Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

But you'd have even more surplus power if they were unmanned drones. More power, more maneuverability, and completely expendable. If you have a tiny expendable ship a live pilot doesn't add much (anything?) compared to an automated targeting system.

Unless they tried that and the drones kept becoming sapient and loving off.

wesley accidentally created an entire society of sapient nanomachines while doing a school project. it would be weirder if the attack drones didn't become sapient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I just finished my Voyager watch and it was fine I guess. Kind of ended rather abruptly.

They must’ve known they weren’t getting a season 8, but apparently they pretended like they were until they had to write the finale.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That makes sense. Last episode felt pretty rushed and there was no follow up resolution to anything.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They knew they were ending way, way ahead of time. They just didn’t give a poo poo that much. Lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pretty sure they knew before the finale. Not sure how long before though. Neelix got written off before that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I mean I never learned if they actually came up with a cure for Tuvok and then they just kind of throw in this Romance between Chakotay and Seven. It was a weird finale.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I mean I never learned if they actually came up with a cure for Tuvok and then they just kind of throw in this Romance between Chakotay and Seven. It was a weird finale.

The romance was Chakotay's actor. He was tired of the show and wanted out, but if he just quit I think he would lose some income. So he started making more and more outlandish demands, like Chakotay dating Seven, hoping they'd just write him out.

They didn't.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I swear they always know when an episode stinks because they usually follow it up with a really good one. Cogenitor is really loving poo poo because it tries to portray Trip as the bad guy for thinking slavery is bad lmao gently caress you Archer I keep trying to defend you and then I remember this poo poo

Immediately after is Regeneration which not only makes the Borg scary as gently caress again but it's directed just like a slasher movie which is exactly my brand of poo poo yesss gimme my garbage bitch

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I had somehow never seen Masks before

What the shite

and not in a good way

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Once again I state that Masks is top ten TNG for me. It’s my brand of loving weird.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Splicer posted:

What the shite

and not in a good way

What the gently caress are you talking about not in the good way Brent Spiner got to be a huge loving weirdo which instantly makes it one of the best episodes

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How DARE you

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hollismason posted:

There was a cure available already, it just has to be done by experts on Vulcan within a certain period of diagnosis

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There was a cure available already, it just has to be done by experts on Vulcan within a certain period of diagnosis

Would this cure include sehlat dewormer?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Danaru posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about not in the good way Brent Spiner got to be a huge loving weirdo which instantly makes it one of the best episodes

People who hate masks are people who hate joy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Automatic Slim posted:

Would this cure include sehlat dewormer?

Vulcan is a dune planet. You actually need worm dehorser, those worms are always accidentally eating horses and getting infested

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Splicer posted:

What the shite

and not in a good way
it's a rare episode that happens to be good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ugh, an anti-Maskser in the thread

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And Brent Spiner had literally a night to prepare for all of those different roles. It’s really impressive.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I would unironically listen to Klingon acid punk in my car during my commute.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Once again I state that Masks is top ten TNG for me. It’s my brand of loving weird.

I don't know if it's top 10 for me, I can think of a lot of good TNG eps, but it is good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mycomancy posted:

I would unironically listen to Klingon acid punk in my car during my commute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKEmXHPhT_M

Best I can do is death metal.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Can't decide which series to start rewatching as my relax time at night. I just finished Voyager sort of I skipped some episodes. I just rewatched DS9 and Enterprise both recently. I guess time to rewatch TNG. Although I'll be honest I've never watched through the original series before. I was always a TNG fan.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I say TOS and/or TAS.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Well I wouldn’t do TOS if I’m feeling sleepy and didn’t grow up with it. You’re doomed to a life of scrolling through episodes trying to find the place you fell asleep at. Stick to TNG friend

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've seen TNG a lot its my go to relax in bed and watch a show show. I love it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Endless Trash posted:

Well I wouldn’t do TOS if I’m feeling sleepy and didn’t grow up with it. You’re doomed to a life of scrolling through episodes trying to find the place you fell asleep at. Stick to TNG friend

username/post combo

Try new things and report back, you might like TOS. You won't know until you try.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've seen it before years ago. I should probably rewatch it before it leaves Netflix.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
hello GBS trek thread i apparently subconsciously ignored for years

im watching through TNG for the first time and posting screencaps that make me lol and the occasional random thought in this SFWF thread

im not overly concerned with spoilers but i don't wanna try and inject all my poo poo in a big active thread so please join me in what im finding to be a thoroughly enjoyable endeavor

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hollismason posted:

I've seen it before years ago. I should probably rewatch it before it leaves Netflix.

I'm really annoyed about that, I've been enjoying my rewatch of Enterprise and I'm only halfway into season 3 :argh:.

edit: Wow, Carpenter St is just a blatant excuse to get Archer Jack Bauer'ing through Detroit :eyepop:. I did like "Untie him *PUNCH* "Didn't feel right doing that to him tied up" at least.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 29, 2021

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Hollismason posted:

This is the first I've heard of this and I'm sad now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
"All your heretical sphere data must be deleted!!"

Does nobody keep backups in the 24th century?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"All your heretical sphere data must be deleted!!"

Does nobody keep backups in the 24th century?

They have backups.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I find it very easy to sleep after a TOS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drilldo squirt posted:

They have backups.

Nah, they make a whole deal of having to try and recover it bit-by-bit out of the :techno:.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Always backup your hyper advanced AI

3-2-1 backups my friend.

3 total copies
2 local
1 off-site

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, they make a whole deal of having to try and recover it bit-by-bit out of the :techno:.

Great now I have to watch it again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drilldo squirt posted:

Great now I have to watch it again.

Yeah, the next episode Hoshi and T'Pol talk about having managed to dig about 30% of it out of "the redundant memory core".

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Regarding the Borg and Earths defences during the Best of Both Worlds, I always assumed Earth was very heavily defended - the Borg just destroyed all of them. If you can swat aside 40 starships at Wolf 359 then it’s not much of a stretch.

Naturally it wasn’t shown for budgetary reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I've seen TNG a lot its my go to relax in bed and watch a show show. I love it.

I remember years ago someone said when they were unemployed they brought their TV into the bathroom to drink beer in the tub and watch Star trek.

Then it happened to me, and let me tell ya, that goon had it figured out.