Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Note you'll have to opt into this new beta.

Yeah it's for some reason a new branch from the 1st beta.

Time to start a new game and experience no Magenta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Sydin posted:

lmao there's not a single drop of saltpeter on the entire continent. Time to go invade overseas with swordsmen so i can get muh guns. :black101:

Ahh, the old Reverse Conquistador

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Just click and drag the map.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

clicking sucks op

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Would be nice to have custom maps with 10 players and randomized spawn points

(For custom Earth map runs)

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I like using w-a-s-d like most other strategy games, so this is great. The fact that they have w-a-s-d and it sucks seems like a fine thing to fine frustrating. I'm happy they're fixing it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whats yall preferred game speed

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Anyone had a play with the map editor yet? Aside from rivers being tricky to place, I found it really fun. Gonna make a paradise continent and a Mordor Zone and see what happens.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If you want to have some fun, go for max move speed. I'm not sure how high you can get, but there is +1 in the first era, +1 in one of the religion tiers, and +2 from the aztecs. That gets your mounted units up to 10 speed, which is uh, pretty good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Stairmaster posted:

whats yall preferred game speed

First game was on normal and felt blazingly fast, second is on slow and while it started well, eventually I started snowballing and was pumping out multiple districts in one turn just like I could on normal speed.

Gonna try the slowest speed next.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Welcome to Fort Hun Killer where Hunnic hordes dash themselves on our palisades and die repeatedly.

They lost three entire stacks trying to force the walls and each time they've been repelled with some non-serious losses (and copius amounts of gold expanded to heal up troops) in exchange for wiping out Hunnic horde stacks.

For the last and final battle they brought in a ram and some random motley lot in order to breach the walls. Too bad they kinda died to the javelin troops and the rest were whittled down in succession upon the city walls (again).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've finished up two games so far, one for the default learning game they throw you into, then moved up to metropolis on a large map. Not super hard to win at that level, so I'll probably be upgrading and adding more aggro AI in future games. Phoencians into Carthaginians into the Dutch was loving wild. Boats on boats on boats. I found the new world in the Medieval era, which was pretty cool.

It also seems like there's a bug around achievements, I got the "complete a game on Humankind difficulty" one and it looks like a lot of people have it, too. :v:

I've already spent almost as much time in this as I have in Civ 6.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Is there a way to opt into the beta if you bought the game through the Epic Store?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

It also seems like there's a bug around achievements, I got the "complete a game on Humankind difficulty" one and it looks like a lot of people have it, too. :v:

yeah, i got that one on my first game on the lowest difficulty :c00lbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The game has become unplayable for me. It starts to constantly freeze roughly at the start of the classical era , mostly during diplomacy screen popups.

Come to think of it, it started when I've been trying to get a game going where everyone starts off on a small Pangea and there's a new world, so... maybe the engine can't handle everyone being cramped together on a small continent, somehow? I'll probably need to test more setups.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i love that you can make, and have to fight over, forts and cities where the natural terrain and city layout can turn them into absolute meat grinders. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it in a game before.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just started a new game on the beta patch and there are SIGNIFICANTLY more resources on the map, both strategic and luxury.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The luxury resources give loads of stuff.. weird if they increased those too.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Just finished the game by pollution (30k global) with australians, their stripmining and coal plants.
My cities' food balances were mostly positive (sans one, which was overpopulated), so I guess the game's definition of "unfit for human life" is different from mine.

Pollution is weird. It's both too strong and unnoticeable at the same time.

On a different note: Is there any way to tell how much trade goes through each city?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
In the latest beta the advisor keeps talking about other players "cultural wonders" and he won't shut up about how I'm at the end of an ideology axis. I think I'll turn him off next game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

After playing a couple of games on the new beta patch, which has a ton of great changes and just plays awesome now, I really think they need to do more about how districts work. Right now they have huge passive bonuses, which is what allows the industry focus playstyle to thrive. Who cares if no one can work any of your industry jobs, just slapping that district down gives you 30 industry. If anything it should be the other way, let food districts give you huge benefits with no workers to encourage you to grow into industry. Or something. I dunno.

Also while I'm not the best, and I'm bored, I figured I'd just add some comments about what I think the best civs for each era are.

