Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Y'all know the Icarus beta is an actual beta right? The current beta weekend is basically just a tech demo, massive amounts of features and contents aren't implemented yet. They plan to add in more parts of the game with each new beta weekend.

If what's available right now isn't your cup of tea, just wait for a later weekend and try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Umbreon posted:

Y'all know the Icarus beta is an actual beta right? The current beta weekend is basically just a tech demo, massive amounts of features and contents aren't implemented yet. They plan to add in more parts of the game with each new beta weekend.

If what's available right now isn't your cup of tea, just wait for a later weekend and try again.

Its supposed to launch in all of about 2 months. Even with this as a 'beta' its nowhere near to being launch ready in two months. Huge chunks of the game are missing entirely, this is not something that can be fixed in such a short timeframe.

edit: Like if it's somehow your bag, you do you, but there is no universe where this game is fit for launch in 2 months time. It is plain Not Done.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 29, 2021

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

these pullquotes are not exactly inspiring confidence

also yeah if you want to run what used to be a real beta now, you launch in early access. a "free beta weekend" is just a trial weekend to get people to buy the game.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

TeaJay posted:

However, I like a bit of PvP, although not a huge fan, my enjoyment comes from the survival side and the outdoors aspect of the game. And it's getting expanded all the time. I especially love the fishing. The river deltas are very quaint places to fish.

The pike is not my most dangerous catch, though.

Just as an added reminder, it is a free weekend at SCUM and the game is -50% off - prime time to buy it. Certainly worth the price.

I started wondering if there's such a thing as an extremely chill survival game, where you just wander through pretty landscapes, fish, track and chill in cozy cottages, but I remembered that's mostly just theHunter.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

I started wondering if there's such a thing as an extremely chill survival game, where you just wander through pretty landscapes, fish, track and chill in cozy cottages, but I remembered that's mostly just theHunter.

Arguably relevant but Red Dead Redemption 2 often satisfies this exact urge for me on a purely “chill out and wander” level, but it’s not particularly survivalish obviously.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TeaJay posted:

Just as an added reminder, it is a free weekend at SCUM and the game is -50% off - prime time to buy it. Certainly worth the price.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

Its supposed to launch in all of about 2 months. Even with this as a 'beta' its nowhere near to being launch ready in two months. Huge chunks of the game are missing entirely, this is not something that can be fixed in such a short timeframe.

edit: Like if it's somehow your bag, you do you, but there is no universe where this game is fit for launch in 2 months time. It is plain Not Done.

Sure, but they aren't pretending it's done. If in two months it's not in a good state, then they can just delay it and keep doing more betas/make it open beta. What's the big deal?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Umbreon posted:

Sure, but they aren't pretending it's done. If in two months it's not in a good state, then they can just delay it and keep doing more betas/make it open beta. What's the big deal?

Listen all they're doing is telling you it will be released in november and then charging you for it. If it turns out that it wasn't true and anyone with a brain would have known that, what's the big deal?

In fact, there's a non-zero possibility that the entire game loop will be present in two weeks during the next beta weekend (because they will be demoing the map where "faction missions" enter play so you know, if it didn't have faction missions that sure would be weird!) I guess I'll eat my words if that's the case (although the game is still 20 fps on a GTX3070 so if they release it, it will still be a joke) and they actually have the game they advertised. I'm, uh, skeptical, and also have a lot more questions in that case. You have to hit level 10 to go to the second map. Is the idea that on release, you'll have to play ark for 3-4 hours before getting to play the game you actually bought?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like they aren't pretending it's done, but they are pretending it's 2.5 months from release. If the thing they advertise as the main deal with their game isn't in, it's not. Like what's even the point of this beta weekend? It's not effective testing, it's not effective marketing, jesus.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have it say SCUM, looks interesting only had a few minutes to play, guess Conan isn't the only one with dong tech. Seems to work well on GeForce now, but I'll need to test it with an Ethernet hookup.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Umbreon posted:

Launching a playable beta that's missing the core feature of your game is a dumb idea from any angle.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Umbreon posted:

