Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ok for real whos your team
This poll is closed.
The Green Bay Packers 81 35.53%
The Chicago Bears 52 22.81%
The Minnesota Vikings 42 18.42%
The Detroit Lions 53 23.25%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Every time I see Fields do something cool I get mild anxiety about the Bears as an organization ruining him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Every time I see Fields do something cool I get mild anxiety about the Bears as an organization ruining him.

this is 100% guaranteed to happen.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

R.D. Mangles posted:

Every time I see Fields do something cool I get mild excited about the Bears as an organization ruining him.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jesper loving Horsted

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Have you seen the abomination the bears are trotting out as an Offensive Line

This is a guarantee

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jen X posted:

Have you seen the abomination the bears are trotting out as an Offensive Line

Yes

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bears need to sign J'Marcus Webb.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Bears need to sign J'Marcus Webb.

He’s the future

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nah bring back Gabe Carimi

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Jesper loving Horsted

5 targets, 5 receptions, 3 touchdowns

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

The Green Bay Packers have gone 0-3 since cutting Blake Bortles.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The Curse of the Bortbino

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/markgrotesports/status/1431752760215621635

Gotta make sure he stays outta that place good call to keep him on the bench

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/markgrotesports/status/1431752760215621635

Gotta make sure he stays outta that place good call to keep him on the bench

The Bears are going nowhere this season and the offensive line is effectively composed of tackling dummies at this point. No reason to get Fields decapitated by week 3.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Did anyone ever figure out how much longer Pace’s contract lasts?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Reiche posted:

No. The Bears refused to answer questions about it at the post season presser, and have continued to refuse to answer since. Nagy and Pace used to be on deal that was going to end after this upcoming season, but the fact that the Bears won't just SAY that makes some of us think that they both got contract extensions.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Reiche posted:

Chicago beat writers are convinced the Bears quietly added a year to his deal to make it align with Nagy's, which runs through the 2022 season.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
That’s the extent to which I’m aware of.

Please don’t put Fields out there too early Bears, I feel good about him and that makes me feel quite uncomfortable

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I still generally think Nagy is a good head coach.

He just needs to give up playcalling.

As it was loving obvious the difference in playcalling last year when he gave it up.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nagy's way too quick to give up on the run and go incredibly pass happy, even when he doesn't have to. That lets defenses cheat by only worrying about pass coverage. Also the fact that Mitch couldn't figure out who to throw it to most of the time since he couldn't read defenses at all well meant that Nagy's system...which requires a smart QB to run....was doomed from the outset.

Fields, though, seems to be smart enough and hard working enough to maybe get it to work. IF the O-line doesn't get him murdered, that is. :cripes:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jng2058 posted:

IF the O-line doesn't get him murdered, that is. :cripes:

That's the big loving if, and I really don't comprehend why people are so eager to throw Fields out to the wolves behind a line consisting of a very, very not good Elijah Wilkinson, Cody Whitehair, Sam Mustipher, a not good James Daniels and the broken-down remains of Germain Ifedi, with Jason Peters in rotation for three to five weeks before his legs grind into dust and fall off.

Their whole plan was to draft Fields, have him sit for a while behind Dalton, have Teven Jenkins hopefully learn to play out of position at LT, and put Fields out there when he'd have some blind side protection. Now Jenkins is out for potentially the entire season and the line is held together with toothpicks, gum and the blood of the wretched and the damned. Why send Fields out there to die? We've seen what can happen to a quarterback's confidence at the line when he spends his rookie year being used as a tackle dummy (and we've all seen what happens when a coach turns to his shiny new toy way ahead of schedule in a vain attempt to save his own job).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Fields makes the offensive line better.

Because he can move defenses have to Respect contain or keep a spy. It slows down the pass rush.

He also can move and not get hit while Dalton cannot .

Homie got loving wrecked all the drat time in college lol.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

Fields makes the offensive line better.

Because he can move defenses have to Respect contain or keep a spy. It slows down the pass rush.

He also can move and not get hit while Dalton cannot .

Homie got loving wrecked all the drat time in college lol.

Counterpoint: Buffalo loving destroyed him with a blitz package that would have gotten picked up in high school.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I feel like I have a completely different read on Nagy's approach to the QB situation than most other Bears fans. I think he's jacked and juiced about having a QB as talented as Fields with the ability to make his offense not look like dogshit, and I'm guessing he will give Dalton the absolute bare minimum opportunity to keep the starter job in the regular season before making a switch. They're gonna pay lip service to what they promised Andey / their vow to take it slow with Justin, which is probably silly, but Nagy's interviews have been increasingly priming the pump for Fields to take over. If the offense stinks it up against the Rams I think you could see the hook after just one game

I guess the big thing pointing in the other direction is that Fields got super limited reps with the starters in training camp/preseason. But, maybe that's just generic mismanagement as opposed to stubbornness!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

xbilkis posted:

I feel like I have a completely different read on Nagy's approach to the QB situation than most other Bears fans. I think he's jacked and juiced about having a QB as talented as Fields with the ability to make his offense not look like dogshit, and I'm guessing he will give Dalton the absolute bare minimum opportunity to keep the starter job in the regular season before making a switch. They're gonna pay lip service to what they promised Andey / their vow to take it slow with Justin, which is probably silly, but Nagy's interviews have been increasingly priming the pump for Fields to take over. If the offense stinks it up against the Rams I think you could see the hook after just one game

I guess the big thing pointing in the other direction is that Fields got super limited reps with the starters in training camp/preseason. But, maybe that's just generic mismanagement as opposed to stubbornness!

