Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Nah, its like maybe my third playthrough but I always end up stopping in the middle for whatever reason (for x-com 2 wotc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TheWeedNumber posted:

Is there a way to beeline for plated armor? It feels like that’s the only time you’re actually able to survive poo poo.

2 advent trooper corpses for hybrid materials -> 15 alien alloys for plated armor

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've been saving the links to big posts about mods in this thread for a future playthrough, have a look:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3762067&perpage=40&pagenumber=1288#post514950093

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762067&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1289#post515008628

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762067&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1302#post516567805

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3762067&perpage=40&pagenumber=1305#post516974543

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3762067&perpage=40&pagenumber=1306#post517014809

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Thank you! I'll probably stick to the general bug fix and qol stuff but I'll definitely try an improved AI mod so I can chill on normal difficulty.

Looks like Yellow alert and diverse pods

poe meater fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 27, 2021

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
A little late to the party, but I'm pretty interested in seeing what the gameplay reveal looks like.

The way it reads to me sounds an awful lot Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and that would absolutely be my jam.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
As someone who has never cared about super heroes, the constant cultural obsession with it permeating into nearly everything has me always feeling out of place.

I guess I'll just be happy for the people who are getting what they want... again.

poe meater posted:

Thank you! I'll probably stick to the general bug fix and qol stuff but I'll definitely try an improved AI mod so I can chill on normal difficulty.

Looks like Yellow alert and diverse pods

If you use yellow alert, I would install a mod called Dynamic Encounter Zones. It increases the spawning radius of enemies and how far they can patrol, so they won't be as bunched up as they normally are. Yellow Alert makes enemies super responsive to any noise so you are likely to pull multiple pods constantly, and using vanilla spawning they will all be pretty close to each other.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
does ghost rider look like trollface in the comics now or is that an artistic choice by firaxis

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Yup, I got that mod too. I failed my first mission by underestimating my sniper's range, underestimating sectoids and their mind control, and then getting someone killed by a car. Feels good to be back!

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

does ghost rider look like trollface in the comics now or is that an artistic choice by firaxis

It’s a different Ghost Rider than Johnny Blaze

https://www.google.com/search?q=gho...biw=414&bih=719

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Robbie owns and he’s a great Ghost Rider

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kris xK posted:

In the eurogamer (?) interview Solomon says Marvel approached them immediately after xcom2 and the first meeting was basically the Devs and marvel talking about xcom2. So hopefully they're playing to their strengths.

solomon said the game is what it is because midnight sons was his favorite comic book which is too profoundly lame to be a lie

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

lol imagine liking comic books

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Furism posted:

Tacticool futuristic combat is better than Super Heroes. Change my mind.

Yeah, this.

I just hope this game didn't delay XCOM3 just because someone (2K or Firaxis) wanted a slice of the pile of money that the Marvel IP is.

The only good Marvel game I have seen/played since the MCU came along was the Spider-Man one, the rest have been consistently trash. Heck I can barely remember any comic games from my youth that were ever anything beyond barely good but boosted by the license.

It isn't even (often) the fault of the studios behind them, it's just that allure of easy money and very swift publication rate of comics and their stories that tends to push out crappy titles.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
IIRC Midnight Sons was in fact pretty terrible, so that might explain why only 2 (?) of the original members are in the game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kris xK posted:

IIRC Midnight Sons was in fact pretty terrible, so that might explain why only 2 (?) of the original members are in the game.

there's still four characters left to reveal it's not too late for Morbius the Living Vampire

god I hope it's too late for Morbius

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i realize this is a derail but this isn't exactly the most poppin time for xcom news so i'll just ask the dumb question: what made midnight sons so bad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Coolguye posted:

i realize this is a derail but this isn't exactly the most poppin time for xcom news so i'll just ask the dumb question: what made midnight sons so bad

The short answer is "they were comics Marvel published in the 90's"

The long answer is that the whole set-up was bizarre and disjointed - Marvel wanted an "edgy" supernatural team but also didn't want to fully commit, so instead of giving the Midnight Sons their own book Marvel instead did what it always did and made it a kind of crossover/branding thing so you'd be reading Ghost Rider and then a bunch of chucklefucks show up to sidetrack the plot. It doesn't help that aside from Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange the original team roster is pretty D-tier (well besides Blade who Wesley Snipes singlehandedly saved from obscurity)

Add in that most of the Midnight Sons stories were written by notorious industry hack Howard Mackie and you have a recipe for a team largely forgotten by time.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Ghost rider, dr. strange and blade seems like it could work. Ridin bikes, doin magic, killin vampires.

