Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

CordlessPen posted:

God dammit, I was trying to wait for at least a tiny sale...

I got it for the full price and it’s been worth every penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Last time i’ll mention Psychonauts 2 for a while promise : of all the things i expected over the years of thinking about this game 2 nearly back to back references to snorting coke was not one of them lol

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm at the point in Troubleshooter where I have a whole bunch of party members, and I was afraid that the game was going to force me to bench some of them by having a unit limit, but nope, I can just send everyone on a mission! It's a good thing, too, since at this point in the game there are like 70 enemy units minimum I'm facing on pretty big maps.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The final mission in the new Hitman trilogy is just incredible, just a fantastic little setpiece playground for you to go absolutely ham on.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The new Hitman games are all amazing, yeah. I’ve only played the first sadly but I lost my poo poo when I completed the final mission in it by basically just going ”Hello.” to the dude and he just has a heart attack.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Telling the makeup artist "good job" in the mansion party during the first game and it just making his year was :allears:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The comfortable gayness in Psychonauts 2 is extremely good and the post game married couple bickering between the two of them is even better. "Now that we've defeated the villain, we're gonna go on a quest so helmut can get his old body back" "Yeah, and then after that we're gonna get a treadmill so bob can get his old body back"

Small thing that's deeply amusing is there is a very late game power where Raz makes a little projection of himself and can chat with it. The projection has nothing but ice-cold burns in response to Raz's conversations with it. There is a augment to your powers that says it will zip the projections mouth. The little thing is it doesn't make your projection silent, it just changes all of its dialog to increasingly angry muffled yelling as it can't open its mouth to insult you so all the dialogs with it have both a "can talk" and "muffled" variation.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Whoa, I actually enjoyed getting the blindness shard in Hellblade. Normally I hate sequences in games where you have wander around listening for clues. I ragequit at Desert of Lost Souls in God of War for example. But Hellblade did it really well, I loved how it used the dualshock to guide you for example and listening for the running water was far less obnoxious that it could've been in other games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've replayed the game a few times and that section always tenses me up, even though it's really quite easy. It's a great relief when you pass the trials and get to wail on a horde of demonic vikings with your charged-up sword.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

exquisite tea posted:

I've replayed the game a few times and that section always tenses me up, even though it's really quite easy. It's a great relief when you pass the trials and get to wail on a horde of demonic vikings with your charged-up sword.

When I got to this part in the game, the model glitched out and my sword didn't render. I still had the fight and it handled exactly like how it was supposed to, except Senua wasn't holding anything in her hands. I thought the game just went super meta. "The McGuffin you've spent the whole game pursuing is only real to her, and you, as the player, are shown the reality during this fight with her demons."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Barudak posted:

The comfortable gayness in Psychonauts 2 is extremely good and the post game married couple bickering between the two of them is even better. "Now that we've defeated the villain, we're gonna go on a quest so helmut can get his old body back" "Yeah, and then after that we're gonna get a treadmill so bob can get his old body back"

Small thing that's deeply amusing is there is a very late game power where Raz makes a little projection of himself and can chat with it. The projection has nothing but ice-cold burns in response to Raz's conversations with it. There is a augment to your powers that says it will zip the projections mouth. The little thing is it doesn't make your projection silent, it just changes all of its dialog to increasingly angry muffled yelling as it can't open its mouth to insult you so all the dialogs with it have both a "can talk" and "muffled" variation.

With regards to your Psychonauts 2 spoiler it was really sweet when you see the memory of the wedding in Bob's mind and then think back and realize the a huge number of the figments in Helmut's mind are of Bob :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fire Emblem: Three Houses has a funny little thing where there's an in-setting advice box. Characters submit questions - you can only see their silhouette - and you have a choice of answers. Get the right answer and you get support points with them. But there's a few where I can't resist picking what I know is the right answer.

Leonie, who dreams of becoming a rich and famous mercenary, asks what's the most important quality in being a successful mercenary. The PC was a feared mercenary themselves before becoming a teacher.

Alas, Leonie never appreciates the answer "The wisdom to not work harder than the pay demands."

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The climbing poo poo in horizon zero Dawn is easily the worst part of the game. It requires no skill. The only challenge lies in finding what surfaces you can actually climb. It’s clunky as hell and I have fallen through the floor and had to restore saves 3x now.

Why even bother? Also the slo-mo jump thing was neat the first time it happened but by late game, please just stop

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What game has climbing that does require skill? The best I can think of is BotW and even that's mostly "grind shrines/eat food to get stamina"

I'd rather the Horizon route than an AssCreed route where you only have one way up a wall but it's not marked by yellow and you've gotta stop climbing to look at which handhold the game wants you to angle at

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Len posted:

What game has climbing that does require skill? The best I can think of is BotW and even that's mostly "grind shrines/eat food to get stamina"

I'd rather the Horizon route than an AssCreed route where you only have one way up a wall but it's not marked by yellow and you've gotta stop climbing to look at which handhold the game wants you to angle at

I get this confused with the “bitch about one thing dragging games down” thread. Sorry.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frank Frank posted:

I get this confused with the “bitch about one thing dragging games down” thread. Sorry.