I assume you mean its *not* an actual beta? Betas are by definition feature complete (or at least "feature sufficient for release"). Thats kinda the purpose of a beta, to test all the features together before launch, that doesn't work if you dont have them. poo poo, even an alpha is supposed to have a complete golden path with all the core features, it sounds like they are still pre-alpha two months before launch which sounds... kinda crazy?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 29, 2021

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

Like what's even the point of this beta weekend? It's not effective testing, it's not effective marketing, jesus.

it’s dean hall baby

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I assume you mean its *not* an actual beta? Betas are by definition feature complete (or at least "feature sufficient for release"). Thats kinda the purpose of a beta, to test all the features together before launch, that doesn't work if you dont have them. poo poo, even an alpha is supposed to have a complete golden path with all the core features, it sounds like they are still pre-alpha two months before launch which sounds... kinda crazy?

Who's definition of beta are you using? I've played poo poo tons of betas that didn't have all the core features that were advertised. Hell, one of the main games that Icarus claimed to be borrowing features from is tarkov, a game that's basically perpetually in beta and missing shitloads of core features that have been promised, but the game is still fun as hell.

As for you other guys, I agree that they absolutely should have put more core features into their first beta weekend, but I don't think it's that big of an issue, as the game is still fun and it's going to get more fun as more stuff gets added.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
What are some good single player survival games I've wanted to get into this stuff, but I'm not too keen on multiplayer in general. Any of these that are more like RPGs? I've played UnReal World a bit and plan to get back to it but I'd like to know if there are other single player survival sims.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Umbreon posted:

Who's definition of beta are you using? I've played poo poo tons of betas that didn't have all the core features that were advertised. Hell, one of the main games that Icarus claimed to be borrowing features from is tarkov, a game that's basically perpetually in beta and missing shitloads of core features that have been promised, but the game is still fun as hell.

As for you other guys, I agree that they absolutely should have put more core features into their first beta weekend, but I don't think it's that big of an issue, as the game is still fun and it's going to get more fun as more stuff gets added.

Every single definition of beta I'm aware of requires all the core features (or at least the core features intended to be included at release) to be present. Whether you use the actual game industry definition (feature complete or close-enough version ready for full system bug testing) or the game publisher definition (feature complete well polished demo we can use to generate hype), I'm not familiar with any that apply to a game that isn't at least complete from beginning to end within the scope of the next intended release. It normally goes "pre-alpha" (active development), alpha (generally feature complete but probably not content complete and liable to explode if you look at it wrong), beta (feature complete, content complete, somewhat stable but more testing needed).

As for games like Tarkov, the whole conceit is that they are under active continuous development so their "perpetual beta" is a much different concept than a beta for a game that is going to be released, and means the game is constantly introducing new bugs the player base is constantly testing for but hopefully not ones bad enough to render it unplayable. "I am feature complete in terms of features intended for this version, but not yet stable, and I'm never going to be stable because I'm gonna roll the fixes from this beta version right into the next beta version that has its own feature list". Beta's as far as any version is ever gonna go (as opposed to the continued development games with stable releases, which are NOT in perpetual beta because they fully test each version before pushing it out to the public)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 30, 2021

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

There's also the fact that they already pushed the game back once, it was supposed to go on the 11th of august. To me this whole thing stinks of mismanagement. I would put even bets that they way overshot their promises and have already blown through every drop of cash, and are now trying to get some hype and rush out something that will hopefully make some money before their borrowed time runs out.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

dbzfandiego posted:

What are some good single player survival games I've wanted to get into this stuff, but I'm not too keen on multiplayer in general. Any of these that are more like RPGs? I've played UnReal World a bit and plan to get back to it but I'd like to know if there are other single player survival sims.

That depends somewhat on what you’re looking for.

Personally, I bounced off Unreal World and The Long Dark, but some folks love them.

Meanwhile, Project Zomboid (with a few mods) and Vintage Story have their hooks in me, and I play them as survival/building games. That you can do multi is irrelevant when you can set them both up for solo play, either chill or more hardcore.

I’ve not done Green Hell or SCUM but those both look interesting.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Personally, I bounced off Unreal World and The Long Dark, but some folks love them.

Meanwhile, Project Zomboid (with a few mods) and Vintage Story have their hooks in me, and I play them as survival/building games. That you can do multi is irrelevant when you can set them both up for solo play, either chill or more hardcore.