Got big questions about fiery mohawk guy between blade and ghost rider tho.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Ghost rider, dr. strange and blade seems like it could work. Ridin bikes, doin magic, killin vampires.

Yeah on the face of it, this IP should rule

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Got big questions about fiery mohawk guy between blade and ghost rider tho.

oh that's VENGEANCE, the 90's attempt to edgy up Ghost Rider even more than how edgy a motorcycle flaming skull man is by default

somehow I don't think he's going to make the cut

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

evilmiera posted:

The only good Marvel game I have seen/played since the MCU came along was the Spider-Man one, the rest have been consistently trash. Heck I can barely remember any comic games from my youth that were ever anything beyond barely good but boosted by the license.

It isn't even (often) the fault of the studios behind them, it's just that allure of easy money and very swift publication rate of comics and their stories that tends to push out crappy titles.

Marvel Heroes was good, but partially because it was trash. A real land of contrasts.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I laugh at how bad all these old comics are, yet here we are with the most boring fuckin' marvel/avengers films being blockbusters year after year.

None of us have any taste, I swear.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I imagine someone will make a Midnight Suns thread closer to release so those of us who want to talk about Frank Drake, the millionaire playboy who wields an "Exorcist Gun" he named Linda, can talk about it without making GBS threads up discussions of Mutons and snake women

Incidentally I've had Chimera Squad on my hard drive since release and for some reason have never played it so now I think I'm going to do that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I imagine someone will make a Midnight Suns thread closer to release so those of us who want to talk about Frank Drake, the millionaire playboy who wields an "Exorcist Gun" he named Linda, can talk about it without making GBS threads up discussions of Mutons and snake women
yeah that's my suspicion, but for right now the big news is the world's worst legend/ironman/grim horizon run that i am STILL doing with soulmata on twitch, and i don't even announce that because it feels super scummy to be like 'HEY WATCH MY THING'. so in the meantime i think we can all take a little derail to figure out what this entire rigamarole was and how dumb or un-dumb it sounds.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

also gently caress haters chimera squad is good. it's not hard like xcom 2 is (the hardest difficulty on it is like...maybe as bad as commander ironman in xcom 2), but we fully intend to be playing it after the current grueling xcom 2 campaign is done.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Coolguye posted:

also gently caress haters chimera squad is good. it's not hard like xcom 2 is (the hardest difficulty on it is like...maybe as bad as commander ironman in xcom 2), but we fully intend to be playing it after the current grueling xcom 2 campaign is done.
It's true, it's a good game, even if people were/are very mad that it wasn't XCOM 3. The smaller scale works.

That being said, I am looking forward to the new game because it sounds like a Jake Solomon passion project, even if it's backed by the biggest entertainment company on earth.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They apparently bought a bunch of Heroclix and used them to "storyboard" out the gameplay like they did for Enemy Unknown

If Midnight Suns fails it certainly won't be for lack of effort

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Chimera Squad on the Switch yet? That seems to be one of the most obvious ports to do...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Coolguye posted:

I didn't even know that there were haters. Chimera Squad is a $20 game that released at $10 and plays like a $40 game. It's a really fun and complete experience, even if it doesn't have the length and depth of XCOM or XCOM 2.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kanos posted:

I didn't even know that there were haters. Chimera Squad is a $20 game that released at $10 and plays like a $40 game. It's a really fun and complete experience, even if it doesn't have the length and depth of XCOM or XCOM 2.

quotin'

i only played through it once and felt like i got more than my money's worth

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I actively hate most of the CS characters, it's not hard, and I still love replaying it. It's so great.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Best Friends posted:

I actively hate most of the CS characters, it's not hard, and I still love replaying it. It's so great.

none of them are Good People, really

maybe the shield guy because he's literally 3

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Finally got X-COM 2 + DLCs and I'm having a lot of fun. Though after 6 hours I'm probably going to just start a new campaign. The combination of Veteran difficulty + the Assassin having Shadowstep from the start is absolutely doing me in. I have no idea how to deal with a Chosen who can just swoop in, daze and almost kill one of my guys before vanishing again.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vulin posted:

I have no idea how to deal with a Chosen who can just swoop in, daze and almost kill one of my guys before vanishing again.

