Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

fosborb posted:

lol they threw in a bunch of people who won't get paid wfh (retail) and also management to goose those numbers

what the hell, might as well read the deranged interviews used to pad out the article

your loving kid has covid and you're bitching about not being able to go into the office????

hmm, maybe the next paragraph will provide context

YOU ABSOLUTE poo poo HEAD MOTHER FUCKER

these people are not real. they are strawmen to supplement the article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/profesterman/status/1431524578744881152

quote:

Restrictions are not simply intended to ensure everyone stays at home so that nobody can possibly be infected. Their little-recognised goal is to reduce the mixing rate among people from different networks.

Not understanding this, we fear the wrong thing. The general public and the news media worry enormously about casual contact among people in public spaces. But as Victoria’s second wave demonstrates, when Covid-19 gets into workplaces, that’s when the trouble really begins. Introducing 9pm curfews, increasing police presence on street corners, and wearing masks at all times in public have zero effect on this crucial transmission mechanism.

Lockdown’s Achilles heel is it almost never extends to essential workers. Our click-and-collect orders aren’t going to pack themselves. We need workers to drive trucks and stack shelves with food, not to mention the toilet paper we run out of. Healthcare, aged care and disability services must continue. And all of this permits workplace transmission to continue even as restrictions get tighter and tighter.

It’s no accident that transmission is concentrated in the areas of Sydney with the highest proportion of precarious migrant workers. In communities like these, people need dense social networks offering practical, spiritual and cultural support to survive under pressure. This “network topology” facilitates transmission of contagious pathogens.

Informal aged care, for example, is extremely common in migrant communities. Gladys Berejiklian keeps talking about people in large families visiting other households, as if they’re getting together for long lunches. But what we’re talking about is family members taking turns to bring food and provide care to grandma. You can’t just stop doing that, no matter how steep the penalties become.
Outspoken public commentators have learned all the wrong lessons from Victoria’s second wave. Rather than copying interventions that apply to low-risk activities in public — curfews, limits on exercise, playground closures and mask-wearing in public — we should look at what Victoria did to limit workplace mixing.

Under the restricted activity directions enacted on 5 August last year, the Victorian government imposed extremely detailed limits on workplace occupancy. The meat industry was reduced to two-thirds of employees on-site, while construction was reduced to “pilot light” levels, at 25 per cent of normal workforce.

So far in New South Wales, the burden has been placed on the shoulders of workers in “LGAs of concern,” including a requirement to get swabbed every three days before leaving the local government area for work. But with Delta, a lot can happen in three days. To drive cases towards zero, strict limits must be applied to employers rather than employees.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1431788511917711367?s=19

Covid is OVER

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lol Victoria premier calling out the NSW premier for allowing picnics during record cases while also stealing our share of a tiny amount of vaccines.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

If you die, you're both out of the hospital (after going to the morgue) and COVID is over for you! *taps head*

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

harder is smarter dumbshits

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

By the way would any other helpful goon be up for shipping me some respirator to glorious idiotic nippon?

Also,
I think AppleNippleBOB fell on hard times due to their getting fired and they're no longer responding.
Anyone know they're doing okay?

Forums like this, or any other electronic forum, continuously select for the richer members since the ones who aren't rich will drop off due to circumstances until none of them remain. lol. Welcome to internet communities.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Hey, fellow Bill Lee governed goon. State dept of health website helped me find sat testing if you haven't yet.

Thanks, chief. We ended up with the last testing slot in town. Every CVS/Walgreens/Walk-in here has no slots. And there weren't two slots so it was only her. I guess she could have done rapid but it was PCR because gently caress it. Once done, there's a box next to the CVS drive-thru window where you put your little LabTec bag. You even get a little alcohol wipe to open the hatch with. That's cool. The box was /almost/ overflowing. It took some effort to get the test in there. And then we left the whole bin of tests to continue sitting there in the 94 degree heat. Not covered, not anything. Just full-out baking.

