Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

dogstile posted:

Yeah, if a game doesn't tell you how to do things, i've got no problem looking it up. Survival threads are an incredibly weird place to make the complaint, because most of the games don't get finished and never add an in game way to find out how to do poo poo.
I also think there may be a 'how much you're willing to gently caress around before you give up and look it up' disconnect. I can't think of a game I've played in the past couple years where I had to look something up because I couldn't figure it out myself - I'll use wikis but it's out of sloth/curiosity instead of being stuck. But I don't fault someone for not having the time or inclination to spend a couple hours loving around learning before they get to the really detailed/long-term parts of a game - you play games for fun, so whatever makes it more fun for you is valid.

GlyphGryph posted:

Well I checked but however thats supposed to work there's nothing. I didn't even know windows had that feature.
The feature's there but I don't think it automatically makes backups of anything unless you specifically tell it to. Which is great to learn when you first need it! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Well I checked but however thats supposed to work there's nothing. I didn't even know windows had that feature.

It's a strange feature that seems to be inconsistent on windows 8/10. There's a way to set it up specifically (file history) but it is very picky about hard drives. It can do it via restore points as well, but that seems hit or miss. My laptop has piles of stuff it can restore, my desktop has nothing. Both seem to be set up the same way.

I thought it was worth a look. Sorry you lost all that stuff and also your base over a stupid bug.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It was worth checking, I appreciate the suggestion.

I'm actually still playing the save, sort of thinking of it as an opportunity now. I got lucky in that my inventory was full of most of my most immediately important stuff, including both the furnace and the workbench I was planning on putting in its spot, so I don't need to remake either of those. And it happened literally hours after the last blood moon, so I have time to recover. Apparently just picking up the furnace at all even without the bug would have still destroyed like 60% of my resources, which for some reason I hadn't even thought to worry about! :v: Of course, it still means I'm at zero for all the advanced resources I was hoping to do cool stuff with, but... it's recoverable. The worst part was losing all my farms and seeds, probably, but even that isn't a huge deal.

So I'm gonna build a new base in a new location with a new design where all my important poo poo is going on the ground, maybe on top of this cool mine area I somehow stumbled upon.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
When you say "furnace" do you mean "forge" or some other thing?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Unless I missed it, I haven’t seen anyone talking about Voidtrain. I had it wishlisted on steam but happened to see it was available on Epic. Started playing with a buddy.

It kind of rules? It’s not particularly “hard” I would say - I forget now if it had a difficulty setting but surely we’re on normal if there is. It seems mostly a fight about gathering enough resources, but the combat/threats do seem to be ramping up a little bit. I really don’t want to say too much about the game - not that I’ve found any super deep twists to spoil, but it’s a really cool idea and the best “take your base with you” survival game I’ve played, at least compared to Volcanoids or Raft. (Admittedly Raft might be better because it’s more or less a complete game, but from what I’ve seen so far I enjoy the base looting/production loop of Voidtrain better.)

There’s some annoying things: Deconstructing doesn’t give a full refund and you end up desperately wanting to move stuff a lot of the time. Sometimes you feel like you’re in a bit of a holding pattern waiting for the right resources to be tossed at you while there’s not really enough storage to horde the items you don’t need in huge numbers, but then you inevitably want those resources later. Ultimately though it’s super charming and different and I’m really digging it. I’ve always wanted to be a VoidSoviet train engineer fighting VoidNazis and Voidsharks, I just didn’t know it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've watched some footage and it looks really promising, but I have no idea why they decided to make the inventory management so obnoxious. As you mentioned, half-refund on deconstruction, plus incredibly tiny inventories (chests hold 3 items?) and the complete lack of passive or even growable or "targeted" resources makes it needlessly grindy. I've never seen a game praised for its super restrictive inventory in review, so I don't know why some games insist on doing it this way.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I've watched some footage and it looks really promising, but I have no idea why they decided to make the inventory management so obnoxious. As you mentioned, half-refund on deconstruction, plus incredibly tiny inventories (chests hold 3 items?) and the complete lack of passive or even growable or "targeted" resources makes it needlessly grindy. I've never seen a game praised for its super restrictive inventory in review, so I don't know why some games insist on doing it this way.

