Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Starting dwarves: look for
a tactician / leader -- analytic, kinesethetic, memory
A trader with appraisal and good memory and likes commerce
A doctor who enjoys helping others and memory - adequate in the five docs, memory
Carpenter, smith, engineer
A miner and a woodcutter.

Just fell over this, and I'm wondering, how can you access dwarves traits before they embark? I can't enter their stats before embark anyway..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Is the bookkeeper still infinitely prescient, having done the stocks once they remain done forever according to their dwarven superbrains? I haven't actually played in close to a decade.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
iirc stock accuracy slowly degrades, but the bookkeeper can just spend like 5 minutes a year in his office to update them, so you'll never even notice it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tias posted:

Just fell over this, and I'm wondering, how can you access dwarves traits before they embark? I can't enter their stats before embark anyway..

Their description screens can be accessed with the "v" key from the embark menu when on their names.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

super nailgun posted:

I think I have everything set up right with my bookkeeper, but they're refusing to update stocks... Am I missing something here? Do I need to specifically provide them with a shittier office? The doors are passable, too, I checked.

This just looks like a genuine glitch to me. I don't think it has to do with the priority of the job because the error specifically says "needs office".

It looks like you've already tried making someone else the bookkeeper. I guess I'd just try to make another office, other than that I have no idea.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It's almost certainly just that he didn't clear the bookeeper of other labour tasks.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Yeah clear all activities, and make sure you give specific instructions to the bookkeeper on the noble screen. I think bookkeeper is the only job that has nested commands on the noble screen.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Pharnakes posted:

It's almost certainly just that he didn't clear the bookeeper of other labour tasks.

It looks like it was actually because the office (despite saying it was an 'office' when the job only wanted a 'meager office') wasn't high enough quality for the level of accuracy I was asking for. I turned it down to lowest level and he started checking stocks immediately.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
When was that change made? I'm still on the version from two years ago and always get perfect accuracy from nothing more than a plain mudstone table+chair.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

when did bookkeeping quality start to depend on the fanciness of the office instead of the skill of the keeper? that makes less than no sense

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

I think it might still be a glitch tbh because everything I'm reading says you should be able to do up to max accuracy with even a lovely office.

Tried messing around with removing all other work, and reassigning to other dwarves, and getting the same behavior. I'm going to try a fresh fortress and see what happens.

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 10, 2021

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
If the office quality was a problem, I believe the text would've been yellow (or red if he had no office at all). Haven't played in quite some time but I believe white means the requirement is filled.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

PublicOpinion posted:

If the office quality was a problem, I believe the text would've been yellow (or red if he had no office at all). Haven't played in quite some time but I believe white means the requirement is filled.

That makes sense to me and maps with what another friend who plays has seen too.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

ok yeah that was 100% a glitch with that one fortress. I started a fresh one and set up the bookkeeper in a 2x3 with a chair and a door and they're fine with max accuracy set. didn't remove other tasks either, but it was a fresh start so a craftsdwarf didn't have much to do anywway. anyway, weird poo poo, but that's why we play this game right?

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 10, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah I have literally never had my bookkeepers labors generate a job cancellation message of any kind, let alone one that says "needs office"

In fact my bookkeeper is always either a busy farmer or craftsman because I know they only need a spare second every year or so to keep the records up to date.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
My starting seven is almost always Miner/Armorer ; Miner/Weaponer ; Miner/Metalcrafter ; Carpenter/Cutter/Bowyer ; Mason/Architecht/Engineer ; Herbalist/Brewer/Cook/Farmer ; Stonecrafter/Mayor, and I make the Mayor the bookkeeper ( and every other noble role ) . He can usually get everything to 5 digit accuracy before the end of the first month, and then I never think about it again.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I love the idea of a bookkeeper with accuracy set to none.

"How many barrels of beer do we have?"
"1?"
"How many Hornzangle the unearthing, artifact bone war flute do we have?
"5207?"
"Keep up the good work"

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I’m getting used to the climbing and pit jumping since I last played but how do I stop crossbow dwarves from rolling out of the fortifications and onto a dozen gobbies?

Tias
May 25, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Their description screens can be accessed with the "v" key from the embark menu when on their names.

:aaaaa:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kaewan posted:

I’m getting used to the climbing and pit jumping since I last played but how do I stop crossbow dwarves from rolling out of the fortifications and onto a dozen gobbies?