Hell, he benched trubisky mid game and he had not lost a game at that point. It was the right move for that game, but foles looked mostly terrible as thing progressed. Nagy stubbornly kept foles in through a long losing streak out of spite and fear of getting sacked because of a horrible decision before he got the job. So who knows. This year will probably suck and im fine with that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

I still generally think Nagy is a good head coach.

He just needs to give up playcalling.

As it was loving obvious the difference in playcalling last year when he gave it up.

What is he good at? His playcalling is atrocious and their special teams suck. He has admitted he has little input on the defense which is the only reason they have been competitive.

I thought Fangio leaving exposed him pretty quick.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

He didn't seem terribly interested in Fields this preseason.They were pretty vanilla with him on the field and didn't gameplan to his strengths. Other coaches let their rookies play with the starters more and air it out.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

jng2058 posted:

doomed from the outset.

I think that's normally a pretty safe read on anything about da bears, yea

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

What is he good at? His playcalling is atrocious and their special teams suck. He has admitted he has little input on the defense which is the only reason they have been competitive.

I thought Fangio leaving exposed him pretty quick.

I know that your gimmick is that you hate everyone in current front offices and you're always rooting for the next guys (until they're in place, and then you turn on them within a few days or weeks), but this feels absurdly reductive. Nagy made a bad call with Pagano and, guess what? He fired him. He also reinstalled Trubisky during a lost season when it became clear that, as terrible as Trubisky was--and Nagy called him out on it, repeatedly--he was still going to be better than the immobile statue that Nick Foles was. And they still backed into the playoffs despite Trubisky being terrible.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Really excited about the Packer rookies and feel better about the overall depth of the team overall. Stokes and Rodgers have the rookie mistakes you make at corner and wide receiver, but they aren’t getting thrown into the fire right away based on depth. They are also flashing plays that shows their potential.

Myers and Newman have had very good performances and established themselves as a starting center and guard. Two starting linemen in a draft? Hell yes.

Slaton is a loving huge nose tackle who seemed raw but seems to have elevated his game as a professional. He has been a pleasant surprise as he has shown some run game penetration ability over just being a massive space eater. In a similar vein undrafted dline man Heflin has shown energy and penetration skills as a primarily run defender linemen. He should make the team over Lancaster.

Hill is looking like the real steal of the draft. Dude was first team All SEC but then they brought in Mike Leach Air Raid. Along with Covid he opted out and fell to the 7th round. Dude might end up playing more than Dillon based on his all around game.

McDuffie will probably make the team after a solid game yesterday, ends up as your standard linebacker special team fodder. Jean Charles will make the team but has struggled, not really a surprise as he is a small corner small school guy. He is being groomed as a slot corner as he displayed quickness and ball skills in college that may translate once he adjusts to NFL game. Van Lanen hasn’t been bad but probably destined to the PS based on existing offensive line depth. Gaines or Uphoff might make the team as fifth safety special team fodder.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

I know that your gimmick is that you hate everyone in current front offices and you're always rooting for the next guys (until they're in place, and then you turn on them within a few days or weeks), but this feels absurdly reductive. Nagy made a bad call with Pagano and, guess what? He fired him. He also reinstalled Trubisky during a lost season when it became clear that, as terrible as Trubisky was--and Nagy called him out on it, repeatedly--he was still going to be better than the immobile statue that Nick Foles was. And they still backed into the playoffs despite Trubisky being terrible.

They backed into the playoffs because they had a top-10 defense, not because of Nagy's 25th ranked offense.

They've had one good season in the past decade. Have a GM who has had one winning season going into his 7th year (of which they are not projected to be good). Besides making the biggest draft fuckup in modern NFL history, he's burned future picks and put them in cap hell to build a team with a ceiling of maybe 8-9 wins.

I'm pretty stoked about Justin Fields though. It's too bad he is going to have to sit behind Andy Dalton of all people. And that he'll probably have to learn a new offense next year after Nagy is fired. But he's by far the most talented QB the organization has had in my lifetime.

I don't know if your expectations are so low after decades of incompetence. But the Bears are one of the worst run organizations in the league and it isn't exactly trending upwards.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hand Row posted:

Hill is looking like the real steal of the draft. Dude was first team All SEC but then they brought in Mike Leach Air Raid. Along with Covid he opted out and fell to the 7th round. Dude might end up playing more than Dillon based on his all around game.

I can't believe he fell so far. Teams have more access to injury reports and film, but I thought he was the best RB in the SEC a couple years ago. Felt like a guy who should have gone in the 3rd or 4th round.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Niwrad posted:

I can't believe he fell so far. Teams have more access to injury reports and film, but I thought he was the best RB in the SEC a couple years ago. Felt like a guy who should have gone in the 3rd or 4th round.

Not many teams embrace the “save big money” lifestyle.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1432064679275372544?s=19

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I've lived through several years of bad blocking to the point where it seems normal to see your QB running for his life on every play.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

After so many years of the Packers having terrible running games (with a brief 2 year span of Eddie Lacy) it's weird that they might have three legitimate starters on the roster.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The amount of looks LaFluer is going to come up with this season with the addition of Hill, Amari, and Cobb back on top of Deguara. He's salivating.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Big day for people names Smith in the purple - Vikings just lost Irv Smith for at least several weeks and overpaid for Harrison Smith.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

jumstin fields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Perriman and Ford are getting axed.