Can’t disagree! Honestly I don’t mind the grindy/limited space that much except for the refund. If it has full refund for moving I may not even notice the space issues that much. I’m just very charmed by the presentation and style of the game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How far in are you? I've talked with two different people who said the same thing about not minding the grind, then hours later switched to "this could definitely use some balance tweaking". I guess it seems like the main reason that's a problem is that you never actually step up your resource production in any way? In Raft, you can get passive resource collection from those nets, and you can make farm plots for commonly needed resources like wood. But no matter how far you are into Voidtrain, you still just pick up items one at a time as they happen to drift by.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah Voidtrain is one that I think looks cool as hell, but from watching some people on Twitch play it for awhile, I think I'm content to let it cook a little more in Early Access and see where it comes out.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m not far, we just got the steam engine researched, so I assume it could change.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anyone have any thoughts on Insurmountable? Currently %20 off

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Insurmountable? Currently %20 off

I really enjoyed it! It isn't much of a 'Survival Simulation' like most other games in the thread , though. It is more of a boardgame than anything, moving your character around uncovering locations on the board, while snagging items/equipment that will help refill stats or make future situations easier to handle.

There's a good amount of stat juggling while you try to climb all the way up the mountain(s), but it stays fairly fun as you make your way up and upgrade your gear.

If you think a boardgame with hex movement that is centered around mountain climbing sounds interesting, they really nail that concept down. Survival Simulation? Not really.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I got a project zomboid server…cause I dunno it was cheap. lol

I think it’s 5+1 limit, but it can be increased if needed, anyone interested or even have previous PZ server experience and just suggestions?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I got a project zomboid server…cause I dunno it was cheap. lol

I think it’s 5+1 limit, but it can be increased if needed, anyone interested or even have previous PZ server experience and just suggestions?
It's pretty lightweight to just run your server locally, FYI. I have one up on my home PC and I play zomboid on it while hosting with 4-5 pretty regularly.

On my local server I've:
Turned off the need to rest. It's really annoying to deal with when you have 3+ people running around in different places.
Increased XP gain and decreased book reading time because skilling up is enough of a chore in a game where you're expected to die repeatedly.
Increased starting trait points by 10
Halved the loudness of vehicles. At at normal volume they attract zombies from way further than I think they should.
Turned off item respawning.
Turned off zombie respawning.

I've messed around with the advanced zombie AI settings pretty extensively, but honestly the default values seem to "feel" the best. Having zombie strength and speed set to random's kinda fun, but leads to goofy gimmick tactics like kiting sprinters away from the pack and then picking everyone else off slowly. It also gets really annoying getting one-shotted by super strong zombies when they're all by their lonesome after the half dozenth time. YMMV though, so feel free to play around.

Messing with the day length is tempting, but it takes so long to progress through to winter even at 1hr/day that I caution against it.

Other suggestions for build 40 MP. Don't read further if you don't want spoilers:
Food:
Steal the "ICE" freezer chests from everywhere. They're 60 space spread over two tiles, but freezing makes food last 25x longer vs. 5x for refrigeration. Once my farm's up and running I try to have 3-5 freezers loaded from front to back with my harvested crops in the order I pull them from the ground. This allows you to grab the food that's going to go stale first and keeps the newer stuff in reserve; just keep rotating the older stuff to the front and you can make it through the winter no problem. That said, you can keep growing crops in the winter for the most part.
Roasted veggies are pretty godly in the late game, but baking bread and making sandwiches is pretty lightweight and once you can fish/trap they're a tasty alternative; this also allows you to use up some of the condiments lying around.
Making Pasta/Rice I only do if I'm running low on fresh veggies and/or I'm just sitting on a bunch of them.
Try to get some form of water collection up in your base ASAP. Rain barrels preferably, but cookpots/ bowls/ buckets/etc work as well when placed on the ground outside. You'll need it for both your crops and yourself.

