Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So‐called scientists:

Me, an intellectual: “this looks like the perfect vehicle to send into a hurricane.”

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
hopefully nola will survive this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil..._Hurricane_Rita

Since Katrina, the US, through the Army Corps of Engineers, has made a $14.45 billion investment in the area around New Orleans. Some of the projects include:[2][permanent dead link]

The world's largest water pump station (Gulf Intracoastal Waterway West Closure Complex) which can pump 1 million US gallons (3,800 m3) per minute and will cost $1 billion. [3]
Hundreds of levee and pump station improvements. [4]
The IHNC Lake Borgne Surge Barrier, the longest storm surge barrier in the United States
The Seabrook Floodgate, a floodgate at the connection of Lake Ponchartrain with the Industrial Canal

this is interesting to watch too, involving work to reclaim lost wetlands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaqPx3Rden0

but in the long run eh... might be better off just abandoning it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I know this isn't really the point but couldn't they just install gates on all the freeway on ramps that say "closed for Contraflow" and lock them shut? Would take like a dozen police a couple of hours to lock a couple hundred of gates or am I missing something? This seems like one of those problems that can only exist for governments.

That's how I-64's set up leading out of Hampton Roads: https://www.pilotonline.com/news/columns/article_3ed30268-9127-55c2-9061-ab9d614a49aa.html

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
Recon and satellite looking insane right now. Seriously if you know anyone in southeastern Louisiana, get them to leave now, there is still time. This looks like Laura but much bigger population center

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Not to be outdone, Bezos is going to blast hurricanes with flying dildos.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
A "wide wingspan" rocket sounds like the kind of thing I'd make in kerbal space program

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

its incredible how many people are convinced elon musk is some sort of genius inventor type, and not just a 14 year old redditor in the body of a 60 year old balding billionaire lmao

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

paperwind posted:

A functional state could have pulled this off with no notice in a matter of hours. I'm looking at you, China.

Um, are we talking about the same China? The one where it rained hard in some city and people got stuck in trains in flooded underground metro tunnels, half submerged in water?

Paradoxish posted:

I mean yeah I kind of expect the richest country in the world to be able to pull something like this off in way less than 24 hours.

It's funny how often "but it's haaaaaard!" seems to come up to justify government inaction on matters of safety and public well-being. There should be plans for this kind of thing that are read to go literally at a moment's notice.

Come on, what the hell is this poo poo. Do you have any idea how many people live in NOLA, not to mention surrounding towns and cities? And how many of those don't have cars, and would have to be bussed out? No country in the world could evacuate tens of thousands of people like that in 24 hours.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Just flew through the storm in flight simulator, was very cool.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

UnknownTarget posted:

Just flew through the storm in flight simulator, was very cool.

How fast did you go?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

SirPablo posted:

How fast did you go?

Very.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Slow News Day posted:

Come on, what the hell is this poo poo. Do you have any idea how many people live in NOLA, not to mention surrounding towns and cities? And how many of those don't have cars, and would have to be bussed out? No country in the world could evacuate tens of thousands of people like that in 24 hours.

completely missing the point

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
the people on americanwx are freaking the hell out, that’s a good sign right

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Slow News Day posted:

im sure the hurricane will be understanding about the difficulty

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
would be worth it, just to see musk melt down on twitter and call the head of the national hurricane center a pedo when they rebuff his offer of whatever ineffectual piece of crap he forced his slaves to cobble together over the weekend.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Slow News Day posted:

Um, are we talking about the same China? The one where it rained hard in some city and people got stuck in trains in flooded underground metro tunnels, half submerged in water?

some people don't have cars so might as well not do anything then.

like it was posted above, we've done it before.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
huh, this a new phenomenon to me
https://twitter.com/nwspueblo/status/1431837002366816265?s=12

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
to the people breathlessly coming into this thread to post their scorching takes about how this would never have happened in a functional country

all i have to say is

lol, lmao

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mola Yam posted:

would be worth it, just to see musk melt down on twitter and call the head of the national hurricane center a pedo when they rebuff his offer of whatever ineffectual piece of crap he forced his slaves to cobble together over the weekend.

