Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I have to say 2-1Susato is pulling off the uniform way better than Ryunosuke.

Also was Brett's Swan murdered too?

2-1 is great if you have Susato's alternate costume on, because she doesn't disguise herself at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, just got to the actual, for-real end of the trial in 2-5. Still have the denouement, but before I forget:

Things I liked about 2-5 , MAJOR SPOILERS:

Really did not expect Klint to be the Professor, that ruled. Stronghart being OG Damon Gant was pretty predictable but pretty interesting, especially because he was also the judge. Some great music in this case as well. Amazing surrealist breakdowns from Jigoku and Stronghart.

Things I didn't love:

I eventually got over it but it's kind of a bummer that Gregson was actually in on the Reaper thing and also helped frame Genshin. Poor Gina. Also, I wasn't really into Kazuma as a prosecutor. Dude just knows more than you most of the time and hides stuff constantly until you figure it out. I get that it's because he trusts you, but it's a little lame and annoying. There is a good moment where Ryunosuke has to tell him "open your eyes," though.

Things I have no idea how to feel about :

HOLOGRAPHIC HERLOCK SHOLMES

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

2-5 So we've had The Prosecutor Did It, The Mentor Did It, The Detective Did It, and now The Judge Did It. Where do we go? The Assistant Did It?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

2-5 So we've had The Prosecutor Did It, The Mentor Did It, The Detective Did It, and now The Judge Did It. Where do we go? The Assistant Did It?

The player character did it :stare:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Regy Rusty posted:

The player character did it :stare:

I mean if you're familiar with another well known anime court game Dangan ronpa v3 did this basically

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

OG AA4-1 would also count for The Assistant Did It.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

I mean if you're familiar with another well known anime court game Dangan ronpa v3 did this basically

:hmmyes:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

I think the games are generally pretty good about the witness lies. Most of the times it's half-truths, misunderstandings or deliberate omissions of key facts. Most of the outright lying comes from culprits, accomplices or people trying to protect the culprit. The lies are rarely about the facts themselves, more often than not something that is true is presented from misleading angles.

Now juries on the other hand.

Until you get to Lotta Hart, who just lies 24/7 about everything

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arist posted:

2-5 MAJOR SPOILERS
I eventually got over it but it's kind of a bummer that Gregson was actually in on the Reaper thing and also helped frame Genshin. Poor Gina. Also, I wasn't really into Kazuma as a prosecutor. Dude just knows more than you most of the time and hides stuff constantly until you figure it out. I get that it's because he trusts you, but it's a little lame and annoying. There is a good moment where Ryunosuke has to tell him "open your eyes," though.

That's normal for AA prosecutors who aren't Payne, Kazuma's main problem is that his arguments generally suck. Most of the time it's just "but why????" or "no the fact that i swung a katana with obvious killing intent at the victim around the defense's posited time of death is irrelevant to the case".

Also what about 1-5 gave you the idea that Gregson valued human life in any way.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 29, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Yinlock posted:

Until you get to Lotta Hart, who just lies 24/7 about everything
To be fair to Lotta, she is merely an idiot

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

To be fair to Lotta, she is merely an idiot

Feel like these are half the characters of games 1 to 3. This game feels a lot different in that regard (with the stupid instead being hyper-concentrated to juries).

EDIT: Which of course pairs perfectly with your gameplay interactions with being correcting misunderstanding and gleaning useful information from their inane drivel. I really enjoy how you can reliably zero in on the seemingly most off-topic statement and that's the one that then unravels into something actually useful.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 29, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Yinlock posted:

That's normal for AA prosecutors who aren't Payne, Kazuma's main problem is that his arguments generally suck. Most of the time it's just "but why????" or "no the fact that i swung a katana with obvious killing intent at the victim around the defense's posited time of death is irrelevant to the case".

Also what about 1-5 gave you the idea that Gregson valued human life in any way.

This is why I love Franziska, she's genuinely blown away when the trial doesn't go their way. It's from Gadot on that the series starts to really lean in on 'the prosecutor knows everything already but you have to spell it out for the judge'.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i thought (2-5) Kazuma worked well as the final "opponent." on day 1 you're mostly wondering what his game is with this whole prosecutor thing, there's some nice moments between him and runo, and he performs his job of presenting counterarguments to your bullshit as well as anyone. then on day 2 it becomes increasingly clear he's actually on a misguided revenge quest against barok and kinda just starts losing it and putting in flimsier arguments when it becomes increasingly clear to him that van zieks couldn't possibly have done anything. we've never had the prosecutor having a breakdown on the bench like that before in the series and i thought it was executed very well, especially with how invested we already are in kazuma as a character.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ApplesandOranges posted:

This is why I love Franziska, she's genuinely blown away when the trial doesn't go their way. It's from Gadot on that the series starts to really lean in on 'the prosecutor knows everything already but you have to spell it out for the judge'.