Good Traits:
I don't waste trait points on things that I can skill up naturally, i.e. mechanic, carpentry, etc. I make an exception sometimes in the early game if I want to get a head start on barricading/car theft/etc., but after that hump's over they're non-optimal.
Athletic is a trait that is godly in the early game and still really nice in the late game.
Dexterous is great for the cost.
Get Stout at least, Strong if you can fit it.
Fast Reader's OK, but if you need those two points for something else, ignore it
Thick Skin is nice, but kind of pricy for the number of times its saved my rear end
Resilient is a trap; it only helps against normal infection and not zombie infection
On build 40 Speed Demon is nice if you have a trait point left over, but on build 41 I've switched to Sunday Driver because cars just feel so fragile and hard to control at high speeds.

Bad Traits:
Stealth's kind of poo poo in build 40 so I just go with Conspicuous and Clumsy off the bat. With athletic you can pretty much run away from any bad situation.
Weak Stomach's not that bad. Once you're making your own food you won't be eating anything questionable anyway
High Thirst is OK to. You'll need to carry an extra water bottle, but once you're collecting rainwater you never really run out.
Smoker's not a bad choice since cigarettes are plentiful in Zombieland and it frees up points for other good traits.
Hard of hearing is kind of lovely since it makes it easier to be snuck up on, but I find Short Sighted to be useful if I need the points since most of what you're doing's going to be close quarters anyway.

Classes:
Lumberjack is a killing machine. Get an axe and go ham on zombies. With the knockback from the strong trait it's hilarious fun
If you want to make bombs the engineer is the only one who can make the good stuff
Other classes are good if you're trying to achieve a specific goal or RP someone special. Most of the trade classes (Electrician, et al) give you all the recipes that you'd normally have to find/read a magazine for.

Other items:
Find a generator for your base ASAP; you'll need this to keep your freezers running. Self storage places and random sheds/garages seem to spawn them most frequently. Try to find a 2nd before the power goes out so you can leave one at your closest gas station for refueling runs.
I find guns to be completely useless and by the time you can use them safely/have enough ammo, they're eclipsed by the damage you can do in close quarters combat. If I'm infected and going to die anyway I'll grab a shotgun and a couple boxes of ammo to run off into the wilderness and die with, but otherwise I find them best avoided. In MP with PVP hostiles I imagine guns may have their place; I don't play like that tho.
You can gas up your vehicle by pulling up to the pump and right clicking on the vehicle if you're close enough.
Gas stations have infinite gas and are your late game power source. Try to secure one near your base ASAP for safe refueling.
The Wiki's really helpful if not completely fleshed out, don't neglect it.

Christ there are a million other things I could point out, but that's enough from me. That said, I was late to the earlier conversation about watching youtube tutorials and whatnot, but I'll say that Zomboid's one exception I make. I'm not against them per se, but I like figuring things out on my own. Games like Oxygen Not Included make it fun and reasonably intuitive. PZ kinda does the opposite.

A lot of things you can do, you won't even know you can do unless you have the right tool in your main inventory. Not even in a bag in your inventory, but in your main inventory, and there's not even any consistency there. Some actions it will check your carried bags, nearby containers, and even the ground nearby; other things need to be directly in your main inventory because the dev has absolutely no consistency in the application of crafting/inventory checks. Build 41 seems to have addressed a lot of these, but man build 40 is just chock full of them. Sometimes you need to right click on the item that does something to another item in order to get the action you want, other times you have to right click the item that the action is being applied to. At least with some light googling and a Youtube tutorial or forum post I can get some clarity and restore my sanity.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

With them putting a limit on gasoline amounts in B41, the mods that add more food preservation are even more necessary.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

With them putting a limit on gasoline amounts in B41, the mods that add more food preservation are even more necessary.
Yeah, a good bit of the advice above is kind of out the window in B41.