Ancient: This one is easy, Myceneans are absolutely bonkers. Stability + production + the best unique unit of the era. Even their bonus for picking them is insane. If you can pick them and enjoy being able to bully everyone with no consequences. Egyptians are as well absolutely insane because industry is, and the chariot archer is great, but I think Myceneans are stronger overall. Babylon is who I want to focus on next, trying a one city/era challenge, as really any dual district is worth a second look at. Lastly I still love the Zhou, the AI never picks them, and if you get a decent amount of mountains they are great. Mediocre unit though. As well figuring out what the Austrians do kind of underwrites stability as a mechanic. Lastly I just want to say I think Harappa is way overrated. Sure their scouts are faster, but you can pull off the same shenanigans via good scouting.

Classical: Interestingly I don't think I have a one strongest pick in this era. The Celts have an incredible district for growth, but mediocre unit. Carthage might be my surprise favorite as it's district is three at once, but it really needs you to have a lot of coastal water. Achmaenids are a favorite of mine because they are an incredible 'come back' pick. What I mean is if you had a rough ancient era and have a big opponent who needs some humbling, Immortals are at a very early tech and incredibly strong. You can quickly turn the tides on a war, or go start one and conquer great swaths of land. As well the two free cities bonus is unique and notable for that alone. Greeks are a weaker Persia, but the Hoplite is really similar to the Immortal so it deserves a mention, as well the science civ ability to research an era ahead without ascending can let you get a lot of fame stars in the classical era. Maya the boring industry civ who need a mention because industry is busted. Lastly and most interestingly to me is Rome. Praetorians are strong but come way later in the tech tree, almost by the time you are ready to leave the era. Though their arches let you just constantly be at war forever if that's your thing.

Medieval: Khmer, no other civ exists in this era.

Early Modern: Mughals have a ludicrous % bonus when most are just a stupidly small flat bonus. I used to also really like Ming to shore up stability but again, Austria. At this point I've never really had to lean on or even think about unique units.

Industrial: Austria-Hungary, stability what's this? Their quarter gives you +1 stability for every district in this city, plus bonus for adjacency. You can easily get +60 stab from this thing, and then you repeat it in every territory in your city. Complete and utter joke. If you picked other stab civs Peria or Siam are decent with Siam again needing coastal waters but I think there are stronger picks earlier than the stab civs.

Modern: Turkey and Sweeden let you finish the game in 20 turns, but really every civ here is so strong it's not much slower to pick whatever.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've got a meat grinder city I'd have lost centuries ago if the AI was better at selecting units. They keep throwing one melee unit and a bajillion cavalry units against my walls. My defenders are 2 or 3 eras out of date but because they have a range advantage the attackers will never win. It's been great for learning how to exploit the environment, and planning expansion for defense.

Also fun fact you can go thousands of gold into debt and all that happens is a big stability hit to all your cities which doesn't matter if you have garrisons all over the place.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Clanpot Shake posted:

Also fun fact you can go thousands of gold into debt and all that happens is a big stability hit to all your cities which doesn't matter if you have garrisons all over the place.

I feel like more than one real-world ruler has adopted this policy.

After years of Civ, I am loving war and battles in HK. Scouting is essential, and it really pays off to know your frontier lands. As a few posters have mentioned, surviving a meatgrinder siege is really satisfying (especially watching the emblematic unit that terrorised your early game getting minced by your shiny new muskets.)
And on top of that, a good archer deathtrap is quite a different setup from a good musket deathtrap- your tactics have to keep evolving.
Game good.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Eimi posted:

After playing a couple of games on the new beta patch, which has a ton of great changes and just plays awesome now, I really think they need to do more about how districts work. Right now they have huge passive bonuses, which is what allows the industry focus playstyle to thrive. Who cares if no one can work any of your industry jobs, just slapping that district down gives you 30 industry. If anything it should be the other way, let food districts give you huge benefits with no workers to encourage you to grow into industry. Or something. I dunno.

Also while I'm not the best, and I'm bored, I figured I'd just add some comments about what I think the best civs for each era are.