Everyone knows that when you need worthless quackery science that involves the Gulf of Mexico, you call Kevin Costner. :colbert:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Slow News Day posted:

Yeah, it's 40k people. It's right in the post I quoted, which I actually read before responding unlike you.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
has anyone tried blocking the hurricane, absorbing the chip damage but having the chance to land a far more damaging combo in return?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Radirot posted:

hopefully nola will survive this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil..._Hurricane_Rita

Since Katrina, the US, through the Army Corps of Engineers, has made a $14.45 billion investment in the area around New Orleans. Some of the projects include:[2][permanent dead link]

The world's largest water pump station (Gulf Intracoastal Waterway West Closure Complex) which can pump 1 million US gallons (3,800 m3) per minute and will cost $1 billion. [3]
Hundreds of levee and pump station improvements. [4]
The IHNC Lake Borgne Surge Barrier, the longest storm surge barrier in the United States
The Seabrook Floodgate, a floodgate at the connection of Lake Ponchartrain with the Industrial Canal

this is interesting to watch too, involving work to reclaim lost wetlands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaqPx3Rden0

but in the long run eh... might be better off just abandoning it.

Because of climate change, all this will be unable to protect south Louisiana in 4 years, according to the Army Corps of Engineers

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Because of climate change, all this will be unable to protect south Louisiana in 4 years, according to the Army Corps of Engineers

Might not even do it now. Someone in the weather nerd thread posted this:

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1431416325885202432

Hadn't heard that until now. Going to see if these are back up since yesterday.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Happens with decaying, elevated showed and storms in dry environments due to compressional heating.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Shear Modulus posted:

your mom has an impressive vigorous deep convection

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hurricanes aren't real

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/1431842527724797958?s=20

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She's bombing out

https://twitter.com/burgwx/status/1431842156524699653

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Nuke the loving thing Jesus Chist idiots

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

crepeface posted:

has anyone tried blocking the hurricane, absorbing the chip damage but having the chance to land a far more damaging combo in return?

the hurricane vortexes you with a low

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, it's 40k people. It's right in the post I quoted, which I actually read before responding unlike you.

You may have read it, but you apparently did not even pause to think about it. At all.

40k people without cars, spread out all over the city. On top of over 1 million people living in the greater metro area!

Your average greyhound holds 50 passengers, give or take. So, for 40k people, that's about 800 buses that would need to remain on standby at all times, along with drivers.

Those 800 buses need to somehow pick up 40k people (or have those people come to them at pre-designated evac zones), then transport them several hundred miles, within the span of less than 72 hours? And do that via highways that have been clogged up with several hundred thousand cars and trucks, and gas stations that have been tapped out?

C'mon. That level of effort and coordination can never be undertaken no matter how rich a country is or how much of a well-oiled machine its various levels of governments are.

The 72 hour minimum window is not some sort of magic number they have come up with. It's in the guidelines published by the National Association of Governors.

Slow News Day has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Aug 29, 2021

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
This thread doesn't appreciate nuance, you're not gonna get anywhere.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
The messaging is terrible though. They should have a shelter for those 40k people if they aren't going to have an action plan like that. I had people this morning tell me they weren't evacuating because the mayor didn't make it mandatory + loving tulane twitter didn't think it was a big deal. Like you need actual leadership trying to do best for most people, not cya "welp we can't evacuate everyone so might as well muddle the message". It's dumb as shut. They should be pulled in front of congress and forced to explain their idiocy

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SirPablo posted:

This thread doesn't appreciate nuance, you're not gonna get anywhere.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Slow News Day posted:

You may have read it, but you apparently did not even pause to think about it. At all.

40k people without cars, spread out all over the city. On top of over 1 million people living in the greater metro area!

Your average greyhound holds 50 passengers, give or take. So, for 40k people, that's about 800 buses that would need to remain on standby at all times, along with drivers.

Those 800 buses need to somehow pick up 40k people (or have those people come to them at pre-designated evac zones), then transport them several hundred miles, within the span of less than 72 hours? And do that via highways that have been clogged up with several hundred thousand cars and trucks, and gas stations that have been tapped out?

C'mon. That level of effort and coordination can never be undertaken no matter how rich a country is or how much of a well-oiled machine its various levels of governments are.

The 72 hour minimum window is not some sort of magic number they have come up with. It's in the guidelines published by the National Association of Governors.

That 72 hour guidance is extremely outdated. We've had years of hurricanes going from Cat 1 to 5 overnight. They need to come up with better plans and they've had the time. It's a lack of will, not wealth or manpower.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lower pressure in the eye means stronger right? I think katrina was 900 at it's strongest

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
how did it go from "they should have been able to start up contraflow" to "they should have evacuated everyone"?

Also I think people escaping to the east and west is partly because the storm is going to continue inland for a ways, so they might be flash flooding further inland/north than there is east to west

https://twitter.com/WxmanFranz/status/1431850524563890176?s=20

it does look to be wobbling west though, if it keeps on that track it might largely bipass new orleans, which would be cool

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pryor on Fire posted:

dude we NEED the data don't ask qeustions

if we don't get that data it's just going to get stronger

only data can save us now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Slow News Day posted:

we flew 20k people out of one airfield in 24 hours