I don't think that's quite accurate. Godot is definitely not ahead of you; he just likes to play it cool. Even in 3-5 he's floored by the twist that it is Dahlia and not Iris on the stand. He shows up to taunt Nick just before the trial because he thinks he and Iris are colluding, and obviously knows who the culprit is, but is nowhere near as in control as he likes to act. Being three steps ahead of everyone is mostly Edgeworth's deal. Blackquill's deal is tricking you into proving things that are damning to the defendant, and I forget what Sadmadhi does other than say "accept it and move on" a lot.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Godot is the prosecutor who seems to know the least about what's going on outside of the final case, he's mostly just there to gently caress with you

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think that's quite accurate. Godot is definitely not ahead of you; he just likes to play it cool. Even in 3-5 he's floored by the twist that it is Dahlia and not Iris on the stand. He shows up to taunt Nick just before the trial because he thinks he and Iris are colluding, and obviously knows who the culprit is, but is nowhere near as in control as he likes to act. Being three steps ahead of everyone is mostly Edgeworth's deal. Blackquill's deal is tricking you into proving things that are damning to the defendant, and I forget what Sadmadhi does other than say "accept it and move on" a lot.

Samadhi's deal is that he can't follow his own advice, he is super stubborn and gets increasingly hostile and petty as the game goes on

Amppelix posted:

i thought (2-5) Kazuma worked well as the final "opponent." on day 1 you're mostly wondering what his game is with this whole prosecutor thing, there's some nice moments between him and runo, and he performs his job of presenting counterarguments to your bullshit as well as anyone. then on day 2 it becomes increasingly clear he's actually on a misguided revenge quest against barok and kinda just starts losing it and putting in flimsier arguments when it becomes increasingly clear to him that van zieks couldn't possibly have done anything. we've never had the prosecutor having a breakdown on the bench like that before in the series and i thought it was executed very well, especially with how invested we already are in kazuma as a character.

Outside of the opening candle argument he doesn't really do much besides the usual harassment of the defense. The game tries to frame him as Ryunosuke's fated rival or whatever and lol he spent the entire case getting his rhetorical rear end kicked by like everyone. It might have worked if we saw an example of him prosecuting outside of a breakdown, but as it stands he just seems really bad at the job.

e: the candle argument was dope as hell mind you, and I like how the next time he tries to play the "aha a contradiction" game Ryunosuke is like "yeah no poo poo"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 29, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Yinlock posted:

Samadhi's deal is that he can't follow his own advice, he is super stubborn and gets increasingly hostile and petty as the game goes on

Well yeah I remember that much. I was trying to say something nice about him and that was the best I could do.

I wonder what kind of prosecutor we'll see for AA7. It's an odd-numbered game, which means it'll be one with a good prosecutor.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

Amppelix posted:

(2-5) I was 100% convinced through most of 2-5 that Kazuma was deliberately putting up a weak front as a ploy to distract Stromhart from his real plan: exonerate his father and prove Stromhart's involvement in the Professor case. Like, I thought he'd pieced most of the plot together already (maybe not the Professor's real identity) and was waiting for you to prove what he already suspected, or for Mael to slip up during one of his gloats, or for the right moment to turn the trial around with new evidence or something. But nah, turns out he really was in it for revenge. Guess I was kinda setting myself up for disappointment there.
I do see your point though, it's a fresh dynamic for a big AA finale.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yinlock posted:

The game tries to frame him as Ryunosuke's fated rival or whatever

When did this happen, outside of the man himself saying it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wait a minute, is... that a Skyrim refrence with the ex army vet in 1-4 or am I jumping at all knee based injuries?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The one thing I'm definitely sure of after GAA is I am on board with more AA games. Give me GAA3. Give me AA7, give me the 4-6 trilogy, give me the spinoffs.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd like trillogy hd 2 (Appolo Justice Trillogy, I'd think) to start, honestly. Though I wonder if it wouldn't be worth the dev's time to remake 4 in 3d to match 5 and 6.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it absolutely would not be, that's almost an equivalent amount of work to just making a new AA game

plus, the HD version of AJ already exists on phones

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
AA4 has some nice sprites, I think they hold up next to the early 3D game’s models.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah I know the hd assets are there, its that 4 sticks out compared to 5 and 6 due to it being 2d and 5 and 6 3d.

Though if you guys think it'll fly, I'm not saying its a must.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
AA4 I think is still the nicest looking game, because the sprites are really well made. Much nicer than the HD versions' sprites, for sure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, the HD version of 4 looks fantastic. In the leaks from last year, it looked like 456 was something being worked on on the side.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Amppelix posted:

When did this happen, outside of the man himself saying it

The man himself saying it, nobody shutting up about difficult an opponent he'll be, everyone gasping that ~he already knew things would turn out this way~ multiple times in court despite Kazuma being genuinely surprised several times meaning that's bullshit, the ending scene with the crossed swords. The game is explicitly trying to sell Kazuma as an incredible fated enemy, and he really isn't. He's just a sideshow to the actual confrontation between Ryunosuke and Stronghart, a confrontation he doesn't actually contribute much to.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also the character design of him wearing a white western military uniform and longsword against Ryunosuke's black Japanese student uniform and (outside the actual trial segment) katana. Everything, outside his actual courtroom performance of mostly just supporting Ryunosuke, screams "rival."