Ancient: This one is easy, Myceneans are absolutely bonkers. Stability + production + the best unique unit of the era. Even their bonus for picking them is insane. If you can pick them and enjoy being able to bully everyone with no consequences. Egyptians are as well absolutely insane because industry is, and the chariot archer is great, but I think Myceneans are stronger overall. Babylon is who I want to focus on next, trying a one city/era challenge, as really any dual district is worth a second look at. Lastly I still love the Zhou, the AI never picks them, and if you get a decent amount of mountains they are great. Mediocre unit though. As well figuring out what the Austrians do kind of underwrites stability as a mechanic. Lastly I just want to say I think Harappa is way overrated. Sure their scouts are faster, but you can pull off the same shenanigans via good scouting.

Classical: Interestingly I don't think I have a one strongest pick in this era. The Celts have an incredible district for growth, but mediocre unit. Carthage might be my surprise favorite as it's district is three at once, but it really needs you to have a lot of coastal water. Achmaenids are a favorite of mine because they are an incredible 'come back' pick. What I mean is if you had a rough ancient era and have a big opponent who needs some humbling, Immortals are at a very early tech and incredibly strong. You can quickly turn the tides on a war, or go start one and conquer great swaths of land. As well the two free cities bonus is unique and notable for that alone. Greeks are a weaker Persia, but the Hoplite is really similar to the Immortal so it deserves a mention, as well the science civ ability to research an era ahead without ascending can let you get a lot of fame stars in the classical era. Maya the boring industry civ who need a mention because industry is busted. Lastly and most interestingly to me is Rome. Praetorians are strong but come way later in the tech tree, almost by the time you are ready to leave the era. Though their arches let you just constantly be at war forever if that's your thing.

Medieval: Khmer, no other civ exists in this era.

Early Modern: Mughals have a ludicrous % bonus when most are just a stupidly small flat bonus. I used to also really like Ming to shore up stability but again, Austria. At this point I've never really had to lean on or even think about unique units.

Industrial: Austria-Hungary, stability what's this? Their quarter gives you +1 stability for every district in this city, plus bonus for adjacency. You can easily get +60 stab from this thing, and then you repeat it in every territory in your city. Complete and utter joke. If you picked other stab civs Peria or Siam are decent with Siam again needing coastal waters but I think there are stronger picks earlier than the stab civs.

Modern: Turkey and Sweeden let you finish the game in 20 turns, but really every civ here is so strong it's not much slower to pick whatever.

I disagree with the celts having a mediocre unit. Its basically a swordsman unit, but with no iron requirement, +2 movement, and no penalty for having taken damage. The no iron requirement is incredibly good depending on your starting location, and might be one of the biggest unit swings if it comes up.

In general it sounds like you're not maybe fighting a lot of wars early? The early food cultures are incredibly strong because you spend minimal investment for a lot of pop, which lets you either progress on more stars (pop, money, science) and push to the next era fast with a good pop base or actually field tons of troops. Other options are going to need to spend production on food districts and stability to match that if an actual war comes up (outside of like, the way the huns work). You can get away with not doing that and outplaying the AI inside of battle, but all it really takes to have everything tumble down is them getting the ferocious event and clean sweeping your armies once.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ZypherIM posted:

I disagree with the celts having a mediocre unit. Its basically a swordsman unit, but with no iron requirement, +2 movement, and no penalty for having taken damage. The no iron requirement is incredibly good depending on your starting location, and might be one of the biggest unit swings if it comes up.

In general it sounds like you're not maybe fighting a lot of wars early? The early food cultures are incredibly strong because you spend minimal investment for a lot of pop, which lets you either progress on more stars (pop, money, science) and push to the next era fast with a good pop base or actually field tons of troops. Other options are going to need to spend production on food districts and stability to match that if an actual war comes up (outside of like, the way the huns work). You can get away with not doing that and outplaying the AI inside of battle, but all it really takes to have everything tumble down is them getting the ferocious event and clean sweeping your armies once.

Nah, I am fighting a lot of war early on. I mean that's why I love Mycenae. Granted the celts were something I used to play with a lot earlier, and now I tend to hang back to farm more fame and the AI LOVES Celts, so I rarely get them nowadays, so maybe I was just bad at fighting when I took the celts, because my experience of using their unit was just getting absolutely bullied. Granted I was fighting the huns, so I think alot of my strategy has also evolved into "Go a culture with a unique spear TO fight the huns."