Be more aggressive. You can’t really wait to flush her out, so you’ve got to run her to ground. It’s a fine balance between fanning out enough to search and having other soldiers close enough to get in shots/grenades, but that’s your best bet on dealing with her when she’s got Shadowstep.

(Or abusing your Reaper’s shadow ability to get LoS on her, then unloading every explosive you’ve got in that general area)

Also, torch any cover nearby so you have better odds of getting eyes on her. That one is a tough nut to crack, but it’s doable.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vulin posted:

Finally got X-COM 2 + DLCs and I'm having a lot of fun. Though after 6 hours I'm probably going to just start a new campaign. The combination of Veteran difficulty + the Assassin having Shadowstep from the start is absolutely doing me in. I have no idea how to deal with a Chosen who can just swoop in, daze and almost kill one of my guys before vanishing again.

A few ways: letting her extract intelligence from someone can get her to gently caress off and stop killing your people, and the strategic implications aren't bad unless you do it every single mission she is in. Second, I'm pretty sure the first chosen is hardcoded to have a weakness to the special class you start with (Or Reapers (?)) if you turned on the story part of the DLC. So use that class to gently caress her up if you can. If your Reaper is available and still in stealth, her movement is really useful for revealing the assassin. She gets the same type of concealment you do, so once you flank her she is revealed. A fast-moving invisible sniper helps a lot with revealing her, but other ways work as well. There is no good way to prevent her from hitting and wounding one of your troops (infirmaries help with getting them back on their feet, as does having two A teams and two B teams) but if you follow the camera when she runs you can likely reveal her and force her to gently caress off the next turn. Early on she definitely makes you fight against the idea that taking a hit is a somehow a failure. She will hit you. That's ok.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I have a question about the mission where you mark supplies for pick up. I had one where I had the Lost and the Chosen in it. It seemed like I had to kill all the remaining lost to end the mission even with all Advent dead (I think they were). So technically can it last forever if I'm too slow between waves?

Also do I get points if the Chosen dies to the Lost or an exploding car? I found the Assassin with a couple of hit points left surrounded in the corner of the map before finishing her off.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

poe meater posted:

I have a question about the mission where you mark supplies for pick up. I had one where I had the Lost and the Chosen in it. It seemed like I had to kill all the remaining lost to end the mission even with all Advent dead (I think they were). So technically can it last forever if I'm too slow between waves?

Also do I get points if the Chosen dies to the Lost or an exploding car? I found the Assassin with a couple of hit points left surrounded in the corner of the map before finishing her off.

Yeah, if the Chosen dies to anything you get the points.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

poe meater posted:

What I can say is “the first time I ever killed a Chosen it was by setting off a claymore and a car with a launched grenade, and I got points for it,” but I’m of course not sure which of those damage ticks was the final one for the kill, and not sure if there would be a difference in kill credit if a car which player characters have never damaged got the final blow.

On the other hand, a way to ensure that this potentially infuriating edge case never happens is to give XCOM the points for a Chosen death when the death happens in a mission with no extra checks. It also eliminates most other potential edge cases where the player doesn’t get rewards for the deaths of the mini-bosses for whom the whole expansion is named, and unless nobody thought of it until the expansion was almost done it would be less work to build it that way. My hope is that if I can think of this while doing dabs on my porch during a lovely morning, one of the folks whose entire job it was to think about WotC for years is likely to have had the same thought.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Is there a mod that fixes the fact that in TYOOL 2021 Firaxis still cannot program properly functioning volume settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kanos posted:

I just played it outta my backlog and it was a hoot.