Honestly I thought it was too no worries. I'm just curious what your idea of good climbing in a game is because I can't think of anything that uses anything that resembles skill

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Len posted:

Honestly I thought it was too no worries. I'm just curious what your idea of good climbing in a game is because I can't think of anything that uses anything that resembles skill

A QTE where a missed button means you slip.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Len posted:

I feel like that’s more true of the earlier ones where with the later ones it seems more like I can just climb anything regardless of what handholds actually exist

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Agents are GO! posted:

QTEs can go to hell. I hate them with a burning passion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Agents are GO! posted:

A friend and I started A Way Out and there's a coop qte where you both have to climb a vent shaft. It was a struggle

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Len posted:

I dunno but the “run around this structure 5x before you figure out where the handholds are” OR “we highlight everything yellow to tell you where to climb” (but oddly never both) just gets old. It’s especially bad in the DLC where you can’t use your focus to scan for collectibles and they are like, super camouflaged.

Climbing done right? Only game I can think of where that is a core mechanic and was done well was Shadow of the Colossus.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah was gonna say Shadow as well.

and Ice Climbers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AC Odyssey's climb (essentially) anywhere, no stamina, and no outright falling deaths is basically what I want in a game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

AC Odyssey's climb (essentially) anywhere, no stamina, and no outright falling deaths is basically what I want in a game.

Every open world game should have at bare minimum the option to remove fall damage.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Dragon's Dogma was a decent game that involved climbing, though of course it was mainly copying Shadow Of The Colossus

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crowetron posted:

With regards to your Psychonauts 2 spoiler it was really sweet when you see the memory of the wedding in Bob's mind and then think back and realize the a huge number of the figments in Helmut's mind are of Bob :3:

Yeah the first time through that level I was like Who is this hippy dude with plants in all these figments and then after playing Bob's level I was like ooooooooooh thats awesome. It also explains why there are a lot of flower figments too because Helmut genuinely cared about Bob and his hobbies

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Psychonauts 2: I love seeing all the different Raz sprites when he uses clairvoyance.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Barudak posted:

Yeah the first time through that level I was like Who is this hippy dude with plants in all these figments and then after playing Bob's level I was like ooooooooooh thats awesome. It also explains why there are a lot of flower figments too because Helmut genuinely cared about Bob and his hobbies

grittyreboot posted:

Psychonauts 2: I love seeing all the different Raz sprites when he uses clairvoyance.

This put a giant smile on my face

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Despite the rain, I liked BotW climbing, because it grants incredible freedom and causes me to view roads as a personal insult.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Despite the rain, I liked BotW climbing, because it grants incredible freedom and causes me to view roads as a personal insult.

When I play Assassin's Creed, I always laboriously climb up a sheer cliff to get to the synch point, and then I find a convenient road back down.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I finished Psychonauts 2,what a loving rollercoaster ride of a game,it managed to not only tick every box that i’d been hoping after all these years but far exceeded my expectations and had me giggling throughout.

And i’ve still got so much to see and do,favourite moments without spoilers : the transitions between mind areas are so trippy and inventive and even by the end of the game they continued to outdo themselves.

The entire game is so loving lush,every character is perfect,and the changes the characters go through (especially raz and his biggest fears) show that if there was a sequel (yes please) it wouldn’t be a retread with the sane gameplay mechanics.

Best game of the year easily,no doubt.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I'm replaying The Saboteur again (because it's fantastic) and I love the disguise system. It should be used more in other open world games - I love knocking out an SS officer then using his costume to sneak into a Nazi base and set loads of remote charges, before walking away as it all explodes behind you. No other game has that same feeling for me.

But the little thing is how Sean just sort of pulls the trenchcoat around him and hat low - it's a great graphical representation of how the disguise wouldn't stand up to scrutiny.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
There’s so many great little touches in it, yeah. It’s so simple but I adore how whenever you take an area back it goes from being the depressing monochrome to colorful again.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

For a psychonauts fan the sequel is honestly all little things, I'm loving it. One of my favorite gimmicks is that when you use clairvoyance on npc you see how they see the world, and the main character Raz. It's all drawn in 2d cartoons and some of the varians are very funny. One guy standing around Raz comments that he seems to have a really unique way to see the world, and if you check it out, he does! it's bacon. just a huge amount of bacon everywhere.

Overall it's just a very well made game and exactly what I wanted out of a sequel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The entire Questionable Area's joke, Raz's obsession and defense with funiculars, and his honest response to the Nessie vs. Sasquatch debate are just more of the the little things that make Psychonauts 2 so good as a whole package.

This is without touching just how absolutely incredible the level design is and how the final worlds song is burned in my mind forever.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bogmonster posted:

I'm replaying The Saboteur again (because it's fantastic) and I love the disguise system. It should be used more in other open world games - I love knocking out an SS officer then using his costume to sneak into a Nazi base and set loads of remote charges, before walking away as it all explodes behind you. No other game has that same feeling for me.

But the little thing is how Sean just sort of pulls the trenchcoat around him and hat low - it's a great graphical representation of how the disguise wouldn't stand up to scrutiny.

The Saboteur rules. One of my favorite details is that Sean is a beefy lad compared to the nazis, so when he grabs a uniform as a disguise, he's busting out of it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm kind of frustrated by Psychonauts 2 being another game that nails the big idea while constantly making decisions that drag its gameplay down, but it absolutely nails the tone and presentation. My favorite thing is getting a psychic power that lets you spawn a little cardboard version of yourself:

It just runs around and solves certain environmental puzzles for you while spouting cheery catchphrases, it's basically the distilled version of everything I like about the franchise.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If you use Clairvoyance on it, it sees you as the copy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Crowetron posted:

If you use Clairvoyance on it, it sees you as the copy.

Lmao I should've tried that. Clairvoyance was my previous favorite cute little touch in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Len posted:

GIRP is entirely about climbing and requires a hell of a lot of skill

Getting over it as well?