Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

smoobles posted:

is it safe for covid deer to eat horse paste

Yes but then the deer meat isn't safe for human consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know the answer is "people are stupid as gently caress" but it still boggles my mind that people are taking a dewormer thinking it will help against a virus. Like, this is way beyond people not understanding the difference between viruses and bacteria and demanding antibiotics. This is straight-up magical thinking.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Does mr. hands.avi count?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know the answer is "people are stupid as gently caress" but it still boggles my mind that people are taking a dewormer thinking it will help against a virus. Like, this is way beyond people not understanding the difference between viruses and bacteria and demanding antibiotics. This is straight-up magical thinking.

It didn't come out of nowhere, doctors have been publishing case studies where they tried treating covid-19 patients with ivermectin since early in 2020. It really hit the chudosphere in June when a metastudy was published in Nature that summarizes the proposed mechanisms by which it could be effective and basically concludes with "more research is needed." Obviously most chuds have not read this study, nor would they have the ability to comprehend it, I'm just saying that this drug has been on the periphery of legitimate medical science as a covid-19 treatment (and mostly found to not work very well)

HCQ went through this same cycle. Chuds are desperate for a wonder cure and will take any news as good news

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

HCQ went through this same cycle. Chuds are desperate for a wonder cure and will take any news as good news

Good news! We have a wonder cure! There's this new drug called Comirnaty or something like that which lowers your risk of severe COVID substantially!

And it doesn't even make your intestines slough off.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

7of7 posted:

Good news! We have a wonder cure! There's this new drug called Comirnaty or something like that which lowers your risk of severe COVID substantially!

And it doesn't even make your intestines slough off.

But that makes you magnetic and modifies your genome!!!11!

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Dren posted:

You're not wrong but even just "ask your doctor" really sucks when regular doctors mostly just fall back on CDC and FDA recommendations. CDC and FDA have been so slow, getting an appointment to talk to a doctor is so slow, there's no way to really have a dialogue with them. My friend's doctor told him back in March of 2020 to go ahead and take a trip to Florida. I told him he was insane and Florida was a probable hotbed of covid. By the time he was on his way back he was worried about an interstate lockdown being imposed and had to navigate through an airport filled with people who'd just been kicked off cruise ships. My point isn't that my friend should listen to me instead of his doctor regarding medical advice, but that regular doctors are going to be wrong a LOT especially if they follow the CDC and FDA. It just creates a lovely situation because the experts regular people have access to have been wrong so much and so often.

My doctor refuses to do televisits and I'm very uncomfortable going to his poorly ventilated office. I'm not about to take covid advice from a guy who is operating like that. But finding a new doctor sucks too.

edit: I'll add that I have friends who buy into ivermectin and they are incredibly frustrated with the "ask your doctor" approach too because they feel like they've done their research (which they presented to the doc) and were roundly ignored. It's pretty clear to me that horse paste is a scam but I have another friend who asked their doctor about booster shots a month ago and got a brush off as well. Only now, booster shots are about to be public policy. So like, it's easy to see how trust in experts is eroded because doctors can't possibly keep up with this stuff, are wrong so often when you ask them things, and don't have the time to patiently explain rationale for treatment decisions until patients are satisfied.

Also the experts are bought out constantly. How am I supposed to believe anyone has my best interests in mind when my own health is commoditized?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Are there really doctors who can cite any basis for saying booster shots have any productive utility in people under 60 or without immunosystem issues, because if so I haven't heard of any

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Just gonna look at r/HermanCainAward see wh-

https://twitter.com/johndistefano12/status/1431306159718375431?s=20

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to start the rumor that all the dewormer poo poo has been shipped in from China so it could be tainted. And add to that that the vaccine now out actually has the dewormer IN it but liberals don't want you to know it and are trying to keep you from getting it.

That said I doubt any of the chuds would believe it unless Trump said it himself. The liberals DON'T want you to get the vaccine!

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

That said I doubt any of the chuds would believe it unless Trump said it himself. The liberals DON'T want you to get the vaccine!

Trump said to get the vaccine but backed down pretty quick. I think the magical thinking is it's own monster at this point.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Illinois started up a public mask mandate and I got the privilege of seeing some grumpy boomer get turned away at costco by the greeter for refusing to put on a mask who very politely stated "Sorry, we're a private company" to which the old guy responding "well good for you" as he stormed off.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Trump said to get the vaccine but backed down pretty quick. I think the magical thinking is it's own monster at this point.

He got booed at his own rally over it. The GOP has caught a tiger by the tail and are surprised they can't steer it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The chuds loved Trump because they saw a reflection of themselves in him and when he started saying stuff that they didn't agree with they turned their back on him. CNN did that report back in May where they interviewed people in Oklahoma who were refusing the vaccine and when they pointed out that Trump was recommending it they called him a "New York liberal"

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Let them eat paste.

:lofty:

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/thehowie/status/1431766000152850434

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I had someone strongly encourage me to consume lots of probiotics after I got the COVID-19 vaccine. :frog:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

that sure is a bunch of twitter names

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Who are any of these people and why did you think we'd know

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Alex Berenson is a vocal antivaxx dipshit who used to write for the NYT and thus gets to claim “former New York Times reporter” to give his dipshit ideas more credibility.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Spinz posted:

Let them eat paste.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Someone needs to start the rumor that all the dewormer poo poo has been shipped in from China so it could be tainted. And add to that that the vaccine now out actually has the dewormer IN it but liberals don't want you to know it and are trying to keep you from getting it.