Speaking of, that's another bit of advice I should have added. Don't bother with the food preservation mechanics in the base game. I was hopeful, but instead of making pickled food or jellies, it just puts 4 of the selected item in a jar and increases the amount of time before they go from fresh to stale. Complete waste of time. Oh, and jar lids are the big gate to this miracle technology, which are consumed with the recipe. There was so much wasted potential in that mechanic, especially considering the exhausting detail that was put into the cooking system.

I played a few months on B41 though and I have to say that it'll take a long rear end time to exhaust a single gas station's reserves, let alone all of them. Nearly every place I use as a long term safe haven has at least three stations within a couple hours drive time. I'm the kind of person who'll leave the car running the entire time I'm out looting somewhere, because nothing sucks worse than trying to escape a bunch of zombies than having your car refuse to start back up until the 3rd try. Even then, I can leave it running for days before I even get to <1/4 tank.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First of all thank you so much for all the amazing server suggestions. I apologize for the late reply as I’ve been sick recently, but I didn’t want to let such awesome posts go without acknowledgment.

With that said if you all want to give my server a try…and watch as I probably give myself food poisoning.

Also it would be kind of funny if they made it in off brand medical items (or animal ones) like horse tranquilizer or dewormers and when a character used them, they just get sick and the game would be, like why the gently caress would you use that? Or perhaps that’s more a Rimworld thing? lol

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

First of all thank you so much for all the amazing server suggestions. I apologize for the late reply as I’ve been sick recently, but I didn’t want to let such awesome posts go without acknowledgment.

With that said if you all want to give my server a try…and watch as I probably give myself food poisoning.

Also it would be kind of funny if they made it in off brand medical items (or animal ones) like horse tranquilizer or dewormers and when a character used them, they just get sick and the game would be, like why the gently caress would you use that? Or perhaps that’s more a Rimworld thing? lol

I've kind of fallen down the rabbit hole in X4 since it finally went on a deep enough sale for me to justify buying it with the expansions, but if you want to PM me the server info maybe I can try to log on this weekend.

I was kind of disappointed in the lack of alternatives in the medications as well, but really the only thing you need to have is bandages and disinfectant. From what I understand, the chance to get the zombie infection is a flat 7% for scratches and 100% for bites, regardless of the methods you use to heal. Everything else can be overcome with just a little rest. Speaking of, Slow Healer's another negative trait that I tend to use regularly. It takes longer for scratches to heal, but not long enough that you're out of commission for days.

Antidepressants, Painkillers, and the like are OK in a pinch, but their duration is so short that I find them to be just a waste of precious inventory weight. My brother did a gimmick build with an agoraphobic and carried around a pile of beta blockers to stave off the panic, but outside of edge cases like that I don't find them useful. Being a smoker allows you to ignore a lot of the panic effects of those traits by having a cigarette anyway.

Other advice:
If you end up getting hurt on your upper/lower arms, stay home. Your damage output is reduced considerably, and you'll waste a bunch of weapon durability if you're trying to kill zombies while injured. It also affects the speed at which you perform other important activities such as getting in/out of your car, equipping/unequiping, etc. You're better off tidying up at home and taking care of routine things like reading books, vehicle maintenance, tending crops, what have you. Leg injuries slow you down too, but if you took my advice and went with Athletic you're not going to have to worry about getting overrun.
You can sterilize bandages and ripped sheet by boiling them. If you do this, you can skip applying disinfectant to your wounds before bandaging. This saves time and prevents you from having to carry around a separate bottle of disinfectant or alcohol wipes. I usually just keep a pot of water on my stove/in my microwave and when I'm at base I fire it up and disinfect any dirty ones in my inventory.
Don't endanger yourself by stomping crawlers, just hit them with your weapon until they stop moving. I can't tell you the number of foot/shin injuries I've had thanks to those bastards.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I saw someone who made a gimmick build which included athletic, agoraphobic, adrenaline junkie, and cowardly, where you basically spend all time outside at maximum panic but you can outrun sprinter zombies while taking ages to tire.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://youtube.com/c/ambiguousamphibian

Can also check out amphibian's zomboid games for hints

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Hey guys, question for new player to Scum.