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i think that's kinda backwards though. i mean yes (still full game spoilers btw)his new outfit is clearly meant to contrast him to runo and all but all of that is more meant to arouse your suspicions of what he's actually been doing and where he's going with this and why he's being so secretive than to build him up as your Epic Legendary Rival if you ask me. this comes to a head during early day 2 when for a good while there it seems he may have actually done the murder and you can't really deny the possibility because of how weird he's been for the past several days. and if the game was trying to just play him straight as a cool prosecutor guy, what's the part with him completely losing it and having to get a talking to from ryunosuke about? like you seem to have understood the part where he's actually not all that great as a prosecutor because of his personal feelings getting way in the way but then thought that must be the game failing to portray him as competent instead of it being extremely intentional, like i was talking about in my earlier post.

yeah maybe the game plays up the "he's going to have really good arguments because he's both a defence and prosecuting lawyer!" bit one too many times but i really don't think the whole thing falls flat on its face because of that failing to manifest.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 29, 2021

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

the 3d games are ugly as poo poo except GAA

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

AA4 I think is still the nicest looking game, because the sprites are really well made. Much nicer than the HD versions' sprites, for sure.

this

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 29, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I dunno about ugly, but I will say the visuals in most of the 3DS games didn’t particularly wow me outside of some few neat visual moments. Also some moments chugged hard on it, I think 6-6 (part 2 of case 5 is basically a separate case, they really should have just made it case 6) made my 3DS weep with the slowdowns there.

I will say GAA definitely feels like it takes advantage of the fact it’s in a 3D space a lot more often though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Only DD is ugly imo. They got way better at animating the models and making them look good by SoJ.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AA4 has a super sweet OST.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Honestly, 3DS 3D was a bit chunky in general.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Only DD is ugly imo. They got way better at animating the models and making them look good by SoJ.
The weirdest thing about Dual Destinies looking ugly is that PLvsAA came out half a year earlier and I thought it looked fine, but something about DD rubbed me the wrong way

of course, looking back on screenshots now, they both look ugly in comparison to GAA though

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

you can tell they had a lot of fun with lestrade's design and animations

derra
Dec 29, 2012

PlatinumJukebox posted:

(2-5) I was 100% convinced through most of 2-5 that Kazuma was deliberately putting up a weak front as a ploy to distract Stromhart from his real plan: exonerate his father and prove Stromhart's involvement in the Professor case. Like, I thought he'd pieced most of the plot together already (maybe not the Professor's real identity) and was waiting for you to prove what he already suspected, or for Mael to slip up during one of his gloats, or for the right moment to turn the trial around with new evidence or something. But nah, turns out he really was in it for revenge. Guess I was kinda setting myself up for disappointment there.
I do see your point though, it's a fresh dynamic for a big AA finale.

He was a hurt teenaged kid trying to lash out at the country and systems that took his father. He seemed on our level at best in 1-1, before we had formal training or experience, and I never expected substantially more from him. Ryunosuke, on the other hand, is by far the most competent PC, and Susato similarly is the best supporting cast member. It was always going to be between Ryunosuke and the truth, especially since there was no jury of nitwits you had to convince.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

(2-5) An important thing to note about Kazuma is that not only is this a situation that he's heavily emotionally involved in, it's also his first case.

Personally, I think it'd be nice if they did GAA3, and he came back to show off just how much he learned under Van Zieks. ...But maybe that would probably cheapen the role of whoever the main prosecutor of the game turned out to be, so, alternatively, a Great Ace Attorney Investigations spinoff, where we get to see Kazuma & Van Zieks team up for buddy-cop antics even though they kinda hate each other?

Or, my personal dream, a Spirit of Justice styled game where you've got the story flipping from Defense!Ryunosuke in Japan to Prosecutor!Kazuma in England.

Basically there's lots of ways that the story could go, and I really do hope that they explore more with his character.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
G1-4 is pretty bad so far. It's nowhere near the circus or anything, but i'm pretty sour at the second jury thingy most grating thing is that usually your player character will have Something to chase that proves the accused isn't guilty. Even if it's insignificant and usually kept as "that's sorta a good piont, but look at all this incriminating poo poo", it's something. This case feels like Naruhodo has nothing, digs and digs to find a sliver of "well maybe that kinda proves there's a chance tho" and then five minutes later it's discredited so gotta dig up the next thing.
Loved G1-3, though, and a friend tells me G1-5 is just as good, so just gotta power through this one case i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Yinlock posted:

The man himself saying it, nobody shutting up about difficult an opponent he'll be, everyone gasping that ~he already knew things would turn out this way~ multiple times in court despite Kazuma being genuinely surprised several times meaning that's bullshit, the ending scene with the crossed swords. The game is explicitly trying to sell Kazuma as an incredible fated enemy, and he really isn't. He's just a sideshow to the actual confrontation between Ryunosuke and Stronghart, a confrontation he doesn't actually contribute much to.

I'm just calling it as a contrast to AA4 where Apollo was ultimately a sideshow between Phoenix and Kristoph. Hey we've had the defender be irrelevant before, now we have the prosecutor being irrelevant, and arguably the victim being irrelevant (Olive Green in GAA1-4).