Green Hell or Subnatucia are really good survival games, that also allow you to customize the experience and difficulty.

I’d highly recommend Green Hell as it’s a bit more contained and thus not, build a working town here all by yourself.

Also State of Decay 2 is great and on Gamespass, some stuff is abstracted a bit, but I think it all works fine and the devs keep adding cool stuff.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Do you also want survival games that are perfectly enjoyable single player even if they are considered to be better multiplayer support, or just games that exclusively single player?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If you haven't played Subnautica, you really should if you're asking about single player survival games. I'm not saying it's guaranteed you'll like it, but it is the acme of a particular type of game and you should probably give it a shot.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

GlyphGryph posted:

As for games like Tarkov, the whole conceit is that they are under active continuous development so their "perpetual beta" is a much different concept than a beta for a game that is going to be released, and means the game is constantly introducing new bugs the player base is constantly testing for but hopefully not ones bad enough to render it unplayable. "I am feature complete in terms of features intended for this version, but not yet stable, and I'm never going to be stable because I'm gonna roll the fixes from this beta version right into the next beta version that has its own feature list". Beta's as far as any version is ever gonna go (as opposed to the continued development games with stable releases, which are NOT in perpetual beta because they fully test each version before pushing it out to the public)

The real conceit with Tarkov is that there are people who actually, earnestly believe the game is not feature complete and there's a ton of features that will eventually be added in and they're playing like a really stripped down version of what the game will eventually be like when "released". The game came out as a closed alpha in 2016, and apparently even began dev as far back as 2012, and there's still people who actually believe this "iTs in BeTa" nonsense today. I think the devs started dev on it so far back before the big explosion of continuous development / early access games that they can't just out and finally advertise the game as that instead of a "beta".

Don't get me wrong, I played for a solid year in 2020, got the stupid expensive package and will probably jump back online in the next big update when that big new urban map finally comes out, but there's no way the devs are going to massively change the scope of the game now that they have solid sales post-2020 Twitch explosion. People think the game will somehow turn into a survival game with pvp mechanics like DayZ or Scum eventually and right now is a pvp arena shooter just temporarily. What they don't get is the game is a pvp arena shooter with looting and survival mechanics, not a survival game with pvp mechanics, so any discussion over balancing or improvements to the game gets met with "well durr thats just what its like for now brodawg, it's eventually going to be open world so dont worry about it".

Like, there's still people who actually, unironically fully heartedly believe that the current version of ETS is a "beta" and that the eventual "released" version will be fully open-world. lol really? the main mechanic of the game are raids, and it already struggles with frame drops on those maps, it's peaked in popularity under that model and it even has a live action series called "the raid" for fucks sakes. There's a YouTube channel I used to semi regularly follow for news because it sounded like he had some good connection/scoop, but then I just finally realized he was literally just talking out of his rear end for most of his "news", and never qualified when he was stating actual news or just his own assumptions. I don't know why I thought some American YouTuber would have such a close scoop on a Russian dev team, but his videos are fairly popular.

That being said, the language barrier is fairly obvious on English language content with the devs because I swear 95% of the lists you see curated where the devs "promised" an eventual feature but the source was like an off-handed comment on an English language podcast or stream with Pestily or whatever, and it was probably more like they agreed with whatever idea and thought it was a cool one and they'd look into it.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 30, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

all you need to do is look at star citizen to see the power of making grandiose claims without backing them up

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wasn't even aware anyone thought Tarkov was going to be fundamentally different from how it is now, or even changed in any significant way beyond some new maps, guns, and maybe some tiny economy/loot balance changes. I'd definitely prefer it as more open, sandboxy, and with fewer forced encounters, but there's no chance of that happening and I doubt it was ever on the table.
I think a more realistic wishlist would be an official offline/singleplayer/co-op mode, since there's literally a singleplayer mod that works now, and would be even easier with baseline support, but even as badly as I want it I don't think that's realistically going to happen. The devs are incredibly set in their singular vision on how the game "should" be played. Nothing wrong with that, but something fans have to be honest about.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I tried SCUM on the free weekend they just had, and honestly it's not very good solo. It's essentially a Rust-like/battle royale/Day-Z where you run around scavenging for weapons and then you're supposed to shoot it out with other players I guess fighting over the resource drops.