I'm playing single player to learn the mechanics and not get sniped or griefed, so I found a church and decided that it would prob make for a good place to setup fire, storage, etc.

Last time I entered though, all of a sudden stupid puppets/zombies appeared out of nowhere. I understand that the zombies respawn in buildings, but is there not a way to "claim" a pre-existing building to prevent that? Googling the problem has competing answers, some saying that a flag is sufficient, others saying you need flag AND a lock on the door, and finally a third saying its a known bug and there;s not way to prevent it other than turning off zombie spawning in singleplayer console / .ini files.

I really have to say, if there's no way to prevent this, I can't think of a bigger game-breaking mechanic that's stupider than zombies respawning in your hideout, and it actually make be a deal breaker for me (I'm playing the free weekend of Steam and otherwise was loving the game).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oysters Autobio posted:

Hey guys, question for new player to Scum.

I'm playing single player to learn the mechanics and not get sniped or griefed, so I found a church and decided that it would prob make for a good place to setup fire, storage, etc.

Last time I entered though, all of a sudden stupid puppets/zombies appeared out of nowhere. I understand that the zombies respawn in buildings, but is there not a way to "claim" a pre-existing building to prevent that? Googling the problem has competing answers, some saying that a flag is sufficient, others saying you need flag AND a lock on the door, and finally a third saying its a known bug and there;s not way to prevent it other than turning off zombie spawning in singleplayer console / .ini files.

I really have to say, if there's no way to prevent this, I can't think of a bigger game-breaking mechanic that's stupider than zombies respawning in your hideout, and it actually make be a deal breaker for me (I'm playing the free weekend of Steam and otherwise was loving the game).

Generally either or will suffice. I've had an impression before that a locked/claimed building would stop puppets from spawning inside, but of course with an EA game, bugs are possible. I have not seen a single puppet spawn in our official server base during our time here, though, with a flag and locked doors.

On officials you can't place flags in towns, so keep that in mind. (although you can place it on those smaller farms)

If you are really keen on keeping places clean until you learn the game, you can turn indoor spawning completely off on singleplayer, but that of course turns off ALL puppet interior spawns.

Generally the puppet spawns aren't random: they tend to spawn where players are. They won't just roam around the world randomly in empty spots. If there aren't a lot of players around, you might see quite a few of them where you are.

e: I did ask around too and it really seems like there are several opinions. Someone suggested putting a blockade over all windows prevents spawns.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 28, 2021

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

TeaJay posted:

e: I did ask around too and it really seems like there are several opinions. Someone suggested putting a blockade over all windows prevents spawns.

Man, you'd think that this would be fairly sorted out mechanic given that its kind of what defines a base afterall. Last time too I didn't even leave my base for long, literally was maybe like 20m away from it and then when I ran inside I almost got murdered from two spawning in.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NatasDog posted:

I've kind of fallen down the rabbit hole in X4 since it finally went on a deep enough sale for me to justify buying it with the expansions, but if you want to PM me the server info maybe I can try to log on this weekend.

I was kind of disappointed in the lack of alternatives in the medications as well, but really the only thing you need to have is bandages and disinfectant. From what I understand, the chance to get the zombie infection is a flat 7% for scratches and 100% for bites, regardless of the methods you use to heal. Everything else can be overcome with just a little rest. Speaking of, Slow Healer's another negative trait that I tend to use regularly. It takes longer for scratches to heal, but not long enough that you're out of commission for days.

Antidepressants, Painkillers, and the like are OK in a pinch, but their duration is so short that I find them to be just a waste of precious inventory weight. My brother did a gimmick build with an agoraphobic and carried around a pile of beta blockers to stave off the panic, but outside of edge cases like that I don't find them useful. Being a smoker allows you to ignore a lot of the panic effects of those traits by having a cigarette anyway.