Had a real good crack-ping over that. It's one thing to know a lot of effort is being put into Number Go Down. It's another to see it in practice. Her symptoms aren't awful. Fatigue and a semi-loss of taste vs full / everything smells or tastes weird and different. My mason jar of green crack smelled like gas and menthol to her. I had a bottle of that stupid melon soda left from work because I am a child that doesn't drink water -- couldn't smell that until it was /right/ under her nose. No congestion. It may very well not be COVID but I'm at a loss for what else it could be considering she's the inverse of a hypochondriac, was off put by it so hard she woke me up, that someone in my office came back three days after getting COVID and that I can't think of many things that cause hyposmia with an unobstructed nasalway.

Got home. Was like, "gently caress it let's get a second opinion." Figured I'd get one of those dumb Abbott tests and have a friend grab it. Nah. Regardless of what inventory says online? They're out as of like last week. Called 28 places. My rents call, mom was a NICU nurse so she's trying to be supportive but old nurses can heel turn to dark poo poo pretty quick so I let her go. Dad's trying to give me this pep talk about looking after my wife and like -- I've still got eight more places to call. He's like, "You can't be hysterical right now" and I'm trying to explain as succinctly as possible that I just need this stupid test to at least get a ballpark of if this is what I'm dealing with. Which, a handful of hours down the road, was moot. Again, when I can name something else that'd cause my partner to have some really weird loose wires in her nose and taste: I guess I can care about an antigen test backing that up or something. Calling them to apologize for being snippy after posting this.

Feel hot but no temp and I'm on my brain-med. So. I'm always warm.
I'm not hesitant on accepting it's probably COVID because suddenly this all Hit Close to Home or some poo poo: poo poo sucks, dipshit workplace, only vaxed employee, everyone has kids but me, HR turned her phone off on a tip from her chiropractor who called her to warn her about the Biden Phone Ping in the EAS test. This was going to happen. She knew it. I knew it. When I started, around a month after my second round of vax, we all knew it wasn't a sterilizing vax but... again, ~22-pack-year smoker and some weird physical attributes stacked on top of 20 years of amphetamine applied for ADHD.

The hesitancy is that it didn't bring me to a profoundly painful halt. (lol; yet). I'm kind of trash and treat myself as such. Seems weird it isn't at least kind of whipping my rear end.
(again. yet.) There are some possible reasons for that but I'm going to need a positive PCR on her end and me not cashing checks with my rear end that my mouth wrote 24-32h from now.

Literally the /last single/ test for the day unless we wanted to pay 150-250. And I guess we would have but we also didn't know we were dumping it into an InstaPot. Otherwise, it isn't like we don't have a few bucks saved from not going out. Every CVS/Wal: Booked solid. Every walk-in: No slots available. At Home Antigen? Unavailable. There's a review on CVS' website that says "You're gonna wanna call before you head over here based on inventory being confirmed via the website." Correct. The last Walgreens I called (i've gotten good at that stupid loving IVR) I said, "Just a super quick question. I wanted to see if you had a sec to check if something was in stock."

'At-home COVID test?'

"Would it be too bold to assume I know the answer if you already knew the product?"

'Nope. And if you're gonna talk to me about ~~~it saaaays on the weeeebsite~~~ that--'

"Nah. That's why I called. Thanks for helping me out, Susan." (old TS/CS tic).

Part of my job is a form or procurement. I can always find what you're looking for.
I can always find what I'm looking for. I've had a lot of jobs use that skill.
The one before this was Day of Show and Artist Management / occasional weird poo poo rider Make-r Happen-er for an entertainment company that almost got named something way funnier back in the 80s. If it exists, I have it.

I couldn't find a single god damned at-home test in town.
I may try to get a PCR and quicktest tomorrow. I assume if it's from me -- and nothing at my workplace has led to believe it isn't since my partner is WFH corporate at a company that prefers the word Manufactured.

That was a whole lot words to essentially say, "Thanks. I didn't get one. She did. She isn't the type of person to make a situation up and I trust her. Can't think of what else would have that kind of impact on taste and smell. I'm fine. Cheeks a little warm but. Maybe I should put this bottle of Old Tub down and treat this as seriously as I did for the last year."