Solo is just annoying busywork filling a ton of depleting meters and fighting anemic zombies sometimes. The crafting/building part is not super engaging either

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

If you haven't played Subnautica, you really should if you're asking about single player survival games. I'm not saying it's guaranteed you'll like it, but it is the acme of a particular type of game and you should probably give it a shot.

Holy crud I forgot about Subnautica, I love that game. I haven’t done Below Zero.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay, I haven't actually played Tarkov so took him at their word there. Substitute in some other game like, I dunno, Valheim or something.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

There's also the fact that they already pushed the game back once, it was supposed to go on the 11th of august. To me this whole thing stinks of mismanagement. I would put even bets that they way overshot their promises and have already blown through every drop of cash, and are now trying to get some hype and rush out something that will hopefully make some money before their borrowed time runs out.

The developer has basically infinite money to bankroll their games. Icarus is definitely going to be a game in "perpetual beta", Dean Hall might as well have invented the concept.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Green Hell or Subnatucia are really good survival games, that also allow you to customize the experience and difficulty.

I’d highly recommend Green Hell as it’s a bit more contained and thus not, build a working town here all by yourself.

Also State of Decay 2 is great and on Gamespass, some stuff is abstracted a bit, but I think it all works fine and the devs keep adding cool stuff.

State of Decay 2 is a really good single player experience IMO. I got a good 30 hours out of it playing on lethal, making it for a few days, wiping and restarting over and over.

Vib Rib posted:

I wasn't even aware anyone thought Tarkov was going to be fundamentally different from how it is now, or even changed in any significant way beyond some new maps, guns, and maybe some tiny economy/loot balance changes. I'd definitely prefer it as more open, sandboxy, and with fewer forced encounters, but there's no chance of that happening and I doubt it was ever on the table.
I think a more realistic wishlist would be an official offline/singleplayer/co-op mode, since there's literally a singleplayer mod that works now, and would be even easier with baseline support, but even as badly as I want it I don't think that's realistically going to happen. The devs are incredibly set in their singular vision on how the game "should" be played. Nothing wrong with that, but something fans have to be honest about.

AFAICT from pouring over ancient EFT forum posts, the original idea for the game was that it's a continuous open world, and the current way the game works was intended as a temporary mode while they flesh out all the areas. A lot of the game's flavor stems from that vision, like being able to see Reserve's radar dome from other maps. But yeah at this point it's really unlikely the game will see a significant structural change, but they have a boatload of cash so maybe they'll be more ambitious for a sequel.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

I tried SCUM on the free weekend they just had, and honestly it's not very good solo. It's essentially a Rust-like/battle royale/Day-Z where you run around scavenging for weapons and then you're supposed to shoot it out with other players I guess fighting over the resource drops.

Solo is just annoying busywork filling a ton of depleting meters and fighting anemic zombies sometimes. The crafting/building part is not super engaging either

I can certainly understand this sentiment. The thing is, the whole PVE side of the game is still pretty much non-existent (a sentence I've written more than once in this very thread). I think the master plan is to start moving towards this area with the next big update, 0.7. But as of now you don't have much else to do than loot stuff, try to survive and maybe fortify/build a base. (of course you can say what else do you need to do in a survival game?)

The game constantly moves towards a situation where it will be less of a scavenge / loot&shoot type of game and more or a race against the actual survival against elements & the game world itself. I'm fairly positive about the devs' vision, even though it's taking them a while to get there.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

In Vintage Story I have spent hours and hours exploring the surface, prospecting new areas for signs of iron ore, but also more gold/silver to continue making black bronze to keep making tools. I’d find a little gold and silver and know I’d have enough material to keep hunting for iron. I made shaft after shaft trying to locate iron veins to no avail.

I found an area where I got a “decent” reading of hematite and make my way back home, planning how many ladders I should bring over. I’ve only got two hours or so of daylight, but I can meander a bit in case I find something useful. I see a 2x2 depression in the ground, note openness under, and think, “ah, natural shaft, eh those never have anything but gotta check anyway….” Especially since I’ve been back and forth over this region over a dozen times.