Other advice:
If you end up getting hurt on your upper/lower arms, stay home. Your damage output is reduced considerably, and you'll waste a bunch of weapon durability if you're trying to kill zombies while injured. It also affects the speed at which you perform other important activities such as getting in/out of your car, equipping/unequiping, etc. You're better off tidying up at home and taking care of routine things like reading books, vehicle maintenance, tending crops, what have you. Leg injuries slow you down too, but if you took my advice and went with Athletic you're not going to have to worry about getting overrun.
You can sterilize bandages and ripped sheet by boiling them. If you do this, you can skip applying disinfectant to your wounds before bandaging. This saves time and prevents you from having to carry around a separate bottle of disinfectant or alcohol wipes. I usually just keep a pot of water on my stove/in my microwave and when I'm at base I fire it up and disinfect any dirty ones in my inventory.
Don't endanger yourself by stomping crawlers, just hit them with your weapon until they stop moving. I can't tell you the number of foot/shin injuries I've had thanks to those bastards.

Thank you so much! I’ll send you the login info and feel free if you want to invite a friend along too, honestly my goal of fronting a server cost was to get a goon zomboid server for fun and bullshitting, and that can put up with my experience mostly coming from YouTube. lol

Azhais posted:

https://youtube.com/c/ambiguousamphibian

Can also check out amphibian's zomboid games for hints

Oh yeah I love watch his videos. Especially the recent survive in a car one. That was pretty drat awesome, same with the never leaving the house one.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
So guys, is anyone playing icarus? opinions and thoughts?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oysters Autobio posted:

Man, you'd think that this would be fairly sorted out mechanic given that its kind of what defines a base afterall. Last time too I didn't even leave my base for long, literally was maybe like 20m away from it and then when I ran inside I almost got murdered from two spawning in.

This is from a dev on Steam:

xKiCkx [developer] 1 hour ago
once you lock the house no puppets are supposed to spawn in it.

But if you are talking about simply puppets spawning on locations around you, then yes is working as intended, since single player spawn rates can be a bit more brutal due to you being the only one there. (normally they would be more spread out due to more players)

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Pigbottom posted:

Hard to make an opinion as it's basically a tech demo at this point. The piece I was excited about was the session based gameplay but that's not really in the game yet.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

TeaJay posted:

This is from a dev on Steam:

xKiCkx [developer] 1 hour ago
once you lock the house no puppets are supposed to spawn in it.

But if you are talking about simply puppets spawning on locations around you, then yes is working as intended, since single player spawn rates can be a bit more brutal due to you being the only one there. (normally they would be more spread out due to more players)

Thanks! Appreciate you connecting with a Dev on this, I must have went through 5-10 posts from Steam forums to Reddit and it was all just speculation. Now I just need to have the engineering skills to actually make a drat lock.

Anyone here familiar with the server settings .in file modifiers? I want a situation where after I clear a town, no interior zombies will ever spawn in again. I know it's intentional that they respawn, but I find it hokey and not immersive. I know I can turn off interior spawning zombies altogether, but I don't want to do that because I still ofcourse want them to spawn on new buildings I'm entering for the first time. I just want to be able to clear a house and know that it's always clear. Is there anyway?

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 28, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oysters Autobio posted:

Thanks! Appreciate you connecting with a Dev on this, I must have went through 5-10 posts from Steam forums to Reddit and it was all just speculation. Now I just need to have the engineering skills to actually make a drat lock.

Just remember your engineering skill determines the level of locks you can make. Of course in single player this makes no difference and the iron lock will suit you just fine. (also intelligence determines how far your skills can go. I believe you need 3 INT for advanced in any skill now.)

The various locks in PVE like the bunkers, air drops and police station lockers you can pick are meant to be easier. Once you start opening player-made locks, they're quite a bit harder.

quote:

Anyone here familiar with the server settings .in file modifiers? I want a situation where after I clear a town, no interior zombies will ever spawn in again. I know it's intentional that they respawn, but I find it hokey and not immersive. I know I can turn off interior spawning zombies altogether, but I don't want to do that because I still ofcourse want them to spawn on new buildings I'm entering for the first time. I just want to be able to clear a house and know that it's always clear. Is there anyway?

