underlying bingo game result. In some jurisdictions, the bingo panel needs to be open and visible at all times, but it still plays for the player like slots. It's a clever way of getting around the "you can't have slots, but bingo games are ok" rules in those jurisdictions.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Pekinduck posted:

For grad students, any professor along the way pretty much has the ability to permanently end their academic career. This gives professors the impression they can treat students however they want, because they can, and the toxicity often extends to how they treat staff.

Even by the standards of where I work this was pretty egregious though. Everyone fully admitted the incident took place (hard to hide when the employee comes out of your office with a bruised face) This also wasn't their first rodeo with staff complaints though their first physical assault AFAIK. Thankfully they finally retired recently.

Oh I forgot about this lmao, as part of the "communication improvement" plan HR came up with, my boss was required to have a monthly "coffee break" with all their staff to get to know them better. Because a professor having to talk to staff is considered punishment.
It's also the support staff who are in a precarious situation.

It's recently come to light that the high admin staff turnover from a very prestigious research group where I got my PhD was because the professor, who was swimming in funding grants, sexually assaulted so many of them and the university HR investigations ended in sacking the admin staff and getting them to sign some kind of nda in the process

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Mojo Jojo posted:

It's recently come to light that the high admin staff turnover from a very prestigious research group where I got my PhD was because the professor, who was swimming in funding grants, sexually assaulted so many of them and the university HR investigations ended in sacking the admin staff and getting them to sign some kind of nda in the process

:wow:

That's extraordinary, even for a university. How did they get them to sign an NDA? Once you're fired, what hold do they have over you - or was there some cash involved?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

nonathlon posted:

That's extraordinary, even for a university. How did they get them to sign an NDA? Once you're fired, what hold do they have over you - or was there some cash involved?

I sort of hope so, otherwise all I can think is that it was just bullying. Academics being monsters was old news but what passes for HR being complicit was a real shock to everybody.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Yep! Usually slots have virtualized reel strips, and game outcomes from the math will include the reel stops for the win/loss as if a bunch of physical reels had actually spun. In the case of Class II, instead of generating outcomes based on spinning reels with stops, the machines all connect to a server that runs bingo games for everybody who's connected and playing, and the reel stops will be selected based on a win/loss matching the underlying bingo game result. In some jurisdictions, the bingo panel needs to be open and visible at all times, but it still plays for the player like slots. It's a clever way of getting around the "you can't have slots, but bingo games are ok" rules in those jurisdictions.

That sounds cool as gently caress.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nonathlon posted:

NDAs are usually "I'll pay you $250k, but if you speak a word about this to anyone you are liable for $750k." That's what stormy Daniels signed.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Fascinating, thanks for the poast

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Making the games themselves isn’t especially interesting in my experience of doing it for a couple years. It’s just slapping the millionth different skin on top of the bingo hiding stuff someone else wrote a long time ago.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The Australian wild life thing is not an exaggeration. I was health and safety officer for a while for an office building and had to do the regular company announcements for animal hazards. Most common being Plovers (aggressive ground nesting birds) and Eastern Brown Snakes (2nd most toxic venom in nature). One time someone was bitten by a Scrub Tick on the grounds and went into anaphylaxis.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pocket Billiards posted:

The Australian wild life thing is not an exaggeration. I was health and safety officer for a while for an office building and had to do the regular company announcements for animal hazards. Most common being Plovers (aggressive ground nesting birds) and Eastern Brown Snakes (2nd most toxic venom in nature). One time someone was bitten by a Scrub Tick on the grounds and went into anaphylaxis.

I've removed tons of ticks from all over my body including at least two from my ballsack over the years. It's usually fine if you get to them at the end of the day.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
While it doesn't compare to Australia, wildlife dangers can happen in florida too. Northerners move down here and don't grasp that they are no longer necessarily the top of the food chain any more. Gators, amoebas, big rear end bugs, etc. Had a vendor come down from Maine or something and marvel a cockroach. I thought he was doing a bit but no, he had literally never seen a cockroach before. Also threw him for a loop when it went from sunshine to rain in the span of 30 seconds.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Ticks love genitals so goddamn much

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Enfys posted:

Ticks love genitals so goddamn much

I had to double check where I was.

Dumb poo poo your work does - Ticks love genitals so goddamn much

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
This just in "we don't stay home if we have the flu". Yeah rear end in a top hat, gently caress you, then gently caress you some more. I will end your poo poo rear end company.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Penn State?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

As if that narrows it down at all.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Pekinduck posted:

My grad school had a bunch of poo poo happen with this one professor that was baffling and horrible (not my department luckily).

He got caught literally using his grad students as slave labor, including making them come to his house and bucket flood water out of his basement on a Saturday at like 1 am. They were all foreign students on education visas, and they all had text messages of him saying “get here now or I’ll fire you and you’ll get deported”.

He also had a big scandal where some of his grad students developed a novel medical process to treat some medical condition using eye drops instead of surgery. He claimed the patent as his own and sold it to Mexico for several million dollars. He claimed any work done in his lab was his property. The school was mad, but only because they were trying to make the same argument that they owned the patent.

I don’t think he got fired.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Yikes. Like, that's the definition of power imbalance.

I worked with a lab where the head was f-ing one of his PhD students. As in, it was common knowledge, people openly made jokes about it. Eventually it got just a bit too public, and the department had a talk to him, which must have been along the lines "don't get caught again".

Years later, the head is still at the university in a prominent position. The student ? Just faded and left academia. Those jokes don't seem so funny.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My professor for Organic Chemistry I had such a string of misbehaviors after I graduated.

Just Google the phrase “UConn professor arrested again” and the articles will come pouring out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My professor for Organic Chemistry I had such a string of misbehaviors after I graduated.

Just Google the phrase “UConn professor arrested again” and the articles will come pouring out.

You're not narrowing it down.

(I kid - but that search does pull up several other UConn profs in trouble as well, although no chemists)