I think one workaround is double-layering your fortifications since dwarves can "jump" through a single layer of fortifications but if there's another fortification blocking it when they try they'll do something else. Other good practices to follow are to make your fortifications and walls out of stone or wood blocks, this will result in dwarf-made smooth-stone structures that can't be climbed (or at least it's really really hard to do).

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Putting a lava moat at the bottom helps prevent anyone from being able to reach it to climb it at all.

Also good for disposing of the corpses of dwarven idiots.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Hahah I think I’ll go with option A. I somehow never thought to carve built walls into fortifications. Also I read somewhere that not building floors on top of walls leaves a gap for things to get in on the roof. Is that true?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kaewan posted:

Hahah I think I’ll go with option A. I somehow never thought to carve built walls into fortifications. Also I read somewhere that not building floors on top of walls leaves a gap for things to get in on the roof. Is that true?
You can't carve built walls into anything. A built structure will be rough or smooth depending on if a boulder or blocks were used, respectively. You construct a constructed fortification.

A constructed fortification does not support construction of anything above, so most people tend to roof over them. This is a good idea because flying enemies are annoying.

I still say you should do lava. It's a classic for a reason.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
During winter I’ve had the goblins wreck my army but not before I took out 80 or so of them. But now that the river’s flowing again I can just say gently caress it we’re gonna make do with the southern forests. Not actually cause soon as I send dwarves out there to forage for food bam a cyclops shows up.

Time to eat the emergency supply of dogs, dig deeper and say gently caress the surface.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dwarf Fortress: More work on menus! There are so many menus...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/975370/eventcomments/4758602630156505853/

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
As I’m digging deeper im wondering how many squads I should prepare for in my future dwarves army? In my abandoned above ground fort I made two barracks thinking I wouldn’t getting more than a dozen or so gobbies for the first few years. Instead I was getting armies in the hundreds…

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Basically once you've got your various food/booze/industrial needs sorted then every other dwarf can be drafted. The only 'limit' is what your FPS can handle, at around 110 dwarves total in the fort I find everything is slow and trending toward unplayable. One thing I think can be done is the game can be modified to put a hard cap on the number of invaders which can be useful if you want to keep your own fort's population manageable.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Haven't tried this version, and now my dwarves produce 'shaken' messages a lot, even though needs are met and I've had no deaths. What is shaking, and how do I get rid of it?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Seems to be a new alert informing me the dwarf in question has seen the corpse of a dead acquintance.

Seems a little redundant to create a purple alert for, though some indication of coming spirals are always nice.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Any current LPs going on?

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I got a fuckton of cages with all sorts of captured critters in them, that I'd like to use for target and axe practice. I just did it with a cage with a scarecrow man in, and it worked fine, but now when I press (b)uild-(j)cage, all that's one the menu is a single empty cage, whereas before I had my pick of all my cages, empty or not. The cages, with creatures, are still languishing in a stockpile nearby, and I've made sure they're not forbidden or dump designated. What am I doing wrong?

E: The loving door was forbidden, my bad :doh:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2948156842580837111

Hospitals now become a multizone location like temples and taverns!
Also some more interface stuff.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i wonder if some of the long-standing hospital bugs will be fixed along with that. or some of the not-technically-bugs-but-still-really-annoying-features, like how hard it is to train doctors without creating some kind of injury-generating megastructure and abusing your own citizens to half-death.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Danny Glands posted:

Any current LPs going on?

The last one I know of petered out. Be the change you want to see in the world!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The only thing I know about hospitals is you should never put them right beside the tavern

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you could train doctors using animals and enemy cadavers that would be cool

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tarezax posted:

If you could train doctors using animals and enemy cadavers that would be cool

Tending animals give medicine xp I think so.you could shoot some till down and rescue em and train up that way.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The update mentioned guilds allowing demonstrations of tricks of the trade so I wonder if there will be some kind of medical guild with surgeons doing live/public demonstrations - would not be too far away from actual historical precedent

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Maugrim posted:

The update mentioned guilds allowing demonstrations of tricks of the trade so I wonder if there will be some kind of medical guild with surgeons doing live/public demonstrations - would not be too far away from actual historical precedent

This is already kind of the case with libraries pretty sure, scholars will totally teach medical skills. Dunno how much of a difference it makes in practice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

How do I keep my dwarves from tantrum spiraling? I ended up with around 100 dwarves, and after losing a couple to violence I started having several of my squad leaders and the captain of the guard dropping in and out of fugue states and depression. It seems like keeping my dwarves sane is a lot harder than prior editions (they have all amenities, beautiful rooms, large dining halls, statue parks, hot baths etc. etc. ). I play Masterwork if that offers any perspective.