I'm not much into editing settings but I know there's a fairly extensive guide by Feudal who runs his own server:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzhrpGO2flk&hd=1

Not sure if you can do what you are asking for. If you can't find it on there, your best bet is probably posting about it on the Steam discussion, the devs do answer quite frequently, especially during work hours.. or the Discord, but questions tend to drown out in there sometimes.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Pigbottom posted:

I can't pin down exactly why, but I'm really enjoying it and can't wait to see all the different features they add estimated weekends go by. The game just seems to be full of interesting takes on the survival genre.

Anecdote: My friend simultaneously discovered that backing into a campfire in a wooden house will set herself on fire, then the house on fire, then the entire nearby forest that was surrounding the house.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

TeaJay posted:

Just remember your engineering skill determines the level of locks you can make. Of course in single player this makes no difference and the iron lock will suit you just fine. (also intelligence determines how far your skills can go. I believe you need 3 INT for advanced in any skill now.)

The various locks in PVE like the bunkers, air drops and police station lockers you can pick are meant to be easier. Once you start opening player-made locks, they're quite a bit harder.

I'm not much into editing settings but I know there's a fairly extensive guide by Feudal who runs his own server:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzhrpGO2flk&hd=1

Not sure if you can do what you are asking for. If you can't find it on there, your best bet is probably posting about it on the Steam discussion, the devs do answer quite frequently, especially during work hours.. or the Discord, but questions tend to drown out in there sometimes.

Thanks, I decided that for this silly situation I felt fine just spawning in a lock for my base. Same thing happened where I walked all the way to a river and tried to fill up some empty soda bottles and the 'Fill' button was greyed out and wouldn't let me do it, so I just spawned in some 0.5L water to make up for it. Thank god for singleplayer on this game though, thats for sure.

edit: just discovered the exploding zombies, not my cup of tea when it comes to immersion. I saw a dev post from 2020 saying they would look at a way for private servers (I'm assuming this includes just single player?) to disable them, but haven't seen anything newer saying that was the case.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 28, 2021

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Pigbottom posted:

Feels like Ark without dinosaurs, and a different multiplayer model. Not much content yet but IMO doesn’t feel like anything new.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Unless I missed it, I haven’t seen anyone talking about Voidtrain. I had it wishlisted on steam but happened to see it was available on Epic. Started playing with a buddy.

It kind of rules? It’s not particularly “hard” I would say - I forget now if it had a difficulty setting but surely we’re on normal if there is. It seems mostly a fight about gathering enough resources, but the combat/threats do seem to be ramping up a little bit. I really don’t want to say too much about the game - not that I’ve found any super deep twists to spoil, but it’s a really cool idea and the best “take your base with you” survival game I’ve played, at least compared to Volcanoids or Raft. (Admittedly Raft might be better because it’s more or less a complete game, but from what I’ve seen so far I enjoy the base looting/production loop of Voidtrain better.)

There’s some annoying things: Deconstructing doesn’t give a full refund and you end up desperately wanting to move stuff a lot of the time. Sometimes you feel like you’re in a bit of a holding pattern waiting for the right resources to be tossed at you while there’s not really enough storage to horde the items you don’t need in huge numbers, but then you inevitably want those resources later. Ultimately though it’s super charming and different and I’m really digging it. I’ve always wanted to be a VoidSoviet train engineer fighting VoidNazis and Voidsharks, I just didn’t know it.

I like voidtrain but agree that the inventory management is obnoxious, especially the lack of minecraft-style shift+click stuff which should be in all these games at this point but for some reason is not.