Also quality has an insane modifier to how your units survive. And the higher base strengths of hoplites, immortals, legions, etc. mean they will more than likely win the battle to rank up as opposed to celtic berserkers. I suppose there is something to the fact that your protomachoi could become them though.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Celts fight the huns pretty well in my experiences so far, since your units have the map speed to keep up with horses and are cheap enough that you can crap them out and you have the pop growth to keep it up. They trade a lot better than most units because of the lack of penalty for taking damage.

The units you're comparing them to cost twice as much industry to put out, and with lower available pop the cost of losing one hurts more. I think those other units are better overall, but the gaeseti fit really well with the rest of the kit you get with the celts and when you combine the two they're not lacking.

The reason the harrapins are so good IMO is that most of their bonus is tied into their general benefit thing, and having huge free pop growth lets you rush through that era. That means you're likely to be hitting the next era first, with a lot of population, which lets you pivot in whatever way you want/need.

Every agriculture culture is similar, letting you rush through an era and give a big pop base to whatever you're doing next. Fitting one in somewhere is really good for that reason, and the trade-offs for doing it in the first two eras are a lot lower if you get the chance IMO. The later options are still extremely strong but the opportunity costs feel much higher.

I wonder how stacking the -unit cost civs work in practice. If they work additively getting them all would be -80% I think, but then there is that civic for -30% as well.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

You can stack a lot of -unit cost% to be able to pump out units for real cheap industry cost yeah. Ditto about that population cost though.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Went to war with the other civ on my continent, kicked his rear end. Used that to slingshot myself to twice the score as anyone else in the game and didn't look back from my 'build everything up as much as possible' game. Military? What's thaaaaat? Everyone is happy because I've bought out all the resources in the game.

Then the Zulu declare war on me, wipe out my meager standing army and every town is quickly headed to revolt because no matter how many theaters I plop down I can't stop the bleed.

I think I hosed up somewhere.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So, does anybody have any particular thoughts about transcending vs picking a new culture? +10% fame is nothing to sneeze at compared to some situational picks that may not be immediately useful to you if you're late in picking a civ.

In my current game, I got into the classical era quite late (actually on the same turn as most AIs, who slampicked what I consider the best civs for the ancient era). I was boxed in between two AIs who had larger territories than mine, so I picked the Romans who were somehow not yet chosen, with the intention of leveraging their ability and emblematic unit to punch my way out of this conundrum.

I actually managed to turn this situation around after two grueling wars (the Maya somehow got that +7 ferocity strength bonus mid-war and my swordsmen started dropping like flies until I could upgrade them to praetorians and turn the tide after holding out for 7 turns on the knife's edge of war support) and while I entered the Medieval more or less together with the AI, I decided to try ascending instead. The praetorians are actually close in strength to longswordmen and our continent only seems to have 2 iron deposits (of which I hold one) so I don't think I'll fall behind on front line infantry strength just yet.

The +10% fame bonus seems eg much more powerful than the Franks' +10% influence bonus or the Byzantines' very situational +5% per alliance bonus (since everybody on my continent is embroiled in perpetual war).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

So, does anybody have any particular thoughts about transcending vs picking a new culture? +10% fame is nothing to sneeze at compared to some situational picks that may not be immediately useful to you if you're late in picking a civ.

Ascending is only worth it if you really want to keep your current civ's bonuses because the fame is useless. You win by snowballing in the late game, so anything that builds up that snowball should take precedence over a bit of extra fame early on. Same thing when it comes to waiting to progress to a new era.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Yeah, the advice "wait with ascending so you can get more fame in the current era" is a bit of a trap in my opinion. Snowballing is way more important.

If I can ascend to the next era then I will unless there's no risk the AI will pick the civ I want and either:
- By waiting a few turns I can get an extra star or two. But it must be really close.
- I want to build the current unique district somewhere but can't queue it yet for some reason (not yet part of a city, stability too low).
- My cities are too busy that they won't have time to get the new unique districts yet anyway (for example because I'm building a wonder).

In other words, 90% of the time I'll just ascend as soon as possible, mostly for the unique districts. The faster you ascend, the faster you can build the unique districts and the better you are. Each era's unique districts is better than the previous era and they're a real game changer. Early game fame doesn't matter, because if you snowball succesfully you'll get a lot more fame late game and you can win the game anyway by finishing the tech tree or conquering everybody.