Thanks for the suggestion. <3

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Apr 7, 2003

Go back to March of 2020 and select a group of posters who no longer post here in August of 2021 and I loving guarantee a non-trivial number of that population have either died or gotten too broke to post online.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

not if the harder measures aren't affecting where the transmission is actually occurring

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/choo_ek/status/1431459911414665220

make sure to check out the uncropped image

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Go back to March of 2020 and select a group of posters who no longer post here in August of 2021 and I loving guarantee a non-trivial number of that population have either died or gotten too broke to post online.

are you saying lowtax is dead

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

nexous posted:

His latest YouTube videos didn't look good

Apr 7, 2003

nexous posted:

Good things can't happen, so probably not.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Helith posted:

not if the harder measures aren't affecting where the transmission is actually occurring

the places where transmission isn't occurring probably have zero oversight anyway.

Apr 7, 2003

I bought a set of 3M 6200 half masks + filters months and months ago, my wife's job is forcing her back into the office starting September 6th with all staff and she said she's gonna mask and filter up and gently caress them if they yell at her for it, another goon success story.

We've made it this far without getting sick, gently caress getting ill if we can avoid it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

Applebee’s is like a solid C+

I’ve had much much worse

you can go to any applebees and get a defrosted pasta and two draft sam adamses and it'll be the same thing anywhere in the country

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Nothus posted:

His latest YouTube videos didn't look good

you got that right, big yikes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lowtax has coronavirus?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if only the horse paste came in mangosteen flavor

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

is the ivermectin messing with his brain?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

lowtax has coronavirus?

be still my heart

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We've made it this far without getting sick, gently caress getting ill if we can avoid it.

at this point I kinda feel like I'm achievement hunting.

🏆 Avoided COVID-19 for 19 months!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

lowtax has coronavirus?

nobody said that.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Shifty Pony posted:

at this point I kinda feel like I'm achievement hunting.

🏆 Avoided COVID-19 for 19 months!

Well it sorta is - for the US I guess the difficulty has ramped up to Dark Souls levels. (I never played it I'm not big on games)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

love when covid is over

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shifty Nipples posted:

nobody said that.

i'm going to say it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shear Modulus posted:

if only the horse paste came in mangosteen flavor

Lmao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Der Meister posted:

I mainly want my youngest protected, the country be damned

oh for sure, I'm just saying if children had the EUA in May we'd be sitting at 25% vaxxed, best case, right now, and that's still going to drive school after school into shut down or virtual learning, same as it is now, and be just as disruptive for education. probably more so because masks would be completely gone country-wide just like it is for adults

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

What's the contraindications on taking ivermectin and ambien? Asking for a friend

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

lmao uncropped is 10x funnier, ty for the heads up

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

triple sulk posted:

love when covid is over

covid never even existed which is a real relief phew

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

VomitOnLino posted:

By the way would any other helpful goon be up for shipping me some respirator to glorious idiotic nippon?

DM me, I gotchu

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Shitpostradomus posted:

I'm not hesitant on accepting it's probably COVID because suddenly this all Hit Close to Home or some poo poo: poo poo sucks, dipshit workplace, only vaxed employee, everyone has kids but me, HR turned her phone off on a tip from her chiropractor who called her to warn her about the Biden Phone Ping in the EAS test. This was going to happen. She knew it. I knew it.

Uh what does this mean

Apr 7, 2003

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Uh what does this mean

She thinks that the Emergency Announcement Service is a new world order scam.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Jfc this country deserves to die guzzling horse paste

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

i have some good news for you then

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Buck Wildman posted:

these people are not real. they are strawmen to supplement the article

the reporter "is a technology reporter in the Bay Area covering the video game industry and general tech news" so yeah, even odds they are pure fabrication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

HiHo ChiRho posted:

You're witnessing a mass suicide event. Americans who can figure out the truth with a cursory examination of their surroundings are choosing to believe in insanity until it kills them.