Why? I think we should encourage rallies, air travel and cruises! Staffed only by people who understand that the deep state is trying to control their thoughts with vaccine microchips.

Come to my escape room , winners gets a 10 pack of apple flavored Ivermectin! No masks, nobody with vaccines. Wholesome America first patriotic entertainment.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 29, 2021

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cowslips Warren posted:

Most CoA's of raw drug I inspected working in pharma, 90% were from China anyway. The rest were from France or Spain.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

He got booed at his own rally over it. The GOP has caught a tiger by the tail and are surprised they can't steer it.
That's been true for a few decades at this point. Unfortunately thus far the only outcome is increasingly deranged elected officials and conspiracy grifters getting richer. Oh, and the perpetuation of a pandemic.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Zugzwang posted:

Alex Berenson is a vocal antivaxx dipshit who used to write for the NYT and thus gets to claim “former New York Times reporter” to give his dipshit ideas more credibility.

He was also the subject of this Atlantic article mentioned in that tweet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I finally got my second shot (thanks drag-rear end japan) and wanted to know if there was any issues getting the other vaccine I didn't get down the road in like a month or two.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Are there any studies on whether the delta variant is deadlier than the other strains?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Twice as likely to cause hospitalisation
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58354342

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Dang.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Is there data yet on who the breakthrough cases are occurring in? Age? Time since vaccination? Underlying conditions?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I spotted this headline today:

Looks like that nickname stuck. :v:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

iirc 72 hours is not unusual. Some higher cost testing options will provide results within 24h, you basically pay for priority, so take solace in knowing that people with money are going ahead of you in line lol

The time to get results may also be affected by how many labs they have in your area performing the tests and how slammed they are. When things are moving well at the testing labs, I have had PCR test results come same day. But when there's a high number of cases and there's a huge amount of tests to process, I've had to wait almost a week to get results (this happened at the outset of the pandemic and during the surge last fall). 48 to 72 hours is what it typically takes outside of those extremes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gay picnic defence posted:

Is there data yet on who the breakthrough cases are occurring in? Age? Time since vaccination? Underlying conditions?

Breakthrough cases have always been factored into the vaxxed populations since the vaxxes were only ever rated at 95% efficacy against symptomatic infection to start with, and statistics on asymptomatic breakthrough infections were always hard to come by because there's not many large populations doing regular surveillance testing. The delta variant pushes the vaxx efficacies even lower and the CDC chose not to collect info on mild breakthrough cases so the data is even spottier now. There's still lots of elderly/immunocompromised/comorbid people developing breakthrough cases but anecdotally there's also lots of younger 'healthy' people getting breakthrough cases as well.

Also don't forget that Gov Abbott got a breakthrough case even though he was fully vaxxed and had taken a sneaky booster shot before those were available to the general public so don't assume that boosters will stop breakthrough cases either.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Does an organ donor that has passed from covid-19 provide viable organs for transplant to those that have been vaccinated? I want to believe that the answer is yes, but then there is the issue of bringing an organ contaminated with a novel virus to a host that by necessity must be immunosuppressed in order to prevent rejection of the transplant.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Does an organ donor that has passed from covid-19 provide viable organs for transplant to those that have been vaccinated? I want to believe that the answer is yes, but then there is the issue of bringing an organ contaminated with a novel virus to a host that by necessity must be immunosuppressed in order to prevent rejection of the transplant.

No you can't use those organs

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/28/delta-variant-unvaccinated-children-elementary-schools/

Great article with projections on attack rates in schools based on protections in place + community spread, rationale for FDA delaying <12 EUA (they are worried about myocarditis but the amt they increased the study size by isn’t enough to catch that so ???), and a bunch of other stuff.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

No you can't use those organs

Given that an awful lot of covid deaths are after failed long-term ventilation it's unlikely that any of those organs are gonna be in much shape to be transplanted anyway - lungs are obviously out, the kidneys are likely to have been destroyed by acidosis, there's going to be all sorts of fun stuff lurking in the heart and liver too thanks to clotting and other side effects of severe covid, and that's without even getting into the comorbidities that the majority of covid deaths were likely to have had. They tend to prefer organs from suicides and road accidents for a reason.

(I'd guess the waiting list for corneal transplants has never been lower though, so every cloud)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Given that an awful lot of covid deaths are after failed long-term ventilation it's unlikely that any of those organs are gonna be in much shape to be transplanted anyway - lungs are obviously out, the kidneys are likely to have been destroyed by acidosis, there's going to be all sorts of fun stuff lurking in the heart and liver too thanks to clotting and other side effects of severe covid, and that's without even getting into the comorbidities that the majority of covid deaths were likely to have had. They tend to prefer organs from suicides and road accidents for a reason.

(I'd guess the waiting list for corneal transplants has never been lower though, so every cloud)

Yes to all that, though funy you mention corneal transplants cause there's some clinical anecdotes that COVID vaccine could be loving with corneal transplants

https://www.aao.org/editors-choice/two-cases-of-corneal-transplant-rejection-after-co

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
good news:

Spinz posted:

Let them eat paste.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018