Eimi posted:

I haven't picked a civ that gives stability bonuses yet, simply because I never had problems with stability lategame (humankind difficulty). Perhaps the difference is that I tend to go for a lot of small cities with ~3 districts as opposed to a few megacities? Instead I usually pick Persians in the industrial age: the -25% cost reduction is completely insane.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ascending miiiiight be worth it with Khmers if you're planning on grabbing a whole lot of land and plopping down more Barays on them.

On an unrelated note, I think I just ran into a bug where I got the Caravel tech but I still can't build them. It's... rather frustrating.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Stability is a joke stat unless you fight tonnes of wars - keeping everyone peaceful and happy means you can buy every luxury in the world for a pittance and then you never have to even look at stability.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ascending is only worth it if you really want to keep your current civ's bonuses because the fame is useless. You win by snowballing in the late game, so anything that builds up that snowball should take precedence over a bit of extra fame early on. Same thing when it comes to waiting to progress to a new era.

On the other hand, the potential for snowballing using the emblematic quarters or abilities of the classical era or medieval era civs might not be as big. Most of the snowballing I encountered in the game, really set in around the early modern era, and most of the preparations for that hinge on things available to all civs rather than a specific emblematic quarter, unit or ability. I wonder if the 10% fame bonus might be worth it if you're expecting a close game (eg in multiplayer) and you plan around it by focusing on the generic units and districts in one of the early eras?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Megazver posted:

On an unrelated note, I think I just ran into a bug where I got the Caravel tech but I still can't build them. It's... rather frustrating.

Caravels aren't built. They're what land units turn into when they go into the sea.

Just won my first game on Metropolis difficulty. Some thoughts:

* I do feel like the game designers didn't understand just how much stuff you can get out of district adjacency, resources and infrastructure upgrades, 'cause I was getting the "Get 500,000 money over several game"-type achievements on my first game.

* Stability was never a problem, since I bought every luxury I ever saw, and went "builder" whenever I wanted to throw up a million districts.

* There are achievements for having a city with 20 and 30 attached territories. I never got anywhere near that number.

* I love the animations on Red Army Tank units, very clanky. Ship animations are weird though - they all turn head-on to shoot whatever they're targeting, which makes no sense.

* I wasn't able to find a score screen during the game. Is there one?

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 30, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think I'm inclined to agree that score almost doesn't matter on earlier eras because there's just so much of it tied into the contemporary era.

Like, has anyone had a game where their contemporary era wasn't their best era by score? That feels like a serious problem. I really like this game, but it feels like the score system needs a serious overhaul.

One thing I'd like to see is, rather than stars being worth fewer and fewer points as an era continues, "rare" stars in an era should become worth more. That is, if someone rushes out of an era, but the collect, say, no military stars, anyone who then gets military stars in that era should get more points. And so on.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Veryslightlymad posted:

I think I'm inclined to agree that score almost doesn't matter on earlier eras because there's just so much of it tied into the contemporary era.

Like, has anyone had a game where their contemporary era wasn't their best era by score? That feels like a serious problem. I really like this game, but it feels like the score system needs a serious overhaul.

One thing I'd like to see is, rather than stars being worth fewer and fewer points as an era continues, "rare" stars in an era should become worth more. That is, if someone rushes out of an era, but the collect, say, no military stars, anyone who then gets military stars in that era should get more points. And so on.

I've had early industrial be my best era once

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gort posted:

top left banner which displays your stars will display everyone's stars/fame when clicked, but wont tell you what era someone is in. thats the closest ive found to a score screen

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Gort posted:

Caravels aren't built. They're what land units turn into when they go into the sea.

Yeah the transport ships are very poorly explained. I had the opposite problem the poster above had where I was building ships not knowing there was an entirely separate class of automatic transport ships until I stumbled into the tech and started wondering how my scouts were going on water.

Re score screen, if you hover over your score you get a general rankings, but I don't believe there is a formal, actively ticking one. Might give too much info away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Gort posted:

* There are achievements for having a city with 20 and 30 attached territories. I never got anywhere near that number.

It's not that hard, you just have to go out of your way do to it. And you'll probably lose that game because it cripples you.