Speaking of games without inventory management shortcuts:

Pigbottom posted:

Game sucks, OP! They're supposed to be releasing this in November? Absolutely not. The game runs like absolutely garbage on my extremely recent PC, and the only meaningful differences between icarus and ark (aside from the stuff that they TOOK OUT, like pvp and dinosaurs):

* 10, count them TEN, vanilla-wow-style talent trees. TEN OF THEM. And they suuuuuuck!
* The temporary session/mission/reward thing which doesn't even seem to have been started on yet, so how is it going to be ready for november?

It's just mining a bunch of metals you can't use for free XP, so you can learn to make a thatch wall and get a 3% movement speed boost, and then dropping them on the ground right now.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Yeah, I guess I'll take a pass on icarus for now at least. Thanks for the replies guys.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oysters Autobio posted:

Thanks, I decided that for this silly situation I felt fine just spawning in a lock for my base. Same thing happened where I walked all the way to a river and tried to fill up some empty soda bottles and the 'Fill' button was greyed out and wouldn't let me do it, so I just spawned in some 0.5L water to make up for it. Thank god for singleplayer on this game though, thats for sure.

edit: just discovered the exploding zombies, not my cup of tea when it comes to immersion. I saw a dev post from 2020 saying they would look at a way for private servers (I'm assuming this includes just single player?) to disable them, but haven't seen anything newer saying that was the case.

Maybe some of the bottles you were trying to fill already had some liquid in them, therefore you couldn't fill them until you spill out the contents first.

The exploders are pretty easy to cheese to simply trigger them first - then they start to beep, and that starts a timer which makes them explode when it runs out, even if you don't actually engage them. Or just shoot them in their midriff where the explosion belt is.

When you have played SCUM for a few years EA you tend to learn to think outside the box. Once there was a bug that caused a fatal error and crashed your game if you drove the admin drone and turned on its lights. A very 2018'esque bug lately has been a desync bug that may throw your vehicle high up in the air if you don't relog to fix it.

However, I like a bit of PvP, although not a huge fan, my enjoyment comes from the survival side and the outdoors aspect of the game. And it's getting expanded all the time. I especially love the fishing. The river deltas are very quaint places to fish.

The pike is not my most dangerous catch, though.

Just as an added reminder, it is a free weekend at SCUM and the game is -50% off - prime time to buy it. Certainly worth the price.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 28, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So in cool news, an older MacPro from 2013 runs Zomboid perfectly and the same with Rimworld..though the characters look really weird. Best part is the other survival games can just be played using GeForce Now, so I can return my shield back to Microcenter, and save a bunch of money. The shield is actually pretty drat cool, just the remote seems to hate working.

Also PZ and RW are so insanely fun that it’s great I just can play it on a large screen and not in the older area I had my computer stuff lol (ie the basement).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It blows my mind that Icarus had such massive hype and this enormous preview campaign and then it's just "Multiplayer Survival Crafting Prototype #4124" where you craft stone tools and you build huts out of straw.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It probably would have worked if they had done literally with the entire point of the game as marketed. Like if they had a loop where you gather resources, put them on your ship, launch for some kind of XP bonus, and then touch down in a new spot to do it all over again I'd probably be hooked right now.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

30.5 Days posted:

* The temporary session/mission/reward thing which doesn't even seem to have been started on yet, so how is it going to be ready for november?
This is crazy to me because the whole "session-based" structure was what piqued my interest in the first place (and also it's like the very first line in the description). :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Insert name here posted:

This is crazy to me because the whole "session-based" structure was what piqued my interest in the first place (and also it's like the very first line in the description). :wtf:

FWIW there are "sessions", but the "session" lasts for the entirety of the beta weekend, and ending the session by lifting off in your ship doesn't actually seem to work- it says it'll wipe your inventory, give you bonuses based on what is wiped, & destroy the world & you have to start a new session, but it actually just wipes your inventory. There are no rewards, and starting a new session during the beta weekend brings you back to the exact same spot, with your buildings there still intact. You can't even load stuff onto your ship, the ship inventory screen doesn't have any slots.

Like they haven't actually bothered to do the thing they've been advertising for like 6 months.