And lo did I see 20 blocks down reddish brown blotches in the local granite stone and, carefully making my way down, discovered a huge vein of rich hematite. I mined about 10 out before I remembered it was going to be night soon and ran home, making the last leg for the bright patch in the distance unable to see the ground at my feet.

But iron! I found it! IRON!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HelloSailorSign posted:

In Vintage Story I have spent hours and hours exploring the surface, prospecting new areas for signs of iron ore, but also more gold/silver to continue making black bronze to keep making tools. I’d find a little gold and silver and know I’d have enough material to keep hunting for iron. I made shaft after shaft trying to locate iron veins to no avail.

I found an area where I got a “decent” reading of hematite and make my way back home, planning how many ladders I should bring over. I’ve only got two hours or so of daylight, but I can meander a bit in case I find something useful. I see a 2x2 depression in the ground, note openness under, and think, “ah, natural shaft, eh those never have anything but gotta check anyway….” Especially since I’ve been back and forth over this region over a dozen times.

And lo did I see 20 blocks down reddish brown blotches in the local granite stone and, carefully making my way down, discovered a huge vein of rich hematite. I mined about 10 out before I remembered it was going to be night soon and ran home, making the last leg for the bright patch in the distance unable to see the ground at my feet.

But iron! I found it! IRON!

Congratulations. One nice thing is that hematite veins when you find them tend to be quite large, so you'll have enough iron like, forever.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

I’ve not done Green Hell
Thanks for the recommendations ill check them out!

30.5 Days posted:

Not an ocean guy personally but ill check it out if it goes on sale

GlyphGryph posted:

Do you also want survival games that are perfectly enjoyable single player even if they are considered to be better multiplayer support, or just games that exclusively single player?

Either or really im just looking to get my feet wet so to say. I liked Unreal World but that game dose not have an end goal witch always bugged me I know thats not really the point of these games but I want something to do after I get a stable footing. Maybe I should try finishing a Minecraft game before I dip into these?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

dbzfandiego posted:

Not an ocean guy personally but ill check it out if it goes on sale

I'm not an ocean dude either - I can barely swim - but hot drat that game has got just a perfect level of tension when you're exploring and evaluating new places (as long as you don't try to read beforehand about how to defeat things or become top of the food chain). Playing it through as maybe mid tier on the food chain is just exquisite.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Subnautica isnt perfect, but in terms of survival games with an actual end game its second to no other game I can think of.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Subnautica isnt perfect, but in terms of survival games with an actual end game its second to no other game I can think of.

Raft is still in early access but I've loved the story so far. You hop from story island to story island but the gradual reveal is amazing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Raft has a good story but does not remotely have an end game, since it just stops abruptly ???% of the way through (on account of them developing it in order)

Also honestly the story that is there isn't that great (far better than survival game standard, but nowhere near subnautica) and, imo, is mostly an excuse to include some mechanics progression and add new locations and some somewhat pathetic mobs to fight so they can say the game has combat.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GlyphGryph posted:

I also find it funny the origin behind it (none weapon game after Newtown) and while the game has no "guns" there are still tons of killing options available.

It's a great game, so I don't want to see I'm making GBS threads on the devs, just that it's kind of funny/ironic how it worked out.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Congratulations. One nice thing is that hematite veins when you find them tend to be quite large, so you'll have enough iron like, forever.

Steel seems needlessly complicated for little benefit particularly while rolling in piles of iron bloom. I’ve also not got a source of bauxite or titanium ore for better refractory blocks.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HelloSailorSign posted:

Steel seems needlessly complicated for little benefit particularly while rolling in piles of iron bloom. I’ve also not got a source of bauxite or titanium ore for better refractory blocks.

I got about halfway through the process of making a cementation furnace and gave up. Seems like something that might be tolerable if you have a group of people in multiplayer but it's just SO MUCH collecting materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is Icarus a good game or worth playing? I've long wanted a more co-op oriented survival game where you go from tribal level tech to guns and spaceships. I never liked the whole dinosaur thing in ARK so I bounced off it.